Post-Game Talk: Streaking Jets 6 - Mustard Kittens 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
There is a difference from criticism of play with an analysis of what may be impacting play and screaming that players must go anytime they struggle.

lol yeah fair. Sometimes we are quick to talk trades when players have a little down stretch (which is obviously the worst possible time to trade someone). I like Connor a lot but admit to getting frustrated with his play lately. Hope he keeps this up, really nice to see that line clicking like this.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yea i can't believe when players play bad people say they play bad then when they play good people don't say they play bad, weird stuff indeed.

Very happy to see Connor picking it up, especially looking engaged in the dzone
Yup.
The line was not playing at this level previously and ppl commented on it. It's been on a heater as of later.... And ppl are commenting on it. Seems like that post just trying to bait and stir shit up for some reason.

Reactions: GNP and Jack7222

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
lol yeah fair. Sometimes we are quick to talk trades when players have a little down stretch (which is obviously the worst possible time to trade someone). I like Connor a lot but admit to getting frustrated with his play lately. Hope he keeps this up, really nice to see that line clicking like this.
I never thought I would say this again, but I’m so glad I can now. Scheifele is back to doing the dirty work on that line and Connor is benefitting immensely. Scheifele‘s effort and willingness to get engaged is getting back to his 2016 effort and engagement levels and it’s working wonders for that line.
Nice to see the change in his game. I wasn’t sure that it was there anymore.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think moving Perfetti to wing after the start of the season was a great move for him and the team. Not saying that he wont be a centre down the road but for the rest of the year I hope he stays on the wing when Vilardi comes back.
So many options with our forwards this season, i love it. Even if Dubois helps LA that trade was a great one in every way and the best player apparently that we got in the trade has only played 2 games for us. Can't wait to see what we are like with Valardi in the lineup.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I never thought I would say this again, but I’m so glad I can now. Scheifele is back to doing the dirty work on that line and Connor is benefitting immensely. Scheifele‘s effort and willingness to get engaged is getting back to his 2016 effort and engagement levels and it’s working wonders for that line.
Nice to see the change in his game. I wasn’t sure that it was there anymore.
He's made some great plays in the D zone, and turning it into offense against STL. I missed this game but saw some comments of the same. THIS is the type of play or concerted effort that folks had been hoping to see on a more consistent basis since the 17-18 season.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
As my son would say...nice

nice-south.gif

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup.
The line was not playing at this level previously and ppl commented on it. It's been on a heater as of later.... And ppl are commenting on it. Seems like that post just trying to bait and stir shit up for some reason.
Love HF Boards Jets where talking about how well Jets players are playing can be considered baiting. I thought we were all Jets fans?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers is frustrating me to no end these days. He's either guilty of trying to globtrot the other team doing it all himself or he's misfiring on his passes when trying to use his teammates. I don't think he's really found his niche in this new system and on his line.
I’ll be honest I don’t like Ehlers and Perfetti together. Ehlers plays an unpredictable game which is hard to read off of. I think Perfetti works best when players are where they are supposed to be in the attack zone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’ll be honest I don’t like Ehlers and Perfetti together. Ehlers plays an unpredictable game which is hard to read off of. I think Perfetti works best when players are where they are supposed to be in the attack zone.

Agreed. So many times he's in the right lanes expecting a pass but Ehlers just trys to do it himself or does his long range low danger shot while Cole is in a better spot.

I'd be tempted to create a real 4 line team when Vilardi is back.

Conner Scheifele Iafallo
Gus Perfetti Vilardi (Gus reads well off him(
Nino Lowry Appelton
Namestnikov Kupari Ehlers

Reactions: Dale53130

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Love HF Boards Jets where talking about how well Jets players are playing can be considered baiting. I thought we were all Jets fans?
That's not baiting. Claiming ppl screaming Connor to be traded to get some sort of reaction is.

How many posters ever posted we should trade Connor since the start of the season?

I've seen 1 poster, which is barely anything on a section of a forum that has 100+ posters. but seems like you keep track of it so I'm sure you can reference the large amount screaming to trade Connor.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Agreed. So many times he's in the right lanes expecting a pass but Ehlers just trys to do it himself or does his long range low danger shot while Cole is in a better spot.

I'd be tempted to create a real 4 line team when Vilardi is back.

Conner Scheifele Iafallo
Gus Perfetti Vilardi (Gus reads well off him(
Nino Lowry Appelton
Namestnikov Kupari Ehlers
Ehlers is in the crosshairs now that Connor is scoring 🤪

I'd actually like to see what ehlers could do with kupari though... he always plays better with a net crashing play driver like copper

Barron-kup-ehlers could be really good

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Ehlers is in the crosshairs now that Connor is scoring 🤪

I'd actually like to see what ehlers could do with kupari though... he always plays better with a net crashing play driver like copper

Barron-kup-ehlers could be really good

I like that line a lot. Tons of speed

Reactions: GNP

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
This board is hilarious when it comes to our backups.

When they're here we bash them, when they leave we bemoan it.

Maybe, just maybe backup goalies aren't fantastic and that's why, well, they're backups :)
I'm way more confident with having Brossoit in net than when we had Rittich. Just happy in the past 5 years or so not having to have a different backup in net each year.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I don't think you separate Names and Ehlers, they seem to play really well together. Agree though that Perfetti isn't the right winger for that line at all, they don't seem to have any chemistry. I want to see Perfetti with one of Schief / Connor / Vilardi and see what happens...

Wonder if you could swap Iafallo and Fetts without damaging the lines. Has Perfetti played that side?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think you separate Names and Ehlers, they seem to play really well together. Agree though that Perfetti isn't the right winger for that line at all, they don't seem to have any chemistry. I want to see Perfetti with one of Schief / Connor / Vilardi and see what happens...

Wonder if you could swap Iafallo and Fetts without damaging the lines. Has Perfetti played that side?

Yes, he played RW his first year with Dubois and Conner.

But I think you need to keep a digger on line one. Actually with our schemes I think you need a mucker on each line.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
So many reasons to be excited about the Jets right now.

1 point out of first in the Central
Only 4 regulation losses

We're here considering:
We haven't had our 1RW all year
Ehlers has been mostly absent
Our goaltending has been below average
Our special teams have been bad (getting better)
We have Schmidt

The new guys, the reborn guys, active d and really strong 5v5 play have really led the charge for us.

We know our goaltending will be better, we're getting Gabe back, hopefully Heinola, and you have to think Ehlers is going to figure it out (he's getting a little better each game)

I always said we'd be fighting for first in the Central. f*** Vegas is the class of the league but I think we'll be right up there with them when all is said and done

I told you there was a reason why I bought into this team after three games. They are playing a brand of hockey we haven't seen in years, with depth we haven't seen in an equal time. I mean, you have Scheifele backchecking. Scheifele. If that's not buy in, I don't know what is. Goaltending needs to figure itself out. Even eternal optimist Kevin Sawyer has been critical of a few things regarding Schmidt and Brossoit.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I agree on Ehlers game - he is unpredictable
I'd also say that many/most players struggle when playing with that type of player - so moving him is not really the answer IMO (although I understand the point, just not necessarily the solution).

I think the onus is on Ehlers to adjust his game to better suit the systems and his linemates - that won't be easy because he has always played pretty loose out there and not necessarily using his linemates as much as most players would. He's a possession player who likes to carry the puck - maybe a bit too much.

Coaching needs to step in and work with him - and maybe they already have which might lead to why he is sometimes seeing reduced minutes.
He might be struggling with changing his game. I assume the team will continue to work with him on this - and we'll need to be patient. But at some point, they will expect him to adapt.

I'm watching his game a lot lately - and it looks like he is trying to shift his game a bit. He is not hanging onto the puck as much as he was - and he's trying to make more plays (or be in a better position to be part of the play) - but you can tell he is still learning how to play this way.
His passing is off - he is still waiting too long to make the play. Without the blinders on, he might be having some difficulty reading / digesting the game and his options. Things become a lot more complex when you are expected to keep an eye on your linemates and the defenders, anticipate, and make plays. For a guy that has done it on his own most of his career, this has to be a huge change.

Hope they can sort it out - he has all the skill to be a huge asset to any line he plays on - coaching will play a significant role in transitioning his game.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Yes, he played RW his first year with Dubois and Conner.

But I think you need to keep a digger on line one. Actually with our schemes I think you need a mucker on each line.

Probably right. Two good offensemen is enough firepower for a line. Maybe that leaves Perfetti and Vilardi playing together, and Ehlers and Namest on another line?

Saw your suggestion of trying Gus with Perfetti / Vilardi. Feels harsh putting Ehlers on 4th though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad