Confirmed Trade: [STL/CAR] Justin Faulk (14% retained), 2020 5th for Joel Edmundson, Dominik Bokk, 2021 7th

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
For the Canes, I think this came down to prefering Gardiner at 4x4 over Faulk at 7x6+. Plus they get Bokk.

As a trade, I think Carolina didn't do all that well. But, as an overall plan, I think they did. I also like it for the Blues.
Great post. I think that you almost have to consider the Gardiner signing a part of the "scoring" of this trade.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Looked good for St. Louis until they signed him for that long term. The last few years won't go well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I like it for the Blues, get instantly better and paid next to nothing.

I kind of like it for Carolina as well. It's good to trade away UFAs that have no future with the franchise. But all this acquiring futures for cap space and veterans makes the Calgary trade even more worse, because they are wasting away years they could be really competetive and next summer they might be in the same situation with Hamilton.

I'm confused as this makes no sense at all to me.

First, this has nothing to do with the Calgary trade. Had the Calgary trade never happened, the Canes weren't going to sign Faulk to that deal and would have likely moved him all the same. Second, the Canes missed the playoffs for 9 straight years and the first year after the Calgary trade, they made the playoffs and went all the way to the ECF. How is that "wasting away years they could really be competitive?" Thirdly, the Canes aren't just "acquiring futures"for cap space and veterans. They also acquired guys they think can and will help their team now in Gardiner, Haula, Dzingel, Edmundson, Forsling and Claesson this off-season along with Niederreiter, Hamilton and Martinook last season.

It seems that many on HF fail to look at the real purpose of a trade, which is to make the team better, not to win the "on paper value championship". For all the crap Waddell took with the Calgary and Skinner trades, in the end, both deals made the Canes better and changed the culture of the team. In just 1.5 short years, the Canes have gone from a team that missed the playoffs 9 straight seasons with no light at the end of the tunnel to a team that:

1) Made the playoffs and ECF
2) Is one of the youngest teams in the NHL
3) Has a very strong NHL line-up. (goaltending is still a question mark)
4) Has one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL
5) Already has two 1sts, two 2nds and 2 thirds in this next draft, which is reportedly very deep.

If next summer, Hamilton prices himself out of the market, then so be it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Looked good for St. Louis until they signed him for that long term. The last few years won't go well.

For all we know, the last few years might be in Seattle. Even so, if years 6 and 7 are an issue, teams will find away to get out of that.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He's a solid second pairing guy on a good team, but yeah, if he's one of your top 2 defensemen, you're not a contender.

Fortunately for the Blues, their blueline is loaded.

He was 2nd in TOI/GP among Canes defenders last year, so by all accounts he WAS one of our top 2 defensemen last year. Forget about pairings which change game to game and within game, but Brindy used him 2nd most only to Slavin last year on a team that went to the ECF.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
STL committed highway robbery here. They got a legit top NHL Dman. For some whatifs and/or maybes
Look, Faulk is solid pro but he is far from a "legit top NHL Dman".
The Blues got a good middle pairing D signed to a questionable extension. Canes weren't giving Faulk that kind of contract, so they get a decent bottom pairing D and a B level prospect.
Blues win initially on the player and lose long term on the contract.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Look, Faulk is solid pro but he is far from a "legit top NHL Dman".
The Blues got a good middle pairing D signed to a questionable extension. Canes weren't giving Faulk that kind of contract, so they get a decent bottom pairing D and a B level prospect.
Blues win initially on the player and lose long term on the contract.

Faulk will not be in St. Louis after the expansion draft. They will still resign petro and for the next three years will have a very deep d corp to go with their very deep forward group.

Eddy was a platoon player last year.

So blues got the best years of of top 4 rhd while carolina got a 6/7 d man and s prospect three years away from contributing at the nhl level, if he makes it.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Faulk will not be in St. Louis after the expansion draft. They will still resign petro and for the next three years will have a very deep d corp to go with their very deep forward group.

So blues got the best years of of top 4 rhd while carolina got a 6/7 d man and s prospect three years away from contributing at the nhl level, if he makes it.
I can't read the future, but I have watched just about every game Faulk has played over the last few years. He will have moments that will leave you wondering if he got any sleep the previous night. He will probably be motivated his first season, then get a bit chubby and slower once he settles in.
I don't know too much about Bokk, but development isn't linear and the Blues thought enough about the kid to draft him in the first round. In SuperElit, in 36 games he has 15 goals and 27 assists. Not bad for a 19 year old. If he can continue developing, he becomes a top six winger. Not a bad return considering the overall picture of what the Canes have done with their D and the fact that they had zero interest in giving Faulk a long term deal at over $6m.

Reactions: Honeycutt

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Another way to look at it is the Canes were losing Faulk for nothing at season's end; didn't have a fit for him with Slavin, Hamilton, Gardiner and Pesce; and weren't going to re-sign him at that price, and they were able to save money and get a former recent 1st round pick for a guy they were going to lose for nothing. It's all about perspective.

Reactions: Honeycutt

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Does this trade make Haydn Fleury available in CAR?

We're not sure.

TVR likely won't be ready to start the season, so our bottom pairing will likely be Fleury-Edmundson. If Fleury can't be out Edmundson once TVR returns, then he probably doesn't hold much value.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
St louis with a friggen steal

Wow Blues got fooled. Faulk is really overrated.

Seems like a good deal for both teams. Gardiner + Bokk + Edmunson > Faulk + De Haan

latest

It's the circle of life!

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Looks that way, so some Leafs fans might be happy that he could possibly end up in Toronto.

Teams always look for right-handed defensemen and the Blues now have 3 good ones.

No one knows. But army did say last night the goal is to pay everyone well so you can have a good team. So I think it was a shot across the bow, saying hey we will give you a nice raise and you will be the highest paid blue, but we are not gonna overpay to keep you. Ball is really in petros court.

He can chase the money, which he deserves, or can go for legandary status in stl. If he were to finish his career in stl his number will never be worn again and he will have a statue on market. It's a tough choice.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
No one knows. But army did say last night the goal is to pay everyone well so you can have a good team. So I think it was a shot across the bow, saying hey we will give you a nice raise and you will be the highest paid blue, but we are not gonna overpay to keep you. Ball is really in petros court.

He can chase the money, which he deserves, or can go for legandary status in stl. If he were to finish his career in stl his number will never be worn again and he will have a statue on market. It's a tough choice.
Well it will be up to AP and like you said if he resigns they'll probably retire his number one day. Besides with the Blues winning the cup this past season, fans are still celebrating so Armstrong can concentrate on trying to keep the team together for awhile to contend which could end up being costly but worth a shot.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Another way to look at it is the Canes were losing Faulk for nothing at season's end; didn't have a fit for him with Slavin, Hamilton, Gardiner and Pesce; and weren't going to re-sign him at that price, and they were able to save money and get a former recent 1st round pick for a guy they were going to lose for nothing. It's all about perspective.
And yet another view is that they got to extend a pending UFA who wasn't theirs, or to do their UFA shopping early. If it's an overpayment, well, that happens in the UFA markets, but in the end they got their guy for whom other offers were on the table.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
To be honest, I don't think the Canes did that well here. Edmundson's in his UFA year. He's worth a 3rd or so considering. Bokk is probably worth his draft slot (25OA), maybe less. The Blues got an extension out of it and it meant little or nothing to Faulk's value; given how the trade market is shaping up for RD, that type of return may not have been out of line for a rental Faulk.

If Edmundson is worth a 3rd, you're getting a late first + 3rd for Faulk. But what they actually got was a bottom pairing D they felt they needed with TVR injured and a former 1st.

Yes, STL was able to negotiate with Faulk. But the guarantee they had was 1 year and Faulk apparently couldn't reject this deal as STL was not on his no-trade list.

Considering the only other thing given up was a 5th for a 7th, I'm OK with the return. Especially given what it appears Faulk's market value was; Carolina was not paying that with Hamilton coming up in another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->