Speculation: Still Still Much Ado About Kovy - Still still still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
My reasoning would be I'd rather not sign a 34 year old that we have zero idea how effective he's going to be to anything more than a 2 year deal. If we give him 2 years and he's not any good, fine. At least it's a short term thing. Give him 3 years and he pulls a Cammalleri after a year and then we're stuck with him for 2 more years. If he's still a 30 goal, 60 point player, great. We've got him for 2 years and if we're close to contending can always bring him back for another year after that. I just think it's less risky on a 1-2 year deal than 3.

This is all likely moot anyway as I don't see him wanting to come back to spend his last few years with a team that likely won't be contending until he's 37-38 at the earliest.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If you sign Kovalchuk for 3 years, and he's not what you wanted after year 1, or year 2, you could always move him to another team. The brand name alone will draw interest. Just look at the contract Eric Staal got this summer, and he was horrendous the previous season.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Karlsson will be traded before he hits UFA. He won't make it to the open market even if he doesn't sign with the Sens.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Karlsson will be traded before he hits UFA. He won't make it to the open market even if he doesn't sign with the Sens.

Not necessarily, I heard he wants NYC. whether that means Rangers or not, not sure. And whether that means he's set on that or not, he probably doesn't even know at this point. But him staying in Ottawa longterm isn't a lock at all. I wouldn't even say its likely.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
If you sign Kovalchuk for 3 years, and he's not what you wanted after year 1, or year 2, you could always move him to another team. The brand name alone will draw interest. Just look at the contract Eric Staal got this summer, and he was horrendous the previous season.

If there is barely any interest in a 34 year old kovalchuk what makes you think teams are going to be knocking on the door for a 35-36 year old kovalchuk likely signed at 5 plus

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If there is barely any interest in a 34 year old kovalchuk what makes you think teams are going to be knocking on the door for a 35-36 year old kovalchuk likely signed at 5 plus

Barely any interest? There have been multiple reports of like 7+ teams that are interested...

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Barely any interest? There have been multiple reports of like 7+ teams that are interested...

Which arent even confirmed reports, Just a bunch of reporters spitballing.

Leafs-Denied by Dreger
Rangers,Columbus- Brooks (Lol)
Sharks,Blues- Friedman, basically due to Deboer and Marty connection.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Which arent even confirmed reports, Just a bunch of reporters spitballing.

Leafs-Denied by Dreger
Rangers,Columbus- Brooks (Lol)
Sharks,Blues- Friedman, basically due to Deboer and Marty connection.

I mean, we really have zero idea what teams have been calling Ray or what teams are communicating with Grossman. We have no idea

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Brooks and Friedman are not claiming to be spitballing. They are claiming to know. The question is whether Grossman is feeding them fake information or not.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Brooks and Friedman are not claiming to be spitballing. They are claiming to know. The question is whether Grossman is feeding them fake information or not.

And/or what the precise LEVEL of interest is. Are teams interested on a one-year deal and only willing to give up a mid-round pick, or do some of these teams want to sign him to a multi-year deal and trade us some decent return? Everyone's associating interest with the latter but I'm a bit skeptical. I think a lot of teams would be interested if the price was (cough) right.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
My whole point is that there is no difference of him underperforming with a high cap him on year 3 than not having him there. Its not your money paying his contract and that money isn't going to be preventing anyone from being signed - all our top players will become free agents after his contract is over regardless.

I also brought up OEL and Karlsson because there is no reason to be saving $10-12 mil in cap space - they won't be signing here. The only reason I can see either of them going to UFA is if they are not comfortable playing for teams that operate on a budget.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
My whole point is that there is no difference of him underperforming with a high cap him on year 3 than not having him there. Its not your money paying his contract and that money isn't going to be preventing anyone from being signed - all our top players will become free agents after his contract is over regardless.

I also brought up OEL and Karlsson because there is no reason to be saving $10-12 mil in cap space - they won't be signing here. The only reason I can see either of them going to UFA is if they are not comfortable playing for teams that operate on a budget.

Shouldn't be using cap space just to use it either. Rather not have a third liner kovalchuk at over 5 mil when he's 37. You see this board complaint about Cammy already and he's 34. It's not about saving space for free agents either, it's also about being flexible come deadline and acquiring players. 10 mil gets eaten up real quick

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Shouldn't be using cap space just to use it either. Rather not have a third liner kovalchuk at over 5 mil when he's 37. You see this board complaint about Cammy already and he's 34. It's not about saving space for free agents either, it's also about being flexible come deadline and acquiring players. 10 mil gets eaten up real quick

Not to mention a spot in the lineup.

Unless Cammy get's moved, he is going to play, and he most probably is going to be top 9 if not top 6. Cammy could still get pp time as well. Meanwhile a guy like Q might start the season in the A, a guy like Blender might be on the 4th line.

And the same would probably be true of a broken down 36 yr old Kovy making $5mil. He'd get ice time.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You know what we should discuss?

Hall-Patrick-Kovalchuk

Three first overall picks on one line with all 3 being under the age of 35. Never in the history of the NHL has that ever happened among players from different generations and you could see it happen on the team that we support.

This team has not seen a KO punch line in a long time. The problem was that Zajac would be centering our great wingers which would just hamper the line from ever achieving true greatness. Now, you have a guy in the center position that is a game breaker. You have a natural passer in Taylor Hall as well and then you have Kovalchuk to finish the deal and seal it. This is the type of line that brings your team into the playoffs, you have to give Kovalchuk whatever he wants.

Shero needs to be smart with this extra cap space. Give Kovalchuk what he wants, as much money as it takes because you can field the best 1st line in the league with three first overall players.

I like your thinking and not disagreeing with your lineup. If kovy comes. BAck his best year will probably be his first year back double so if he only signs a one year deal with us. If it's a one year deal I don't have a problem paying him the 7 million and then flipping him at the deadline but ownership won't shell out that type of cash

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
there is 0.00% chance that OEL or Karlsson hit UFA

Unless the yotes move I can't see them giving a guy more then 8 million. The sens are a small market team themselves. I wouldn't put it past them making it to ufa because those two teams are definitely the types of teams that wouldn't be able to keep them.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I like your thinking and not disagreeing with your lineup. If kovy comes. BAck his best year will probably be his first year back double so if he only signs a one year deal with us. If it's a one year deal I don't have a problem paying him the 7 million and then flipping him at the deadline but ownership won't shell out that type of cash

Can you stop with this, please?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
TNR has shelled money on payroll when it has had good reason to do so.

If Ray needs money, JH/DB will come through.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What makes you think the player even wants to sign a one year deal to be a rental?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Let's see if you actually read my post

You disagree with me and think ownership will be open to signing kovy for a year at 7 million then trade him at the deadline?

Trading him at the deadline has absolutely nothing to do with ownership.

I personally think that there is less than 0% chance that Kovy plays here. However, I don't believe for one second that IF he wanted to play here and IF it took $7 million, they wouldnt hesitate. They will spend when needed. Hell, Ray even said that he told them that he didn't need their money the past 1-2 years.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Click on the profile name and a bunch of options will drop down. View public profile, etc, send private message. Click send profile message.

And I would be open to him playing for us, but only because of how pathetic our offense has been for years now. I'd hope he could provide 50-60 points and that's the only reason I'd take him back.

Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad