Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
As a reminder for Kovalthread Three:

-His rights cannot be traded.
-He cannot sign until July 1. He is free to be traded after being signed.
-Any trade cannot involve 2017 draft picks.
-His agent and Shero have confirmed his interest in coming back to the NHL.

And go go go

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I would be surprised if he gets dealt this summer. Not because lack of interest but teams probably want to see what he has left and shero won't back down from his value which he shouldn't. He didn't back down when hall for Larson happened so I don't see him being "happy" with just a single pick.

Sign him and move him at the deadline teams see what he has left and get his contract at a reduced rate for the season so they don't have to do that much cap moving. Yeah there's the risk of him getting hurt and him not being any good from the get go. But honesty it's found money I rather try and hit it big and go this route then sign him and deal him July 1st for a single pick.

The going rate for him should be two picks and a legit prospect. That might sound like a lot but there are a lot of gms on the hot seat now that want to win now. If they don't want to pay the price for their shot in their cup windows then sit on kovy for another year let him go ufa

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If we're trading with Chicago in respect to Kovy, its nearly impossible due to their salary cap. I'd also rather try and grab Pokka instead. Its tough for them to dump anyone on us. Kruger is likely going to be taken in the ED who basically 0s out their cap situation (they still need to move more salary) and most anyone else of merit salary wise would not be a true dump. I'd reckon any value would be in the salary we take back because it wouldnt be a bad player. Maybe Hjalmarsson? Tough dealing w/ Chicago. They're not in a position to take on 5-6M. They would make more sense if it was at the deadline.

I also dunno if Chicago would be interested in a reunited Hossa/Kovy.

I'd argue that Chicago makes one of the worse trading partners. Unless they move multiples of their bigger contracts, they just can't pull off a Kovy trade.

i guess it depends on what his contract is going to look like. i really don't think the cap hit will be all that high...but I also don't know anything about chicago's cap situation. i wouldnt mind taking a bad contract off of their hands, or retaining some of kovy's salary. i just really like the prospect, i think he'll wind up being one of the better picks from that draft. especially considering he was drafted in the 3rd or 4th round, i think.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm just so happy with the prospect of getting assets in return for him. I don't care what they are.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'd rather have a 1st for Kovalchuk, keep our second and keep Speers.

A 1st, a 2nd and Speers seems more beneficial to us than just Meier.

I'm just thinking of Kovy as house money at this point. If you asked me if I'd be happy with Speers + 2nd for Meier, I'd be ecstatic. I'd take a 1st for Kovy too, but getting a guy that's likely ready to contribute now and plays a position of need would be even better for me. Speers is a promising prospect, but I think Meier has a chance to be a much better player.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
No way... while both bad the Prout for Quincey is almost unjustifiable.

The Prout trade was a favour to Jarmo for not demanding a 3rd for Caston. We're taking a year of Prout's cap for CBJ, and keeping our pick. I don't get why people still don't get this and keep complaining about the trade.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The Prout trade was a favour to Jarmo for not demanding a 3rd for Caston. We're taking a year of Prout's cap for CBJ, and keeping our pick. I don't get why people still don't get this and keep complaining about the trade.

...except I am pretty sure that

A) that rule doesn't exist anymore and B) it only existed for coaches and GMs

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
...except I am pretty sure that

A) that rule doesn't exist anymore and B) it only existed for coaches and GMs

It was pretty much confirmed on Sportsnet at the time of the trade. And that rule is still present, it was relevant as recently as when Buffalo were looking at Futa.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It was pretty much confirmed on Sportsnet at the time of the trade. And that rule is still present, it was relevant as recently as when Buffalo were looking at Futa.

so then what is this?

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-to-end-coach-and-executive-compensation-policy/c-791590

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. -- Draft-pick compensation for the hiring of coaches and executives from other teams will be eliminated, effective Jan. 1, Commissioner Gary Bettman said Tuesday following the completion of the Board of Governors meeting.

The original policy was put into effect Jan. 1, 2015, in part to allow for compensation for coaches and executives under contract who departed for a position with another team. But it morphed to include coaches and executives who had been fired but remained under contract.

Now the League will return to the previous policy, which requires teams to grant permission to its coaches and executives under contract to interview with other teams. If permission is granted and the coach or executive changes teams, there will no longer be any compensation to the team losing personnel.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think the Prout move was more about bringing in a RHD than anything. And who knows, maybe Castron put in a good word for him.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I wasn't complaining about it. Just that it wasn't good. If that in fact is the case, as it's been mentioned here a bunch too, then that's fine. Regardless it was still a crap return as we probably could've gotten at least a third for Quincey anyway. It doesn't even matter at this point so whatever.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Out there is a team that feels they are a kovy away from being a real contender. This is not a parenteau trade where we know we won't get much in return
D and RW are our needs. This trade should address them

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Out there is a team that feels they are a kovy away from being a real contender. This is not a parenteau trade where we know we won't get much in return
D and RW are our needs. This trade should address them

I'd still like to see Ray explore a 3-team deal if a straight up Kovy trade isn't a match for the Devils' needs.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'd still like to see Ray explore a 3-team deal if a straight up Kovy trade isn't a match for the Devils' needs.
There are already three players in this: Kovalchuk, the Devils, and our potential trade partner. It's going to be difficult to get any deal done that satisfies all three to begin with. I don't see how adding a 4th is going to make this any easier.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I think the Prout move was more about bringing in a RHD than anything. And who knows, maybe Castron put in a good word for him.

I feel they did Quincey the favor by sending him somewhere he wanted to go where he'd have a chance or guarantee at the playoffs. It's not a stretch that there wasn't a large market for him and Ray did him a solid by taking a expendable piece in return to send him somewhere he was interested in or gave him the chance to play in the playoffs. If the best he could do otherwise was a 4th round pick from a different team, it's so insignificant that its not even worth the energy discussing. Quincey may have chosen Columbus. It could have even been a handshake agreement when Quincey chose us over other places at the beginning of the season. Too many possibilities that we'll likely never know the exact reason for.

As for Kovy, I hope this **** gets done July 1st. When he's no longer mentioned in the same breath as the Devils, it will be a good thing.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
There are already three players in this: Kovalchuk, the Devils, and our potential trade partner. It's going to be difficult to get any deal done that satisfies all three to begin with. I don't see how adding a 4th is going to make this any easier.

It's already complicated and won't make it easier. It doesn't mean the Devils shouldn't do everything to exploit a unique opportunity to improve the club.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Sharks probably don't have cap space for Kovalchuk.

I already feel like Marleau might not be back as it is. With Kovalchuk there on the cap, Thornton might be gone too. All depends on who Vegas takes.

PLEASE. TAKE. BOEDKER. PLEASE! GMGM!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The Sharks probably don't have cap space for Kovalchuk.

I already feel like Marleau might not be back as it is. With Kovalchuk there on the cap, Thornton might be gone too. All depends on who Vegas takes.

PLEASE. TAKE. BOEDKER. PLEASE! GMGM!

Kovalchuk for Boedker.:P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad