Value of: Steven Stamkos

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I'm kind of surprised at the Stamkos bashing in this thread. He's a great player.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point has been better since last season

I think the jury's still out on whether or not Point can be a legit 1C for the long haul, but I wouldn't bet against him. He still has a bit to prove before we can really say he's higher on the depth chart than Stamkos, but... in the actual games, it feels like Point is the #1.

Reactions: Kusic and Mikey 48

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
Eh - they're pretty similar to me. Tavares underwhelms me a lot when watching him, and he can really disappear for long stretches.
They get similar numbers but they play different games. All in you have to go with Tavares, especially now. Stammer has had two major injuries and a major medical issue which is probably the reason he has lost some of his edge while Tavares has been healthy his whole career for the most part. But you're right, Tavares can go MIA for long stretches and I don't care what anyone says about his skating having improved, he's dead slow, though he's pretty nifty in front of the net and he's a bear on the puck.

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
He’s young but Point has “captain” written all over him. Kucherov is a great individual performer but I’m not sure I see leadership potential in him and Hedman isn’t really the vocal type. Stammer will keep the C for the next few years but at some point this will become Point’s team.
Rock solid analysis. Neither Kuch nor Heddy will wear the C, they don't have the personalities for it but if Pointer keeps improving at the rate he has been, it's inevitable. Just listen to him when he is interviewed. Intelligent, well spoken, fired up but not excitable. He's got his head on straight. Gonna be a tough call when the time comes though, cause everybody's right, Stammer isn't going anywhere.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Tampa can afford to trade him as their deep at C and Point is already a 1C and he's only getting better. Curious what Tampa fans would want for him and what other teams would be willing to give up.

took hometown discount to stay in tampa… even if it was possible to work around his ntc it would be political disaster to trade him

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Rock solid analysis. Neither Kuch nor Heddy will wear the C, they don't have the personalities for it but if Pointer keeps improving at the rate he has been, it's inevitable. Just listen to him when he is interviewed. Intelligent, well spoken, fired up but not excitable. He's got his head on straight. Gonna be a tough call when the time comes though, cause everybody's right, Stammer isn't going anywhere.

Agreed. Stamkos isn't going anywhere. It's as much a loyalty thing as anything else. But TB started becoming Brayden Point's team last year, inexplicable as that is, considering his age and all the star power. He's Jon Cooper's most trusted forward. It just somehow feels like he "leads." There are teams where you just watch them and you know who everybody's following. Point seems to control the game when he's on the ice. Again, he looks a lot like Steve Yzerman, in the second half of Yzerman's career, minus the faceoff dominance. Stylistically, they're very, very similar, and I don't doubt that extends to Point's leadership abilities.

If I'm not mistaken, he was captain in Moosejaw and also of the 2015 World Junior Canadian team. So people have been spotting his leadership abilities for a while.

Reactions: Palat

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'm kind of surprised at the Stamkos bashing in this thread. He's a great player.
He isn't really playing like that. Last 18 regular season games: 1 goal and 10 assists.

More than that, he's looking really slow right now. Maybe he'll get the engine going as the season progresses, but he hasn't been good so far. With the major knee injuries he's had, and the already obvious regress from those pre-first surgery days (when he was 50-60 goal guy), you have to wonder.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He isn't really playing like that. Last 18 regular season games: 1 goal and 10 assists.

More than that, he's looking really slow right now. Maybe he'll get the engine going as the season progresses, but he hasn't been good so far. With the major knee injuries he's had, and the already obvious regress from those pre-first surgery days (when he was 50-60 goal guy), you have to wonder.

His last couple of games have looked pretty good. Useful, for sure. All the "haters" are only saying he's no longer elite. He hasn't really been an elite player with any consistency whatsoever in five years. We can find pockets of 8 or 10 games where he looked elite, like the beginning of 2016/2017, before the knee injury, but, overall, what you see on the ice right now is what he's been for quite some time, although I think his speed is continuing to decline.

This is what prompted the rumors that he was "injured" in the 2015 playoffs. A whole bunch of media guys who hadn't watched him play since 2013 didn't realize the deterioration in his game.

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
Just to be clear, I don't think any of us believe Stammer is dogging it. I'm sure at 28 his physical decline is killing him mentally. He knows. You can see it in his face. That being said, Stammer will always give us everything he's got, whatever that is.

Remember though, Bobby Orr was done at 29, and really 27.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Nobody’s bashing him; we’ve just seen his decline over the last several years and are realistic about the sort of player he is now. He’s a great guy who has had some rotten luck with injuries and is no longer a dominant force on the ice.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
People who think stamkos is still great haven’t watched him for several years. Great guy, and won’t leave Tampa anytime soon, but not a great player anymore. Really want to see him captain this team to a cup.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Damn how did stammer go from overrated to underrated so fast

Do you frequent these boards often? Stamkos is usually in top center lists on this site all the time. I dont quite have him there at this moment. I think hes had a slow start. He could come back and be better. Its been said that his injury can take a while to get things back to normal if they ever do.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Do you frequent these boards often? Stamkos is usually in top center lists on this site all the time. I dont quite have him there at this moment. I think hes had a slow start. He could come back and be better. Its been said that his injury can take a while to get things back to normal if they ever do.
He’s 10-15 for me among centers. People used to overrate him as a sure fire top 5 c this time last year, now people are underrating him here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->