STH Renewal 2020 Season

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Unless the building is packed with health care workers, I doubt people will even start getting their second shots until playoff time.

I believe it all comes down to the higher amount of shots being blocked in the game today!

I think the Jets were averaging about 38-40 shots against per game. Shots for were lower at around 32-35 per game.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
First, that is not confirmed. It's unknown at this point. However, even if it's true, if everyone in the building has been vaccinated why would that matter any more or less than after the majority have been vaccinated?

Yes, not confirmed meaning you have to treat even people who are vaccinated as if they can carry the virus and be a danger to anyone without immunity until otherwise.

We don't want a bunch of people carrying virus around when the population is largely still at risk, that's why it matters.

Also players and coaches, team staff, arena staff will likely be among the last people to be vaccinated.

Based on where we are at I put the chances of attending a Jets game in Winnipeg at about 0.000000001% this season.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
No fans here but I think Zona just joined 10 other teams in fans. Maybe the pressure will get to Canada and they start to allow 4-5 thousand come March

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
And this is why this team will relocate in about 5-10 years. Winnipeg simply has given up paying high dollars for sports. Sad but, we just don't have enough wealthy and ready to spend middle class people in this city. And with less demand means cheap tickets which means no point in holding onto ones own set of season tickets. TNSE will not tolerate this, and sadly we'll be on our way out sooner than later.

Maybe Chipman could have treated all the fans better, expected more (just read the Chargers release on why they fired their coach) also why were we the second highest ticket price. I think we are down to 4 now. He has received so much in government money and has made about 500 million if you includes value of franchise all in 9 years

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Nothing will set off the human rights people faster than barring people from events because they aren't vaccinated. Check your privilege, vaxxers. Unvaccinated Lives Matter. #uvlm :sarcasm:

I know you’re being facetious, but Ontario for example requires vaccinations to attend public schools. Pretty sure some independent schools in Manitoba require vaccination. I don’t think vaccination requirement to attend large events would be out of the realm of possibility.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
So does that mean you don't think the CFL will play?

That's like comparing apples and oranges. One is indoor and the other is outdoor

No chance there will be indoor games unless the cases/hospitalizations are incredibly close to 0, which is unlikely. Even if they are, I still doubt they would allow that many if at all until a sizeable amount of people have a vaccine. Canada isn't America.

The only way I see any way around that is if they have a "if you show proof of vaccination, you can go" policy, but I can see the backlash on that being so much that I doubt it goes anywhere

As for outdoor games. Provided the number of cases is small, I can see them starting with a handful of fans and increasing it as more of the population gets vaccinated and if they cases stay low over time. At one point, over 99% of known transmission was indoor. There is a reason why the restrictions are different. I would be fine going to a Bomber game right now provided I don't sit too close to strangers whereas there is no chance I would go to a Jets game.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
So does that mean you don't think the CFL will play?

CFL will stand a better shot of having fans in the stands given that the venues are, or can be made to be outside. Situation overall will probably be better too by the summer with several months of vaccine rollouts done by then.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That's like comparing apples and oranges. One is indoor and the other is outdoor

No chance there will be indoor games unless the cases/hospitalizations are incredibly close to 0, which is unlikely. Even if they are, I still doubt they would allow that many if at all until a sizeable amount of people have a vaccine. Canada isn't America.

The only way I see any way around that is if they have a "if you show proof of vaccination, you can go" policy, but I can see the backlash on that being so much that I doubt it goes anywhere

As for outdoor games. Provided the number of cases is small, I can see them starting with a handful of fans and increasing it as more of the population gets vaccinated and if they cases stay low over time. At one point, over 99% of known transmission was indoor. There is a reason why the restrictions are different. I would be fine going to a Bomber game right now provided I don't sit too close to strangers whereas there is no chance I would go to a Jets game.

Vancouver could have a problem, unless they find an alternate venue. Even with the roof open, it's still more indoor than outdoor. On the plus side, there is so little interest there that social distancing won't ever be an issue. :laugh:

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Maybe Chipman could have treated all the fans better, expected more (just read the Chargers release on why they fired their coach) also why were we the second highest ticket price. I think we are down to 4 now. He has received so much in government money and has made about 500 million if you includes value of franchise all in 9 years

Are you his accountant???

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Are you his accountant???

Seat prices were available online
Forbes had evaluations
2 expansion fees

If you don’t believe it’s a money issue than I don’t know what to think. The only other possibility for not accepting more from management is if Chipman is a de facto GM. I don’t think he is but who knows

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Fair enough you wouldn’t go where I would go that’s all good

my question is why did the Blues have fans watching at the rink and the Jets can’t have fans. How about the Pistons? They did also

Maybe it starts with 500 but I think we will. Season goes until mid May. So we will see.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Asset value for something like a hockey team with very low elasticity is overrated. Mark will only realize that lift if and when he sells. Now even if he sells the NHL controls that process and usually takes their pound of flesh. It’s far from a given he cashes in on that in his lifetime if things go the way he plans.

If they have to feed it $50-$70 million of actual money over the Covid era that sets them back at least 5 years. Seems like a highly stressful business investment to own and manage.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

my question is why did the Blues have fans watching at the rink and the Jets can’t have fans. How about the Pistons? They did also

Maybe it starts with 500 but I think we will. Season goes until mid May. So we will see.

The Blues don’t play in Manitoba. From the beginning Manitoba has implemented stricter measures, earlier, than virtually every other jurisdiction in North America. It seems in general the USA has taken a far more lax approach than anywhere in Canada.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The Blues don’t play in Manitoba. From the beginning Manitoba has implemented stricter measures, earlier, than virtually every other jurisdiction in North America. It seems in general the USA has taken a far more lax approach than anywhere in Canada.

I think he meant the Winnipeg Blues (and the rest of the MJHL). Mind you the covid situation was much different on Oct. 1 than it is now. If we could magically go back to those levels then I'm sure the Jets could get a couple thousand people into their games.

With the current TP rate still hovering around 10% I would be pretty surprised if we saw fans in the stands at all for the regular season. Maybe a tiny glimmer of hope for the playoffs? By then it should be warmer and I'd expect the situation to improve significantly.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Unlikely. Vaccinated doesn’t mean people aren’t carrying virus. Until there’s a significant majority vaccinated the restrictions won’t really ease up.
That's a misleading statement. They have yet to prove that vaccinated people can't spread it, only because it wasn't part of the vaccine study, nor would it have been feasible. People in the vaccine trials were only tested if they showed symptoms. End of story.

Reactions: robertocarlos

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014

Sorry meant to say Winnipeg Blues who play at the rink off McGillivray

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

Why did the USA have 4200 deaths due to COVID yesterday and Canada had 200? The answer is the same. One country takes this seriously and the other one doesn't.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Does your bank put money into your bank account every time your house increases in value? Franchise value doesn't help Chipman unless and until he sells, which would likely be the end of NHL hockey in Winnipeg.

Ticket prices are higher because the arena is the smallest in the NHL. I thought that was well-understood.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Why did the USA have 4200 deaths due to COVID yesterday and Canada had 200? The answer is the same. One country takes this seriously and the other one doesn't.

One does have to take into account the order of magnitude difference in population. They're also kicking our ass in vaccinations. Shit, Canadians are heading down there to get their shots.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Ticket prices are higher because the arena is the smallest in the NHL. I thought that was well-understood.

If that was the case, wouldn't teams with lower average attendance be charging even more than we do? Of course, we know how that would turn out. True North charges more because they can. At least, that used to be the case. I'm not so sure the demand at those prices will be there for much longer.

Reactions: wpgfishfan

Toomuts

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Does your bank put money into your bank account every time your house increases in value? Franchise value doesn't help Chipman unless and until he sells, which would likely be the end of NHL hockey in Winnipeg.

No but they use the assessed value of the team (by the bank they lend from not Forbes..) and the building they own to leverage other assets such as TNS for ($400M).

With Thomson as an investor in TN the plan is much bigger than just the NHL team..

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
One does have to take into account the order of magnitude difference in population. They're also kicking our ass in vaccinations. Shit, Canadians are heading down there to get their shots.

Per capita deaths 1135 deaths/million versus 440. At that rate would be 26,323 extra deaths of Canadians and 1147 extra deaths of Manitobans.

I can wait another season to watch a Jets game in person. If the USA per capita was the same as Canada's, then 230,667 more Americans would be alive right now.

Them beating us in Vaccinations doesn't bring back those people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad