Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I love this guide, but I will also offer this caveat for women, particularly beginners. Given that we have less proportional upper body strength than men, you need an even lower flex than men of your height. I saw a huge difference when i went from a 70 flex intermediate that was, admittedly, too long to a 50 flex (the tallest junior stick I could find - I'm 5'4 and this comes up to my lips in bare feet).

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
pretty good....arnt your pics of the blade "faces" backwards though?

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
What hockey stick should I buy?

Any advice for what hockey stick I should buy? And cost? More for casual games than serious leagues so I'm not really looking for NHL calibre.

What I'm looking for
-good for snap/wrist shots
-light and mobile, great for dangling
-medium-long reach

kurt83

Feb 28, 2012
I picked up an Easton EQ30 about a month ago and I love it. It's not a "high end" stick by any means but if you are a casual player the performance is just fine. Plus, if something stupid happens and it breaks (someone stomps on the blade during a face-off, etc.) and it breaks, it won't be too painful on the wallet to replace.

I find the stick seems to be rather durable and the blade is of pretty high quality for the price point. Also, it doesn't vibrate like some people have said some mid range sticks do.

Just my 2 cents

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Any advice for what hockey stick I should buy? And cost? More for casual games than serious leagues so I'm not really looking for NHL calibre.

What I'm looking for
-good for snap/wrist shots
-light and mobile, great for dangling
-medium-long reach

What sticks have you used before? I would recommend either a Bauer Supreme One60 or Vapor X4.0. Personally, I like the P88 (Kane) curve, it's got a slight open face which helps get some nice loft on your shots.

Reach shouldn't be a concern, all sticks are more or less the same length off the rack.

bp spec

Jun 7, 2010
What sticks have you used before? I would recommend either a Bauer Supreme One60 or Vapor X4.0. Personally, I like the P88 (Kane) curve, it's got a slight open face which helps get some nice loft on your shots.

Reach shouldn't be a concern, all sticks are more or less the same length off the rack.

I use the P88 curve with the Supreme OnePro. Decent stick for the price, but is worth it when you use 15 sticks a season. It's good for snappers and wristers. Quite good for backhands too. I can't shoot the slappers that I used to. Or I can at least not rise the shots as well as I could with for an example P92 or 19.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
depending on when you live you should look om Kijiji.ca or Craigslist. lots and i mean LOTS of semi-pro and junior/college players sell pro stock sticks for average around $100. If you were going to buy one from teh store for around or over that you should look for these instead. I got 3 RBK 11K's for $250, one of them is around $260 retail.

the description you gave is more about flex than the stick type. all high end sticks are light and easy to manuver. you want more whip go with a 65-85flex, if you want stiff or you are a heavy guy go with 95-110 flex.

also remember that every 1" you cut off a stick increase teh flex by 10

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1050635

I really hope you've read this before posting, there are so many duplicate topics out there about the exact same thing that you could do a search and at least one thread will address your every need.

If you have any more specific questions about sticks, go ahead, but for general inquiries like that, best to use resources already available.

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Thanks to everyone who has helped. The semipro sticks are something I'll really have to look into. I'm too small for major junior(about St. Louis's size or maybe a little bigger:laugh:). So the heavier sticks aren't for me and slapshots aren't a focus.

ATLhockey437

Jun 6, 2009
Bauer Vapor X40 or 4.0 I can't remember. See if you could find a one80. They're a year old in the product line but feel just as light as One 100's.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Thanks to everyone who has helped. The semipro sticks are something I'll really have to look into. I'm too small for major junior(about St. Louis's size or maybe a little bigger:laugh:). So the heavier sticks aren't for me and slapshots aren't a focus.

it would help if you gave a price range(and specify CAN$ or US$, big difference).

i find Sherwood's current nexon line to be a great bang for the buck.

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Price really isn't an issue.

Of course since it's casual I'd prefer not to spend too much since it's probable it breaks eventually. Realistically I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible since I'd expect it to break but anything under $1000 would be fine.

Though I don't expect to spend nearly that much unless I'm playing in a professional league(which I probably won't be).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Price really isn't an issue.

Of course since it's casual I'd prefer not to spend too much since it's probable it breaks eventually. Realistically I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible since I'd expect it to break but anything under $1000 would be fine.

Though I don't expect to spend nearly that much unless I'm playing in a professional league(which I probably won't be).
Was that a typo, and you actually meant under $100? There are no sticks that cost even remotely close to $1000 (unless you're talking about having a company make a custom curve for you and including the mold fees, but that's incredibly rare). Absolute top of the line sticks are generally around $250, mid range sticks are generally around $100, and low end sticks are generally around $50.

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Was that a typo, and you actually meant under $100? There are no sticks that cost even remotely close to $1000 (unless you're talking about having a company make a custom curve for you and including the mold fees, but that's incredibly rare). Absolute top of the line sticks are generally around $250, mid range sticks are generally around $100, and low end sticks are generally around $50.

Nope I have just never bought my own sticks. Either bought them from a friend/borrowed or gotten them as gifts.

I've been playing casually for about eight years and am sixteen. Hockey's pretty serious where I'm from though(Kelowna). Lots of stars played junior here or live here in the summer.

Last edited:

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
I am in love with the Vapor 7.0 in the Stamkos pattern with the Griptac. Great feel and definately a stickhandler's pattern, with a nice snap to it. But Looocy, eet ees espenseeve.

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I am in love with the Vapor 7.0 in the Stamkos pattern with the Griptac. Great feel and definately a stickhandler's pattern, with a nice snap to it. But Looocy, eet ees espenseeve.

Ballpark cost? I found one that was $210+tax but I don't know if it's the same one.

Listed under:Bauer Vapor X 7.0 GRIPTAC Sr. Composite Hockey Stick

Loyal2TheOil

Feb 29, 2008
It depends on your price point. The more you spend on your stick the lighter it will be, as well as more responsive. You get a more consistent kickpoint and consistent shot with higher price sticks due to better energy transfer compared to the lower end, heavier, primarly fiberglass based sticks. Keep in mind an expensive stick doesnt necessarily make you a better player, it may help you but only to an extent.

As for dangles, that's more what you practice, however a mid-toe curve will be better for pulling off those nasty toe-drags but you sacrifice backhand. As for medium to long reach, I just want to say if youre a guy who likes to dangle a lot then a shorter stick will give you more puck control. By shorter stick I mean cutting it down, most sticks are going to be relatively the same height off the shelf. Finally, for good wrist shots and snap shots you want a stick with a low kickpoint.

With all that being said I would recommend 6K/8K/9K/11K from rbk in the p38 (datsyuk) pattern. From bauer use the vapor line (supreme is midkick) so either the X 4.0, X 7.0 or apX in the kane or backstrom curves. From easton you would probably want the stealth line so either 65s, s14, s17, s19, RS in the sakic/hall pattern or a heatley or iginla. I'm not as familar with the CCM sticks, but I know the you would probably be looking for a Tavares pattern from them. Hope this helps.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Nope I have just never bought my own sticks. Either bought them from a friend/borrowed or gotten them as gifts.

I've been playing casually for about eight years and am sixteen. Hockey's pretty serious where I'm from though(Kelowna). Lots of stars played junior here or live here in the summer.

sounds like even though cost isn't an issue, you still want a decent bang for the buck, correct?

if that's the case, i wholeheartedly recommend the sherwood nexon n12, which is their new pro level stick. great stick for the money. about as light as any of the other top line sticks out there but much cheaper. i believe they are the same price canadian as they are for the US market...which makes them that much of a better deal for the canadian market...still an excellent value in the US though at $189 compared to $230+(US) for other brands' top line sticks.

if it's true that the vapor x7.0 is pretty much an updated x60, then that is also a very good suggestion. shoots rockets, particularly for wristers/snappers and is quite light. wasn't too fond of the feel though on my x60...not sure if the blade is any different on the x7.0. found it tricky receiving passes as the blade was so lively on my x60.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
sounds like even though cost isn't an issue, you still want a decent bang for the buck, correct?

if that's the case, i wholeheartedly recommend the sherwood nexon n12, which is their new pro level stick. great stick for the money. about as light as any of the other top line sticks out there but much cheaper. i believe they are the same price canadian as they are for the US market...which makes them that much of a better deal for the canadian market...still an excellent value in the US though at $189 compared to $230+(US) for other brands' top line sticks.

if it's true that the vapor x7.0 is pretty much an updated x60, then that is also a very good suggestion. shoots rockets, particularly for wristers/snappers and is quite light. wasn't too fond of the feel though on my x60...not sure if the blade is any different on the x7.0. found it tricky receiving passes as the blade was so lively on my x60.

The 7.0 is actually a down spec'd X:60. The 60 featured Bauer's best carbon weave, the TeXtreme, while if you look at the 7.0, the carbon weave is much smaller and presumably of lower quality. Same blade core though, but you might or might not notice a different puck feel between the two due to the weave.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
It depends on your price point. The more you spend on your stick the lighter it will be, as well as more responsive. You get a more consistent kickpoint and consistent shot with higher price sticks due to better energy transfer compared to the lower end, heavier, primarly fiberglass based sticks. Keep in mind an expensive stick doesnt necessarily make you a better player, it may help you but only to an extent.

As for dangles, that's more what you practice, however a mid-toe curve will be better for pulling off those nasty toe-drags but you sacrifice backhand. As for medium to long reach, I just want to say if youre a guy who likes to dangle a lot then a shorter stick will give you more puck control. By shorter stick I mean cutting it down, most sticks are going to be relatively the same height off the shelf. Finally, for good wrist shots and snap shots you want a stick with a low kickpoint.

With all that being said I would recommend 6K/8K/9K/11K from rbk in the p38 (datsyuk) pattern. From bauer use the vapor line (supreme is midkick) so either the X 4.0, X 7.0 or apX in the kane or backstrom curves. From easton you would probably want the stealth line so either 65s, s14, s17, s19, RS in the sakic/hall pattern or a heatley or iginla. I'm not as familar with the CCM sticks, but I know the you would probably be looking for a Tavares pattern from them. Hope this helps.

looking at a low end stick you wont need to worry about the flex point, cause unless your buying top of the line sticks your not going to have a decent one. as for a good snap shot, that all practice as well, as i find the low kick and the mid kick sticks preform about the same

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012

I think the APX is closer to the X60, with a TotalOne-ish blade.

If you're looking to come in under A THOUSAND(!!!!???) then just get an APX or a TotalOne or something. Honestly, I would recommend paying a visit to a hockey store and just seeing what's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad