Confirmed with Link: [STL/BUF]J.Halak, C.Stewart, W.Carrier, 1st & 3rd for R.Miller & S.Ott

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Naw, I think he is a guy who does well when he has a change of scenery, it happened here too. He'll also be better in the east. On a per minute basis, Stewart was still pretty productive in STL, so I think more ice time will serve him well. Its a shame hes going to be out for the year.

I don't know, his first game with Buffalo he was floating just as bad as he did here. Several Sabre fans were complaining about it, after his first game, I guess he picked it up during his second game with them, but was then injured after a knee on knee.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Another thing is what do the Blues have to gain by signing Miller before the draft? If you have something worked out I am assuming they will just wait till after to save themselves a pick. Am I missing something?

If STL advance to conference finals the pick swap occurs....irrelevent of when Miller is resigned.

If they don't make the WCF, but sign him before their 1st round pick, they will basically trade 2014 1st for Min 2nd and Buf 3rd in 2014. If they don't make the WCF or sign him prior to their 1st round pick, they give up a 2nd in 2016. There are some other conditions but they aren't as important.

The conditional pick in the trade:

A. If STL:

--makes conference finals
--resigns miller before the draft
--trades his negotiating right before the draft

Then a secondary swap happens---STL 1st 2014+ STL 3rd 2016 for BUF 3rd 2014 + MIN 2nd 2014 (acquired from Pominville trade)

B. IF A fails and

--STL resign Miller after their 1st round pick selection is executed in 2014
--STL trade is rights after their 1st round pick selection is executed in 2014

Then STL 2nd in 2016 for STL 3rd in 2016. BUF gets STL 2nd in 2016

C. If B fails then BUF keeps STL 3rd round pick in 2016.

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
If STL advance to conference finals the pick swap occurs....irrelevent of when Miller is resigned.

The conditional pick in the trade:

A. If STL:

--makes conference finals
--resigns miller before the draft
--trades his negotiating right before the draft

Then a secondary swap happens---STL 1st 2014+ STL 3rd 2016 for BUF 3rd 2014 + MIN 2nd 2014 (acquired from Pominville trade)

B. IF A fails and

--STL resign Miller after their 1st round pick selection is executed in 2014
--STL trade is rights after their 1st round pick selection is executed in 2014

Then STL 2nd in 2016 for STL 3rd in 2016. BUF gets STL 2nd in 2016

C. If B fails then BUF keeps STL 3rd round pick in 2016.

This has got to be the most intricate stipulations in a trade. Can anyone find one that has even MORE conditions? i would be interested to see what the all time craziest was.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
There are more conditions like percentage of games played by Miller. Forget the details, but this will matter.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
This will be my last post in this thread.

We gave up a lot in this deal. I think adding Ott in the deal was pointless when we already have Lappy, Reaves, Sobtka, Morrow, Backes, Oshie to some extent that have "grit". Ott takes faceoffs but is more of a wing than center. Do you put Ott ahead of Steen, Oshie, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Roy/Berlund whoever happens to play wing out of the 2. Even Morrow should be in the top 9 over him. Jaskin as well.

Miller while I fully agree he is an upgrade doesn't fix our team not scoring enough against the Kings last season.

With as much as we paid I think Vanek would have been a bigger impact to our team. The difference between Vanek and almost any of our Wingers is at least the same as it is between Halak and Miller. Vanek has game breaker ability.

We still have a huge hole at center on our team. If we don't sign Statsny we have nothing to trade to get that center either.

We basically put all our eggs in one basket. We are hoping our players that don't score well against high end goalies starts to do it in the playoffs this season.

Steen is the only player I have confidence in scoring in the playoffs. I also worry the most about Steen staying healthy.

While I agree Miller upgrades our goaltending I don't think our team will be good enough to make the Stanley cup finals.

Elliott last season played well enough to win our forwards did not. I see a repeat of that this season as well.

After how it all played out, this seems borderline prophetic :laugh:

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
In the two games they faced them with Halak in net this season they did win.

And we won the first 2 games of the series with Miller in net. If we would have kept Halak and lost the same way we would be all complaining about how Army should have made a move for Miller.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
IMO, with big scoring problems on crucial games, Armie should have traded for Vanek who was 10 times cheaper to get than Miller nad Ott.
Miller trade made no sense. Both Blues GK were around .920.
We saw the results. Miller is not a goalie on a higher level than Halak and Elliott.
Ott? Worst player on the roster.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
IMO, with big scoring problems on crucial games, Armie should have traded for Vanek who was 10 times cheaper to get than Miller nad Ott.
We saw the results. Miller is not a goalie on a higher level than Halak and Elliott.

Ott being the worst player on the roster is a bit harsh. Right now, that distinction goes to Reaves IMO.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

At the time we made the Miller deal, the purported price on Vanek was stupid high. He only went for peanuts because Snow got greedy and kept pushing for more. Everybody else moved on and by the time the deadline came around all he was able to get was what Montreal offered. Ott wasn't the worst player. Reaves won that distinction by a wide margin. He was useless in the playoffs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
In the two games they faced them with Halak in net this season they did win.
The Blues drafted John Valo in the 10th round of the 1989 NHL Entry Draft.

We can continue with irrelevant facts if you want.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
At the time we made the Miller deal, the purported price on Vanek was stupid high. He only went for peanuts because Snow got greedy and kept pushing for more. Everybody else moved on and by the time the deadline came around all he was able to get was what Montreal offered. Ott wasn't the worst player. Reaves won that distinction by a wide margin. He was useless in the playoffs.

Don't know. I'm a Habs fan but if there is any club in NHL that I want them to win SC after us, that's the Blues.
Yesterdays debacle left me speechless.
I still think that this trade was a big failure. One of the biggest in last few years in NHL. I though that the moment the trade was done. The price was big, the risk was big, and we saw the overall result.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Don't know. I'm a Habs fan but if there is any club in NHL that I want them to win SC after us, that's the Blues.
Yesterdays debacle left me speechless.
I still think that this trade was a big failure. One of the biggest in last few years in NHL. I though that the moment the trade was done. The price was big, the risk was big, and we saw the overall result.

I said from the beginning that the Miller deal was a mistake. I was just pointing out that the purported price on Vanek was even higher than what we paid for Miller. We should have been going after Vanek, but for some reason Armstrong decided a marginal upgrade in goal was worth the stupid amount of assets we gave up. All we can hope is that this playoffs series finally opened Armstrong's eyes to what is really wrong with this team, and to fix it.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Yep.
To make things worse, Jaro was traded in the middle of hot streak that continued in Washington. Miller flopped big time. :(

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
This was for discussing the trade back when it happened.

Duplicate discussions regarding current thoughts on the players involved are being held in multiple other locations.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad