News Article: Stralman: Rangers *might* start talking extension over Olympic break

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stralman was very inconsistent and irresponsible as a Maple Leaf. I imagine that's the fanbase that killed you.

He showed a bit more offense with CBJ, but the same story.

He's a 100% different player in NY. Most people remember him as the really streaky player he was back then.

Also, I think a big turnoff with Stralman, for people who don't see him every night, is that he appears not to care due to his relaxed demeanor. That's really not the case, he's just a calm player.

It's actually an awesome trait. Eli Manning and Mariano Rivera are the same way. These are a couple of world champions, MVP's, and future hall of famers. It certainly wasn't a problem for them and it isn't for Stralman.

I actually find his level-headedness very admirable, even as I stand and shriek at my tv and throw things.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Also, I think a big turnoff with Stralman, for people who don't see him every night, is that he appears not to care due to his relaxed demeanor. That's really not the case, he's just a calm player.

It's actually an awesome trait. Eli Manning and Mariano Rivera are the same way. These are a couple of world champions, MVP's, and future hall of famers. It certainly wasn't a problem for them and it isn't for Stralman.

I actually find his level-headedness very admirable, even as I stand and shriek at my tv and throw things.

I think that is one of the reasons he is so good on breakouts, he doesn't panic when pressured and can still make good plays with forecheckers attacking him.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

I know, its a REALLY good trait for a defenseman to have. No panic in their puck game. Stralman's almost maddening calmness with the puck makes him such an asset on the breakout. It's as if nothing bothers him. I'll take that any day.

RUSF18

Nov 10, 2010
Huge fan of Stralman. Sign him up. If money becomes a problem, you can always move the player.

Exactly. It would be very stupid to let a solid asset walk away for nothing. If a kid steps up enough where one of our current d-men need to be moved, that's a great situation to be in.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Sign Stralman.

I don't think McIlrath or Allen will be as good as he is in the near future. Best case scenario, the prospects make him and/or Klein useful trade chips.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Sign Stralman.

I don't think McIlrath or Allen will be as good as he is in the near future. Best case scenario, the prospects make him and/or Klein useful trade chips.

they will not, period. McIlrath will be ready by NEXT JANUARY, the soonest... Most likely the FOLLOWING season. We should not be be depending on him to make it. I certainly hope management isn't, either.

Allen MIGHT be considered usable, but who's spot could he competently take? Moore seems to have solidified his position, and Klein is Moore's solidified partner.

Personally, I think as long as Staal is here, Allen is NOT coming up. Klein will be here for awhile, and Moore is not going anywhere.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Sign Stralman.

This is exactly what I've been saying. Make McIlrath and Allen (who also plays LD btw) earn a spot. It doesn't help the team or our prospects to hand them a spot. McDonagh wasn't handed anything, he did his time in Hartford and played well when called up. 7 days later, Rozsival was traded. Now, the return was Wolski, who was disappointing, but we did in turn flip him for a 3rd round pick.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This is exactly what I've been saying. Make McIlrath and Allen (who also plays LD btw) earn a spot. It doesn't help the team or our prospects to hand them a spot. McDonagh wasn't handed anything, he did his time in Hartford and played well when called up. 7 days later, Rozsival was traded. Now, the return was Wolski, who was disappointing, but we did in turn flip him for a 3rd round pick.

THank you.

SIck of people expecting a prospect to just wam-bam-wow them during training camp... How often does that actually happen?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
sign anton. move dan for assets.

next fall out of camp the defense looks like this

staal/ stral- solid
mcd/ klein- solid
moore/ fa 3rd pair stay at home guy or one of:
mcilrath/allen

option 1, if neither of mcilrath nor allen look ready out of camp, we add a 3rd pair guy who can stay at home and let john moore push the puck.

or option 2 is to get back a rh dman for girardi. i roll the dice with option 1

i still think one of those 2 guys can play 3rd pair minutes and im still very excited to see what calle andersson can do in camp next fall as well. hes another rh shot offensive dman.

and one more thing, as far as dylan mcilrath goes, asuming he finishes the season healthy and gets his games in, he should be ready by now. hes played 2 seasons of ahl defense and its time to step in and make the nhl big boy.

he may not be a difference maker initially, but he does bring a bag of tools we dont have and with a simple game mindset, he should be a serviceable 3rd pair defensive guy who can protect john moore a bit and let him jump up in the play.

next fall needs to be dylan mcilrath time.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Sign Stralman.

Exactly. Signing Stralman makes a lot of sense. Gives insurance in case DG gets moved. Stralman is a great bottom 4 pairing guy, but he starts making mistakes when playing against elite lines regularly.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
sign anton. move dan for assets.

next fall out of camp the defense looks like this

staal/ stral- solid
mcd/ klein- solid
moore/ fa 3rd pair stay at home guy or one of:
mcilrath/allen

option 1, if neither of mcilrath nor allen look ready out of camp, we add a 3rd pair guy who can stay at home and let john moore push the puck.

or option 2 is to get back a rh dman for girardi. i roll the dice with option 1

i still think one of those 2 guys can play 3rd pair minutes and im still very excited to see what calle andersson can do in camp next fall as well. hes another rh shot offensive dman.

and one more thing, as far as dylan mcilrath goes, asuming he finishes the season healthy and gets his games in, he should be ready by now. hes played 2 seasons of ahl defense and its time to step in and make the nhl big boy.

he may not be a difference maker initially, but he does bring a bag of tools we dont have and with a simple game mindset, he should be a serviceable 3rd pair defensive guy who can protect john moore a bit and let him jump up in the play.

next fall needs to be dylan mcilrath time.

Skjei will be a mid-season call up. Kid is a young McDonagh!

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think you're asking an awful lot of Stralman to play top-pairing minutes next season (or this season if Girardi is dealt). He may have been -- according to some -- the most consistent of our blueliners this year, but now that the rest of the top-4 has regained their form, he's pretty clearly the 4th best defender out there.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Skjei will be a mid-season call up. Kid is a young McDonagh!

good call.

i didnt mention him for 2 reasons.

first cause hes a ld. where will he play ? if you move girardi you open up a spot for a rhd. staal, mcd and moore are cement.

second, hell need half a year in the minors.

hes a nice prospect no doubt. good size, very good skater, good defensively and smart but i still say its a reach that hell come out of school after 2 yrs of ncaa hockey and play right away.

mcd is the exception there.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I think you're asking an awful lot of Stralman to play top-pairing minutes next season (or this season if Girardi is dealt). He may have been -- according to some -- the most consistent of our blueliners this year, but now that the rest of the top-4 has regained their form, he's pretty clearly the 4th best defender out there.

i may be in the minority here but i think stralman has another gear. he can up his play to another level.

hes one of the few dmewn we have that has untapped offensive skill that is there but hasnt been shown yet. im a big fan and not just cause hes a swede. :laugh: hes a complete player who can slot nicely next to a healthy marc staal.

in fact im completely ok with a top 4 of

staal stral
mcd klein.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I really like our defense as is, I think they should re-sign G/Stralman and if McIlrath is ready next year, trade a RHD.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
i may be in the minority here but i think stralman has another gear. he can up his play to another level.

hes one of the few dmewn we have that has untapped offensive skill that is there but hasnt been shown yet. im a big fan and not just cause hes a swede. :laugh: hes a complete player who can slot nicely next to a healthy marc staal.

in fact im completely ok with a top 4 of

staal stral
mcd klein.

Honestly, I think if the coaching staff shared that opinion, he'd be getting some semblance of powerplay time. AV has been talking about a RH threat on the PP all season, and yet Stralman remains on the bench when we're on the man advantage.

I think the development he's had defensively has come at the expense of his offensive game. He might just be one of those players who can do one or the other, but just doesn't have it in him to be a complete defender.

Punxrocknyc19*

Honestly, I think if the coaching staff shared that opinion, he'd be getting some semblance of powerplay time. AV has been talking about a RH threat on the PP all season, and yet Stralman remains on the bench when we're on the man advantage.

I think the development he's had defensively has come at the expense of his offensive game. He might just be one of those players who can do one or the other, but just doesn't have it in him to be a complete defender.

he did score 6 goals 34 pts on a bad Bluejackets team. so he does have skill. i wonder where it went :help:

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I don''t think Stralman does anything that Allen won't be able to with a year of training. He isn't Girardi, and we have Klein locked up on the right for cheap.

Not saying we shouldn't re-sign him, but it wouldn't be a tragedy if we went with Girardi.

Stralman is a much better player than Klein

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sign Stralman.

So much this. It's almost as if people are afraid of potentially having multiple good players at the same spot. If the organization thinks that down the road, Allen or McIlrath can take that role, then somebody gets dealt for help elsewhere. That's how you build organizational depth and stay good in a cap world.

Sure, one of the kids is a cheaper option. But signing a guy that isn't a dire need isn't a waste of cap space as it's perceived to be. It's building depth which in turn builds flexibility. And flexibility is how teams survive the cap, not by being tight-fisted and always taking the cheaper option.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Stralman is a much better player than Klein

I can find very little evidence to substantiate this claim, to be honest. Stralman has been good for us, after bombing out at Toronto, Columbus, and then failing to get a roster spot on the Devils blueline. In his last 100+ games here he has 14 points. If you look at time on ice, PK responsibility, ect over the past half decade, Klein has him.

It's pretty clear that Stralman has evolved into a defensive defenseman, but he isn't as good at it as Klein. You play Klein with Marc Staal right now and he'll look pretty good as well.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I can find very little evidence to substantiate this claim, to be honest. Stralman has been good for us, after bombing out at Toronto, Columbus, and then failing to get a roster spot on the Devils blueline. In his last 100+ games here he has 14 points. If you look at time on ice, PK responsibility, ect over the past half decade, Klein has him.

It's pretty clear that Stralman has evolved into a defensive defenseman, but he isn't as good at it as Klein. You play Klein with Marc Staal right now and he'll look pretty good as well.

Klein has been abused one on one a lot the past couple games. I don't think stralman has been abused the entire season.

Frankly I don't care at all who was better years ago. It's irrelevant.

SupersonicMonkey*

Finally news about Stralman's contract. Get him signed.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
This article literally means nothing, there's also a chance Anton could loose his passion for the game and retire, winning the lotto would be a bonus...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00