Confirmed with Link: [STL/BUF]J.Halak, C.Stewart, W.Carrier, 1st & 3rd for R.Miller & S.Ott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Looking at the trades it seems we vastly overpaid

You realize the conditional 1st is for 2-2nd round picks right???? Mins 2nd around 50 and Buffalo's 3rd pick 60, since NJ forfeits their 1st, it makes every pick one spot higher than normal so #1 in the 3rd round is actually 60, not 61. And with the Blues recent success with 2nd round picks, I like our chances at getting a few solid players in the second round. I was in the overpaid boat too, until I found out about the conditions to the 1st, which makes the trade much more fair.

Miller
Ott
2-2nd rounders

For

Halak
Stewart(and 4.2 mil off the payroll)
Carrier a decent pick, but not that big of a loss
2-1st and hopefully they will both be pick 30:yo: but really at worst they will be between 25-30, whoop-di-do

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Not worrying about trade value at the moment, which includes appraising draft picks that we can't really know what they turn into yet....I think the Blues improved their team on the ice the most out of all the contenders.

I don't think the LAK move will bear fruit. Montreal with Vanek will make the post-season a little more exciting for them, but doesn't really put Montreal on the level with Western Conference contenders. Anaheim appears to have flubbed a move or something. The Penner deal seems odd, even simply for depth.

Minnesota is the move that should be the most interesting to Blues fans, since they project as our most probable first round opponent. I think their team is a bit better, but I don't think they're going to be able to challenge the Blues in a 7 game series.

The one team I really find fascinating is Tampa. They get rid of their captain, who seems to have been acting like a jackass...and bring in a quality player like Callahan (a pure rental) and get Stamkos back. We'll see if they can find some chemistry with their new lines, but I suspect this is going to be one of those moves where a malcontent moving improves the team a lot more than it should on paper. I also expect zero from the Rangers. Won't be the least surprised to find the Lightning in the ECF.

Which is a good thing so we can knock them out early and their 2nd through Buffalo will be around 48!

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think at some point a team has to stop worrying about overpayment and just go for it which is where we are now. IMO, I'd rather be the team that maybe slightly overpaid but also IMPROVED, rather than be the team who played it conservatively and didn't do anything. At least as a cup contender.

If Halak and Stewart were still on this team at this very moment I can almost guarantee this place would be having a meltdown.

We are, along with maybe Minnesota, the only legit contender in the West that can definitely say we improved ourselves. And for that I am happy. This deadline worked out well for the Blues.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think at some point a team has to stop worrying about overpayment and just go for it which is where we are now. IMO, I'd rather be the team that maybe slightly overpaid but also IMPROVED, rather than be the team who played it conservatively and didn't do anything. At least as a cup contender.

If Halak and Stewart were still on this team at this very moment I can almost guarantee this place would be having a meltdown.

We are, along with maybe Minnesota, the only legit contender in the West that can definitely say we improved ourselves. And for that I am happy. This deadline worked out well for the Blues.

So, you agree with me that Gaborik is not going to help The Kings go far in the playoffs?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
So, you agree with me that Gaborik is not going to help The Kings go far in the playoffs?

I definitely agree with you.

Gaborik used to be amazing, but since last season, he has 41 points in 69 games. During that time, Gaborik's teams have scored more goals than LA has, so, while LA is much better overall, I don't think you can expect him suddenly to revert to healthy Gaborik from three years ago. He's a second-liner and Columbus has played him that way. Sure, he might tap into the old magic from time to time, but excuse me if I don't think an injury-destroyed #5/6 forward is a big boost to any team.

It's an okay depth move that has a little bit more risk/reward attached to it than your average rental, but the Kings are still intimidating only for the regular reasons.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I just looked up Ott and Miller's all-time records against the best teams in the west

Miller

v.s. Anaheim (3-3) (2.56 GAA) (.923 Sv%) (1 shutout)
v.s. Chicago (2-2) (2.03 GAA) (.939 Sv%)
v.s. Colorado (0-3-3) (3.59 GAA) (.888 Sv%)
v.s. L.A. (5-1-1) (2.30 GAA) (.935 Sv%) (1 shutout)
v.s. San Jose (7-1) (2.17 GAA) (.932 Sv%) (2 shutouts)

Good to know he plays the Cali teams pretty damn tough.

Ott

v.s. Anaheim (50 GP) (7 G) (19 A) (26 P) (96 PIM) (46 H) (176 FW) (135 FL) (.566 FO%) (2 PPG) (4 PPA) (1 GWG) (.097 S%)

v.s. Chicago (25 GP) (10 G) (4 A) (14 P) (62 PIM) (50 H) (97 FW) (94 FL) (.508 FO%) (3 PPG) (1 SHG) (2 GWG) (.217 S%)

v.s. Colorado (29 GP) (2 G) (5 A) (7 P) (43 PIM) (37 H) (101 FW) (94 FL) (.518 FO%) (1 PPA) (.037 S%)

v.s. L.A. (49 GP) (4 G) (7 A) (11 P) (114 PIM) (85 H) (164 FW) (166 FL) (.497 FO%) (1 PPG) (1 PPA) (2 GWG) (.069 S%)

v.s. S.J. (47 GP) (8 G) (13 A) (21 P) (147 PIM) (71 H) (169 FW) (139 FL) (.549 FO%) (2 PPG) (3 PPA) (1 SHG) (.113 S%)

Ott looks like he does pretty decent against teams that matter this year as well.

Last edited:

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
I think people are calling the trade an overpayment simply by looking at the quantity of assets traded. Some of you think a refrigerator box full of dog poop is overpaying for a single gold coin because LOOK HOW MUCH MORE POOP THERE IS OMG OVERPAYMENTZ

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
I think people are calling the trade an overpayment simply by looking at the quantity of assets traded. Some of you think a refrigerator box full of dog poop is overpaying for a single gold coin because LOOK HOW MUCH MORE POOP THERE IS OMG OVERPAYMENTZ
lol not even close. People are relating what we paid to what they individually think we shouldve paid, also comparing it relative to the price of other trades that happened.

danglzzz

Mar 2, 2011

Well let's not forget about this refrigerator. How old is it?

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
lol not even close. People are relating what we paid to what they individually think we shouldve paid, also comparing it relative to the price of other trades that happened.

This.

There were something like 11 goalie transactions between the Blues trading fur Miller and the deadline. The most any other goalie returned was a 2nd runs pick. Miller was clearly the best goalie traded. Ott was also part of the deal. Ott was not the best forward traded around the deadline. Vanek returned a 2nd+, Moulson and Hemsky and Gaborik all for less.

With the Blues putting not one but two first round on the table and nobody but the Rangers spending their first (getting back a PPG, reigning Art Ross winner), it seems the Blues spent a lot.

When you then factor in the Blues traded their last 1st rounder, and still have a hole at second line center to address and a dwindling amount of resources to address it with.

Potentially the Blues lost two first round picks and last year's second round draft selection for a mid-to-late second, a high third round pick, and two playoff rentals.

Worst case scenario, we still don't come as bad as Long Island. But there is a LOT of risk here for the Blues, who payed more than any other team at the deadline. This deal could still go bad for the Blues if Blues wash out early and don't re-sign Ott.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Official Conditions of the Miller trade...

Only one considered "new" is ...

If St Louis trades Ryan Millers rights to another team prior to the draft .. Buffalo receives Blues 2014 1st..

2cxz1hd.jpg

Yoko Ono*

This.

There were something like 11 goalie transactions between the Blues trading fur Miller and the deadline. The most any other goalie returned was a 2nd runs pick. Miller was clearly the best goalie traded. Ott was also part of the deal. Ott was not the best forward traded around the deadline. Vanek returned a 2nd+, Moulson and Hemsky and Gaborik all for less.

With the Blues putting not one but two first round on the table and nobody but the Rangers spending their first (getting back a PPG, reigning Art Ross winner), it seems the Blues spent a lot.

When you then factor in the Blues traded their last 1st rounder, and still have a hole at second line center to address and a dwindling amount of resources to address it with.

Potentially the Blues lost two first round picks and last year's second round draft selection for a mid-to-late second, a high third round pick, and two playoff rentals.

Worst case scenario, we still don't come as bad as Long Island. But there is a LOT of risk here for the Blues, who payed more than any other team at the deadline. This deal could still go bad for the Blues if Blues wash out early and don't re-sign Ott.

In case you missed it the Blues are done with the draft, the build from within is over, back to the Ron Caron days I guess.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Hate to break it to you Robb, but...wrong thread...

I planned to not change to another thread between periods. But, I cheated, thinking if I pay close attention, I'll not forget. But, sad as it is, I guess I'm just not capable of remembering what thread I'm on after the game comes back on on my giant-screen table-top computer. and takes away my attention from what I was doing. I do my typing on my laptop.

At least it was only 1 post, this time:shakehead.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I planned to not change to another thread between periods. But, I cheated, thinking if I pay close attention, I'll not forget. But, sad as it is, I guess I'm just not capable of remembering what thread I'm on after the game comes back on on my giant-screen table-top computer. and takes away my attention from what I was doing. I do my typing on my laptop.

Lol, you're great Robb.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

Doesn't bother me. I think we should all start doing it and confuse the hell out of visitors.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
This.

I think you have to consider what we were trading as well. Look at the market -- or lack thereof -- of Stewart and Halak. Stewart didn't move at all, while Halak returned a 3rd liner and a backup. Army clearly read the tea leaves on what the interest was for these guys and said screw it, let's just get this done in one swoop.

This is my point. It seems like they did, but they really didn't. Fact is, we got rid of two assets we didn't want. Sometimes there's value in eliminating said assets quickly and if you don't think they'll potentially bite you in the future. Certain in the East and with Buffalo in particular it's like they entered a black hole. Washington ends up getting marginally better in goal (I guess) but I don't think the needle moves much for them there overall. Plus, these 1st rounders are late and we know what a crapshoot they can be anyway.

We're putting a winner together here, not rebuilding. Picks are somewhat expendable these days and I doubt Miller leaves. That's just my gut.

Nah. Free agency is around the corner and there's probably 3/4 guys we're no resigning. We can get our guy no problem.

They certainly won't go early and if they do, I'm not sure anyone promised anyone a Cup run this year. We're looking at a 5-year window to win with this core and I think Miller will be there to see it.

When you rebuild as a team this is the phase you hope for. We have to go all in and be aggressive, because that's what winners do. Play timid in life and you'll get what you ask for.

illninofan*

Two firsts for two seconds and a third basically.

I can live with that if it means having one (and hopefully soon, two with Allen waiting in the wings) elite goaltender.

illninofan*

I'm thinking we should seriously hop around with you from now on. :laugh:

From now on, everyone else check the other threads during games to see if Robb is posting in them, and then post right along with Robb. It'll be hilarious and it'll confuse the heck out of the mods. :lol:

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
All those who don't like the fact that we gave up first round picks, our first rounders are all going to be late. IMO our first rounders are not really worth all that much more than the Wild's 2nd and we know Buff's third will be early.

Obviously, everyone loves Miller, but Ott has seemed like an absolute steal. Even if he doesn't stay I foresee him making a huge impact in the playoffs. I'll take him over Stewart 10/10 times.

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
All those who don't like the fact that we gave up first round picks, our first rounders are all going to be late. IMO our first rounders are not really worth all that much more than the Wild's 2nd and we know Buff's third will be early.

Obviously, everyone loves Miller, but Ott has seemed like an absolute steal. Even if he doesn't stay I foresee him making a huge impact in the playoffs. I'll take him over Stewart 10/10 times.

What do you think we could resign ott for? It doesn't look like we are getting statsny out of Colorado, at least It doesn't sound like it. We need a center....but it would be nice to resing ott at a reasonable value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad