STH Town Hall Meeting

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I really dislike this mentality - it's the same one that led the Phillies to fall flat on their faces after 2011.

Detroit is the model that we should look to emulate. Rarely do they make the big splash at the deadline and pay that heavy cost in futures. They put together a complete team in the summer and look to stock plenty of young depth in the AHL and overseas. As players hit their prime earning years only the true difference makers earn the big bucks. The replaceable guys are allowed to leave and then backfilled from prospect depth and with reasonable signings in FA. The Blackhawks have done this as well, though the past couple years they've paid big prices at the TDL to top things off - something that is probably going to hurt them in the long run.

I'm all for adding a depth piece here or there if the price is right, but paying big prices to add rentals for 20 games + playoffs seems like a poor way to run your franchise. The risk is rarely worth the reward.

Hexy is doing things the correct way now and I have faith that he'll continue to stay the course once the team turns the corner. I imagine he'll look to add at least 1 CHL overager or NCAA UFA to the Phantoms for next year as amateur seasons wrap up. If Vesey decides not to sign with Nashville, the Flyers will push hard for him, but so will every other team. Casey Nelson, a big right-shot junior D-man from Minnesota Mankato, is also a UFA after the season and attended the Flyers development camp last year. I think they'll push for him pretty hard too.

Other NCAA UFAs to keep tabs on:
Drake Caggiula, C/LW - NoDak - 29 GP, 17G, 19A
Andrew Poturalski, C - UNH - 34 GP, 22G, 28A
Troy Stecher, RD - NoDak - 33 GP, 6G, 16A
Mike Vecchione, RW - Union - 32 GP, 9G, 19A
Nick Saracino, C/LW - Providence - 34 GP, 10G, 20A
Brandon Tanev, LW - Providence - 34GP, 15G, 11A
Nick Lappin, RW - Brown - 29GP, 16G, 16A
Mike Borkowski, LW - Colgate - 34GP, 12G, 6A
Mark Jankowski, C/LW - Providence - 34GP, 15G, 23A (Flames pick, only UFA if he does not sign with CGY by Aug. 15)
Matt Grzelcyk - LD - BU - 22GP, 9G, 10A (Boston draft pick, only UFA if he does not sign with BOS by Aug. 15)

Hoping we have the inside track on Caggiula. His numbers are up this year, but it's not like they sky rocketed because he's a senior and there was room for him, he just kept working his way up the lineup. Stecher may fall into that category.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hoping we have the inside track on Caggiula. His numbers are up this year, but it's not like they sky rocketed because he's a senior and there was room for him, he just kept working his way up the lineup. Stecher may fall into that category.

I hope we have the inside track on Stecher too!

He always impresses me when I have watched ND in the last few years. (though tbh that is only maybe ~3 times!)

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Maybe you can confirm while you're here...was the exchange with Tilger as visceral as I'm hearing?

No, not at all in our Group... Homer did most of the talking and Tilger kept the answers to one word ones on the Outdoor Game(s) leaving us with basically what we read in the Reports... He seemed to want Paul to take the reins when possible and didn't even make sure he mic was in front of him... This possibly was due to a confrontation in a prior Group session; IDK.

The Outdoor Game(s) responses were humorous and apparently done to be so -- tight lips, you understand -- and in all topics where he was required to address a complaint, Tilger took the mic and addressed with an answer or an "I will look into it".

There were a couple serious upset questions... one about the cigar bar -- when one of his remarks led a lady to believe that smoking there would be eliminated, when he actually meant that new ventilation would be in place -- He got one lady who was upset about cold drafty seats -- my guess, due to smaller crowds for some Games?? -- And another lady asked fir more stand up eating spots in he Mezzanine... The ladies were the ones with complaints in my Group.

Tilger was not personally attacked or questioned... keep in mind hat I personally had my Seat Cost lowered by quite a lot and my Group may have consisted of similar lowered Accounts... When Luukko was in charged he was attacked greatly and often... and I was one of he attackers when he upped my seat cost almost 30% in the prior Pricing Change... Luukko was not liked in these meetings, IMO... Tilger I find to be in better standing... at least in my Group he was... and was also last year. I can't speak for other Groups... and maybe some in my Group took the three or so minor complaints to be worse than I did... My guess though is he may have gotten roasted by another Group with people where their Accounts were hiked greatly.

HTH

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Write up on Caggiula and Stecher
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...ospect-report-stecher-caggiula-ausmus-poolman
"I already discussed in-depth North Dakota's two first round NHL Draft picks Brock Boeser(Vancouver Canucks) and Nick Schmaltz(Chicago Blackhawks). But with ten other NHL Draft picks on the roster and a few top free agent targets, there was a lot to watch an evaluate.

It's pretty easy to figure out that Boeser and Schmaltz are great prospects with a bright future ahead of themselves. The more difficult and interesting question is with the third player on North Dakota's dominating top line: Drake Caggiula(Free Agent). Caggiula is a tremendous college hockey player, but far from a sure bet at the pro level. He is a smaller player, but gets by with hustle and grit. How will that translate to the pros? His upside is probably as a fringe AHL/NHL player. He'll have to prove himself in the minor leagues before he gets a serious look at the NHL level, but might be worth an NHL free agent contract when this season is over....

North Dakota's blue lline in tremendous; arguably the best in all of college hockey. Ironically, the best pro prospect of the group might be the only player in their top six that isn't drafted. I wrote a long piece last year on what a great free agent target Troy Stecher would make, and ranked him highly on our Top 100 NHL Prospects list. He ended up returning to North Dakota, and what I wrote last year still stands. His skating and ability to jump into the play is just exceptional. Two or three times a night, you will see him make a play that no other defenseman in college hockey is capable of making. His defense is good, not great, but you'd gladly take that trade-off on the defensive end for what he can do going the other way."

xxjimmypxx

Dec 9, 2009
New Jersey
Tilger was not personally attacked or questioned... keep in mind hat I personally had my Seat Cost lowered by quite a lot and my Group may have consisted of similar lowered Accounts... When Luukko was in charged he was attacked greatly and often... and I was one of he attackers when he upped my seat cost almost 30% in the prior Pricing Change... Luukko was not liked in these meetings, IMO... Tilger I find to be in better standing... at least in my Group he was... and was also last year. I can't speak for other Groups... and maybe some in my Group took the three or so minor complaints to be worse than I did... My guess though is he may have gotten roasted by another Group with people where their Accounts were hiked greatly.

HTH

That year was ugly, so much anger at every station.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Nobody asked him about the playing of Manning and the favoritism of his famous "Hak Line".

Other than that, it was a pretty great recap. I'm happy with what we have in Hextall as well as Hak.

He did talk about the Hak line in other recaps. Hextall praised them too especially Bellemare. Hak said he depends on that line to get the team back on track after any bad shifts or whatever.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think Bellemare is the bell of the ball on that line, no pun intended.

White will move on and I think VDV is a waiver player as soon as they find a suitable replacement. But they all seem to gush about Belle.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I'd love to see Bellemare get a chance on a different line sometime but then the 4th line would be even worse.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Nobody asked him about the playing of Manning and the favoritism of his famous "Hak Line".

Other than that, it was a pretty great recap. I'm happy with what we have in Hextall as well as Hak.

In our Group Hak went off in great praise of that line... he couldn't have said more for them and how he relied on them, and when... he did say that PEB has bad shifts but he can talk to him about it and PEB steps it up.

Hak said that he puts them out there when the Team lapses like in Third Period this past Monday... and when he wants to ramp up the Team... and when he wants to keep puck in O Zone -- just as Jimmy Watson said about Shero and his Energy Line during his Induction -- He did not say anything about favoritism, of course, but did not hesitate in going off on his reliance and respect for the.

Hak, Hexy and Pryor all made a point of singling out PEB for his play and work ethics and hockey smarts... as well as their obtaining the gem at such a low cost undrafted from Europe... some of it hat was on their own without a direct question on him.

Please keep in mind that there were five independent Groups and what was said in one may not have been said in all... or even in any other Group... But I did see similarity from what was said in other Groups -- this is the case every year -- and I believe that what is said in one Group sparks what they say in other Groups gouing forward, but might be overlooked in Group(s) they me with earlier.

BTW: I do not recall Manning being discussed by any speaker at this year's Meeting.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
That year was ugly, so much anger at every station.

And well deserved I might add.

I had Luukko on the ropes along with other attendees... and then some aHole in the Group purposely changed the topic with some stupid question...at which time Luukko quickly shifted gears... Tilger was not in favor of that previous Pricing move and his body language at the Meeting and his words to me in the Atrium weeks before said it all... Luukko was so misguided in that and so many other Fan oriented things... I was never so glad to see someone in the Organization leave since Jay Snider left.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I find it odd that occasionally I see people giving credit to Luuko for the Panthers turn around.

I think the constant Top 5 picks have helped them.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I find it odd that occasionally I see people giving credit to Luuko for the Panthers turn around.

Unless his role has changed drastically there I don't see how he could have changed their Team in that manner... He was a strictly off the ice for the most part executive who ****s with the fans in a misguided fashion, thinking he is actually helping us... I find his suddenly leaving most odd... and seriously doubt it was an unilateral move on his part... my guess is that he was shown the open door and was allowed to save face.

This is of course all an outsider's opinion on my part... I will never forgive him for how he screwed over so many loyal and long time STHs... He actually believed that we were making a fortune on resales and that we could make even more... he had no clue that the Golden Goose had been slayed many years ago. He believed that we were all getting the ridiculous asking price that some were seeking... when in all reality nobody got close to it.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Unless his role has changed drastically there I don't see how he could have changed their Team in that manner... He was a strictly off the ice for the most part executive who ****s with the fans in a misguided fashion, thinking he is actually helping us... I find his suddenly leaving most odd... and seriously doubt it was an unilateral move on his part... my guess is that he was shown the open door and was allowed to save face.

This is of course all an outsider's opinion on my part... I will never forgive him for how he screwed over so many loyal and long time STHs... He actually believed that we were making a fortune on resales and that we could make even more... he had no clue that the Golden Goose had been slayed many years ago. He believed that we were all getting the ridiculous asking price that some were seeking... when in all reality nobody got close to it.

No, you are right. I'm trying to remember why somebody was crediting him with the Florida Panthers success. It's possible I'm remembering it wrong, it could be some sort of "attendance" success they were giving him, because like you said, he has nothing to do with the actual team.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
No, you are right. I'm trying to remember why somebody was crediting him with the Florida Panthers success. It's possible I'm remembering it wrong, it could be some sort of "attendance" success they were giving him, because like you said, he has nothing to do with the actual team.

I believe their STH membership and renewals were on the rise... and IIRC they are adding seats... but I'd think that their greatly improved play and success on he ice had more to do with it than Luukko's hiring and work did... Just wait until he screws the STHs with restructuring that skyrockets their Seasonal cost... they'll learn about him soon enough. :shakehead

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

To be fair, if Luukko added any semblance of structure to the Panthers FO, it's an improvement. I work in the industry, and they're a team who is always, ALWAYS posting job openings.

Why post so many job openings? Because they fire so many people. Used to be a horribly run environment. I've had previous bosses tell me never ever apply/interview/accept a job in the Panthers FO (this was from a AAA baseball team, so people in the industry know)

Honestly the team closest to that "model" now from what I hear is the 76ers. Absurd sales expectations and turnover.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Hopefully this Poulin fellow will post the rest of the STH meeting dialogue soon. Very intrigued to read about it.

Edit: Missed Appleyard's link. Doh.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No, not at all in our Group... Homer did most of the talking and Tilger kept the answers to one word ones on the Outdoor Game(s) leaving us with basically what we read in the Reports... He seemed to want Paul to take the reins when possible and didn't even make sure he mic was in front of him... This possibly was due to a confrontation in a prior Group session; IDK.

The Outdoor Game(s) responses were humorous and apparently done to be so -- tight lips, you understand -- and in all topics where he was required to address a complaint, Tilger took the mic and addressed with an answer or an "I will look into it".

There were a couple serious upset questions... one about the cigar bar -- when one of his remarks led a lady to believe that smoking there would be eliminated, when he actually meant that new ventilation would be in place -- He got one lady who was upset about cold drafty seats -- my guess, due to smaller crowds for some Games?? -- And another lady asked fir more stand up eating spots in he Mezzanine... The ladies were the ones with complaints in my Group.

HTH

I'm assuming he probably got tired of answering the questions by the time other groups got to him. That probably wasn't a day he was looking forward to :laugh:

And well deserved I might add.

I had Luukko on the ropes along with other attendees... and then some aHole in the Group purposely changed the topic with some stupid question...at which time Luukko quickly shifted gears... Tilger was not in favor of that previous Pricing move and his body language at the Meeting and his words to me in the Atrium weeks before said it all... Luukko was so misguided in that and so many other Fan oriented things... I was never so glad to see someone in the Organization leave since Jay Snider left.

Luukko always struck me as someone who thought he was bigger than he was. A little person who causes big problems. I think my favorite part of his tenure was all those press conference where he was at the table with a nameplate and never got asked a question. I'm guessing he left because he figured out he wasn't the heir apparent when Ed Snider dies. Not sure who is though.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
I'm assuming he probably got tired of answering the questions by the time other groups got to him. That probably wasn't a day he was looking forward to :laugh:

Luukko always struck me as someone who thought he was bigger than he was. A little person who causes big problems. I think my favorite part of his tenure was all those press conference where he was at the table with a nameplate and never got asked a question. I'm guessing he left because he figured out he wasn't the heir apparent when Ed Snider dies. Not sure who is though.

Jay Snider and Russ Farwell??? :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad