Speculation: Still Still Much Ado About Kovy - Still still still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Him scoring has no effect on penalty kill percentage in fact the penalty still has to be killed off after he scores :laugh:

Right, as if teams don't account for him actually scoring and the highest penalty kill percentage in NHL history had nothing to do with him playing half on the time on it :biglaugh:

Oh and a positive +/- on the penalty kill. No bro, Kovalchuk was lucky after 82 games of that maaaan!

I hope you guys are not actually serious right now and are just joking because I am totally clowning you with the facts.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Right, as if teams don't account for him actually scoring and the highest penalty kill percentage in NHL history had nothing to do with him playing half on the time on it :biglaugh:

Oh and a positive +/- on the penalty kill. No bro, Kovalchuk was lucky after 82 games of that maaaan!

I hope you guys are not actually serious right now and are just joking because I am totally clowning you with the facts.

You're not, and you're demonstrably wrong. Ilya Kovalchuk played 87 minutes out of the 420 4 vs 5 minutes the Devils played that season. He was great on the PK. He was not the only reason why it performed so well.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Sharks fan here, haven't read much about Kovy's relationship with Deboer while in NJ but would think it was good since there are rumors of him going to SJ. How did Deboer use him in NJ? Did he thrive under Deboers system? Thank you

As mentioned, Kovalchuk was surprisingly useful in a PK role that season.

Kovalchuk (and this was the case prior to DeBoer) would be used for nearly the entirety of a two minute PP (which I wasn't a big fan of). Since we didn't have the most mobile defense pre-Zidlicky in 2011-12, that was a dangerous combination with Kovalchuk who is prone to making risky plays/reads. So while Kovalchuk helped us lead the league with 15 shorthanded goals, he was partially responsible for us 'leading' the league with 13 shorthanded goals allowed. Hypothetically, maybe not as big a worry with Burns/Vlasic as the point men.

Kovalchuk's best season under DeBoer was played at RW, but he prefers playing LW.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I wish Kovalchuk was actually as good as Balance thinks he is/was

We'd definitely get a haul in return for trading him if thats the case!

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Not sure what shorthanded goals have to do with actually killing the penalty.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Kovalchuk was good at killing penalties because of his active stick and very quick turn around. But he wasn't the sole reason our PK was good that year. Henrique and Parise performed very similarly and guys like Carter/Zubrus contributed a lot as well.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

Him scoring does not effect the penalty kill percentage and of course hes going to be positive on the penalty kill because when you give up a PP goal no one on the ice gets a minus for it :laugh:

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Of course other players contribute to the penalty kill! You don't get the highest penalty kill percentage in NHL history for no reason.

That's not what I'm saying, I'm just saying that teams were weary when Kovalchuk was on the ice for the penalty kill. They were more nervous in turning the puck over which forced bad plays and wasted opportunities.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Him scoring does not effect the penalty kill percentage and of course hes going to be positive on the penalty kill because when you give up a PP goal no one on the ice gets a minus for it :laugh:

nah, I believe he was actually on for more shorthanded goals for than he was goals given up while shorthanded, which is impressive (not +/- as the league counts it, but actual +/-)

I'm not trying to say he wasn't good on the PK that year. Of course he was. That doesn't mean hes the reason why it wasn't great in the playoffs.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
nah, I believe he was actually on for more shorthanded goals for than he was goals giving up while shorthanded, which is impressive (not +/- as the league counts it, but actual +/-)

I'm not trying to say he wasn't good on the PK that year. Of course he was. That doesn't mean hes the reason why it wasn't great in the playoffs.

Ah, Makes sense misunderstood

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Kovalchuk played 1:09 per game on the PK in 2011-12 and 36 seconds per game on the PK during the playoffs. I don't really think 33 seconds less made THAT big a difference. Volch being hurt and Marty having a poor first round - till Game 7 - made a lot more of a difference.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...lter=gamesPlayed,gte,&sort=shTimeOnIcePerGame

Kovalchuk was twelfth among DEVILS players (and sixth among forwards) in average PK time during the regular season. He was an asset but hardly the main reason they set records.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I feel if all the teams mentioned are interested in kovy I would think shero has to be able to pry more then just a second round pick out of them.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I feel if all the teams mentioned are interested in kovy I would think shero has to be able to pry more then just a second round pick out of them.

Would NJ be willing to retain salary on Kovalchuk's new NHL deal?

Say he signs a 2 year deal worth 14M (7M AAV), would NJ consider retaining 2M?

If so, from Columbus, I'd offer Abramov (arguably our top F prospect not named Dubois) + '18 2nd Rd Pick + Matt Calvert for Kovalchuk @5M

Is that in the general ballpark of what NJ is looking for in return?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

If so, from Columbus, I'd offer Abramov (arguably our top F prospect not named Dubois) + '18 2nd Rd Pick + Matt Calvert for Kovalchuk @5M

I'd sign off on that deal if I'm Ray.

Kovy would be a huge get for Cbj

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
While the topic of Kovy and the PK is still around it still ****s with my mind that he was a positive on the penalty kill that season. Like that's gotta be extremely rare, no? To be on for more goals scored on the penalty kill than your team allowed? Insanity to think about really.

Not to say Kovalchuk was the be all end all of the PK that season, it was a well-oiled machine with many players contributing. But he certainly made a big impact on it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
While the topic of Kovy and the PK is still around it still ****s with my mind that he was a positive on the penalty kill that season. Like that's gotta be extremely rare, no? To be on for more goals scored on the penalty kill than your team allowed? Insanity to think about really.

Not to say Kovalchuk was the be all end all of the PK that season, it was a well-oiled machine with many players contributing. But he certainly made a big impact on it.

He wasn't on for more goals for than against with a goalie in the net. He was even, which is still remarkable. Rick Nash managed to be +2 in 30 minutes one year.

The Devils barely put Kovalchuk out for any faceoffs on the PK, meaning he would only come out on the fly, meaning teams had to get set up in the zone with him out on the ice - dangerous if the power play team turned the puck over going over the blueline. He would come out late in the PK so anyone double-shifting would have to face a fresh Kovalchuk. And he could exploit any overaggressive keeps by point-men.

Last edited:

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
I'd sign off on that deal if I'm Ray.

Kovy would be a huge get for Cbj

Good trade partners actually. I'm sure Castron still has extensive knowledge of what's in their system.

I know this is from earlier but there is not a snowball's chance in hell he would get traded to the Rangers barring borderline insane overpayment. He's not getting swapped for ****ing Lindberg.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Good trade partners actually. I'm sure Castron still has extensive knowledge of what's in their system.

I know this is from earlier but there is not a snowball's chance in hell he would get traded to the Rangers barring borderline insane overpayment. He's not getting swapped for ****ing Lindberg.

Yes, Cbj is a good trade partner even within the division.

I wanted us to draft Abramov so I would be stoked to acquire him.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

that's definitely in the ball park. i'm not expecting such a good return though

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

To be honest, I want to move Kovy for a defensemen. We can take on salary and add a draft pick.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Why don't you clown us with facts some more by telling us how Kovy would easily pot 40 goals until he's 40 again?

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Bleedred I cannot take you serious as a Devils fans. You are bandwagoning with the Sharks and then think you can just be a Devils fan at the same time?

A true fan only supports his favorite team, everything else is competition. Come back when you want to stick with this franchise through the rebuild instead of bandwagoning on to another team.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Bleedred I cannot take you serious as a Devils fans. You are bandwagoning with the Sharks and then think you can just be a Devils fan at the same time?

A true fan only supports his favorite team, everything else is competition. Come back when you want to stick with this franchise through the rebuild instead of bandwagoning on to another team.

He posts in our GDTs more than you do, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad