Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Their specs make them out to be old stock/repainted/final run Combat sticks. If they're still at regular price, then you might as well get TRUE, which you can think of as an upgraded successor to Combat sticks.

blackout44

Jun 5, 2014
Bauer's PM9 is nearly flat, and very short. I absolutely hate it, but it's exactly what you're looking for.

I have it too. I also hate it, lol. But if someone wants a fairly flat curve, then it should fit the bill.

Albeit, I'm a total bender, but wrist shots and the PM9 do not work well for me. I went back to my first stick which is a P88 and it was soooo much better, but I digress.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ya I've had that before and it's not too bad, I personally hate bauer sticks though haha

Every brand has a clone of the PM9 curve. I just refer to what I know best, Bauer sticks.

I have it too. I also hate it, lol. But if someone wants a fairly flat curve, then it should fit the bill.

Albeit, I'm a total bender, but wrist shots and the PM9 do not work well for me. I went back to my first stick which is a P88 and it was soooo much better, but I digress.

Honestly, the PM9 curve doesn't benefit your shot in any way. Wrist shots are slow as hell, and it's difficult to roof the puck with such a flat blade. Backhanders aren't bad with the PM9, but I don't see many people shooting on the backhand.

I see the P88 as being an enhanced version of the PM9. It's longer and deeper, which allows for harder shots.

Greasy Sliders

Jun 29, 2012
Every brand has a clone of the PM9 curve. I just refer to what I know best, Bauer sticks.

Honestly, the PM9 curve doesn't benefit your shot in any way. Wrist shots are slow as hell, and it's difficult to roof the puck with such a flat blade. Backhanders aren't bad with the PM9, but I don't see many people shooting on the backhand.

I see the P88 as being an enhanced version of the PM9. It's longer and deeper, which allows for harder shots.

It may not totally benifit your shot, but with practice your shot is totally fine. But I don't get that curve for the shooting, the handling and passing on either side is just much more consistent, and playing a high level the consistent part is nice in a fast paced game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It may not totally benifit your shot, but with practice your shot is totally fine. But I don't get that curve for the shooting, the handling and passing on either side is just much more consistent, and playing a high level the consistent part is nice in a fast paced game.

It doesn't suit my style of play (shooting from anywhere when uncovered). I use deep toe curves, and to me, they're just as good for passing and even better for puck handling than the flat curves.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
The PM9 is a tough one for most shots but can be useful for passing and backhanders, but does any other company bother to make a clone of it now?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How do you like toe curves? thinking of grabbing one myself.

I love toe curves. I will never use a heel curve again. Mid curves are fine too. They're pretty straightforward to use. Shoot off the heel to keep the puck low, shoot off the toe to go top shelf. Use the heel to shoot slap shots, and control the height with the follow through.
I suggest starting with a mild mid toe curve like a P92, then move on to a real toe curve like the P14, and then if you want something even deeper, get the E28.

Saucer passes are a lot easier too, because you can give a lot of spin to the puck.

The P08 and all Ovi pro stock type of curves are a bit too extreme for me, because they aren't straight at the heel, they have a lot more loft than the other toe curves. Slap shots go too high with them.

Fluke

Sep 27, 2009
I've used Easton sticks my whole life (Sakic curve) but got an RBZ 80 on a whim last year and ended up really liking it. I like that $120-150 price range because I wear sticks out fast and don't feel bad about getting a couple a year. Anyway, the sportchek by my house has Stealth RS1s on clearance for the same price as the new RBZ 130 and I'm torn. Any opinions on what I should go with? I'm 5'9, 170 and use 85 flex cut down quite short.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The RS1s they have on sale aren't likely to be the originals, but rather an SMU run. They're clunkier and heavier than the original. Don't know how performance stacks up, but regardless, they should be better value than the 130, which is the RBZ 80 equivalent.

Burnaby_Joe*

The RS1s they have on sale aren't likely to be the originals, but rather an SMU run. They're clunkier and heavier than the original. Don't know how performance stacks up, but regardless, they should be better value than the 130, which is the RBZ 80 equivalent.

Has someone told you this or you read it somewhere?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I was tipped off on it, then went to check it myself to confirm. Let's just say that given my previous work experience, I know this to be common practice to do those production runs or closeouts where the end product isn't always consistent.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I was tipped off on it, then went to check it myself to confirm. Let's just say that given my previous work experience, I know this to be common practice to do those production runs or closeouts where the end product isn't always consistent.

Do you think it's possible that a brand like Bauer would dress a stick they didn't manage to sell, let's say an APX, as an APX 2 to sell it at the full price, provided that you can't feel the difference between the two ?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Absolutely not. It is likely a 3rd party counterfeit if you encounter this on secondary markets (as in, not a dealer)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
So I just bought the RBZ Superfast 95 flex Landeskog curve.. Mother of god, this stick shouldn't even be legal. Someone is going to die blocking a shot against this.. :laugh:. I've taken about 100 shots with it and this is hands down the best stick I've ever used. The trampoline effect is so noticeable not just in shots but stick handling and passing feels so crisp. Unbelievable stick.. highly recommend to get it.

And bonus.. if you're a taller guy like myself they make the 95's longer. First time in a while I won't have to put a wood plug in it.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
Has anyone tried out the colt hockey stick? It's suppose to be pretty much unbreakable. Colt hockey.com if you haven't seen it yet.

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Last thanksgiving I snagged a Bauer Vapor 7.0 intermediate stick. (INT 67 Kane) This was a big upgrade on the Vapor 4.0 I had been using and I love it, especially the weight. (I'm a small guy who has had wrist issues in the past.)

A year later and I'm going to be looking to replace it. If the 7.0 was still being made, I would just buy a new one. Has it just been rebranded by Bauer under a different name? Is it the X90? I feel like it's not because HockeyMonkey lists it as 464 grams, well above the 7.0's 376 grams. (Keep in mind, these are weights for INT sticks.) The x100 appears to be Senior only.

I'm hoping to avoid the high end price point. Does anyone know of any sticks that might compare to the Vapor 7.0, a quality step down from the high end? Maybe Bauer Nexus 1000 is the way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad