STH Town Hall Meeting

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
A good GM never has that mentality. He can buy rentals, but he should never put the future at risk. That's how you lose a job.

If Hextall is smart and continues to draft well and make smart acquisitions, he'll have a VERY long and successful GM career.

How so? At some point you have to go for it and that means trading away picks/prospects for players who can put you over the top to win the cup for a few years. I don't think you should burn through all your assets but there is a time to go all in.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Why do you have to "go for it?"

He can build a good team, any rentals shouldn't cost us end prospects.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We aren't getting Trouba without a "no ****ing way I m including him"
in the offer

I always think back to the Seguin Trade when people post these types of comments. Not saying it's not true and not undervaluing what Boston got in LE but everyone was losing their cool when he was on the block. He wasn't traded for a "no ****ing way I'm including him" in an offer.

I would honestly want to know what his fair value is to GM's and if his name is even out there.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Is Trouba an RFA or UFA?

Ok. I just looked, he's an RFA. Winnipeg doesn't have to do anything. Why are people calling for a trade? He'll get qualified, they can arbiter it out, they'll end up with a # and they'll do that year by year until they can't anymore.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's 22, so he's an RFA.

Imagine what would we want for Provorov in 2019 if he averages 22+ minutes a game and 25+ points a season over his first three years.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Why do you have to "go for it?"

He can build a good team, any rentals shouldn't cost us end prospects.

I think it boils down to the salary cap and aging of your players. At some point the kid you just drafted isn't going to show up until years later when G, V and etc. are well past their primes. Draft smart, build a solid core and when you feel you're a contender instead of a pretender, you go for it.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I agree there is getting the player to put you over the hump, but Hextall, and this is a guess, will never sell the farm for 1 shot. He's trying to build a team for a long time of competitiveness.

If the price is right to acquire a big time player, I believe he'll measure the risk/reward.

PAZUZU

Jan 25, 2012
Philly 'burbs
This was the 1st one I've missed since I became a STH. I'm already down there 3 times this week, a 4th was just too much right now. Had to figure Tilger was gonna get whooped on with the price increases.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I wonder how long Hextall has planned out until we start using the "win now, all eggs in the basket mentality" instead of "Patience". I'd have to figure it would be in 2-3 years as he mentioned the plan going forward.

Once we look like we're a player or two away from winning it all

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I agree. They'd probably want Provorov for him.

Ive said for awhile now, We would get Trouba to play with Provorov. They would be the new Suter-Weber in as little as 2 years. With Sanheim being a Manitoba boy, Sanheim plus may get it done, but you are bang on that the asking price would be Provy.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Why the hell would we need Trouba? I swear some people just love talking about the most illogical trades.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Gotta like this :

Hexy said right now we are lacking in size and are looking for a big skilled LW and center and also big skilled defenseman who shoots right.

Let the speculation begin...

Why the hell would we need Trouba? I swear some people just love talking about the most illogical trades.

Well maybe it's illogical to you but when our GM specifically states he wants a big skilled defenseman who shoots right I think Trouba fits into that characterization.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Young, Big, Physical, Fast, top end Right handed D man, very illogical.

Trading from a position of strength makes all the sense. Only reason he could MAYBE be available is Jets luxury at Right D.

That being said, it isn't happening ( short of Provorov + ) so not worth discussing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We're talking about Trouba because everyone has blue balls that the Flyers didn't make a trade within 6 weeks of the trade deadline

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We're talking about Trouba because everyone has blue balls that the Flyers didn't make a trade within 6 weeks of the trade deadline

Also, the speculation about them considering trading him? Than our GM states he wants a big skilled defenseman. Not saying it's going to happen but there is actually something to discuss.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Young, Big, Physical, Fast, top end Right handed D man, very illogical.

Trading from a position of strength makes all the sense. Only reason he could MAYBE be available is Jets luxury at Right D.

That being said, it isn't happening ( short of Provorov + ) so not worth discussing.

You realize Trouba is due for a big pay raise right and the Flyers will have to give up some valuable assets? Just because he's good doesn't mean it makes sense.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Just a couple points from he Town Hall Meeting off of some posts in his Thread:

Hextall to another Group also mentioned much of what he did in the other Group... and he did say the Flyers need to get better at LW, Center, RH D-men and size up front... He Told us the same story about Ghost but added that he didn't say beforehand but knew in his heart of hearts that Ghost would be on the Team by Christmas even ifStreit wasn't hurt -- of course things would have to be worked out to do so. -- He stresses patience and says that the Players would dictate when they come up... not him.

Chris Pryor gave much info... some of which was that in drafting they go by the bes player available unless the two positions available are close, then they would go for the need... He said that loading up on D Prospects can never be over done because you never know when Ron will say that to get a player we want in a deal we must include a couple D-men in the System, so we need excess... plus of course not all D-men make it as hoped.

PEB and the Energy line was praised by just about every speaker... Hak called that line glue and keeps the puck in the O zone so much when needed, and sent out to get the Team on the right track when they ge off track... Hexy and Pryor also went out of their way to praise PEB... I believe it was the Gm that said he wished all his players were like him, and that line... bu that may have been Hak, although I think it was Hexy.

Upbeat Meeting all around with little confrontation and negatives... much of how we are staying the course and on course, although we wish we in a better position today for the PlayOffs.

... Outdoor Game was was closed mouth on confirmations but there will be one sometime next Season in PA... and probably also the next Season... but nothing to report. What we all knew already.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just a couple points from he Town Hall Meeting off of some posts in his Thread:

Hextall to another Group also mentioned much of what he did in the other Group... and he did say the Flyers need to get better at LW, Center, RH D-men and size up front... He Told us the same story about Ghost but added that he didn't say beforehand but knew in his heart of hearts that Ghost would be on the Team by Christmas even ifStreit wasn't hurt -- of course things would have to be worked out to do so. -- He stresses patience and says that the Players would dictate when they come up... not him.

Chris Pryor gave much info... some of which was that in drafting they go by the bes player available unless the two positions available are close, then they would go for the need... He said that loading up on D Prospects can never be over done because you never know when Ron will say that to get a player we want in a deal we must include a couple D-men in the System, so we need excess... plus of course not all D-men make it as hoped.

PEB and the Energy line was praised by just about every speaker... Hak called that line glue and keeps the puck in the O zone so much when needed, and sent out to get the Team on the right track when they ge off track... Hexy and Pryor also went out of their way to praise PEB... I believe it was the Gm that said he wished all his players were like him, and that line... bu that may have been Hak, although I think it was Hexy.

Upbeat Meeting all around with little confrontation and negatives... much of how we are staying the course and on course, although we wish we in a better position today for the PlayOffs.

... Outdoor Game was was closed mouth on confirmations but there will be one sometime next Season in PA... and probably also the next Season... but nothing to report. What we all knew already.

Maybe you can confirm while you're here...was the exchange with Tilger as visceral as I'm hearing?

Governator46

Mar 1, 2016
I think it boils down to the salary cap and aging of your players. At some point the kid you just drafted isn't going to show up until years later when G, V and etc. are well past their primes. Draft smart, build a solid core and when you feel you're a contender instead of a pretender, you go for it.

I really dislike this mentality - it's the same one that led the Phillies to fall flat on their faces after 2011.

Detroit is the model that we should look to emulate. Rarely do they make the big splash at the deadline and pay that heavy cost in futures. They put together a complete team in the summer and look to stock plenty of young depth in the AHL and overseas. As players hit their prime earning years only the true difference makers earn the big bucks. The replaceable guys are allowed to leave and then backfilled from prospect depth and with reasonable signings in FA. The Blackhawks have done this as well, though the past couple years they've paid big prices at the TDL to top things off - something that is probably going to hurt them in the long run.

I'm all for adding a depth piece here or there if the price is right, but paying big prices to add rentals for 20 games + playoffs seems like a poor way to run your franchise. The risk is rarely worth the reward.

Hexy is doing things the correct way now and I have faith that he'll continue to stay the course once the team turns the corner. I imagine he'll look to add at least 1 CHL overager or NCAA UFA to the Phantoms for next year as amateur seasons wrap up. If Vesey decides not to sign with Nashville, the Flyers will push hard for him, but so will every other team. Casey Nelson, a big right-shot junior D-man from Minnesota Mankato, is also a UFA after the season and attended the Flyers development camp last year. I think they'll push for him pretty hard too.

Other NCAA UFAs to keep tabs on:
Drake Caggiula, C/LW - NoDak - 29 GP, 17G, 19A
Andrew Poturalski, C - UNH - 34 GP, 22G, 28A
Troy Stecher, RD - NoDak - 33 GP, 6G, 16A
Mike Vecchione, RW - Union - 32 GP, 9G, 19A
Nick Saracino, C/LW - Providence - 34 GP, 10G, 20A
Brandon Tanev, LW - Providence - 34GP, 15G, 11A
Nick Lappin, RW - Brown - 29GP, 16G, 16A
Mike Borkowski, LW - Colgate - 34GP, 12G, 6A
Mark Jankowski, C/LW - Providence - 34GP, 15G, 23A (Flames pick, only UFA if he does not sign with CGY by Aug. 15)
Matt Grzelcyk - LD - BU - 22GP, 9G, 10A (Boston draft pick, only UFA if he does not sign with BOS by Aug. 15)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad