Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman to be introduced as new GM of Detroit | Pat Verbeek joins him as AGM

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think anyone claiming that Yzerman is going to fleece JBB because of his mentor status, forgets that Yzerman negotiated the deal with Holland that sent Kyle Quincey to Detroit for what turned out to be Vasy. It's been supported on numerous occasions that JBB has been in the ear of Yzerman throughout his tenure here, if not in the room for the conference calls and trades.

On the part of Yzerman knowing the roster front and back, that much is true, but I don't see that as a precursor for some deviant acts to follow this summer. If anything it's a basis for dialogue to help both teams out, it could be a very good thing to have occurred.

There's also the ole Yzerman Pump N' Dump. I think JBB's going to understand how Yzerman likes to sell players according to their perceived value (Conacher, Namestnikov) rather than their actual value.

I do see these two working together in deals. Despite being in the same division, Detroit is several years away from being a rival of ours. We look almost ideal as trading partners, and I think these two respect each other enough to make deals that will benefit both teams. Wouldn't be shocking at all if Callahan winds up in Detroit next year, for instance, and Yzerman knows our prospect pool enough to know a fair price, which fair price he no doubt shared with JBB, last year, when they were trying to acquire Karlsson.

The scary thing IS if Yzerman takes a significant portion of the team with him--mainly Murray. We know JBB played a part in the day to day duties, but Yzerman's main strength was putting the right people in the right jobs, and, as SAI said, getting out of their way. We don't know yet if JBB has that same talent.

Reactions: Rschmitz

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
i want more fire moving forward a bad assed man pardon the french in clubhouse in some capacity if thats on the ice ok if its in front office obviously is some changes coming dont think anyone safe coaches etc... too many will be offered say richards etc... so we will be different just get some fire in here for accountability and that can be back in forward center coach dont care but think its needed
The thing about the coaches is that, I don't see anything happening now and even if it did, you'd see them go a bit off the reservation and take Groulx out of Syracuse rather than hire a big name or veteran coach, which i'm sure will make a lot of people piss and moan more.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
The thing about the coaches is that, I don't see anything happening now and even if it did, you'd see them go a bit off the reservation and take Groulx out of Syracuse rather than hire a big name or veteran coach, which i'm sure will make a lot of people piss and moan more.
i like what ive seen from jeff this year so maybe if we cant get it done he will be next up.... i dont see richards being here long just a feeling nothing for why except he will get contacted

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
JBB getting way too much credit on here. Yzerman was the engine. JBB looks scared to make any whole sale changes to me.

The reverse is true, we don't really know what we have with JBB yet one way or another. A small sample size of mixed results.

I was not happy with JBB's press conference at all, but you know what, I wasn't happy with Yzermans first press conference either. He said much of the same things JBB has said about sitting back and evaluating and not making any big plays.

That summer he did the exact opposite and blew up the roster including a trade for Simon Gagne and we made it to game 7 of the conference finals. A very different situation this is, but I think this is the summer we can judge him for, last year when he took over everything that was going to happen had already happened.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The reverse is true, we don't really know what we have with JBB yet one way or another. A small sample size of mixed results.

I was not happy with JBB's press conference at all, but you know what, I wasn't happy with Yzermans first press conference either. He said much of the same things JBB has said about sitting back and evaluating and not making any big plays.

That summer he did the exact opposite and blew up the roster including a trade for Simon Gagne and we made it to game 7 of the conference finals. A very different situation this is, but I think this is the summer we can judge him for, last year when he took over everything that was going to happen had already happened.
I dont think he would have brought back Cooper. This was the chance to make a clean break. Jbb is 0-2 so far.

Reactions: PJ817

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's livestreaming now on youtube.

Pretty much what we thought. Yzerman said (paraphrasing) balancing his work and family life was wearing on him, and he said several times he was having a hard time doing the job the way it needed to be done, so he decided he couldn't sign a new contract.

ADD: Yzerman looks a lot better.

Reactions: Hockey Freak 7

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Buddy....

Just say you didn't want to commit long term because you wanted to work for the Wings.... Like, it's not a big deal and it's shady that they kept beating around the bush.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's livestreaming now on youtube.

Pretty much what we thought. Yzerman said (paraphrasing) balancing his work and family life was wearing on him, and he said several times he was having a hard time doing the job the way it needed to be done, so he decided he couldn't sign a new contract.

ADD: Yzerman looks a lot better.

Holy crap, looks like he gained 5 years of his life back.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Wonder how he does without a Hedman/Stamkos starting block though.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
he said several times he was having a hard time doing the job the way it needed to be done, so he decided he couldn't sign a new contract.

There you have it. Nuanced "I wanted to fire Cooper" and it was shot down by Vinik ... Yzerman knew he needed different coaching; the Coop lovers will chime in with their Coop love but there is nothing else to say

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There you have it. Nuanced "I wanted to fire Cooper" and it was shot down by Vinik ... Yzerman knew he needed different coaching; the Coop lovers will chime in with their Coop love but there is nothing else to say

Wtf are you talking about.

He meant he couldn't do the job to it's full potential because he was being pulled in different directions with his personal life to be able to put full attention into managing Tampa.

Wow you have a way with drawing conclusions, holy.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017

giphy.gif

Reactions: DaBolts and PJ817

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019

He meant he couldn't do the job to it's full potential because he was being pulled in different directions with his personal life to be able to put full attention into managing Tampa.

No, he didn't need to travel a lot and could easily be in DET whenever he needed/wanted. Do you remote work? Ever?

His kids are in college (not in Detroit), his wife is there and was here. So all the beating-around-the-bush? Yes, he wanted to go back to Detroit - that's been a known for year BUT he also did NOT have the ability to fire Coop like he wanted to do last year...

Reactions: Hockey Freak 7

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No, he didn't need to travel a lot and could easily be in DET whenever he needed/wanted. Do you remote work? Ever?

His kids are in college (not in Detroit), his wife is there and was here. So all the beating-around-the-bush? Yes, he wanted to go back to Detroit - that's been a known for year BUT he also did NOT have the ability to fire Coop like he wanted to do last year...

You think a guy like Yzerman wants to GM remotely? How professional is that? All that feeds into is exactly what he said - he wouldn't be able to do the job to it's full potential which means being at work, in person. Seriously, the straw grasping is a bit much.
:laugh:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

ya i wouldnt even say this one lol... does it have bearing maybe but yzerman was gone imho he wants to be home with his girls is what it is.... do not think vinik had anything to do with cooper whatsoever at all... all ive got is rumors from decent sources on yzerman vocally against cooper signing when was done and no real proof... is same with stamkos who ive heard doesnt believe cooper can get job done... was i told that by stamkos no... is there things there probably but yzerman was going home imho from time he put jbb in place... thats how i feel at least... do not blame him cause family matters do not want to face him in future at all... but we have a great core a lot can be done:) hopefully we are more right then wrong and will work out ... since i firsthand watched yzerman from birth in league and went through step by step of detroit? do i think he would be against the cooper signing before the playoffs YES 100% cause that is history he lived and bringing in scotty who got the job done when the other hall of fame coach didnt? so we have history... So yes do I think that had much bearing on yzerman moving on today NO logically NO as much as it sucks imho for the smartest man in any sport to go to another team I do not feel it had any bearing on his decision he was gone since the beginning... is what it is lets gooooo lightning

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
You think a guy like Yzerman wants to GM remotely? How professional is that? All that feeds into is exactly what he said - he wouldn't be able to do the job to it's full potential which means being at work, in person. Seriously, the straw grasping is a bit much.
:laugh:
No, I'm saying he could be here ... do you English?:huh:

I mean, I know I'm taking a test equivalent of the LSAT and comprehensive dissection of philosophy passages is brutal and boring but I still have to make the appropriate inferences to get the questions correct

I am saying, so you do not have to infer:

1. He did not need to be in Detroit for "personal reasons" as his WIFE is / was here and his KIDS are in college NOT in DETROIT

2. He did NOT have the latitude to do the things he wanted here, that needed to be done the way it needed to be (that speaks of Vinik and the other owners saying "No" to firing Coop which is the truth)

3. He travels no matter where he is GM. Whether that is Detroit or Tampa or Seattle or Phoenix or Rangers or wherever, he will be traveling and working REMOTELY; that is not going to change

Hope that helps.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Nothing but respect for Yzerman, we knew he would return to Detroit one day and I can totally understand the reasons behind it. I am glad he ended up there and not in New York or somewhere else.

Though I am confident JBB will do a good work, he has been working closely with SFY through the years and I am sure both did benefit from that co-operation.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Classy responses all around from you guys (unlike the Islanders last year lol). I wouldn’t worry about the future that much, you’re still set to contend for next few years.

Here’s to many playoff series between the Wings and Tampa in the next 2-5 years. Maybe we can take a game finally lolol

You have taken arguably the best GM in the league off us and now you want to win a game against us.

giphy.gif

Its a Bolts Life

Jan 29, 2015
I wish Yzerman all the best. Man really helped turn around our franchise and made us what we are today (minus the playoffs of course:sarcasm:).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad