Value of: Steven Stamkos

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yzerman was using the no state tax as leverage and he was smart to do so. How else to you think he got Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov at their current cap hits? Cause they decided to leave money on the table like the Leafs want Nylander, Marner, Matthews to do in a province that has high taxes?

Yzerman played his cards well. To put things in perspective, Stamkos has more take home clear pay at $8.5M in Florida vs Tavares at $11M in Ontario. You can disagree tax difference means nothing but that means you think accountants are better in Florida vs Ontario.

Yeah, except, look at the timeline of Kucherov and Hedman's signings vs. Stamkos's. Hedman signed a full year in advance. Kucherov pretty much the same. Stamkos didn't get his offer until January. And Yzerman didn't even negotiate.

I think the tax difference is a big deal. But Yzerman sticking to his guns even while Stamkos met with other teams either shows an incredible amount of balls, or that he was willing to let Stamkos walk. I think it was a mixture of both.

But Yzerman knows what Stamkos is these days. Even the most loyal Stamkos fans don't call him an elite player now, or claim that he's the best player for TB. The decline is real.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
That was 2 years ago. The dynamics have drastically changed! He would waive his NMC without batting an eyelash to come to Toronto now.

It won’t happen though, Toronto is in a heck of a Cap crunch already.
Why would he waive is no trade clause to come make less money in a far worse climate? He clearly loves Tampa and the Florida lifestyle or else he wouldn’t have signed a contract untill he’s 34 with a Nmc.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, except, look at the timeline of Kucherov and Hedman's signings vs. Stamkos's. Hedman signed a full year in advance. Kucherov pretty much the same. Stamkos didn't get his offer until January. And Yzerman didn't even negotiate.

I think the tax difference is a big deal. But Yzerman sticking to his guns even while Stamkos met with other teams either shows an incredible amount of balls, or that he was willing to let Stamkos walk. I think it was a mixture of both.

But Yzerman knows what Stamkos is these days. Even the most loyal Stamkos fans don't call him an elite player now, or claim that he's the best player for TB. The decline is real.

Yzerman stuck to his guns cause he was smart enough to realize most other teams would of had to offer him $11M+ to get the same take home pay vs staying in Tampa. And this was salary cap of $71.4M with a very small increase for the next season. Stamkos really didn't want to leave that core and when you add the tax advantage, it fell into Yzerman's plan

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry and now Steve Stamkos? Hopefully he doesn't fall as hard as those guys, but that contract? Yikes. If the production comes back, then it's not an albatross...but at this point I think the value Tampa gets from trading him comes entirely from the cap-space received, not the roster players coming back. He might get a collection of pieces like Ryan O'Reilly did, but no blue-chippers will be coming back on top of the cap-savings.

Mar 26, 2010
Why would he waive is no trade clause to come make less money in a far worse climate? He clearly loves Tampa and the Florida lifestyle or else he wouldn’t have signed a contract untill he’s 34 with a Nmc.
Ummm, you do realize he is a Toronto boy, born and raised a Leaf fan right. His dad is also a giant Leaf fan. Also best friends with Tavares.

Toronto is an “A” list destination to play now.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Ummm, you do realize he is a Toronto boy, born and raised a Leaf fan right. His dad is also a giant Leaf fan. Also best friends with Tavares.

So why didn't he just take the bag of cash Toronto was shoving in his hands when he had the chance?

He wants to be in TB more than Toronto.

Mar 26, 2010
So why didn't he just take the bag of cash Toronto was shoving in his hands when he had the chance?

He wants to be in TB more than Toronto.
That was 2 years ago before Toronto tuned the corner. Very different dynamics now.

I am not suggesting that he is coming to Toronto though. It won’t happen. No Cap.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ

There are plenty of “Toronto boys” in the nhl. In fact there’s probably more nhl players who grew in the gta then any other area of a similar size. Just because Tavares went back home doesn’t mean every other high profile gta born nhler still wants to play for the leafs.

I’m not saying Toronto isn’t a nice place to play. But when your used to living in Florida and When you got a nmc to ensure you’re there until your mid 30s then you probably don’t want to suddenly leave. It’s not like he’d have a better shot at winning a cup with Toronto.

And please stop acting like you know him personally. “Best friends with Tavares” is going a bit too far.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't see him play often, but I must admit I wasn't too impressed in a recent game against MN. Seemed slow, and even his shot was less scary. Still, seems to be way too early to write him off...he just scored 86 points last year, which is elite production, and he is only 28. If he is going to be traded, the best value might be for a lesser, but still valuable, player or two, and some draft choices. TBL might not get cap relief right away, but would later on. He certainly has significant value.

Mar 26, 2010
I don’t know him at all. I never implied that whatsoever. You are grasping at straws.

It is a known fact that Tavares and Stamkos are very close. They grew up playing in the GTHL together here.

Oh, and like the dig you took against Toronto saying he would not have a better chance at winning. Well played. :laugh:

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I don’t know him at all. I never implied that whatsoever. You are grasping at straws.

It is a known fact that Tavares and Stamkos are very close. They grew up playing in the GTHL together here.

Oh, and like the dig you took against Toronto saying he would not have a better chance at winning. Well played. :laugh:
You have to know someone personally to know who their best friends are unless Stamkos or Tavares has said their best friends in an interview. Nothing wrong with assuming they’re good friends, though.

I wasn’t taking trying to take a shot at Toronto. Their forward group is just as stacked as Tampa’s. Point is Stamkos has as good a shot at winning a cup on Tampa as he would anywhere else.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He doesn't really do much as an "elite" player.. but he's also done nothing negatively enough to warrant a trade and has too much good will with the team - you just take him as is.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yzerman stuck to his guns cause he was smart enough to realize most other teams would of had to offer him $11M+ to get the same take home pay vs staying in Tampa. And this was salary cap of $71.4M with a very small increase for the next season. Stamkos really didn't want to leave that core and when you add the tax advantage, it fell into Yzerman's plan

It definitely didn't feel that way at the time. And the entire hockey world thought the offer was an insult.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How often are fans and the media right?

More often than they're wrong.

Just saying. Nobody who's viewed Stamkos with any regularity in the last couple of years is calling him an elite player anymore. So Yzerman, who saw him more than anybody, is unlikely to be all too gung ho on bringing him to Detroit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
More often than they're wrong.

Just saying. Nobody who's viewed Stamkos with any regularity in the last couple of years is calling him an elite player anymore. So Yzerman, who saw him more than anybody, is unlikely to be all too gung ho on bringing him to Detroit.

Well, I'm a bit sensitive cause many called me silly when I was talking about the tax difference and Yzerman using this leverage before he signed his current deal.

Also, I will quote the Leafs coach's comment to the Habs media (shutting them up) when he said... "if you don't want him, we will take him"

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Stamkos is a good player but the guy's to inconsistent for me. 7 games in and just 3 points isn't good for one of the better players in the league.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He's never been the same dominant player since his injuries and benefitted greatly from Kucherov last year. Still a top 20C but the days of him being considered an elite top 10C are long gone. Brayden Point might already be better than him.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
He's never been the same dominant player since his injuries and benefitted greatly from Kucherov last year. Still a top 20C but the days of him being considered an elite top 10C are long gone. Brayden Point might already be better than him.
Point has been better since last season

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
As fun as it is to think about, not sure I see the fit with the Leafs. For one, would rather just pay Nylander 7.5-8 and save a bit of cap going forward. Age makes a huge difference there, as well as play style. Leafs do not need more goal scorers. They need more playmakers. They also need players who can transition play into the offensive zone and Nylander is one of the best players in the league at it. He's also elite in the Neutral zone.

Stamkos doesn't bring much aside from his one timer when I watch him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->