Value of: Steven Stamkos

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
$8.5M a year for 8 years. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still a useful player, but he’s nowhere near that caliber anymore and hasn’t been for some time.

Sadly he’s underrated by most of his own fanbase. I don’t know why so many Lightning fans here are so insistent on trying to move him (in one notable case for a third-pairing defenseman.)
Is it still 8yrs or was it 8 when he signed? And yeah I can see that 8.5 being rough in maybe 2 or 3 years kinda like the Toews effect. There was someone whos contract was looking rough and then had a big bounce back year recently. Kopitar? Idk but Stamkos I think for the term will be at least a 6 to 7mil guy so only like 1.5mil a year overpaid maybe when the years start winding down.

And which was the 3rd pairing? I remember a trade proposal pretty recently being god awful for him and I was like no forget that we will trade you Ryan Murray for him and he was like 5 times the player that was the deal. I cant for the life of me remember who it was... it was like the canes/rangers/hawks 6th D... I want ti say it was someone on the Hawks because the name keeps coming into my head and I forget it but for spme reason I picture a guy in a hawks jersy... man this is going to kill me when you say yhe name Ill instantly be like YEAHHHH HIM!!!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Sadly he’s underrated by most of his own fanbase. I don’t know why so many Lightning fans here are so insistent on trying to move him (in one notable case for a third-pairing defenseman.)
Calling TVR a third-pairing defenseman is like calling Messier a second-line center.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Eh - they're pretty similar to me. Tavares underwhelms me a lot when watching him, and he can really disappear for long stretches.

Yeah, but he scores in dirty areas. Stamkos really doesn't anymore. He needs somebody to set him up, whereas Tavares still has multiple ways to score.

Reactions: olli

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Yeah, but he scores in dirty areas. Stamkos really doesn't anymore. He needs somebody to set him up, whereas Tavares still has multiple ways to score.
Hey now, he almost got a dirty one tonight

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hey now, he almost got a dirty one tonight

When it stands out that he scores a dirty goal, it generally means he doesn't get a whole lot of those anymore. I think Tavares still get close to 40, whereas I think those days are over for Stamkos. I hope I'm wrong about that, because we'll be a bulldozer if we have a 40 goal C again.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think a very good RHD with a lower cap hit? All that really comes to mind. Somebody who can replace Stralman if we have to let him walk. About a $6m D.

All the isles could offer would be Pulock but him alone wouldn’t be enough. Plus losing Pulock who is basically the isles #1 Defensman right now would hurt the team so much.

I don’t realistically think Tampa would
Move Stamkos but what about Tyler Johnson?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
All the isles could offer would be Pulock but him alone wouldn’t be enough. Plus losing Pulock who is basically the isles #1 Defensman right now would hurt the team so much.

I don’t realistically think Tampa would
Move Stamkos but what about Tyler Johnson?

Johnson would be pricey too if his current play continues. He's come into this season looking rejuvinated. His speed is back. I think the coaching staff loves him, and it would be hard to get TB to part with him. That said, it might well come to that after this season, depending on how much money we need. Which is why, even though it'll never happen, hypothetically our best move might be to move Stamkos for a cheaper, but equally effective player. I'm not sure if scouts are as behind on this as a lot of fans though. I think word is out that Stamkos is a lower tier 1C these days, and I think that's kind of generous.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
you cant ask value of a player here, everyone just says "he wont get traded" like that is what we were asking??? idiots

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Tavares is absolutely better than Stamkos.
in what regard exactly? Stamkos is a better skater, has a better shot and is way more dynamic offensively. Tavares only has the edge on passing and IQ.
And that has translated in the stats sheet. A better PPG rate + scores more goals.
Its Stamkos easily but Tavares is still a great talent to have no question.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
....these last two games Stamkos has done what he needs to do to find his game. I guess Nylander+1st would be an appropriate level of value, Stamkos is an 8.5 million dollar enigma

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
in what regard exactly? Stamkos is a better skater, has a better shot and is way more dynamic offensively. Tavares only has the edge on passing and IQ.
And that has translated in the stats sheet. A better PPG rate + scores more goals.
Its Stamkos easily but Tavares is still a great talent to have no question.

It's really not easily Stamkos. The difference in IQ is a big deal, and Stamkos's skills have diminished, particularly his skating. He's probably still a bit faster than Tavares, but not by much. About 2/3 of Stamkos's goals these days are one-timer goals, and it's kind of telegraphed. At ES, he's about as much of a threat as a good third line scorer. On the PP, he's still dangerous.

Every once in a while he lets go a howitzer after skating into the zone, but he doesn't get the shot off nearly so quickly anymore. None of this is to say he's not an effective scorer. But he no longer plays like an elite player. He plays like a decent player with an elite, or near-elite, shot. So it's not like I'm saying he's useless. I'd still want something very good coming in return for him.

But do I think he's as good as Tavares? Well, let me put it this way: if Toronto just paid 11m for a player not quite as good as Stamkos, you got ripped off like I can't even believe. Stamkos at 11m would be a terrible, terrible contract. One of the worst contracts in the league.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Come on now. The guy has been a ppg scorer for his whole career. We’re six games into the season. Please put down the torches and pitchforks

We're 5 years past the broken leg though.

It's not a pitch fork thing. I really like Stamkos. He's just not what he used to be, and hasn't been for a long time. Give him a winger like Kucherov playing the best hockey of his life and Stamkos will rack up pedestrian assists, along with the occasional good assist. But he's not a playmaker (he's still a 25-35 assist guy). He's a goal-scorer. But no longer an elite one.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Stamkos isn't going to Toronto, he was scared off by the pitch 2 years ago.

I'd say his list likely is small

Mar 26, 2010
Stamkos isn't going to Toronto, he was scared off by the pitch 2 years ago.

I'd say his list likely is small
That was 2 years ago. The dynamics have drastically changed! He would waive his NMC without batting an eyelash to come to Toronto now.

It won’t happen though, Toronto is in a heck of a Cap crunch already.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yep especially in Detroit, Once Yzerman becomes our new GM in a year or two.

Yzerman's the guy who made a token offer to Stamkos (8.5) and never upped it even as rumors were running wild that he was going to get offered 10 or even 11+ from another team. Insiders were calling it an insult. Literally. I really think Yzerman was expecting him to walk, and I doubt Yzerman would be overly interested in bringing him to Detroit. Anybody who watches Stamkos game in, game out, and does not have a sentimental connection to the guy, comes away with the exact same opinion. He's still a good player, but he's about TB's 4th or 5th best, and no longer elite.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Nylander for Stamkos (+ from Toronto)

I wouldn’t do it cuz of the age difference and injury history but...

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Stamkos - - Tavares - - Hyman
Johnsson - - Kadri - - - Kapanen

WOULD BE DISGUSTING

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yzerman's the guy who made a token offer to Stamkos (8.5) and never upped it even as rumors were running wild that he was going to get offered 10 or even 11+ from another team. Insiders were calling it an insult. Literally. I really think Yzerman was expecting him to walk, and I doubt Yzerman would be overly interested in bringing him to Detroit. Anybody who watches Stamkos game in, game out, and does not have a sentimental connection to the guy, comes away with the exact same opinion. He's still a good player, but he's about TB's 4th or 5th best, and no longer elite.

Yzerman was using the no state tax as leverage and he was smart to do so. How else to you think he got Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov at their current cap hits? Cause they decided to leave money on the table like the Leafs want Nylander, Marner, Matthews to do in a province that has high taxes?

Yzerman played his cards well. To put things in perspective, Stamkos has more take home clear pay at $8.5M in Florida vs Tavares at $11M in Ontario. You can disagree tax difference means nothing but that means you think accountants are better in Florida vs Ontario.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Nylander for Stamkos (+ from Toronto)

I wouldn’t do it cuz of the age difference and injury history but...

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Stamkos - - Tavares - - Hyman
Johnsson - - Kadri - - - Kapanen

WOULD BE DISGUSTING

Honestly, I think I'd do it without the +, although I think Toronot might be willing to throw in a +. Stamkos gets by a lot on name value these days.

Nylander - Point - Gourde
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov

That's pretty insane speed.

I do think we'd be a little worse on the PP, but that could correct itself once Kucherov settles into a trigger-man role again. If I'm not mistaken, he led the league in PP goals the year Stamkos was injured. Drouin helped that a lot, but Point might be even better in Drouin's QB role, if give the opportunity.

My only issue is I don't know that I'd be comfortable with Nylander being our 2nd highest paid player. Part of the reason for dealing Stamkos would be to save some $, so we'd need that contract to be decent. But he might be more willing to settle for something under 7 when considering the tax difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad