News Article: Stralman: Rangers *might* start talking extension over Olympic break

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I can find very little evidence to substantiate this claim, to be honest. Stralman has been good for us, after bombing out at Toronto, Columbus, and then failing to get a roster spot on the Devils blueline. In his last 100+ games here he has 14 points. If you look at time on ice, PK responsibility, ect over the past half decade, Klein has him.

It's pretty clear that Stralman has evolved into a defensive defenseman, but he isn't as good at it as Klein. You play Klein with Marc Staal right now and he'll look pretty good as well.
Klein's been a puck possession nightmare. In the four seasons prior ending in 2012-13, Klein has played over 100 minutes with 12 different defensemen. 10 of them posted worse possession numbers with Klein than without.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Klein's been a puck possession nightmare. In the four seasons prior ending in 2012-13, Klein has played over 100 minutes with 12 different defensemen. 10 of them posted worse possession numbers with Klein than without.
Exactly. This is why Strålman is so valuable. He can actually move the puck, which both Klein and Girardi are horrible at. As how the game is played today, having D-men who can move the puck and skate is incredibly important, that's how you get puck control and create pressure.

Re-signing Strålman is a no-brainer. You know what you get from him and that's exactly what you want from a player, you don't want to roll the dice and see what kind of player shows up at game night. I'm actually kind of surprised he gets no chance at the PP, as he's the least afraid to launch a slapper of all our D-men.

On a side note, who is the man who shows up on the highlight reels when it comes to big hits? Strålman. Just sign him. He's a late bloomer and found his stability as a hockey player in NY, don't throw that away for nothing. Another fun fact: he's a 7th rounder.

Last edited:

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
I don''t think Stralman does anything that Allen won't be able to with a year of training. He isn't Girardi, and we have Klein locked up on the right for cheap.

Not saying we shouldn't re-sign him, but it wouldn't be a tragedy if we went with Girardi.

If Allen can turn into a second pairing guy averaging 20 min/night in a year I'd thrilled.

Signing Stralman should be done because he will most likely come cheap for what he brings. I can imagine him being willing to not take it to UFA just because he's been a journeyman his whole career. I can see him take a "discount" to stay a Ranger. If Allen is ready in one year, you trade one of them. Win win.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
All the link says is Stralman says there's a chance there may be some negotiations over the break.

Everyone whines about Slats and his reclamation projects, but when those succeed (Jagr, Stralman, Pouliot), who remembers that we got these players for nothing or next to nothing? Everyone, including Slats, knows that most reclamation projects will fail, but it's worth trying because at the end, you still wind up with a few good players you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Replacing G with Allen will make the team significantly worse.

This.

Somehow people think that Stralman can just magically evolve into a first pair RHD. The Rangers have no shot this year if they trade Girardi. Trading Callahan wouldn't kill our chances. He is a third line RW. You can just plug JT Miller into that role and he will do fine.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Everyone whines about Slats and his reclamation projects, but when those succeed (Jagr, Stralman, Pouliot), who remembers that we got these players for nothing or next to nothing? Everyone, including Slats, knows that most reclamation projects will fail, but it's worth trying because at the end, you still wind up with a few good players you wouldn't have had otherwise.
Pouliot certainly isn't a reclamation project.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009

Jagr ? I don't think so. The guy is a generational talent. Slats had nothing to do with Jagrs success except hiring him

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
He should be resigned, he isn't the best but he has found a perfect role here in NY and is simply put doing a good job don't throw that away just for replacing him with another FA (Strålman is one of few who has panned out) or a rookie before whomever forcing himself into the line up. He shouldn't be expensive to resign. Decent trade bait.

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He should be resigned, he isn't the best but he has found a perfect role here in NY and is simply put doing a good job don't throw that away just for replacing him with another FA (Strålman is one of few who has panned out) or a rookie before whomever forcing himself into the line up. He shouldn't be expensive to resign. Decent trade bait.

I think he should but he won't be. Girardi resigned, Klein, mcilrath for next yr

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I think he should but he won't be. Girardi resigned, Klein, mcilrath for next yr

Yeah can not say if I would surprised if let go this summer but then again I think is a stupid waste of an asset. McIlrath will get his looks but so far hes not looked ready if he proves himself, great find a taker for Klein or Strålman and get something in return.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
This.

Somehow people think that Stralman can just magically evolve into a first pair RHD. The Rangers have no shot this year if they trade Girardi. Trading Callahan wouldn't kill our chances. He is a third line RW. You can just plug JT Miller into that role and he will do fine.

Callahan is 2nd on the team in minutes among forwards. He's nowhere close to being a 3rd liner.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
If the money is there sign everyone (Girardi & Stralman) dont give Mcilrath or Allen a spot coming into camp make them fight and displace someone, if they bounce one of Klein or Stralman out of the lineup than that money spent will turn into some kind of asset in a trade. If we dont blow our cap on Stastny the money will be there to resign Stralman to a reasonable deal. Letting Stralman walk at this point would be asinine, hes got a handful of kids and would probably sacrifice some money for term security, give it to him he deserves it.

Pouliot certainly isn't a reclamation project.
Exactly, hes been a streaky 30-40 point winger his entire career, which is exactly what were getting, people thinking we pulled this guy out of the scrap heap and got more than anyone else did are ridiculous

Last edited:

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Exactly, hes been a streaky 30-40 point winger his entire career, which is exactly what were getting, people thinking we pulled this guy out of the scrap heap and got more than anyone else did are ridiculous

Eh? He has hit 30 twice in his career and has never been close to 40.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Reclamation project probably isn't the right term, as that implies that he was once an established player that fell into tough times. He's always been kind of an enigma.

I think the term "reclamation project" has evolved into something people use when they talk about a player that is brought in for cheap who hasn't fulfilled his perceived potential. It's not appropriate within the literal definition of reclamation, but I think the intention is understood.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah, reclamation project implies he was once at a certain level and we were going to attempt to get him back to that level. He's an entirely different player than he was previously. A pretty good defensive-minded defender who is decent with the puck on his stick. He used to be an offensive producer from the back end with limited defensive ability. Quite the change.

Colby

Mar 2, 2011
I can find very little evidence to substantiate this claim, to be honest. Stralman has been good for us, after bombing out at Toronto, Columbus, and then failing to get a roster spot on the Devils blueline. In his last 100+ games here he has 14 points. If you look at time on ice, PK responsibility, ect over the past half decade, Klein has him.

It's pretty clear that Stralman has evolved into a defensive defenseman, but he isn't as good at it as Klein. You play Klein with Marc Staal right now and he'll look pretty good as well.

Hockey is a territorial game. I think Stralman is better than Klein at moving the puck out of his own zone and moving the puck into the other team's zone. Even if Stralman's not the one racking up the points, by virtue of having the puck in the other team's zone 55% of the time as opposed to Klein's 45%, it gives their teammates a better chance of generating offense (and decreases the chances of the other team doing so).

And for the Staal comment, with the caveat that possession numbers aren't everything, the numbers point to Stralman being the one driving the possession for that pairing -- when they're on the ice together they have a 56.8 Corsi%, when they're apart from one another, Stralman is at 55.1% and Staal is at 45.8%.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's not a lot out there in free agency. The cap is going up. Some people say sign Stastny. Stastny might not reach free agency and he'll have offers from around the league if he does. Ditto with Vanek. Want either?--and you'll have to win a bidding war and Stastny though very good is not elite and Vanek though closer really isn't either. IMO there's similarities to him, Gaborik and Nash.

So yeah I think we could probably more than afford to bring back both Girardi and Stralman if we wanted and depending on the term I don't think that would be a bad way to go. At least we'll have an idea of what we're getting and we won't be overpaying for the Grabovski's and Moulson's.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
There's not a lot out there in free agency. The cap is going up. Some people say sign Stastny. Stastny might not reach free agency and he'll have offers from around the league if he does. Ditto with Vanek. Want either?--and you'll have to win a bidding war and Stastny though very good is not elite and Vanek though closer really isn't either. IMO there's similarities to him, Gaborik and Nash.

So yeah I think we could probably more than afford to bring back both Girardi and Stralman if we wanted and depending on the term I don't think that would be a bad way to go. At least we'll have an idea of what we're getting and we won't be overpaying for the Grabovski's and Moulson's.

Problem is Vanek is a much better playmaker than both of them put together. He is a very under appreciated player in the league. 40-40. Guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad