Injury Report: Steve Mason (speculated as right knee) out two weeks from Jan. 11; Zepp recalled

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Photo taken during Saturday's (Jan. 10) game:

B7Awv7gCAAEWx2e.jpg:large

Source: AP

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I really should have looked into it some more before I picked him up this morning in my keeper pool. Felt like you guys were due for your regular push...

He got me 5 saves before being injured.

Anyway that's not important, hope he gets healthy, seems like a great guy/underrated goalie when he's on.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don't blame this on the training staff. We have to remember a lot falls on the player also. His MRI showed nothing and he was comfortable enough to play obviously. It's his choice to make. The staff had to ask him how he felt and the player has to be honest just like with concussions. There seems to be something irritating him in the region and he should have told them he wasn't ready to go.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Ya it's tough for a guy like Mase who has competitiveness going for him as one of his best assets, he wants to be in there and wants to get this team turned around. I think he was showing it in his own subtle but obvious enough ways by wincing and getting up so slowly on saves over the last cpl games. I'm sure everyone couldn't help but notice. Not sure in what world a hockey goalie works through inflamed core injuries getting peppered behind a pile of **** for defence.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I would imagine the team is waiting to see the results of the evaluation Sunday before recalling Zepp. If I remember the clause in the CBA correctly, teams are permitted two emergency recalls per season. Zepp was already recalled on an emergency basis and then later, again IIRC, the team put Mason on IR in order to be cap compliant. Emergency recalls have a maximum stay of 48 hours. If all that is accurate, it probably isn't prudent to recall Zepp on a second emergency basis and not have that option should it be needed for later in the season.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's more Masons fault than anyone else, if he wasn't ready then he shouldn't be playing. He got the medical OK to play, but they can't tell what he's feeling. If there was any kind of doubt in his mind then he should have been smart enough to make the decision on his own. It's not like he was risking losing his starting spot by taking time off. I understand being a competitive guy and wanting to be there for your team, but at some point you have to see the big picture and realize that short term decisions can have long term effects.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
It's more Masons fault than anyone else, if he wasn't ready then he shouldn't be playing. He got the medical OK to play, but they can't tell what he's feeling. If there was any kind of doubt in his mind then he should have been smart enough to make the decision on his own. It's not like he was risking losing his starting spot by taking time off. I understand being a competitive guy and wanting to be there for your team, but at some point you have to see the big picture and realize that short term decisions can have long term effects.

well lets hope thats what happens this time... cuz clearly this last week was a disaster of allowing a injured guy to keep trying to play when he shouldnt have been

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Talk some sense into
mason. He is our goalie and we want him here for productive years. Put him on IR if we are able to.until he is 125% healed. Don't care how much extra time it takes. We are not making the playoffs, this year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We play 6 games in the next 10 days.....then a full week off from the 20th-27th.

Don't let him play again until Jan 27th. That is just over 2 weeks to get 100% healthy. It would be dumb to rush him back AGAIN only to have back to back games on the 19th and 20th...in which he should only play 1 anyways.

Let him rest.

Oh....and let's have some 7-6 games to help Jake and G!

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Sorry, Nostrodamus but he played the whole game and won.

Guys play thru soreness all the time, especially when tests don't show anything wrong.

B7Awv7gCAAEWx2e.jpg:large

Even Stevie Wonder could see something was not quite right ..... its easy to spot a goalie who's straining to get up, and to see that in consecutive games surrounding a failed practice session is a sure sign he needed to be shut down.

But, OK, Ray Charles ..... whatever you say.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Hope that he saw a different doctor than whichever one allowed him to play this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->