Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I've been using whippy sticks for a while now, I can't even recall what an 85 feels like.

greatwhiteshark

Jun 12, 2013
Bay Area, Cali
Since the season is starting up soon, I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice in what stick to get. Last year I used a Bauer Total One NXG 77 Flex cut down 2 inches; Toews Curve. The stick itself is amazing, I love the power and durability of the Supreme line of sticks. I had owned a couple APX's before that and they broke way to quickly for a $250 stick. A couple things I didn't like about my previous NXG were:

The Curve: The Toews curve raised my shots a bit too high for my liking. I play left wing, but I like to take outside shots and one-timers. I was looking into the Stamkos/Malkin Pm9 curve.

Shaft Shape: While some people really enjoy the more square corners of the NXG, I found them to make my hands more uncomfortable. I found that once I started playing with this stick, my hands got tired a lot quicker. I have no problem with the Tac-Spiral grip, but I wish the NXG came with more rounded corners.

Other than that, I'm not a fan of low-kick sticks. I'd much rather have the option of getting the maximum amount of power into my shots with a mid-kick. I also prefer the puck feel of mid sticks than low.

Thanks Guys!

BTW... I am about 5'8" and 135 lbs, so what would the ideal stick length and flex be for me?

Last edited:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
What's everyone's opinion on the "wholesale" sticks from China? I've ordered from them for awhile now and I've never noticed anything wrong with them. They seem legit. Only $1000 for 10 $260 sticks. Can't beat it.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
5'7" and I cut them about 1" below my mouth in bare feet.

I also am the same size and I cut it down that short.
How do you find your shot?

I can stick handle awesome with this setting just My shot is kinda lacking. If I use a "reg length" such as to my nose on barefeet my shot kicks ass but my handling sucks.

Just trying to find a midpoint here.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It's possible. I always had the feeling that my APX was thinner than my friend's Nexus 1000, but that's probably because of the shaft's shape (rounded corners with concave walls).

But if you compare an Int stick with its senior counterpart, you will most likely feel the difference.

I thought my Rekker EK 15 had very similar shaft dimensions to my RS SR light.

... Or was I just not seeing it right?

I like OTS answer the best.

What's everyone's opinion on the "wholesale" sticks from China? I've ordered from them for awhile now and I've never noticed anything wrong with them. They seem legit. Only $1000 for 10 $260 sticks. Can't beat it.

´Depends on what they truly are, whether or not they are simply unbranded OEM product (which is likely to be more reliable) or counterfeits (self explanatory).

Either way, the uncertainty and risk is not worth it, especially once you consider the fact that could should have no problem finding high end sticks for $100 to $150, which come with warranty if retail.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I played around with my friend's RBK 16k 75 flex last night.

I thought it was as whippy as my Rekker EK15 65 flex despite being cut down to a bit lower than my stick.

Weird.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Do you have trouble receiving hard passes? Only restriction I might have on buying one

With an intermediate? Not at all.

The Curve: The Toews curve raised my shots a bit too high for my liking. I play left wing, but I like to take outside shots and one-timers. I was looking into the Stamkos/Malkin Pm9 curve.

Shaft Shape: While some people really enjoy the more square corners of the NXG, I found them to make my hands more uncomfortable. I found that once I started playing with this stick, my hands got tired a lot quicker. I have no problem with the Tac-Spiral grip, but I wish the NXG came with more rounded corners.

Other than that, I'm not a fan of low-kick sticks. I'd much rather have the option of getting the maximum amount of power into my shots with a mid-kick. I also prefer the puck feel of mid sticks than low.

Thanks Guys!

BTW... I am about 5'8" and 135 lbs, so what would the ideal stick length and flex be for me?

If the P14 is too open, I would go P88. It's similar, just with a neutral toe.

At your height and weight, have you thought about intermediate? It might also take care of the shaft size issue. You can get the 75 flex version which would be just a bit whippier than the senior 77.

I wouldn't trust it, but that's just me.

I also am the same size and I cut it down that short.
How do you find your shot?

I can stick handle awesome with this setting just My shot is kinda lacking. If I use a "reg length" such as to my nose on barefeet my shot kicks ass but my handling sucks.

Just trying to find a midpoint here.

I do notice my shot tails off when I cut to my chin in bare feet, and my stickhandling drops off when the stick is longer than my nose in bare feet. Around the mouth (or just below where I am) is a good tradeoff for me. But it doesn't feel drastically different.

You also want to make sure the flex and kickpoint work with the stick length. I use a bit shorter stick and keep my hands close together, and I like a dual kick stick that works without having to drop my bottom hand way down. And the right flex so I don't have to work too hard to load it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Since the season is starting up soon, I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice in what stick to get. Last year I used a Bauer Total One NXG 77 Flex cut down 2 inches; Toews Curve. The stick itself is amazing, I love the power and durability of the Supreme line of sticks. I had owned a couple APX's before that and they broke way to quickly for a $250 stick. A couple things I didn't like about my previous NXG were:

Thanks Guys!

Since you don't like square shafts and low kick sticks, I suggest you move away from Bauer sticks, and find what feels best. Maybe you could look in the pro stock sticks that combine round shafts and a mid kick.

As for the curve, the P88 will fix your height control issues.
An int stick in the 65-75 flex range would be ideal for you.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
On the topic of "China" sticks...

I'd say you're gambling here. Sometimes they are defect leaks from the factory, sometimes they're straight up fakes.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just bought an Easton Synergy 40 stick (75 flex, E28 curve), to be paired up with my Warrior Covert DT4LT (85 flex, W28 curve) for the 2014-15 season. It's my first Easton stick. The curve and flex are perfect for me.

What do you guys think about it ? I took some shots for an hour today and it was awesome.
Any comments (on durability, performance) ?

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
Picked up a backup Sherwood EK15(PP26/95 flex) at Pure Hockey's annual tent sale this morning before work. Can't pass up that stick at 20% off(they also let me use a 15.00 coupon I had as well, which I thought was cool) and got a free t-shirt.

This will replace my outgoing Nexon N12, and will be ready to go when my current EK15 decides to start breaking down. Which it shows no signs of, and I have been using it almost exclusively(2 games a week, sometimes 3) since late March. Solid stick, very impressed with it.

Speaking of Sherwood, I am looking forward to seeing the T-120 when it comes out in October. Looks like a lighter version of the T-100. Which should make for a solid twig.

Kane88

Nov 1, 2012
Comparing sticks

Can anyone tell me how different the nexus 800 kane 67 flex is to the easton rs 2 hall 65 flex ive never used the nexus and i will be using it for tryouts

Psuedo Omega

Nov 1, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I think the biggest difference will be the Lie, as that can change up the sweet spot where you can receive a pass or handle the puck. I found that to be the biggest challenge when I switch sticks. If you have not gotten the stick yet, I would look into a Backstrom curve, as that is pretty much identical to the Hall curve.

I don't think flex will be an issue. The amount of weight you put into your shot will probably not change, and you should get a similar bend between a 67 and a 65.

There are usually slight changes to how you do things when you switch up a curve. You'll find it takes a little different touch to snipe spots you're used to. The Kane curve you might find a little more difficulty shooting high from a Hall curve, but puck handling should be a bit easier. If possible, I would go to a skate and shoot beforehand and see if there is anything different. Good Luck at your try out!

Kane88

Nov 1, 2012
I think the biggest difference will be the Lie, as that can change up the sweet spot where you can receive a pass or handle the puck. I found that to be the biggest challenge when I switch sticks. If you have not gotten the stick yet, I would look into a Backstrom curve, as that is pretty much identical to the Hall curve.

I don't think flex will be an issue. The amount of weight you put into your shot will probably not change, and you should get a similar bend between a 67 and a 65.

There are usually slight changes to how you do things when you switch up a curve. You'll find it takes a little different touch to snipe spots you're used to. The Kane curve you might find a little more difficulty shooting high from a Hall curve, but puck handling should be a bit easier. If possible, I would go to a skate and shoot beforehand and see if there is anything different. Good Luck at your try out!

thanks for the reply, I wont get the chance to try it out before my try out which really sucks, do you think the same shooting technique will work?

Psuedo Omega

Nov 1, 2013
Binghamton, NY
thanks for the reply, I wont get the chance to try it out before my try out which really sucks, do you think the same shooting technique will work?

You will be fine doing what you're already doing. It's not like this will make or break your chance at making the team. It's more the little things that might feel a little different...but not so much it will ruin your game or be completely different. I say bring both sticks to your tryout if you can. If not, no big deal. Just blame any rustiness on a long summer. :nod:

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
You will be fine doing what you're already doing. It's not like this will make or break your chance at making the team. It's more the little things that might feel a little different...but not so much it will ruin your game or be completely different. I say bring both sticks to your tryout if you can. If not, no big deal. Just blame any rustiness on a long summer. :nod:

Please do not ever do this. Don't ever blame lack of skill on not skating or playing, this shows the coach you lack both interest and drive to be better. If you are rusty and you absolutely have to blame something blame new stick, new sharpening, etc. But don't exaggerate it. Ex: If you cant do a toe drag, and you couldn't before, don't blame the new stick. Just tell the coach you've been working at it and haven't gotten it just yet. The best thing a coach can hear is that a player is committed to bettering him/herself.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just started playing ice again and I wait for the end of the season blow out on-line sales. I'm just not going to spend $100+ for a stick(I will never spend $200). Tend to be limited(especially as a righty, way more options for lefties) in curve and flex but still some great deals.

Hockey Monkey had a 25% off of clearance price sale over the 4th of July holiday and I picked up a Warrior Widow with a Burrow's curve(which turned out to be a real basic curve which I like) with a 100 flex(and I'm finding I don't like whippy sticks anyway) for about $70. Have really liked the stick and find it an upgrade(just better control really) over my previous composite sticks (warrior covert dt-5 and a Graf something or other(got that one for $27 bucks, not a fan of the curve though).

Currently Monkey has a %50 off of clearance price, so there is a Easton Mako with a retail of $270 that can be had for under $90, only right handed option is a 100 flex with a Preissing curve(as always there are more lefty options). Other deals there too but you have to flip though.

Shooting blind a bit I guess, but if you know the brand, and are familiar with the curves, you get a pretty good idea of what you are getting. And it's not like you really know a stick till you play with it a bit, so I think off-the-shelf has an elemant of the unknown as well.

Psuedo Omega

Nov 1, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Please do not ever do this. Don't ever blame lack of skill on not skating or playing, this shows the coach you lack both interest and drive to be better. If you are rusty and you absolutely have to blame something blame new stick, new sharpening, etc. But don't exaggerate it. Ex: If you cant do a toe drag, and you couldn't before, don't blame the new stick. Just tell the coach you've been working at it and haven't gotten it just yet. The best thing a coach can hear is that a player is committed to bettering him/herself.

^ He is correct. I should make it more clear next time I was joking.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Whatever he's strong enough to flex is plenty fine for him. No dogma is necessary here. If he can't flex it, then that obviously changes the process a lot.

Some people make the mistake of using a stick too stiff for them. I was just saying that he'd have to be insanely ripped at his size to be able to use a 90 flex stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad