Speculation: Still Still Much Ado About Kovy - Still still still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Trading him at the deadline has nothing to do with ownership

I personally think that there is less than 0% chance that Kovy plays here. However, I don't believe for one second that IF he wanted to play here and IF it took $7 million, they wouldnt hesitate. They will spend when needed. Hell, Ray even said that he told them that he didn't need their money the past 1-2 years.

Ok so your saying they will pay him 7 million only to trade him at the deadline? Just want to make sure but you still didn't answer it. Ownership has everything to do with trading him. They still have to approve a trade.

Btw the situation you mention about ray having a blank check to spend when needed is total opposite of kovy. That blank check is for long term use and future not for a guy that will play 4 months here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I also don't think money is an issue on a one year deal...on a 2-3 year deal a little different. Then you have to consider future cap space at least.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Ownership has NOTHING to do with trading a player at the deadline. In fact, if they were really as cheap as you are suggesting, they would openly welcome it since it means that they wouldn't have to pay the full contract.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ownership has nothing to do with dealing a 34-year old merc. You obviously have to run trading actual important players like Hall/Cory by them, but Blitzer and Harris probably aren't getting updates on what Shero does with Vernon Fiddler at the deadline.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd honestly be surprised if anyone was willing to shell out a big contract for him.

And by big I mean more than 5 and more than two years...I would be very surprised to see it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
These guys aren't idiots with money. They aren't giving out a 7 million dollar contract for a guy who will be dealt And judging by some people on here will only command a 2nd and a meh prospect. That will go down as the most costly $$$ wise 2nd round pick in NHL history.

I'll pull a zajac here and say there is a 0% chance of them giving kovy a 1 year 7 million contract.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Ownership has nothing to do with dealing a 34-year old merc. You obviously have to run trading actual important players like Hall/Cory by them, but Blitzer and Harris probably aren't getting updates on what Shero does with Vernon Fiddler at the deadline.

Fiddler wasn't making 7 million a year.

i agree trading kovy probably wouldn't have to be run by ownership if he's making less then 7 million. Just like I'm sure ownership has to be given notice of him getting that insane contract.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If you sign Kovalchuk for 3 years, and he's not what you wanted after year 1, or year 2, you could always move him to another team. The brand name alone will draw interest. Just look at the contract Eric Staal got this summer, and he was horrendous the previous season.

Video game mentality.

That is not how sports executives run franchises. Beyond irresponsible.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I see this thread is still discussing the 'Kovalchuk plays here for 6 months and is traded' scenario. I'll be enjoying the 'Jackalope sightings [confirmed!]' thread over on the cryptozoological forums instead, there's a little more realism over there.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I see this thread is still discussing the 'Kovalchuk plays here for 6 months and is traded' scenario. I'll be enjoying the 'Jackalope sightings [confirmed!]' thread over on the cryptozoological forums instead, there's a little more realism over there.

Why is out of the question? If anything it would make the most sense for kovy if he can't find a partner with the devils. In fact it probably would benefit him the most signing a one year deal and playing here.

The devils will put him in all different situations giving him a greater chance to produce points and showing off his true value. Then ship him off to a contender he plays in playoffs and becomes a ufa and teams will Be more comfortable shelling out to his salary demands even more so if he contributes in the playoffs

As it stands now he has to find a team to agreee to his demands then he still has to get the devils to sign off on it.

From a strictly business standpoint it makes sense for both the devils and kovy to agree to a one year deal and play here. Of course he runs the risk of getting hurt or him not being good anymore but those are situations out of our control on a msg board.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Playing in NJ can only hurt his trade value. Right now the name Kovalchuk alone is garnering interest. If he plays here, there are three scenarios:

1.) He plays better than expected, but teams trading for him only acquire him as a rental, and will not give up as much for 3 months of a guy as the would for a year of a guy. In this scenario more teams are interested but value doesn't really change.

2.) He plays as expected, but we get less than was offered during the summer because he's a rental.

3.) He plays worse than expected, and no one has any interest.

In all three scenarios, teams looking to acquire him not as a rental but looking to extend him will not be happy because the extension would be on a +35 contract. If they want a contract with escapability he will need to be signed this summer. No one will give up premium assets for a cap anchor, even if he's producing slightly more than you expect.

This is also ignoring the fact that Kovalchuk is coming back to win a Cup, and we don't offer him a chance to do that. I'm not sure why he would agree to play here in the first place.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Playing in NJ can only hurt his trade value. Right now the name Kovalchuk alone is garnering interest. If he plays here, there are three scenarios:

1.) He plays better than expected, but teams trading for him only acquire him as a rental, and will not give up as much for 3 months of a guy as the would for a year of a guy. In this scenario more teams are interested but value doesn't really change.

2.) He plays as expected, but we get less than was offered during the summer because he's a rental.

In all three scenarios, teams looking to acquire him not as a rental but looking to extend him will not be happy because the extension would be on a +35 contract. If they want a contract with escapability he will need to be signed this summer. No one will give up premium assets for a cap anchor, even if he's producing slightly more than you expect.

This is also ignoring the fact that Kovalchuk is coming back to win a Cup, and we don't offer him a chance to do that. I'm not sure why he would agree to play here in the first place.

Noway

1. Teams constantly give up items at the deadline solely for the purpose of the player being a rental. Teams going to the playoffs are even more desperate then they would be in July. And those contending teams can afford him since his salary is all but nothing at the deadline.

2. No playoff bound team is going to care if the player Is a rental. They are in a win now mode.

3. This is the only way his trade value is diminished but honestly I'm fine taking the risk. 3 weeks ago no one thought we would ever get anything for him we were fine with the timelines in place the picks we had etc. so I say we swing for the fences try to get the most bang for him and if that means him playing here and working his value up then so be it.

i mean I see people posting on here we should deal him now for a 2nd rounder that's good enough. So we hold onto him he plays up his value into a first and maybe more? At worst he sucks and we get a 4th rounder for him. Worth the risk I say

He's still going to play for a contender even if he starts the year out here.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Why is out of the question? If anything it would make the most sense for kovy if he can't find a partner with the devils. In fact it probably would benefit him the most signing a one year deal and playing here.

The devils will put him in all different situations giving him a greater chance to produce points and showing off his true value. Then ship him off to a contender he plays in playoffs and becomes a ufa and teams will Be more comfortable shelling out to his salary demands even more so if he contributes in the playoffs.

The Devils don't have a center that is going to help him in any way. Zajac scores goals at a 4th line rate and has for the last 4 seasons. Henrique can score goals but is weak defensively and is not a good passer. Hischier or Patrick will be good one day but that day is probably not in October 2017.

However, you must be speaking here about the idea that he could play with Taylor Hall. Implicit in this is the idea that Kovalchuk is a right wing, because that's where the Devils played him for most of his time here. That's not where he's played in Russia or at any other time in the league. He's not a right wing. He's a left wing. I'm convinced this is part of what tanked his goal-scoring numbers at even strength, and I doubt very much he's looking to switch positions again.

As it stands now he has to find a team to agreee to his demands then he still has to get the devils to sign off on it.

From a strictly business standpoint it makes sense for both the devils and kovy to agree to a one year deal and play here. Of course he runs the risk of getting hurt or him not being good anymore but those are situations out of our control on a msg board.

From a business standpoint, it is a terrible move to sign a player who costs a lot of money for a team that doesn't intend on pushing for the playoffs. You can very easily determine how much a draft pick should cost or how much value a prospect has in estimated dollars, and the return for Kovalchuk is not going to be close to the $5M you propose to pay him.

No, I think it's pretty likely that Kovalchuk's value would be higher at the deadline than it would be now. First of all, now, the way things are working is that Grossman will bring teams to NJ and then they'll work out a deal, whereas under the Bigfoot scenario Kovalchuk has no NTC and the Devils can create an actual market for him in February/March. Second, financial restrictions may keep Kovalchuk from his dream destination now, but in March it's easier to work out deals for expensive players. It's just that it's not worth the money or the hassle to carry him all year, plus you do risk ending up with nothing, in addition to the problem of 'What if the Devils are actually in the playoff race, do you even trade him.' This in addition to the fact that Kovalchuk is very unlikely to accept this sort of scenario.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
However, you must be speaking here about the idea that he could play with Taylor Hall. Implicit in this is the idea that Kovalchuk is a right wing, because that's where the Devils played him for most of his time here. That's not where he's played in Russia or at any other time in the league. He's not a right wing. He's a left wing. I'm convinced this is part of what tanked his goal-scoring numbers at even strength, and I doubt very much he's looking to switch positions again.

not sure i've ever said this in response to one of your posts before, but i absolutely agree with you 100% here...there were many arguments here about it back in the day, but any way you slice it he served us better on the LW than RW.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I wasn't saying anything about swapping positions. Just that the devils will have him put the most I believe then any other team. Not necessarily the most mins but they would obviously want to put him in a position to maximize his trade value

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I wasn't saying anything about swapping positions. Just that the devils will have him put the most I believe then any other team. Not necessarily the most mins but they would obviously want to put him in a position to maximize his trade value

They don't have this. The best forwards they can put him with if he's on LW are Henrique and Palmieri. This is a garbage line. It would get buried at ES. Maybe they'd shoot their way out.

Nor should Kovalchuk care one bit about his trade value. That's only under this convoluted scenario you have convinced yourself is possible.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i would be flabbergasted if kovy signed in the KHL. i don't think that's very likely

I think him signing a one-year deal there is far more likely than a one-year deal here. Although the closer this gets to June 1 without him signing there or having some agreement with a team here, the more it's obvious he does want back in the NHL and then it becomes a will he come back on our terms deal.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

So, by bringing him in, not only do we assume all of the risk this situation has to offer, but we're also now curtailing our game strategy to "maximize his trade value"?

This has gone from nonsensical to simply bizarre.

Do you realize how ridiculous and convoluted this is?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
So, by bringing him in, not only do we assume all of the risk this situation has to offer, but we're also now curtailing our game strategy to "maximize his trade value"?

This has gone from nonsensical to simply bizarre.

Do you realize how ridiculous and convoluted this is?

Huh? What risk? It's found money. Like I said if he plays and flames out for us big deal we are out a 2nd round pick.

I didn't say anything about changing our strategy. All I said was they will put him in a position to maximize his value you know like first line pp time or on the point on the pp overtime time. Which btw if he does then guess what that means he will be putting up points scoring goals helping us win games.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Won't this board be great in 2 weeks and 2 days? New unis, #1 draft pick and Kovalchuk STILL up in the air. Don't forget there could be a possible trade and/or FA signings.

Not bad for finishing last in the conference. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad