Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
I got a Warrior QR1 at work that broke, so I used the warranty to try out the new ccm Superfast, and was I ever pleased. I've used every high end stick on the market right now and in terms of shooting, puck control and flat out putting the puck in the net, nothing comes close to this. This stick isn't as light as the mx3 or QR1 but the weight distribution is as Good or better. It has the same flex profile as a nexus, but the shaft carries a better load, and there is simply no comparison on the market for the blade.
The problems receiving passes and with clean puck handling I had with the first rbz are gone. The blade no longer feels "too rigid", receiving passes is still a bit more tricky than with a bauer or new HTX blade, but skilled players won't notice this much, if at all.
Everything is heavy and accurate with this stick. Slappers, snappers, back handers, they all go where you want, and quickly.
I've only used the stick for about 4 hours on the ice so i can't attest to durability, but if it holds up, I'll be making the switch to CCM sticks from Bauer for this season.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Last thanksgiving I snagged a Bauer Vapor 7.0 intermediate stick. (INT 67 Kane) This was a big upgrade on the Vapor 4.0 I had been using and I love it, especially the weight. (I'm a small guy who has had wrist issues in the past.)

A year later and I'm going to be looking to replace it. If the 7.0 was still being made, I would just buy a new one. Has it just been rebranded by Bauer under a different name? Is it the X90? I feel like it's not because HockeyMonkey lists it as 464 grams, well above the 7.0's 376 grams. (Keep in mind, these are weights for INT sticks.) The x100 appears to be Senior only.

I'm hoping to avoid the high end price point. Does anyone know of any sticks that might compare to the Vapor 7.0, a quality step down from the high end? Maybe Bauer Nexus 1000 is the way to go?
Your best bet will be to get one of the nexus 1000 sticks everyone has on from 129.99-149.99, or maybe get lucky and find an old x:60 somewhere. I just picked one up, a senior mind you, from my work at from another store for 59.99+ 15% off.

Edit: The sticks will feel different as it takes a bit more loading to get everything out of the nexus, but they still feel somewhat similar, as the Vapor has the intellisense dual flex technology.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Hockey Stick Question

I use the kane curve right now, but I was told by my coach that since I shoot off the toe of my stick more, that I should get a toe curve. He showed me a warrior with a curve that was so big it looked like a banana. He said I should give it a try. For 200 dollars I dont know if I want to buy a big curve like that and decide that I dont like it. Does anyone know any toe curves that aren't complete bananas?

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Your best bet will be to get one of the nexus 1000 sticks everyone has on from 129.99-149.99, or maybe get lucky and find an old x:60 somewhere. I just picked one up, a senior mind you, from my work at from another store for 59.99+ 15% off.

Edit: The sticks will feel different as it takes a bit more loading to get everything out of the nexus, but they still feel somewhat similar, as the Vapor has the intellisense dual flex technology.

Not sure where you're seeing 130-150. The best I can find is $170 for an INT Nexus 1000. And they are going out of stock at a lot of places.

I might pull the trigger on this today.

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ
Also look for a lightly used stick to save money. Can find top of the lines for 80-150 still in great shape or grab a new mid range stick like a QR4 or DT4LT for 80-100.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
I think that's the banana curve he was referring to.

My advice is to start with a P14. It's like a P88, but it curves at the toe and is a bit more open. It's a lot milder than the E28 or P08.

well as far as i know that, and the P14 are the only true toe curves out there, i was assuming he as talking about the p92 and a mistaken toe curve

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Also look for a lightly used stick to save money. Can find top of the lines for 80-150 still in great shape or grab a new mid range stick like a QR4 or DT4LT for 80-100.

You're better off buying a new pro stock than a used stock stick

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
well as far as i know that, and the P14 are the only true toe curves out there, i was assuming he as talking about the p92 and a mistaken toe curve

The P14 isn't the only toe curve. You have the E28/W28, the P08, the CCM Landeskog, Reebok Bergeron and the Warrior Kremlin. The P14 is the smallest of them. The P92 is halfway between a mid and a toe curve.

Jonapaloma

Feb 2, 2014
Cutting a one-piece

I live in Sweden and having a hard time finding a stick shaft that are intermediate. Im 5'4" so buying a senior stick and cut it would make it too stiff for me.

I have an idea that I'll buy a intermediate one-piece stick and cut off the blade and put in a blade I bought a long time ago. If the stick gets too short I plug in an extension to get the proper length. Is this possible you think?

I know the kickpoint might get screwed up but Im tired of buying a new one-piece stick every year. It gets to expensive as the blade always cracks :cry:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I live in Sweden and having a hard time finding a stick shaft that are intermediate. Im 5'4" so buying a senior stick and cut it would make it too stiff for me.

I have an idea that I'll buy a intermediate one-piece stick and cut off the blade and put in a blade I bought a long time ago. If the stick gets too short I plug in an extension to get the proper length. Is this possible you think?

I know the kickpoint might get screwed up but Im tired of buying a new one-piece stick every year. It gets to expensive as the blade always cracks :cry:

Bauer makes an INT TotalOne NXG shaft you know. Ask your store to order one for you if Bauer has any left.

You don't have to buy an OPS just to destroy it...

Jonapaloma

Feb 2, 2014
Bauer makes an INT TotalOne NXG shaft you know. Ask your store to order one for you if Bauer has any left.

You don't have to buy an OPS just to destroy it...

hah it would be preferable not to destroy one :P Im not sure that the stick you mention has the flex I want. Im scared that its to high because I have to cut it aswell.

From what I read it has a flex of 67 so cutting it would make it 77 or something. I have a stick that was 65 before I cut it and Im really satisfied with it. Although 2 flex between them isnt much :P

Does a bauer senior blade fit into the INT TotalOne NXG? My local sports store has those bauer blades at sale rather cheap.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Every stick's flex ratings feel different. A CCM RBZ 65 may feel stiffer than a Bauer Nexus 67, and a Bauer Vapor 67 may feel stiffer than a Bauer Supreme 67. I don't know what you prefer in terms of feel.

SR fits into INT.

Jonapaloma

Feb 2, 2014
Every stick's flex ratings feel different. A CCM RBZ 65 may feel stiffer than a Bauer Nexus 67, and a Bauer Vapor 67 may feel stiffer than a Bauer Supreme 67. I don't know what you prefer in terms of feel.

SR fits into INT.

Yeah its hard to know if you like the stick or not if you hadn't tried it.

But the Senior blade has to be non-tapered if the shaft is traditional 0.620?

Last edited:

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
Looks like Reebok may be getting out of the stick game and moving it over to their CCM line with what was supposed to be the new Ribcor Shadow branded as a CCM Ribcor 40K

mustang1967

Aug 3, 2014
Stick for child

My daughter just turned 11 and plays girl competitive hockey ( PeeWee) really good skater handle puck well but is small . About 4"11 and 72 lbs and her shoot has little power behind it. What is a good stick to give her more power or what flex . Don't want to spend a fortune

Thanks

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
My daughter just turned 11 and plays girl competitive hockey ( PeeWee) really good skater handle puck well but is small . About 4"11 and 72 lbs and her shoot has little power behind it. What is a good stick to give her more power or what flex . Don't want to spend a fortune

Thanks

At that size it probably won't cost a fortune. I mean a youth stick would probably be pushing it. I'm not sure if they still make a 45 flex but that or a 50 flex. If she doesn't have a problem with breaking sticks then she could use a 1 piece but if she breaks them fairly quickly you can always go to a 2 piece.

Jonapaloma

Feb 2, 2014
Ive seen a couple of INT shafts, TPS RESPONSE ARMOR R6 COMPOSITE online and Ive called them and asked them if a senior blade fit the shafts but they said no.

Maybe its because blades and shafts from different manufacturers dont fit? Even though senior blades should fit in INT shafts.

mustang1967

Aug 3, 2014
She has never broken a stick in 4 years . Just not very strong so no pop on her shots , so I thought a better flex might help your shot

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
At that size, a whippy Junior stick is perfect. Sherwood has the T30, it's an entry level composite stick, available in a 40 flex (perfect for your daughter's build). It's available in the Stastny and Coffey curve, which are quite open and will make it easy for her to shoot the puck in the air, an essential skill to score goals at that level. 11 yo goalies are barely taller than the net. Scoring is all about going top shelf in Pee Wee.

Also, it won't cost you an arm, so you can buy 2 or 3 of those.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sherwood-hockey-stick-t30-red-jr-2013.html

Obviously, it's just a suggestion. Go with the brand of your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad