Steve Downie Destroys AZ Coyotes on Twitter - Calls Tippett an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
Lol to those entirely discrediting what Downie has to say because of his spelling mistakes. I'm glad Downie decided to do do, the stuff about behind the scenes is important and the hockey culture has to change. Cherry is seen as this legend in Canada but he's one of the biggest sources of the problem.

We all know that intelligent people focus on the wording and not the idea.... yes totally.

:sarcasm:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
We all know that intelligent people focus on the wording and not the idea.... yes totally.

:sarcasm:

Not really sure what you're implying here... I am studying to be an English teacher, should I give an automatic F to a student who can't tell the difference between then/than or their/there/they're? As harsh at it may sound, I'd say half of the guys in the NHL probably can't spell for ****. Most of these barely finisher high school. That being said, it's not because you have a good grasp of English as far as grammar goes that it means you're intelligent by any means.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Lol to those entirely discrediting what Downie has to say because of his spelling mistakes. I'm glad Downie decided to do do, the stuff about behind the scenes is important and the hockey culture has to change. Cherry is seen as this legend in Canada but he's one of the biggest sources of the problem.

I wouldn't entirely discredit what he's saying but if you're going to call someone out for being an idiot, you should at least seem like you might have passed grammar in the third grade. Otherwise, you look like a hypocritical idiot. Ppl can laugh at that but still give credence to some of the stuff he says.

Last edited:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Not really sure what you're implying here... I am studying to be an English teacher, should I give an automatic F to a student who can't tell the difference between then/than or their/there/they're? As harsh at it may sound, I'd say half of the guys in the NHL probably can't spell for ****. Most of these barely finisher high school. That being said, it's not because you have a good grasp of English as far as grammar goes that it means you're intelligent by any means.

Having a grasp of language is definitely linked with intelligence, problem solving, comprehension, etc.

Using good language is also polite and efficient since it allows someone to read and comprehend your prose in one go. Otherwise you burden someone with the task of having to edit what they read until it is fluent.

Anyway: I can't help but wonder if Downie has been hired by the brains behind the NHL concussion lawsuit to serve as an example of what can happen to a player. (!)

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Downie would have more credibility if he was still in the NHL and didn't have the track record he has as an individual and a player. Most of the Tip bashing is from a handful of Coyote fans that hate Tip and constantly bash him. Tip just signed a 4 years deal, and this is year one. He won't be fired any time soon as he was a long term hire. Owners view this as year one of the Drummond/Chayka/Tip regime.

Yeah, I'd say it's more like 80-90% Coyotes fans on this website. Not simply a handful.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Definitely ironic. True? Could be. Can't know for sure. A lot of people (myself included) believed Roy was the main problem with COL. Tippet, like Roy, could be a horrible coach or just the wrong coach for the roster but pretty hesitant to say he's holding anyone back from success.

It's the crappy culture of the front office and has been for some time.

The only thing that has changed in AZ is the game itself. DT still wants to play the same exact way as they did his first day in town. Heads down, grindfest dump-n-chase boring ass ineffective hockey. Worked when the team was nothing but a bunch of last chance veterans but he has since worn out his welcome and is now in the process of destroying the prospects drafted during those bad years. He has a worse win % than Gretzky did, a coach that literally had no system according to several players that played for him.

Joy.

No, the Coyotes had to deal with 1) working within a budget 2) The uncertanty of solid ownership 3) dealing with a Canadian media that constantly went out of its way to destroy the Team whenever they gained momentum (especially at free agency time).

The Coyotes don't have crap to work with. Everyone knows this. The difference between him and Gretzky is that Tippett didn't hire coaches who cared more about playing golf than coaching hockey (for one).

Is Downey off base here? Absolutely not. You May not like him but he's 100% correct here.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Having a grasp of language is definitely linked with intelligence, problem solving, comprehension, etc.

Using good language is also polite and efficient since it allows someone to read and comprehend your prose in one go. Otherwise you burden someone with the task of having to edit what they read until it is fluent.

Anyway: I can't help but wonder if Downie has been hired by the brains behind the NHL concussion lawsuit to serve as an example of what can happen to a player. (!)
meh most of the time grammar is just nitpicking if you're smart enough to understand that someone is using the wrong there or their.
Then obviously you have the reading comprehension to understand what they are saying.

If you have to ask did you mean this or that. Then yeah needs better grammar. If you just know they are using it wrong you're probably just being a jerk to win an argument/and are super annoying.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
meh most of the time grammar is just nitpicking if you're smart enough to understand that someone is using the wrong there or their.
Then obviously you have the reading comprehension to understand what they are saying.

If you have to ask did you mean this or that. Then yeah needs better grammar. If you just know they are using it wrong you're probably just being a jerk to win an argument/are are super annoying.

Exactly. If you're a former hockey player (or athlete), I don't expect you to be a master of the English language.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

If you have to ask did you mean this or that. Then yeah needs better grammar. If you just know they are using it wrong you're probably just being a jerk to win an argument/and are super annoying.

It's difficult to take someone seriously when they make remedial grammatical errors.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
He is right about Cherry though.
Cherry has toned down significantly in recent years but it was not right for him to label anyone with a visor as a *****. His constant making fun of European names and calling all russian and euros as dainty figure skaters was just wrong.
(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Man, you're leaving yourself open with a reply like that on the main board.

I mean, I'm not wrong though. There's a poll on HF Coyotes where people voted 46-13 in favor of firing Tippett immediately. Three who voted against aren't even Coyotes fans, so if we don't count those three (I'll be generous and subtract 6 from the pro-firing crowd), then we have roughly 40 out of 50 actualy Coyotes fans, who are in favor of firing Tippett immediately.

That's an 80% ratio. Additionally, that doesn't even include people, who are very disatisfied with Tippett, but not quite in favor of firing him yet.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
So far nobody has managed to debunk what Downie has said. Attacking his character and poor grammar doesn't debunk what he has said.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I might be biased as an Oilers fan, because I find that the Coyotes always worked their butts off in game vs the Oilers, and I gave Tippett credit for that. That made me always feel he was a guy that was able to make the absolute best with what he had. However, perhaps it had more to do with the Coyotes knowing they've had the Oilers number all these years and there is some pride attached to keeping that streak alive of 25 games in a row of taking at least a point.

I did watch a couple games the Coyotes were in recently, and they looked like garbage compared to how I perceived them against the Oilers. Wonder if I'll start to see that now too in future Oilers/Coyotes games now that the streak is dead.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I might be biased as an Oilers fan, because I find that the Coyotes always worked their butts off in game vs the Oilers, and I gave Tippett credit for that. That made me always feel he was a guy that was able to make the absolute best with what he had. However, perhaps it had more to do with the Coyotes knowing they've had the Oilers number all these years and there is some pride attached to keeping that streak alive of 25 games in a row of taking at least a point.

I did watch a couple games the Coyotes were in recently, and they looked like garbage compared to how I perceived them against the Oilers. Wonder if I'll start to see that now too in future Oilers/Coyotes games now that the streak is dead.

Even when the Coyotes were one of the worst teams in the league, they managed to play 'up' and swept the Oilers.

Folded like a cheap lawn chair against everyone else. This is the worst it has been, and the team has 100% given up on the coaches.

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
He is right about Cherry though.
Cherry has toned down significantly in recent years but it was not right for him to label anyone with a visor as a *****. His constant making fun of European names and calling all russian and euros as dainty figure skaters was just wrong.
(mod).
How is he right about Cherry being the reason he himself was a dirty POS? And I admit you're right on the visor point, and the hostility towards non-Canadians.

People played that rough style of hockey before Don, they're going to play it after Don. I agree on the xenophobia towards Europeans, my favourite player of all time is a Swede, my current favourite player is an American, and I worshiped Pavel Bure as a kid. I believe equality between the hockey powers is a good thing, and it makes tournaments such as the WJC/Olympics/World Cup more enjoyable.

So I'm not a fan of Cherry at all on the whole "THE CANADIAN WAY IS THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY", but when guys like Downie start using his name as an excuse to wash their hands of their own horrific on ice decisions that concussed and shortened careers, that's where he loses all credibility.

Steve Downie blaming Don Cherry for turning into a dirty hockey player, is honestly like the attorney's of these high school shooters that blame rap music, heavy metal and violent video games for their atrocities. It's a joke, and it's a bad excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad