Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman to be introduced as new GM of Detroit | Pat Verbeek joins him as AGM

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The dude knows our NHL and AHL roster backwards and forward. This year he's going to try to make deals with the more or less rookie GM who is now in charge of this team.

We are going to get fleeced at some point, guaranteed.
Rookie GM? You know Julien has been AGM for, I don't know, ten years? And that he is responsible for the majority of our AHL success and ability to poach QMJHL talents that fly under the radar?

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Rookie GM? You know Julien has been AGM for, I don't know, ten years? And that he is responsible for the majority of our AHL success and ability to poach QMJHL talents that fly under the radar?

Yeah, I'm aware. Assistant GM under Yzerman. Yzerman is now gone. Sorry I have some concern about a GM who did basically nothing this past year (rightly or wrongly) now dealing with a historically amazing GM who is responsible for all of our success, and who also historically makes other GMs look foolish. The man knows this team probably better than he knows the Wings and their AHL team right now. He knows what we want, need, and have. So yeah, I'm concerned he's going to make Brisebois look foolish.

JBB is more than welcome to prove me wrong though. Can the student wheel and deal just as well as the master?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think anyone who thought about this knew he was going back. It's just what we went through is what hurts. The time of it.

He did his job here besides win the cup. I mean his teams have truly done everything else. Here's the thing he did do, he put in position to do it and multiple times. I think our team still has at least a few more stabs at it. I know people and me included are down on this team right now but once everything calms down a little which could still be a while I think we will realize that we still have an amazing team. Really I think if we caught some more luck and yea if Coop would have coached even a little better we would still be playing. Other posters have been right this team has mostly gotten by on its talent and once we have gotten in position where we have to play a different game we havent been able to adapt. That's on everyone involved in the process of putting together a team, including SY and Al Murray, but I don't put much blame on them.

My point is that what just happened is maybe a little bit of what can happen in the playoffs. You get in enough times you have a good chance your team can catch fire and win it, just as much as it can fold and collapse. With that said, we have a really talented core. We get in enough times in the future here and I like our chances to get hot one year and bring it home. Mostly because of the core that SY has been able to build here.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Yeah, I'm aware. Assistant GM under Yzerman. Yzerman is now gone. Sorry I have some concern about a GM who did basically nothing this past year (rightly or wrongly) now dealing with a historically amazing GM who is responsible for all of our success, and who also historically makes other GMs look foolish. The man knows this team probably better than he knows the Wings and their AHL team right now. He knows what we want, need, and have. So yeah, I'm concerned he's going to make Brisebois look foolish.

JBB is more than welcome to prove me wrong though. Can the student wheel and deal just as well as the master?
Basically did nothing? Oh, minus, you know, helping put together a roster that won 62 games, 47 wins in the AHL and a playoff berth, finding a number of talents like Gourde and ABB, basically handling all arbitration cases for the team, working daily directly with Stacy Roest for player development?

If you have no idea what the man does on a day to day basis and you decide to shit on him it says a lot more about you than him.

Historically amazing GM? Steve was great and did a lot of things, more specifically, put a LOT of people in the right places to find success for this team. He didn't do it all, he did what any real successful manager would do in this case - put smart, great people in a position to succeed, and get out of the way. Steve had many faults, trade clauses, extended contracts for older guys, lets not pretend he was perfect. Your post also further shows that you haven't payed any attention to the work he has done with the Crunch.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I don't think you can really separate Yzerman and JBB when talking about successes and failures. They both own them.

JBB also knows better than anybody how Yzerman works, so I don't see any fleecings in the future. I think there's a good opportunity for some hockey trades though--deals that make both teams better. Detroit would be a nice landing spot for a bad contract, for instance.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think you can really separate Yzerman and JBB when talking about successes and failures. They both own them.

JBB also knows better than anybody how Yzerman works, so I don't see any fleecings in the future. I think there's a good opportunity for some hockey trades though--deals that make both teams better. Detroit would be a nice landing spot for a bad contract, for instance.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of Johnson, Palat, Miller, or Gourde go to Detroit.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

You're not wrong there, and thats fair, they worked hand in hand daily.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think anyone claiming that Yzerman is going to fleece JBB because of his mentor status, forgets that Yzerman negotiated the deal with Holland that sent Kyle Quincey to Detroit for what turned out to be Vasy. It's been supported on numerous occasions that JBB has been in the ear of Yzerman throughout his tenure here, if not in the room for the conference calls and trades.

On the part of Yzerman knowing the roster front and back, that much is true, but I don't see that as a precursor for some deviant acts to follow this summer. If anything it's a basis for dialogue to help both teams out, it could be a very good thing to have occurred.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
JBB getting way too much credit on here. Yzerman was the engine. JBB looks scared to make any whole sale changes to me.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
JBB has been Steve’s right hand man for years, if there was one GM who would not get fleeced from him it’s JBB, as other have said don’t be shocked to see one of the contracts we need to go to end up in Detroit.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
JBB getting way too much credit on here. Yzerman was the engine. JBB looks scared to make any whole sale changes to me.
I'm worried but I'll give him some time before I judge him. He hasn't really made any big moves yet, this off season will tell a lot on what he's capable of.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i hope im wrong i have zero confidence NOW in jbb... per my sources yzerman was against cooper signing imho he had Q sitting in wings so to speak till the announcement of coopers new deal that DID not have to be done at that time... stamkos also per my people is not sure or doesnt believe cooper can get the job done. SO imho jbb went against his master and so far has only one choice but to have damage control handle this shit show of what we are now. If cooper has lost the roster a bit as I suspect we do not even have a playoff guarantee next year and to me that is unacceptable same situation as boucher but im not a lets trade this guy for this guy. I do like halpern a lot but do not have answers being a coach gm on what is needed just I have NO confidence in JBB and his stance and cooper and I think personally that is very fair and if im right on what has went down we got along road ahead sadly... I am very raw of the playoffs and do know vasy had some issues which didnt help and coburn was good for one two games but no stralman and hedman was awful so he wasnt ready so scoring against wise it makes sense but how we go from a 3-4 goal a game team to 1 or 2 is just shocking... I do not believe we get the cup without a lot of changes and jbb has to be right more then wrong just what ive heard sucks and bothers me as a fan more then anything since marty... really upset... very raw as im sure many others are..... sad love to all hope im wrong just no confidence going forward..... and richards is not a solution need some damned fire plain and simple in this org

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I'll actually step out and say, now that this is officially Juliens team, I wouldn't be shocked to see a good amount of movement this summer. If he wants his teams to mimic what Syracuse is/has done, you'll see the bottom six get rebuilt a bit differently. Julien is not shy about making changes, but the right changes.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'll actually step out and say, now that this is officially Juliens team, I wouldn't be shocked to see a good amount of movement this summer. If he wants his teams to mimic what Syracuse is/has done, you'll see the bottom six get rebuilt a bit differently. Julien is not shy about making changes, but the right changes.

I would love that. Keep the core together and improve the team around that. We've gotten quite stale the past few years, as great as the roster is.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
no we love when you talk at least i do... im a bolt for life whatever is done not done and im sure ill feel a whole lot differently moving forward when i see us on the ice again... I hope jbb adds some fire and i hope we hold each other more accountable moving forward top to bottom.... ive seen sweeps many of them ive seen plenty of cups too with same groups... nothing is a magic button you need things health puck luck other factors to win a cup plain and simple is why not everyone gets there i love what i consider is our core moving forward.... I think cooper does good job in some ways my main concern being prep for game ones each series and im a coach GM i dont have the answer but a more firery speech or something... that really has to come from the group as much as the coach... this laid back culture here at times or at least my view of it drives me insane at times.... if any of these coaches were the be all end all? they would have scotty montreal records lol ..... we have a good core we have a good group i hope we keep murray as long as possible. but no matter what im gonna be a bolt and believe in them when the game is on till they lose then digest and bring up concerns.... we should be fine.... i hope jbb wants to get a bit bigger tougher i really want to see verhaegh next year and I hope we make the right choices on defense.... cause am not sure how many man minutes any of the 3 who are ufa now can put in moving forward. but just like said above need luck puck luck health etc.... we will be fine if jbb gets it more right then wrong we got a great core they have done things....

my core
vasy
kucherov
stamkos
point
hedman
mcd
cernak
thats my 7 get us what we need for the cup:) i love all of them honestly and will wish them well

im sooooo raw on yzerman situation i will not watch him right now i will not wish him well or the wings im a bolt now and forever

i do not blame him for leaving to be closer to family etc... whatever happens it was meant to be but will not be going back to the winged wheel...
lets gooooo lightning

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012

However, there’s no indication Murray is joining Yzerman in Detroit, at least at this point. Murray, who has two years left on his contract in Tampa Bay, is believed however to have an opt-out this summer triggered by Yzerman’s departure. This is where BriseBois comes in.

The Lightning could keep some of their people in place by promoting from within. They have plenty of openings, with BriseBois still having not filled his own assistant GM/AHL Syracuse GM job he vacated. BriseBois, a product of promoting from within during his serendipitous rise, believes that’s the “healthy” way to do it.

“Unless people are offered an opportunity to improve their lot — in which case I’ll never prevent them from doing that, and I’m rooting for all of them to get those opportunities — I would expect it’s going to be pretty much the same group,” BriseBois told The Athletic recently. “If (Verbeek) gets an opportunity to improve his lot as a GM, that’s OK. It creates an opportunity to promote some guys internally, to get more responsibilities. It’s healthy.”

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
no we love when you talk at least i do... im a bolt for life whatever is done not done and im sure ill feel a whole lot differently moving forward when i see us on the ice again... I hope jbb adds some fire and i hope we hold each other more accountable moving forward top to bottom.... ive seen sweeps many of them ive seen plenty of cups too with same groups... nothing is a magic button you need things health puck luck other factors to win a cup plain and simple is why not everyone gets there i love what i consider is our core moving forward.... I think cooper does good job in some ways my main concern being prep for game ones each series and im a coach GM i dont have the answer but a more firery speech or something... that really has to come from the group as much as the coach... this laid back culture here at times or at least my view of it drives me insane at times.... if any of these coaches were the be all end all? they would have scotty montreal records lol ..... we have a good core we have a good group i hope we keep murray as long as possible. but no matter what im gonna be a bolt and believe in them when the game is on till they lose then digest and bring up concerns.... we should be fine.... i hope jbb wants to get a bit bigger tougher i really want to see verhaegh next year and I hope we make the right choices on defense.... cause am not sure how many man minutes any of the 3 who are ufa now can put in moving forward. but just like said above need luck puck luck health etc.... we will be fine if jbb gets it more right then wrong we got a great core they have done things....

my core
vasy
kucherov
stamkos
point
hedman
mcd
cernak
thats my 7 get us what we need for the cup:) i love all of them honestly and will wish them well

im sooooo raw on yzerman situation i will not watch him right now i will not wish him well or the wings im a bolt now and forever

i do not blame him for leaving to be closer to family etc... whatever happens it was meant to be but will not be going back to the winged wheel...
lets gooooo lightning
I still stand by my wanting an extra defender at the deadline, and really, a vet who hasn't won would have been a nice touch, too.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I still stand by my wanting an extra defender at the deadline, and really, a vet who hasn't won would have been a nice touch, too.
i want more fire moving forward a bad assed man pardon the french in clubhouse in some capacity if thats on the ice ok if its in front office obviously is some changes coming dont think anyone safe coaches etc... too many will be offered say richards etc... so we will be different just get some fire in here for accountability and that can be back in forward center coach dont care but think its needed

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I’m more worried if Murray goes than anything. We should be doing whatever it takes to keep him. Am aware that the oilers were looking at him for GM.

I know Verbeek was interviewed, this is the first I am hearing of Murray being a candidate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad