Steve Downie Destroys AZ Coyotes on Twitter - Calls Tippett an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
He is right about Cherry though.
Cherry has toned down significantly in recent years but it was not right for him to label anyone with a visor as a *****. His constant making fun of European names and calling all russian and euros as dainty figure skaters was just wrong.
(mod)

I disagree. Maybe Cherry needed to tone it down on certain topics, but Downie is 100% at fault for what he did. Left his feet and led with the shoulder at high speed. No Steve, that hit isn't what happens when you watch too much Don Cherry, it's what happens when you play like a reckless ass and have a warped mindset on the game. The fact that he tries to lessen the blame of ****** behavior by putting it on someone else, in addition to pulling the bs "I'm just doing what it takes to play" card, just makes him look even more like a POS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I disagree. Maybe Cherry needed to tone it down on certain topics, but Downie is 100% at fault for what he did. Left his feet and led with the shoulder at high speed. No Steve, that hit isn't what happens when you watch too much Don Cherry, it's what happens when you play like a reckless ass and have a warped mindset on the game. The fact that he tries to lessen the blame of ****** behavior by putting it on someone else, in addition to pulling the bs "I'm just doing what it takes to play" card, just makes him look even more like a POS.

Cherry did push that warped mindset of the game for a long time

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Cherry did push that warped mindset of the game for a long time

Downie is a grown man who should know right from wrong, and should know what constitutes as reckless, injury causing behavior.

Saying he did it because some random, angry old man he didn't have to listen to promoted tough play is a pretty weak excuse. There are plenty of players trying to make it in the league, and others who make a living off of playing chippy. Not all of them play dirty, nor do all of them point the finger at someone else when they're caught doing it.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Downie has a lot of nerve calling anyone else classless. He has shown his lack of class as far back as his junior days. And to blame Cherry for his actions on the ice....what a joke. Obviously Mr Downie is missing the spotlight he was in being in the NHL and is desperately trying to get some attention here.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't disagree with Downie that Tippett's an idiot but in the context of the Domi fight, I don't think you could stop Domi from fighting even if you really wanted to.

Hall and mcdavid have both been injured fighting. I rank them as more important than domi. You don't want your stars fighting but it happens.

He also one punched another teams star so he's probably one of the few stars you let fight and don't expect to get injured.

Tie domis kid you expect him to be pretty tough.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
It's a simple matter of self-respect, as mentioned previously.

What's with all the proud card-carrying members of the "Anti-intellectual Association" ?

It must be a fad.

Seriously. Why are people defending this?

There is a correlation between reading, writing, the ability to articulate and intelligence. It is something that does matter, and people that dismiss it as "something that doesn't matter" just make me scratch my head. I guess not everyone values it, but don't expect to be taken seriously if you can't post your thoughts and ideas coherently.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

There is a correlation between reading, writing, the ability to articulate and intelligence. It is something that does matter, and people that dismiss it as "something that doesn't matter" just make me scratch my head. I guess not everyone values it, but don't expect to be taken seriously if you can't post your thoughts and ideas coherently.

Dang the last post like this spelt a word wrong. But anyways the split is basically he has bad grammar and he is right but he has bad grammar.

I have yet to see a he's wrong post. (Maybe I missed it but it seems more like people are mad that a hockey player spoke up and grammar is the only thing they can attack)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Amidst all the noise, how awesome is it that Ed Snider came and sat by his hospital bed when he had a concussion in Philly? R.I.P. Mr. Snider :-(

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Dang the last post like this spelt a word wrong. But anyways the split is basically he has bad grammar and he is right but he has bad grammar.

I have yet to see a he's wrong post. (Maybe I missed it but it seems more like people are mad that a hockey player spoke up and grammar is the only thing they can attack)

He's not wrong about the Coyotes. I totally disagree with the whole Don Cherry comment.

I don't think anyone's mad, they're just commenting on how bad grammar makes you look. What espaces me is why people are defending it. Not so much Downie himself.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

downie is a buffoon

but cherry is

among other things

xenophobic, borderline racist and a narcissistic sycophant who should have been put out to pasture years ago

He's not wrong about the Coyotes. I totally disagree with the whole Don Cherry comment.

I don't think anyone's mad, they're just commenting on how bad grammar makes you look. What espaces me is why people are defending it. Not so much Downie himself.

there is a science to bad grammar and spelling

almost like a language of trolls

it is subtle and discreet

two things downie's 1am pinot fueled rage fest did not have

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
It's almost like he knows his career is over and him going nuclear on his NHL bridges is irrelevant.
Just like his rant will be in 10 days.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
It's a simple matter of self-respect, as mentioned previously.

What's with all the proud card-carrying members of the "Anti-intellectual Association" ?

It must be a fad.

They could have just as easily said 'basic' as opposed to 'remedial' and accomplished the same goal. Writing in a completely different manner than how you, and most other (educated), people speak in real life is limiting...if you can't tell that now then maybe time will help

I'm the last person to defend 140 character culture, but it would be reasonable to temper your expectations when it comes to critically evaluating the opinions of retired (high-school educated) hockey players.

The fact that you associate what I said with 'defending this' is telling in itself. There is some context escaping you

varano

Jun 27, 2013
downie is a buffoon

but cherry is

among other things

xenophobic, borderline racist and a narcissistic sycophant who should have been put out to pasture years ago

there is a science to bad grammar and spelling

almost like a language of trolls

it is subtle and discreet

two things downie's 1am pinot fueled rage fest did not have

i see what you did there.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, I'd say it's more like 80-90% Coyotes fans on this website. Not simply a handful.

This is absolutely correct. Those numbers are pretty much bang-on. There are about 4-5 steadfast Tippett supporters on the Coyotes board and they annoyingly insist that the numbers are the opposite of this. Which is insane because every time a poll is posted, they are exposed. And yet this insistence.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
When you call someone an idiot but don't understand the difference between there, their, and they're.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Who does Downie blame for being a complete ******* off the ice as well? Remember the hazing incident, the cross check (which cost a kid 3 teeth), resulting fight with a teammate that eventually cost Downie a 5 game suspension.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Downie is a top boy. Wonderful that there's still people this candid.

Yeah, get drunk and blame others for your choices in life via social media, role model right there

This is like all those dumbasses that tried to blame Heavy Metal and Horror Movies for their problems

Lafontaine, Lindros, Primeau and many others were all out of the league due to concussions before Downie played a single NHL game and yet it's Don Cherry's fault he headhunted unsuspecting prey every chance he got cause he watched some hockey videos and he didn't know there were consequences

Man up and accept your actions as your own

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
The fact that you associate what I said with 'defending this' is telling in itself. There is some context escaping you

The post I made was directed towards others. If I wanted to discuss your post, I would have quoted it.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
downie is a buffoon

but cherry is

among other things

Pretty much this. I'm no fan of Downie, but I'm less of a fan of Cherry and the absolute garbage that he spews sometimes. The more people that call him out, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad