Online Series: Stranger Things (A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's)

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Haven't finished the season yet, but do we really need a season 4? These actors are only getting older.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
The overacting by some of these kids made me quit, especially Mike and El. Billy and Max have been pretty good additions since season 2 though.

Reactions: ArchAngel55

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think its too obvious that The American is Hopper. I do suspect that Hopper is coming back, but I think The American is someone else. I wouldnt complain if it was Hop tho

For some reason I think the American is Barb :laugh: It's probably Hopper though

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
For some reason I think the American is Barb :laugh: It's probably Hopper though
It is probably PAPA. Anyways what an average season filled with way too much garbage to even really come close to what the 1st season was. The first 3 episodes 85 percent of it was used to show how annoying each character is outside of whenever something supernatural happens. The fact they had Dustin singing a duet with his gf in the midst of a giant f***ing monster on the loose shows how dumb a lot of this season was.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Better than season 2. Season 4 will probably have a year or two time jump, depending on how soon they to filming it.

Dusty-bun & Suzie-poo :yo:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Season 1 was so special, I don't know if it can be topped. But this season came very, very close, if not did it. I'm usually annoyed at shows taking this long of a break, but they delivered a real quality season. I loved the mall, the outfits, the music, it was all so fun. The storyline was excellent, the acting was great, the writing was amazing, and I thought the character chemistries were amazing - I loved the Russian and Bald Eagle together :laugh:

It was sad to see Hopper die, but I thought it was a great twist and went with his character arc really well. It'll be interesting to see if he's the American, although it seems like it could be a setup to be a different American.

I thought they could have ended the series with that ending. It's sad, sure, but it would wrap up the story pretty nicely.

I was a little disappointed with no action in the Upside Down, and a little disappointed Eleven's powers were MIA at the end. She's gotten more stronger and more badass in every Season, so I was looking forward to seeing her showdown against a hungry and prime Mind Flayer.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think the pay off is going to be her finding love and being accepted for who she is and not what she was. Love is likely draining her powers or something in season four. So, they will seperate so she can fight the monsters, but realize love is more important than the Upside Down. Hopper returns and closes the Upside Down forever while he and Winona Ryder kiss and die to save the kids and finally be together. Pay me Netflix. I already wrote your season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just finished it. I liked it. It was better than Season 2, especially because it didn't have an episode like that Chicago episode, thankfully. Speaking of which, imagine if the internet hadn't trashed that episode and scared the writers away from that plot line. This season might've gone in a very different, X-men-like direction. I don't know about saying that this season is better than Season 1, though, because there was a freshness, innocence and initial mystery in Season 1 that just can't be duplicated. It also gets harder to accept the implausibility of everything, but, working under that handicap, they still did an admirable job this season.

I loved all of the 80s details, like the Waldenbooks and Sam Goody stores in the mall. I remember those being fixtures in practically every mall in America back in the 80s. The producers could've made up look-alike stores (and maybe saved on licensing or getting permission), but didn't. Also, it really impressed me that even the cereal boxes in the grocery store were era correct. I remember Mr. T cereal and, especially, the Ghostbusters cereal in the black box, since I wanted it so badly as a child. The incorporation of Back to the Future was cool, too, and made sense considering that it was the biggest movie in the Summer of '85, which is when this season was set.

I could've done without some of the manufactured drama, like characters making bad decisions and handling situations in the worst possible ways to escalate them into quarrels, but that's television for you.
Also, the scene in which Joyce turns the keys near the end rubbed me the wrong way for a number of reasons. First of all, she waited just long enough for Billy to die, which seemed awfully convenient for the writers' purposes. Secondly, and even more importantly, Joyce and Hopper exchange a look like they know that turning the keys will kill him. If they know that, though, why in the world is Hopper standing there like an idiot and not running for the exit or at least cover? Also, it seems quite out of character for Joyce to turn the keys with the knowledge that it might kill him. The Joyce that I feel that I know would refuse and ensure that Hopper was at least under cover first. In all, that whole segment just seemed sloppily written to effect a certain level of drama and sentimentality.

As a few others have said, it seems obvious that they're leaving the door open for a Hopper return. He was never actually shown dying, after all, which is always a tell. Obviously, he can't just crawl out from the rubble, though, because he was still missing after 3 months, so he would've had to have been transported somewhere far away, and there just happens to be an American in the Russian prison. The explosion could've sent him through the rift and to the upside down, where he could've found and exited through a rift that he thought was the one that he came through, only to be immediately arrested by Russians. After all, the Russians must have opened another rift in their home country because they have their own upside down creature there. In fact, Hopper traveling through the American rift to the upside down to the Russian rift is the reverse of what the Russians might've been trying to achieve, which is to infiltrate America (Red Dawn like) by traveling from Russia through the upside down to rural Indiana.

Edit: I recently learned that the girl who plays Robin (in the sailor outfit) is the daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. That's some pedigree. I can't be cynical about her casting, though, because she did a great job, IMO.
Someone said that he didn't like that El was powerless at the end, but that's something that I liked. When she lost her powers, I rolled my eyes because it seemed like more manufactured drama and I anticipated that she would recover them at the very end to save the day... as usual. It surprised me that that didn't happen. For once, the day was saved by the other characters, which I found really refreshing.

Was anyone else confused about why the family was packing up and moving at the end? I feel that that could've been explained or, if I missed something earlier in the season, re-explained. My confusion over that and trying to recall or reason why they were moving caused the sentimentality to not resonate as strongly as it could've. They could've also made it a bit more clear that El was being taken in by Joyce and moving away with them. It feels like there might've been scenes clarifying these things that were unwisely edited out because the episode was already running so long.

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I just finished it. I liked it. It was better than Season 2, especially because it didn't have an episode like that Chicago episode, thankfully. Speaking of which, imagine if the internet hadn't trashed that episode and scared the writers away from that plot line. This season might've gone in a very different, X-men-like direction. I don't know about saying that this season is better than Season 1, though, because there was a freshness, innocence and initial mystery in Season 1 that just can't be duplicated. It also gets harder to accept the implausibility of everything, but, working under that handicap, they still did an admirable job this season.

I loved all of the 80s details, like the Waldenbooks and Sam Goody stores in the mall. I remember those being fixtures in practically every mall in America back in the 80s. The producers could've made up look-alike stores (and maybe saved on licensing or getting permission), but didn't. Also, it really impressed me that even the cereal boxes in the grocery store were era correct. I remember Mr. T cereal and, especially, the Ghostbusters cereal in the black box, since I wanted it so badly as a child.

I could've done without some of the manufactured drama, like characters making bad decisions and handling situations in the worst possible ways to escalate them into quarrels, but that's television for you.
Also, it rubbed me the wrong way that two main characters died in the final episode because Winona took forever to turn the keys. Different editing could've eliminated that, but they just had to draw it out for dramatic purposes, whatever the cost.

That said, it seems obvious that they're leaving the door open for a Hopper return. He was never shown dying, yet he was still missing after 3 months, so he would've had to have been transported somewhere far away, and there's an American in the Russian prison. The explosion could've sent him through the rift and to the site of the rift that the Russians must have in their home country (because they have their own upside down creature). They might've built that Russian facility and opened the rift there in order to prove that they could do it before setting up the secret American facility, probably as a prelude to unleashing the upside creatures on America.

It's like the X-Files for teenagers. It works.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Finished season 3 today.

I personally think it was the best season. Really enjoyed it.

The production level pushes it over Season 1 for me.

It looks amazing on an OLED TV. Incredible show and incredible production. I was expecting it to lose a bit with the added quality, but not at all. Just as good.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I've now watched 5 of the 8 episodes. As someone who wasn't too hot on this show (thought Season 1 was decent but got completely overrated, and thought Season 2 was just bad), I'm actually enjoying this season SIGNIFICANTLY more than either of the first 2 seasons. My thoughts so far:

First of all, this is the first time that I've actually found the villain/monster to be interesting. First season was just a bad CGI monster with no real personality to it, and the 2nd just felt like this lame intangible smoke monster with stupid dog minions. With this one, there's just a lot more going on. While we've seen the aspect of the monster overtaking people's bodies and going stealth, at least the brunt of this series (so far) has been led by Billy, who has been a great addition to the cast. The Mind Flayer itself is much more interesting this season compared to the 2nd season because it's an actual tangible thing and doesn't just send these lame dogs out to do its bidding. And then you have the whole aspect of them overtaking the rats, making them go crazy and explode, which I think has been great. It gives me vibes of The Thing, even though it's obviously CGI rather than practical. Still, I think the CGI has been well done in that regard.

I think they've balanced each character's plot lines perfectly and have really enjoyed both the way they've split characters up and the commitment to keeping the characters together for so long. Obviously they'll all team up at the end (which we've already seen plenty of them do already), but so far it was all done naturally and didn't feel forced. This was a major problem with Season 2. You'd cut back to 11 and wonder why she was even in the show, or you'd cut back to certain plotlines and j8ust wait for them to be over. Whether it's Mike/Lucas/Will, Hopper/Joyce, Nancy/Jonathan, Steve/Dustin, 11/Max, or any other combo, I think they've all been pretty enjoyable and they don't stay on one thread too long.

I think 11 has been the weakest part of the show with her overacting, but they at least tried to take some of that away with the girl team-up with Max and all-in-all I think it's worked.

They've turned Hopper into a complete caricature, but it's worked. I think in the past the show has been guilty of taking itself too seriously, but I think Hopper's departure from that and essentially making him into comic relief has been a nice welcome surprise and feels like a nice homage to 80s movies that isn't as direct as "Hey, remember Dawn of the Dead?"

I've really liked Steve/Dustin. Their chemistry in S2 was great, so it's only natural they'd continue this. I really like the angle they've taken with Steve's character, being the guy who peaked in high school. Also like the thing they're doing with Will, being the one who wants to hold onto his childhood while the others have moved on, although it looks like they might drop that going forward.

I dunno, all-in-all, I think this season is just so much more fun than either of the other 2. It's not taking itself too seriously, but at the same time actually seems to have some grit/substance to it.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I've now watched 5 of the 8 episodes. As someone who wasn't too hot on this show (thought Season 1 was decent but got completely overrated, and thought Season 2 was just bad), I'm actually enjoying this season SIGNIFICANTLY more than either of the first 2 seasons. My thoughts so far:

First of all, this is the first time that I've actually found the villain/monster to be interesting. First season was just a bad CGI monster with no real personality to it, and the 2nd just felt like this lame intangible smoke monster with stupid dog minions. With this one, there's just a lot more going on. While we've seen the aspect of the monster overtaking people's bodies and going stealth, at least the brunt of this series (so far) has been led by Billy, who has been a great addition to the cast. The Mind Flayer itself is much more interesting this season compared to the 2nd season because it's an actual tangible thing and doesn't just send these lame dogs out to do its bidding. And then you have the whole aspect of them overtaking the rats, making them go crazy and explode, which I think has been great. It gives me vibes of The Thing, even though it's obviously CGI rather than practical. Still, I think the CGI has been well done in that regard.

I think they've balanced each character's plot lines perfectly and have really enjoyed both the way they've split characters up and the commitment to keeping the characters together for so long. Obviously they'll all team up at the end (which we've already seen plenty of them do already), but so far it was all done naturally and didn't feel forced. This was a major problem with Season 2. You'd cut back to 11 and wonder why she was even in the show, or you'd cut back to certain plotlines and j8ust wait for them to be over. Whether it's Mike/Lucas/Will, Hopper/Joyce, Nancy/Jonathan, Steve/Dustin, 11/Max, or any other combo, I think they've all been pretty enjoyable and they don't stay on one thread too long.

I think 11 has been the weakest part of the show with her overacting, but they at least tried to take some of that away with the girl team-up with Max and all-in-all I think it's worked.

They've turned Hopper into a complete caricature, but it's worked. I think in the past the show has been guilty of taking itself too seriously, but I think Hopper's departure from that and essentially making him into comic relief has been a nice welcome surprise and feels like a nice homage to 80s movies that isn't as direct as "Hey, remember Dawn of the Dead?"

I've really liked Steve/Dustin. Their chemistry in S2 was great, so it's only natural they'd continue this. I really like the angle they've taken with Steve's character, being the guy who peaked in high school. Also like the thing they're doing with Will, being the one who wants to hold onto his childhood while the others have moved on, although it looks like they might drop that going forward.

I dunno, all-in-all, I think this season is just so much more fun than either of the other 2. It's not taking itself too seriously, but at the same time actually seems to have some grit/substance to it.
Yep, I'm in the same boat, this was by far my favorite season of the 3.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Finished it last night - highly, highly enjoyable. Liked it better than Season 2, just a shade below Season 1 for me - but Season 1 might be one of my favorite series' of TV ever. My only real quibbles were over some minor character beats (manufactured conflicts, as some other posters in here have so eloquently described it). But I thought this season hit most - if not all - of the right emotional notes. And of course, the actors all knocked their material out of the park, returnees and newcomers alike.

"X-Files for young adults" is a pretty good descriptor, I think - early seasons of the X Files were excellent as well.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Six episodes in, this is easily the best season. I'm glad they've given Erica more screen time, she's hilarious.

I'm the opposite. I think they gave Erica way too much screen time this season because people liked her previously. She was good in small doses, but her snarkiness became completely obnoxious for me.

I really didn't like the Russian Terminator stuff either. Or Dustin singing with Suzie in the middle of an intense action sequence. Mike has morphed into a real turd of a character.

Even after all those complaints, I still really enjoyed it. Great special effects. Billy was awesome. Alexei was also amazing along with the conspiracy theory guy Murray.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I also liked 3 better than 2.

I had to smile at all of the references in the series.

The verbatim line from Sneakers "Amazing what 50 bucks can get you at the country recorder's office."

Billy dressed up as Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China.

There's plenty of them strewn about.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad