News Article: Stralman: Rangers *might* start talking extension over Olympic break

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We did good to pick him up off the scrap heap. Hopefully we can lock him up for a few more years.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Stralman has earned a new contract by being a consistent player each and every night. He seldom if ever has a bad game. I always see people on the trade board laughing about Stralman but if they watched him as much as we do they'd realize how solid he's been.

I'm hoping for a 2 year deal worth 6.5-7 for Stralman which I think is fair (if he wants longer term I think the Rangers scoff)

shoves

Free orangejuice?
Nov 29, 2011
Its a no-brainer to me. He has shown us he's consistent, and i think his level of play is getting better every game. No signals that he's a bad investment. Sign him

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Stralman has earned a new contract by being a consistent player each and every night. He seldom if ever has a bad game. I always see people on the trade board laughing about Stralman but if they watched him as much as we do they'd realize how solid he's been.

I'm hoping for a 2 year deal worth 6.5-7 for Stralman which I think is fair (if he wants longer term I think the Rangers scoff)

I'd be willing to give him a 3 or 4 year deal honestly.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Here's the actual bit from Stop Coaching Pat:

Stralman, meanwhile, told the Daily News earlier this week that there may be a chance his agent and the Rangers begin talking extension during the Olympic break; however, he insisted that since the beginning of the season he would have considered any in-season contract talks a "bonus," and so he will not expect anything to happen until it does.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...-takes-effect-article-1.1606272#ixzz2swX6WKv4

Seems like the SNY Blog tried to make it seem like the Rangers were possibly initiating discussions, but in reality it was more just Stralman speculating that it could happen, but that he wasn't expecting it.

Frankly, despite how well he's played, I think the Rangers plan to sign Girardi and will let Stralman walk as a FA. They need an offensive defender and they can't afford to have 3 RHD locked up on extended contracts which will potentially block Allen and McIlrath from pushing for spots.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The Olympic break would be the ideal time for the Rangers to initiate extension talks with Stralman and his agent, but it does seem like wishful thinking on Stralman's behalf.

At the very least the Rangers should get a gauge on how much Stralman is looking for so they know whether it's reasonable or not. This is a situation similar to Callahan and Girardi in that they should not allow Stralman to walk away for nothing.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
The Olympic break would be the ideal time for the Rangers to initiate extension talks with Stralman and his agent, but it does seem like wishful thinking on Stralman's behalf.

At the very least the Rangers should get a gauge on how much Stralman is looking for so they know whether it's reasonable or not. This is a situation similar to Callahan and Girardi in that they should not allow Stralman to walk away for nothing.

I'd say not exactly in that regard. Callahan and Girardi have a ton of value on the market as they are seen as core players. Both of those guys should bring back a first rounder + decent prospect/pick. I think Stralman is seen as more of a complimentary piece. I'd love to see the Rangers resign him to a 3 year deal, but if that's not in the cards, then I still doubt you see him moved for a 2nd round pick when you consider how good the Staal-Stralman pair has been of late…

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

You sign Stralman. He's a contract that can be moved in a year if Allen or McIlrath can make the jump. He's under 30. Can skate. Can play a transition game. Can take the body. Can move the puck.

Hell, depending on the $$$ I wouldn't mind seeing Girardi-Stralman-Klein locked up on the right side for the next half-decade.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I'd say not exactly in that regard. Callahan and Girardi have a ton of value on the market as they are seen as core players. Both of those guys should bring back a first rounder + decent prospect/pick. I think Stralman is seen as more of a complimentary piece. I'd love to see the Rangers resign him to a 3 year deal, but if that's not in the cards, then I still doubt you see him moved for a 2nd round pick when you consider how good the Staal-Stralman pair has been of late…

Girardi has a lot more value than Callahan on the trade market as he is an RD. It will likely be a buyer's market for wingers, with Vanek, Cammalleri, and Moulson available in addition to Cally. Stralman as a top 4 righty D may fetch a decent return and I wouldn't mind parting with him if Girardi signs an extension and Sather can't agree on terms with Stralman or decides that we need to target an offensive defenseman instead.

The Rangers need to think beyond this year and even trading Stralman for a 2nd rounder would be better than letting him walk for nothing on July 1. The Rangers haven't had a lot of draft picks in recent years so stockpiling picks makes sense. Although knowing Sather, he will probably decide to keep Stralman in hopes of making a run.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013

I had pretty much personal attacks thrown my way for discussing Stralmans value in the trade board, no point in mentioning him anymore.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The Rangers front office better be planning on talking extension with Stralman's camp. I could care less what his value around the league is, he's been great for us. Sign him for 3-4 years at a reasonable cap hit (~$3M), and I'd be all for it.

Girardi, Stralman, Klein is great RD depth. Quality RD are at a premium around the league, and to lock up 3 quality players would be key for this team. Regarding McIlrath and Allen, make them earn it. There are going to be injuries eventually, and if they play well enough to push someone out, then you flip Stralman or Klein for another piece.

You lose nothing by extending Stralman. If Allen or McIlrath can't force their way into the lineup, why would we want to ice an inferior team just to give a prospect a shot? This is Detroit's approach, and has worked pretty damn well for them over the long term.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Alternate thread titles

"Rangers just realized Stralman was going to become a UFA too"

"Ranger players consider it a "bonus" when the Rangers talk to their agents about contract extensions before July"

"Stralman expects nothing to happen, until it does"

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I had pretty much personal attacks thrown my way for discussing Stralmans value in the trade board, no point in mentioning him anymore.

Stralman was not a good player for the Leafs. Being the largest fanbase, they're going to drown out pretty much anything positive to be said about the guy, regardless of how much he has grown as a player with the Rangers.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don''t think Stralman does anything that Allen won't be able to with a year of training. He isn't Girardi, and we have Klein locked up on the right for cheap.

Not saying we shouldn't re-sign him, but it wouldn't be a tragedy if we went with Girardi.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Who is this "offensive" top-4 RHD that we could just add without crippling our team? Because unless we could somehow get Byfuglien in a trade (and then I think Strålman is a better fit than Girardi to stay TBH), I have a hard time seeing someone we could even conceivably add. Because unless you have an unfair reputation and you play in Winnipeg, an offensive legit top-4 RH D-man isn't traded for anything but a kings ransom.

St. Louis aren't giving us Shattenkirk. Wisniewski (whom I love) isn't being traded. Franson isn't a top-4 D-man. Pittsburgh aren't letting Niskanen go - especially with what's happening to Letang.

And when you are in the Rangers' position, you don't force a kid into that role. Vatanen isn't ready - and would cost a ton. Barrie isn't ready. Rundblad has rocks for brains.

Basically - any player that fits the mold that would complement our top-4 better than Strålman will cost two arms and three legs. We will be a lot better off keeping Strålman - who by the way is our 2nd most skilled defenceman. So if you want more skill on the blueline it makes a lot more sense trading Girardi and getting a more skilled player in his place.

Sign Strålman to at least 4-5 years. The cap is going up - long-term deals will be steals, especially for an undervalued guy like Strålman.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
THis quote also from the article;

Dave Maloney said on Hockey Night Live, “the best defenseman since day 1, the most consistent believe it or not has been Anton Stralman. That probably cost Michael Del Zotto his career in NY. Del Zotto couldn’t supplant him to be a top four defense.

Marty Biron said, “Stralman loves the game and we used to call him Mr. Casual because he would make a mistake in the first period and say, ‘eh, that’s all right, I’ll get in in the third, don’t worry about me. He just skates around, no pressure

He's right. Stralman's been a lock since day 1. In the playoffs last year, Pierre McGuire called Stralman the "best kept secret in the league".

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Stralman was very inconsistent and irresponsible as a Maple Leaf. I imagine that's the fanbase that killed you.

He showed a bit more offense with CBJ, but the same story.

He's a 100% different player in NY. Most people remember him as the really streaky player he was back then.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Huge fan of Stralman. Sign him up. If money becomes a problem, you can always move the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad