Injury Report: Steve Mason (speculated as right knee) out two weeks from Jan. 11; Zepp recalled

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well you can play without being 100%, what needs to be determined is if playing below 100% will just make you play slightly worse than usual or will it possibly risk further injury. If Mason felt that he wasn't 100% then he should have said so and just let Emery start. Same thing for Giroux, if he had made his ankle injury worse by coming back too early I'd have been annoyed with him being dumb too. Luckily he didn't make it worse so it wasn't a big deal, but Mason did so now here we are. At the end of the day the only responsibility the staff has is making sure they're medically cleared to play, but they can only go off of what their equipment and the players tell them, it's the players responsibility to judge if they're ready since they're the only ones who know how they feel.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
What aren't you getting?

If he's been medically cleared, as in doctors say that there is nothing that they can observe that says he's unable to play, then both the coach and management are obviously going to believe he's fine. If anyone is going to say otherwise it would have to be Mason.

So the options are 1) He was 100% fine and this is an unrelated injury or fluke re-injury where nobody is to blame or 2) Mason knew he wasn't ready and didn't say anything about it, which would be his fault.

It's not like we're saying that he's an at fault simply because he got injured, what's being said is that if he knew that he wasn't ready to play and he did anyway then he was being irresponsible and made a mistake.

Well the part I'm getting is the one that you simply just don't. And for me it's not worth getting into a type-off about. We can leave it at you blaming Mason and me blaming the medical staff and Hextall. Your reply was hard for me to read tbh.

Between the whole situation that we've seen step by step, wince by wince, leaving practices, sore in games, slow getting up, and then now Hexy's quotes, I can't help but laugh at the suggestion that this is predominantly Mason's fault. Give me a break come on. Goal-tending overly obvious core injury, protect your ****in assets Hexy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So what then? Mason is being forced to play by Hextall and Berube, despite him telling them he doesn't feel well enough?

Yeah that sounds realistic.

You're basically just taking a shot in the dark by blaming the medical staff and Hextall by guessing that they didn't do their job properly, despite the obvious fact that you have no real reason to think that. If you can't understand why this could be at least partially be Masons fault then you either don't want to believe it or you're somehow incapable of understanding.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
From that article... a direct quote from Hextall that shows Seravalli is an idiot who twists words.

"We need to win right now and it's a coach's obligation to put the best lineup on the ice that he can, assuming that we're not putting anyone at risk," Hextall said yesterday. "We had reassurance from our medical staff that he was fine. Again, this injury is independent from any bump or bruise that he's had."

Seriously, read the rest of that article and tell me that's not one of the dumbest things ever written. Couldn't be more obvious that he has an agenda.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Mason had a back injury earlier this year which may have had some influence on his movements or even contributed to what happened later even after he was cleared to play again.

Then he tweaked his knee. Everybody including Coaches and Hextall knew he was not 100% but they asked if he was good to go and he definitely wanted to go. Desperate times, desperate measures. But no big upset in my mind.
Hextall was a goalie himself, I would give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Seravalli's article is contemptible garbage., including wild speculation that Mason was at risk of tearing his groin muscle off the bone. Of course this is the same clown who immediately guessed Grossmann had a concussion after he was clearly favoring his right shoulder when walking down the tunnel.

Regardless of the rhetoric, all of Mason's injuries are related. The result is a compounding effect from repetitive use and appearing in 23 out of a possible 27 games.

There is no basis for definitively claiming the knee injury he suffered against Ottawa on January 6th was related to the back injury he suffered on December 19th, or that either injury was due to overuse. Plenty of other goalies have played more than Mason this season.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
There's some serious lack of understanding professional sports protocol in this thread. It's so far beyond laughable to state this is more Mason's fault than the Hextall/Training staff. It's actually sad, these losses piling up must be really taking a toll on the ability of some people to reason around here.

Mason was just let down hard by his medical staff who led him to believe he was fine to play regardless of soreness you could spot and hear from outer space, theres no doubt that he vocalized it. The kid strapped up his pads because he was absolutely expected to, obviously not forced, but anyone whose not a complete idiot knew he should have sat out against NJ after the previous few days. Considering the organization has 12 million dollars invested in him from now over the next couple of seasons, he must be in a whole ******** of trouble from Hexy and his medical staff for being sooo irresponsible to play injured and further damage his bottleneck asset? Just laughable stuff.

Sorry but the fault is on Hextall and his staff of proven incompetents, not Mason. Or is what you're saying that he should have downright refused to play? You've got an aggravated core injury that everyone and their dead grandmas knows about, meanwhile your medical staff is clearing you on your notable soft tissue damage, your GM is expecting you to play because of that and your coach is putting you down in ink. He was physically able to dress and play but the gamble lays in the hands of the General Manager and Hextall got exactly what he so clearly was just begging for. Playing with fire but atleast we'll burn to ash without Mase in net and get that better pick, Hex is really doing well at this so far....

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
There's some serious lack of understanding professional sports protocol in this thread. It's so far beyond laughable to state this is more Mason's fault than the Hextall/Training staff. It's actually sad, these losses piling up must be really taking a toll on the ability of some people to reason around here.

Mason was just let down hard by his medical staff who led him to believe he was fine to play regardless of soreness you could spot and hear from outer space, theres no doubt that he vocalized it. The kid strapped up his pads because he was absolutely expected to, obviously not forced, but anyone whose not a complete idiot knew he should have sat out against NJ after the previous few days. Considering the organization has 12 million dollars invested in him from now over the next couple of seasons, he must be in a whole ******** of trouble from Hexy and his medical staff for being sooo irresponsible to play injured and further damage his bottleneck asset? Just laughable stuff.

Sorry but the fault is on Hextall and his staff of proven incompetents, not Mason. Or is what you're saying that he should have downright refused to play? You've got an aggravated core injury that everyone and their dead grandmas knows about, meanwhile your medical staff is clearing you on your notable soft tissue damage, your GM is expecting you to play because of that and your coach is putting you down in ink. He was physically able to dress and play but the gamble lays in the hands of the General Manager and Hextall got exactly what he so clearly was just begging for. Playing with fire but atleast we'll burn to ash without Mase in net and get that better pick, Hex is really doing well at this so far....

It's still up to the player to tell them on gameday: "I'm not feeling right, something is wrong. I can't play".

Mason himself did not have any issues in practice and he decided he could play.
I can't believe it's like the MRI does not show anything, and they go "we don't think you're hurting, you're ok, you have to play".

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I'm not a fan of Frank Seravalli, i try not to read anything he writes. The guy always speculates on injuries without any medical background, writes an article about how its a blessing a player got hurt.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

You're basically just pulling all this out of your ass. God forbid anyone say anything negative about Mason or even hint that it's not the organizations fault, white knights won't allow that.

Your entire accusation is 100% based on the assumption that the medical staff screwed up, which is far from being a sure thing. Clearly, since they messed up in the past, everything they do now is wrong and they're just out to hurt the players? Please.

If we use a little bit of common sense and assume that the medical staff did their jobs then we would also assume that Hextall was under the impression that he's completely fine to play. Hextall has two sources of information about this, the medical staff and Mason. If the staff say he's cleared and Mason (the only person who really knows what he's feeling) doesn't contradict that then there is no reason for Hextall to think otherwise.

Or would we prefer that Hextall assumes that the medical staff is incompetent and that the players are liars so he keeps everyone out an extra couple of weeks after they're cleared to play?

Also, like you said, they have a bunch invested in him since he's the starting goalie on a new contract, it makes no sense to assume they pushed him to play while injured when the season is already basically over. Just another thing that doesn't add up in your little scenario.

You have an agenda to blame the medical staff and Hextall, just like that idiot Seravalli. Unfortunately for both of you, there's no proof to back it up, so acting on the assumption that it is true just makes you both look like raving lunatics.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
It's still up to the player to tell them on gameday: "I'm not feeling right, something is wrong. I can't play".

AGREED ..... no way Mason felt absolutely 100% .... after 3 incidents earlier in the week.

common sense ON ALL PARTS was SCREAMING: "take a few days off to be on the safe side"

inexcusable .. i blame EVERYONE: Hextall, Mason & the Med Staff

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Servalli's an idiot. It's clear he's pointing fingers and trying to stir up crap in which there simply isn't anything to stir up. If the MRI cleared Mason to play, then that means the medical professionals found nothing that would indicate any sort of structural damage. No medical professional is going to risk their career on putting an injured player on the ice. The malpractice lawsuit that would come from that and the career-ending reputation that would come from that would be insurmountable. They'd be done in their field.

Now, just guessing what took place, but it probably went something like this: Mason tweaked his knee in the Ottawa game. After the game, he probably sat in a pool of ice to take it down. Goes to practice, tweaks the knee again. Gets an MRI. The MRI shows no structural or ligament damage of the knee so Mason gets cleared by the medical staff. Management and coaching staff then check with Mason to ensure he's OK to go and Mason re-assures them that he should be fine. Mason goes to play in the Washington game and plays well, but the knee is probably giving him some discomfort. The Boston game rolls around and the knee really acts up and Mason needs to be pulled. MRI once again shows no structural or ligament damage, but they decide to rest him up.

I guess at this point, you could blame everyone for what took place, but Servalli's grasping at straws and is trying to create controversy where one doesn't exist. If Mason had any inclination that the knee was going to be problematic or if the Flyers thought there might be issues with the knee, he wouldn't play, period. Nobody is willing to put their careers on the line for a win.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
there is a difference between being hurt and being sore from playing. Every player is playing thru something. The MRI came back negative and Mason felt he could go so they let him play. The medical staff has had some instances in the past where they have made some questionable decisions but I don't think that is the case here.
The MRI was negative, Mason felt he could play thru whatever soreness he had.
As far as this idea that a player should think well "the season is lost maybe I should sit for a couple of weeks before I am 100 percent refreshed." How would that be viewed in the room with his teammates with 40 games left? not very well. The players are not going to concede anything.
I would not want a player on my team like that.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'm not a fan of Frank Seravalli, i try not to read anything he writes. The guy always speculates on injuries without any medical background, writes an article about how its a blessing a player got hurt.

Sound like he could have been an HFboard's poster :sarcasm:

EDIT: Also, the player is always going to want to play. It's up to the medical staff to show both him and the coaches/GM that he can't go.

Last edited:

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia

Said no competitive professional hockey player ever, especially after being cleared by his medical staff saying he's 100% able to play. This isn't how it works inside a hockey dressing room, for those who clearly have no idea.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
there is a difference between being hurt and being sore from playing.
Every player is playing thru something. The MRI came back negative and Mason felt he could go so they let him play.

the difference is that if one of 15 or so skaters cant finish a game, its not a major issue.

only 2 goalies dress & i had EVERY expectation that Mason was gonna limp off at some point based on the 3 incidents in the week leading up to it ...

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
the difference is that if one of 15 or so skaters cant finish a game, its not a major issue.

only 2 goalies dress & i had EVERY expectation that Mason was gonna limp off at some point based on the 3 incidents in the week leading up to it ...

You should be a weather man if you were 100% certain of this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad