Injury Report: Steve Mason (speculated as right knee) out two weeks from Jan. 11; Zepp recalled

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Mason is as much to blame here, in my view. He knew what he felt. An MRI not revealing a major issue does not mean he's 100% healthy and not at risk. He needs to be smart .... its his career at stake .... the Flyers will have 2 goalies regardless if Mason's career ends.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Mason is as much to blame here, in my view. He knew what he felt. An MRI not revealing a major issue does not mean he's 100% healthy and not at risk. He needs to be smart .... its his career at stake .... the Flyers will have 2 goalies regardless if Mason's career ends.

If doctors told him he can't make it any worse by playing, he is gonna play. He's a competitor.

I broke a rib, and was supposed to take 8 weeks off to heal. Doctor told me I couldn't do any more damage, but it would be painful to play, so I was back on the ice in 3 weeks.

I blame people who gave him medical clearance

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hextall should put him on IR and end it. Emery should be getting more starts so that he can raise is trade value (or prove to the Flyers that it's time to move on). At some point Minnesota is going to get desperate to fix their goaltending situation.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

He's got a sore knee. There's no threat of a career ending injury.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
If doctors told him he can't make it any worse by playing, he is gonna play. He's a competitor.

I broke a rib, and was supposed to take 8 weeks off to heal. Doctor told me I couldn't do any more damage, but it would be painful to play, so I was back on the ice in 3 weeks.

I blame people who gave him medical clearance

did you go the the locker room after 10 minutes & not return ? no. you could do your job on the ice.

" not making it worse" and "not being able to get up after making a save" are 2 different things.

he cannot do his job. we finished the game with 1 goalie. hes putting the team in a bad position by not making sure hes back to normal, which he clearly is not.

He's got a sore knee. There's no threat of a career ending injury.

there's always a threat of a career ending injury. even to the 100% healthy.

a sore knee ? to the point that the goalie cannot get up ?? i bet theres a bigger threat to Mason than to Zepp.

the point is that Mason should be thinking long term FOR HIMSELF. theres $$$ on the line.

the Flyers, on the other hand, can always call up the next guy ... even after Mason stops playing.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
It's more Masons fault than anyone else, if he wasn't ready then he shouldn't be playing. He got the medical OK to play, but they can't tell what he's feeling. If there was any kind of doubt in his mind then he should have been smart enough to make the decision on his own. It's not like he was risking losing his starting spot by taking time off. I understand being a competitive guy and wanting to be there for your team, but at some point you have to see the big picture and realize that short term decisions can have long term effects.

Nice post and agree. Especially considering that the team is not going anywhere fast. If they were competing for a playoff spot, I could understand, but being basement bunnies, why even bother risking it???

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
You going to jump ship cause of a comment cant wait till hextall starts moving people out should be good for a laugh.

playing your number 1 goalie who is clearly not 100 % during a lost season is ****ing Pejorative Slured, so yes I have a problem with that. Anyone with common ****ing sense should.

Your comment about moving players is irrelevant.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pretty sure that's the typical Philly beat writer ********. I'd bet that second tweet is his spin on what was actually said. I doubt Hextall actually said they used him while injured because they needed to win. That doesn't add up at all, especially considering the first tweet. This is a different injury, the first one was something unrelated and he was cleared to play, what happened in the last game was something else entirely.

I'd bet the question was something like "do you regret using Mason" not "do you regret using Mason when he was clearly injured".. Of course he's going to say he doesn't regret using him because he was cleared to play, it's not like he knew he was hurt and pushed him.

Maybe I'm wrong but something definitely seems fishy and considering all the Flyers beats are complete Pejorative Slurs I'd bet Seravalli is why.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You going to jump ship cause of a comment cant wait till hextall starts moving people out should be good for a laugh.

So you think it's fine?

A player can often play thru pain...they adjust their game a little.

A goalie clearly has to be closer to 100%....or you get what we got the other day.

I too think Hextall's comments are poor....if they are reported correctly I might add.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
UH-OH!!!!!

"You never know how much of a setback it is until the guys that are replacing him play. Obviously it's not what we want, it's a tough break for our hockey club, but it is what it is and we're going to deal with it. In the end, Ray is a capable guy and we brought Rob in for a reason, and this is the reason. Hopefully, it'll be a couple weeks and we get through the period without Mase."

It is what it is. I have heard those sage words before.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It looks as if Grossmann was placed on IR in order to recall Zepp.

Mason, as of now, was not placed on IR and Zepp's promotion isn't a second emergency recall.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Dont wanna jump off the Hexy train this early, but that comment does not settle well with me at all.

I'd like to see the actual quote from Hextall first, rather than just go by Seravalli's paraphrasing of it on twitter.

Oh awesome... so he has a couple problems instead of one...

Would you rather he had reinjured his back rather than tweaked his knee making a save against Ottawa? I wouldn't.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Someone's trying to tell you something Hexy. You're not supposed to win this year. Do the right thing.

Well, they have to 'try' to win all the games, and they can't be taking the easy way out. The Flyers will never tank, or at least admit to it, which is a good thing.

If Mason said he could go, then they pretty well have to let him, since the MRI was negative. Let's face it, if players didn't play with injuries, there would be a lot of empty benches on every team. Sore shoulders, knees, feet, etc. are all over the league.

I don't want to risk Mason's future, but even if you're effectively out of it, you can't admit to giving up at the halfway point. There are a lot of home games to sell tickets for.

Now, would the fans come out to see some of the prospects play after a few vets leave town? In Philly, maybe.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Great, now 2 weeks .....

Yea, ok, purely co-incidental ..... this injury has nothing to do with him being gimpy all week ....

Yea, sure, whatever you say Flyers ..... jesus .......

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I missed the part where players now get blamed when medically cleared and expected to dress for millions of dollars. Are we serious here?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What aren't you getting?

If he's been medically cleared, as in doctors say that there is nothing that they can observe that says he's unable to play, then both the coach and management are obviously going to believe he's fine. If anyone is going to say otherwise it would have to be Mason.

So the options are 1) He was 100% fine and this is an unrelated injury or fluke re-injury where nobody is to blame or 2) Mason knew he wasn't ready and didn't say anything about it, which would be his fault.

It's not like we're saying that he's an at fault simply because he got injured, what's being said is that if he knew that he wasn't ready to play and he did anyway then he was being irresponsible and made a mistake.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
theres no way those 3 specific incidents were unrelated in that short of a time frame..

you'd have to be blind and stupid to beleive Mason was 100% between each event..

he clearly shouldnt have played that last game..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad