STU Tommies, Part 2

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Making my way out of the rink tonight I listened to some of the old timers ranting about this loss. In particular the goaltending. I'm pretty sure they win this game if they still had Groenhyde in net. To make matters worse Teichmann left the game with a what looked like a groin pull towards the end of the third. The players obviously looked pretty deflated at the end of the game. Going to be interested in reading the coach's comments in Monday's paper.

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
Never hurts to add a guys who averaged over a point per game in Junior. I wonder...was he looking for a shot at pro or something this fall? I'm sure he would have been on a number of CIS team's radars throughout the summer.

Where does that leave STU in terms of the roster cap? I wonder of that means they don't expect to see Tyson Fawcett at Christmas like they were hoping?

STU has currently used 19 skaters so far this year, which leaves 3 open roster spots to be used. Their online roster lists Shane McColgan and Jason Trott as on the team although they haven't played a game yet. Hall would take the last roster spot assuming the Tommies aren't planning on sitting either of the two above for the year.

As far as Hall, is another scorer what a team giving up 6.5 goals a game needs? I was already relatively impressed with the forward ranks for the Tommies. The main weaknesses I have seen are their goaltending and the turnovers from their defensemen leading them to get hemmed in their zone.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Giving up 5 straight goals to Dal is not a recipe for a playoff spot. STU has to win these games to have even a sniff of post season.

DK46

Jun 21, 2012
Hanwell, NB
Took in my 2nd STU game this season (last night a 9-5 lost to Acadia) and unless it is just coincidence but this team in both games had a terrible defensive system, they have no mobility, breakouts were a mess etc...goaltending was weak too but a few goals STU might as well covered their hands over their goalie's eyes as that is how bad he was screened by his on team on a few goals.

Either this coaching staff needs to go or they really need to up the recruiting. Some poor skaters on this STU team too. Playoffs are a pipe dream.

The team didn't seem to care from the start of the game. No fight right from the puck drop. They seemed more concerned with telling the ref who got the assists on their 2nd goal making it 5-2 then getting back into the game and showing some life. Spoke volumes to me.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Actually as of right now they are fourth in the league in scoring. For the last few years they have been last. They had a good recruiting year but lost their number one goalie Groenhyde along with a couple of other players who left before graduation. They definitely aren't making the playoffs this year but I don't think they are completely hopeless. Getting a goalie is certainly going to be the number one priority for next season.

At the very least their games are exciting to watch.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Either this coaching staff needs to go or they really need to up the recruiting.

Correct me if I am wrong...but I am thinking you haven't paid much attention to the Tommies for the last 5 or 6 years? Obviously the wins aren't there and they need to bring in some more quality players (especially on D and in net), but this is the most promising coach and roster they have had in quite some time. What Powers has done to their roster in basically one off-season (he came aboard late in the summer of 2013 when many of top quality players had already committed) is pretty remarkable, IMO anyways. They are on the right track.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It is a work in progress, to be sure. It will take 2-3 years to even get close to a playoff spot. They have a couple of good players and need a few more. They got rid of some deadwood and malcontents; they now have to build with character guys.

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
This is notna rant!

Is that comment considered "civil"?

This is NOT intended to be a rant against any particular referee,like THAYER DOYLE for example!

But would anybody know if the previously.mentioned THAYER DOYLE has been banned from officiating in the QMJL???

And if so,why would be,THAYER DOYLE be allowed to continue to referee in the AUS.

I believe back in the day Coach McAda.complained abouthisnpeeformanve as aRwferee.

NOT that I am trying to suggest that THAYER DOYLE is responsible for the Tommies record BUT that THAYER DOYLE should only be assigned in keeping with his demonstrated abilities or lack of same.

THE LEAGUE IS considerably above his abilities and house league hockey would be a better match.

If anybody could clarify.my maybe misconceptions of Her Doyle's abilities please do.

RANTFATHER

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
This is notna rant!

Is that comment considered "civil"?

This is NOT intended to be a rant against any particular referee,like THAYER DOYLE for example!

But would anybody know if the previously.mentioned THAYER DOYLE has been banned from officiating in the QMJL???

And if so,why would be,THAYER DOYLE be allowed to continue to referee in the AUS.

I believe back in the day Coach McAda.complained abouthisnpeeformanve as aRwferee.

NOT that I am trying to suggest that THAYER DOYLE is responsible for the Tommies record BUT that THAYER DOYLE should only be assigned in keeping with his demonstrated abilities or lack of same.

THE LEAGUE IS considerably above his abilities and house league hockey would be a better match.

If anybody could clarify.my maybe misconceptions of Her Doyle's abilities please do.

RANTFATHER

DravCat

Nov 26, 2014

RANTFATHER

If Thayer was refereeing when AL was coaching in the league, he has had a pretty good career of almost 20 years of officiating in the league. Rantfather I am not sure what your qualifications are to judge officiating but one thing is true is all you do is rant and Doyle is your new Mike Eagles.

Here is the contact information for the QMJHL maybe they can answer your question for you.
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
1205 Ampère street | office #101
Boucherville, Quebec | J4B 7M6
phone: (450) 650-0500 | fax: (450) 650-0510
[email protected]

You want to know what is responsible for STU record it is bad team defense not Thayer Doyle. The team is a minus -33 on goal difference. They have let in 25 more goals than the next closes team. The issue is you need to keep the puck out of the net to win hockey games. The blame for STU record rest solely on the coaching staffs who recruits the players that are on the ice and implements the tactics that are played by the team in game. I have yet to see a referee score goals for a team. There are larger issues with the STU Tommies than one referee.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Might as well stir the soup a little more.

I know you guys in Fredericton absolutely hate him, both sides of the city, but I'll take Thayer to refereee any of our games, he's even come to do a few here in Moncton and I don't have anything bad to say about him.

I'm not sure what his status with the Q is, nor do I really care. Half of the referee's we see in NS aren't certified to be in the Q either, so your point isn't valid. And being in the Q (or in the pro's) doesn't automatically make you better, some bad ones everywhere ;)

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Might as well stir the soup a little more.

I know you guys in Fredericton absolutely hate him, both sides of the city, but I'll take Thayer to refereee any of our games, he's even come to do a few here in Moncton and I don't have anything bad to say about him.

I'm not sure what his status with the Q is, nor do I really care. Half of the referee's we see in NS aren't certified to be in the Q either, so your point isn't valid. And being in the Q (or in the pro's) doesn't automatically make you better, some bad ones everywhere ;)

He's got a really bad track record with both teams here in Fredericton.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
maybe give the CBC a call, they might be able to use another Doyle! thus take him off your hands.

DK46

Jun 21, 2012
Hanwell, NB
Correct me if I am wrong...but I am thinking you haven't paid much attention to the Tommies for the last 5 or 6 years? Obviously the wins aren't there and they need to bring in some more quality players (especially on D and in net), but this is the most promising coach and roster they have had in quite some time. What Powers has done to their roster in basically one off-season (he came aboard late in the summer of 2013 when many of top quality players had already committed) is pretty remarkable, IMO anyways. They are on the right track.

I'll admit the coaching reference to being replaced was a bit much. I've been to 4 to 5 games per year over the past 5-6 years so I'll concede that I am not the expert on the topic but weren't they on the right track at one point with Troy Ryan as coach . Regardless of all that I do place blame on the coaching (maybe not Powers directly) for a completely disorganized blueline even if the talent is not the strongest.

DravCat

Nov 26, 2014
I'll admit the coaching reference to being replaced was a bit much. I've been to 4 to 5 games per year over the past 5-6 years so I'll concede that I am not the expert on the topic but weren't they on the right track at one point with Troy Ryan as coach . Regardless of all that I do place blame on the coaching (maybe not Powers directly) for a completely disorganized blueline even if the talent is not the strongest.
5 of 7 d currently on the team have been Powers recruits. They need to fix their back end if they want to make play-offs.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
STU is not in a position to recruit Chris Owens, Ben Shutron, Andrew Hotham, etc. They get the best guys they can afford. They will need to get much better on the ice before they can get top-tier players. It's a Catch-22: they can't get top players cause the team is not good and the team is not good because they can't get top players.

DravCat

Nov 26, 2014
STU is not in a position to recruit Chris Owens, Ben Shutron, Andrew Hotham, etc. They get the best guys they can afford. They will need to get much better on the ice before they can get top-tier players. It's a Catch-22: they can't get top players cause the team is not good and the team is not good because they can't get top players.

I agree with you that they are in Catch-22 situation with regards to recruiting d-men. They will need to find some diamonds in the rough like they been able to do with their forwards in Campbell and Campagna. STU is going to need find a couple puck moving defensemen that can get the puck out of their own end, chip-in offensively and can skate effectively at the AUS level not look like pylons.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I agree with you that they are in Catch-22 situation with regards to recruiting d-men. They will need to find some diamonds in the rough like they been able to do with their forwards in Campbell and Campagna. STU is going to need find a couple puck moving defensemen that can get the puck out of their own end, chip-in offensively and can skate effectively at the AUS level not look like pylons.

They are fourth in the league in scoring right now. Not sure how many years since they've been in that spot. If they had kept Groenhyde from last year goaltending would not have been an issue like it is this year. They probably would have had a couple of more wins at least. Although the playoffs would still have been unlikely.

So basically they have to retain the forwards they have, recruit a new goalie and better D. I know STU fans are frustrated but they situation is far from hopeless.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It's a Catch-22: they can't get top players cause the team is not good and the team is not good because they can't get top players.

Bingo...it is a vicious cycle that is hard to get out of. I agree with DravCat...they need to bring in some unheralded defenceman and develop them into top players, since they probably won't be able to bring in top tier CHL recruits. That's where the coaching staff will be key.

cookiecutter1

Jan 14, 2015
Where do we go from here? I go to the games strictly for entertainment and cheer for the Tommies. I am not invested in trashing players and coaches. Last game. I was ten minutes late and the game was long settled against PEI by the time I sat down. For the city of Fredericton our two university teams are our "semi pro teams". Sadly STU is not able to measure up. So, is it a University issue(not enough course offerings), a top end issue (AD), a coach issue, a player issue, or simply what top end player would choose STU with top team offers on the table?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I don't think it is just one issue with the team, it's a combination of things. It's unfortunate, at one time they were a competitive team and made attending UNB - STU games entertaining (although there have been some very entertaining games in the recent years - but are few and far between). I honestly think that they may be on the right track to getting things straightened around, hopefully they are on that track, because success would strengthen their recruiting efforts.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
He's got a really bad track record with both teams here in Fredericton.

Speaking of Doyle, he was doing the UNB-STU game tonight, not sure if it was him that called the delay of game on UNB before the start of the game or not, sounds like him though..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad