Post-Game Talk: Streaking Jets 6 - Mustard Kittens 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Also, am an admitted Ehlers stan, but I think we need to give him some grace.

Injured before the season, I think that's likely what is affecting his game so much. He has long been the best possession driving forward on this team and we still definitely need that on this team seeing as our top line doesn't drive possession really at all.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I was one of the posters down on KC at the beginning of the season. He was playing so soft and timid and wasn't contributing much at all. He was actually killing plays because he wouldn't even attempt to go to the boards and try to win a puck battle.

He is not only scoring now, but there is an urgency to his game and he is actually not (too) bad outside of the offensive zone. He is playing with less fear of contact.

I understand that he's never going to be a bruiser, but in order to keep scoring, he has to stay engaged in the play and that's exactly what he's doing now.

I've decided he can stay for now :laugh:

Nov 24, 2006
Think it's pretty simple when Vilardi comes back.

Decide if Iafallo still warrants the top line spot over Vilardi other wise:

Either Vilardi or Perfetti goes to C on the second line, Namestnikov to the 4th line.
Was thinking about this too.

With lines 1 and 3 clicking so well, if they still are clicking when Vilardi comes back, they may stick him on line 2. Slow Gus heads to the PB I'd imagine.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
So we had another great game which I didn't get to see. This side hustle of working nights, even part-time, has gotten old really quickly. Sure the money is really good but I'm going to quit anyway, said no woman ever.

Looking at the online highlights, it appears we were really flying. Looking at the board comments, it appears that some people will never be happy with this team. I don't get this. We're in third place, one point out of first, the big line is scoring, the defence is blocking tons of shot. But some folks here will continue to snipe at individual players like they're auditioning for the next Mean Girls remake.

I'd suggest some people here need to read the Oilers pages for a while.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
So we had another great game which I didn't get to see. This side hustle of working nights, even part-time, has gotten old really quickly. Sure the money is really good but I'm going to quit anyway, said no woman ever.

Looking at the online highlights, it appears we were really flying. Looking at the board comments, it appears that some people will never be happy with this team. I don't get this. We're in third place, one point out of first, the big line is scoring, the defence is blocking tons of shot. But some folks here will continue to snipe at individual players like they're auditioning for the next Mean Girls remake.

"We're not happy till you're not happy"
Willy Nelson

;)

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
One of the sexiest Jets goals in a while.

:thumbu:

Thats Real Hot Chevy.gif

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Agreed. So many times he's in the right lanes expecting a pass but Ehlers just trys to do it himself or does his long range low danger shot while Cole is in a better spot.

I'd be tempted to create a real 4 line team when Vilardi is back.

Conner Scheifele Iafallo
Gus Perfetti Vilardi (Gus reads well off him(
Nino Lowry Appelton
Namestnikov Kupari Ehlers
Their styles clash. It bottlenecks that line. You could see when Ehlers took a shorter shift last night,
Perfetti instantly works better; no matter who else is out there. It was a 20 second treat. Perfetti reminds me of the Buffalo version of Hawerchuk ('92-'93), which raises the team's collective IQ, even if it's under the radar. You NEED his style in the playoffs.

This lineup makes the most sense to me, with the intention that the 4th line gets +10 minutes per game. If the Jets were to make a deep run in the playoffs, they NEED 4 lines worth of depth to do so. The 1st line playing 17 to 18 minutes is ideal, as they have more juice in the tank, and can concentrate on playing with better focus/purpose. +20 minutes screams of burnout.

As an aside, I think Namestnikov's numbers would go up if he were to stay on the 2nd line. I'd also like to see Mogan Barron make a jump (already), rather than just have the very odd game where he suggests that he's Glen Murray <-> John LeClair (range).

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Or read the Leafs pages...

:thumbu:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Also, am an admitted Ehlers stan, but I think we need to give him some grace.

Injured before the season, I think that's likely what is affecting his game so much. He has long been the best possession driving forward on this team and we still definitely need that on this team seeing as our top line doesn't drive possession really at all.

Agree.

His injury presented as one that's got a rep as an easier fix / trickier recovery for an elite athlete especially. You'll often see stepped plateaus with pauses rather than a smooth, linear trajectory to full function.

For a player who has relied on his speed and on making plays at speed for his whole career, it must be frustrating to be behind the play so regularly, and you can see that over quite a few shifts (less recently), despite the effort.

Ehlers has been a good soldier for a long time for this team. Not sure he deserves the piling on.

But great to see the team playing such quick, committed, decisive hockey -- goals like the KFC breakaway beauty last night come with confidence, something we haven't seen much of over the past few years.

This team is legit fun to watch, at last.

Reactions: Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Scheif playing 200' game is SO refreshing after having been absent for quite a while. And it is a huge difference maker to the results. doesn't seem to be hurting his scoring. Who'da thunk it? :naughty:

If we can do this well with our (so far) poor goaltending we will be near unstoppable when Helle gets going.

With Samberg taking another big step forward and Pionk playing much better our D corps is also looking respectable. Schmidt is still weak. I hope he can and will do better.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
For a player who has relied on his speed and on making plays at speed for his whole career, it must be frustrating to be behind the play so regularly, and you can see that over quite a few shifts (less recently), despite the effort.
Maybe - but IMO, there's more to this than recovering from injury -
This player has more than enough speed to keep up with Perfetti and makes plays.
I think this has more to do with what is going on in his head -
His game needs to adapt to a team that is playing with more structure - and playing with players that are using their head.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This player has more than enough speed to keep up with Perfetti and makes plays.
His game needs to adapt to a team that is playing with more structure - and playing with players that are using their head.

I agree with this. I also think we are seeing some of why most of our top skilled players don't seem to like playing with him. He's much like Kane in that he generally gets his points doing it himself. Also like Kane he's not the best at reading off his linemates and involving them. It's one of the reasons why PP1 took a noticeable jump without him. While Cole is miscast in the bumper he's still reading off his teammates and rotating out and in when needed which makes it more multifaceted and dangerous.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
"We're not happy till you're not happy"
Willy Nelson

;)

:naughty:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I agree with this. I also think we are seeing some of why most of our top skilled players don't seem to like playing with him. He's much like Kane in that he generally gets his points doing it himself. Also like Kane he's not the best at reading off his linemates and involving them. It's one of the reasons why PP1 took a noticeable jump without him. While Cole is miscast in the bumper he's still reading off his teammates and rotating out and in when needed which makes it more multifaceted and dangerous.

IDK. Feels a bit like miscasting to equate Nik to E Kane, given the playmaking that he's long shown himself to be capable of.

But I can't really watch the games in realtime anymore, so maybe I'm missing something you're seeing.

Anyway, my new schedule makes catching up next to impossible these days. Looking forward to an exciting playoff run to watch later this year. Here's to a great season, team and fans!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
IDK. Feels a bit like miscasting to equate Nik to E Kane, given the playmaking that he's long shown himself to be capable of.

But I can't really watch the games in realtime anymore, so maybe I'm missing something you're seeing.

Anyway, my new schedule makes catching up next to impossible these days. Looking forward to an exciting playoff run to watch later this year. Here's to a great season, team and fans!

Ehlers is a better playmaker then Kane. I just meant more in terms of they have similarities in that they both like to have a lot of the puck and that they like to shoot a lot from everywhere. Ehlers is more dynamic but both players could utilize their teammates better. I think both actually do better on lines with players that let them have the puck on their stick a lot.

I'm not trying to say he's a bad player. He's an excellent player when on his game. I think he just works better when the line he's on revolves mostly on him. Ditto for the pp. He seems to do better when he dictates his unit.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That's not baiting. Claiming ppl screaming Connor to be traded to get some sort of reaction is.

How many posters ever posted we should trade Connor since the start of the season?

I've seen 1 poster, which is barely anything on a section of a forum that has 100+ posters. but seems like you keep track of it so I'm sure you can reference the large amount screaming to trade Connor.
I’m pretty sure we all get to call it as we see it.

Ehlers is a better playmaker then Kane. I just meant more in terms of they have similarities in that they both like to have a lot of the puck and that they like to shoot a lot from everywhere. Ehlers is more dynamic but both players could utilize their teammates better. I think both actually do better on lines with players that let them have the puck on their stick a lot.

I'm not trying to say he's a bad player. He's an excellent player when on his game. I think he just works better when the line he's on revolves mostly on him. Ditto for the pp. He seems to do better when he dictates his unit.
Which is unlikely to happen on a team as deep as we are at forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad