Speculation: Still Still Much Ado About Kovy - Still still still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Bleedred I cannot take you serious as a Devils fans. You are bandwagoning with the Sharks and then think you can just be a Devils fan at the same time?

A true fan only supports his favorite team, everything else is competition. Come back when you want to stick with this franchise through the rebuild instead of bandwagoning on to another team.

Bleed is probably one of the most passionate fans here. He's probably had the Sharks as his second team longer than you've been alive knowing him.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Bleedred I cannot take you serious as a Devils fans. You are bandwagoning with the Sharks and then think you can just be a Devils fan at the same time?

A true fan only supports his favorite team, everything else is competition. Come back when you want to stick with this franchise through the rebuild instead of bandwagoning on to another team.

He doesn't need me to defend him but the Sharks are his 1B team (and clearly 1B) only because he's had a close friend working in the organization for the last several years. Nothing more or less than that.

He still has more loyalty to the Devils than the subject of this thread :sarcasm:

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I don't see what's wrong with having a secondary team that you root for?

I've lived in Chicago for almost ten years now, I have Blackhawks season tickets and actively root for them to do well.

My loyalty to the Devils is unquestionable, i'd never pull for the Blackhawks to beat them and I rarely if ever post in the Blackhawks forum, but there's nothing wrong with having another team (hometown etc) that you support secondarily.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
He doesn't need me to defend him but the Sharks are his 1B team (and clearly 1B) only because he's had a close friend working in the organization for the last several years. Nothing more or less than that.

He still has more loyalty to the Devils than the subject of this thread :sarcasm:

xgz9nkR.gif

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
I root for the Sharks because I like Joe Pavelski, and the Yotes because my uncle lives in Phoenix and is a fan of them. I guess my devotion to the Devils is bogus

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This has been a dead horse for weeks already.

More like years :P

And just think we're gonna have the expansion draft, pick Patrick/Hischler plus the rest of our draft and re-sign some of our own FA's before there's ever a resolution. If there even is one.

I'm not even sure how reliable the rumors of teams' supposed interest are since probably Grossman's leaking teams' 'interest' to try to drum up actual interest even if there is none.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
More like years :P

And just think we're gonna have the expansion draft, pick Patrick/Hischler plus the rest of our draft and re-sign some of our own FA's before there's ever a resolution. If there even is one.

I'm not even sure how reliable the rumors of teams' supposed interest are since probably Grossman's leaking teams' 'interest' to try to drum up actual interest even if there is none.

I'm sure a lot of teams want to pay him 2.5/3 million...I have a feeling that is what "interest" means.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm sure a lot of teams want to pay him 2.5/3 million...I have a feeling that is what "interest" means.

Nah I think they'd pay him 5 million or so - for one year. But I do agree interest is a fairly loose term that people tend to assume means OMGZ multiple teams want to give us high picks for him!

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
You know what we should discuss?

Hall-Patrick-Kovalchuk

Three first overall picks on one line with all 3 being under the age of 35. Never in the history of the NHL has that ever happened among players from different generations and you could see it happen on the team that we support.

This team has not seen a KO punch line in a long time. The problem was that Zajac would be centering our great wingers which would just hamper the line from ever achieving true greatness. Now, you have a guy in the center position that is a game breaker. You have a natural passer in Taylor Hall as well and then you have Kovalchuk to finish the deal and seal it. This is the type of line that brings your team into the playoffs, you have to give Kovalchuk whatever he wants.

Shero needs to be smart with this extra cap space. Give Kovalchuk what he wants, as much money as it takes because you can field the best 1st line in the league with three first overall players.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Hall-Patrick-Kovalchuk

Three first overall picks on one line with all 3 being under the age of 35. Never in the history of the NHL has that ever happened among players from different generations and you could see it happen on the team that we support.

This team has not seen a KO punch line in a long time. The problem was that Zajac would be centering our great wingers which would just hamper the line from ever achieving true greatness. Now, you have a guy in the center position that is a game breaker. You have a natural passer in Taylor Hall as well and then you have Kovalchuk to finish the deal and seal it. This is the type of line that brings your team into the playoffs, you have to give Kovalchuk whatever he wants.

Shero needs to be smart with this extra cap space. Give Kovalchuk what he wants, as much money as it takes because you can field the best 1st line in the league with three first overall players.

So if he wants $7.5-$8 million a year, Shero should do it?

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
...didn't Hall play with RNH and Yak for awhile?

thats 3 first overall picks right there.

I said from different generations.

Beyond that, Yakupov and RNH are bums compared to Kovalchuk and Patrick.

Well I don't know about Patrick, but I think everyone would be pretty disappointed if he turned out to be RNH level. I think his projection is much higher than 40-50 point forward.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia

Hall-Patrick-Kovalchuk

Mood

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I am in know way intending to derail this topic but is there a way to direct message on this forum?

And to the topic at hand, hypothetically if Kovy was open to playing for us would you be against it?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I am in know way intending to derail this topic but is there a way to direct message on this forum?

And to the topic at hand, hypothetically if Kovy was open to playing for us would you be against it?

Depends on his contract demands. If he's willing to sign a reasonable 1-2 year deal, I'm fine with it. If he wants anything longer than that I'd probably pass.

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York

Hall-Patrick-Kovalchuk

im down

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I would love Kovalchuk back on this team, I would also love to trade him for a good return. I will be disappointed if all we get in return is a 2nd round pick.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Click on the profile name and a bunch of options will drop down. View public profile, etc, send private message. Click send profile message.

And I would be open to him playing for us, but only because of how pathetic our offense has been for years now. I'd hope he could provide 50-60 points and that's the only reason I'd take him back.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Depends on his contract demands. If he's willing to sign a reasonable 1-2 year deal, I'm fine with it. If he wants anything longer than that I'd probably pass.

What is the reasoning for 1-2 years but not 3 years?

1st OA, Palmieri, Hall, Schneider are all signed for 3 or more years.
There are only 3 key players that will be entering FA in this span.

Zacha should probably be receiving a bridge deal assuming he will have a steady progression.
Severson will get a small-average raise this season.
Henrique will be going UFA and likely to be grossly overpaid.

Meanwhile, the big two Dmen (Ekman-Larsson, Karlsson) will potentially be available as UFA. Its fair to assume they will want to sign with a team that is competitive so you can argue that signing Kovalchuk will give us a better chance to sign them than having his cap space available.

I personally think 3 years would be ideal since it will clear when Hall and 1st OA enter free agency and could possibly save us from committing a ton of money on Henrique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad