Steve Downie Destroys AZ Coyotes on Twitter - Calls Tippett an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Lol, gotta love when athletes try to start improving themselves and apologize for things and people still say this. It's a no-win situation for them because they'll never be perfect like their fans.

I know this may be shocking to you, but many players do play dirty because they are basically encouraged to play that way due to the culture. It's their last resort to sticking around and making it. Doesn't make it right, but you are absolutely clueless if you think every dirty player is the way they are just because they want to hurt as many people as they can. That's usually not the case.

A lot of what he has said is correct.

He says he's remorseful, but quickly points the finger at someone else, and makes up excuses for his actions. At no point does he take responsibility for what he did. He just says that "he feels bad". Should Don Cherry apologize to Dean McAmmond for what Downie did because he says he didn't know any better? Ridiculous.

No, not every player plays the way Downie does, otherwise everyone would be getting knocked out and concussed on a daily basis.

There are plenty of players who are fringe and do everything in their power to play in the league, without playing dirty. There are chippy players who spear, hit hard, slash, what have you, without crossing the line of dangerous.

Anyway, the real issue here is that people are lauding the guy for "having character", when he's not owing up to his actions. We understand that there are players who play dirty. I also understand that people who do things like this should owe up to their actions, or at the very least keep their mouths shut.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I'm not sure why but there's zero class in that Coyotes organization. A bunch of gutless players running around throwing tantrums because they are horrible.

They need a massive culture change but it won't happen because the most gutless players happen to be young and talented (relative to that ****** roster).

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm not sure why but there's zero class in that Coyotes organization. A bunch of gutless players running around throwing tantrums because they are horrible.

They need a massive culture change but it won't happen because the most gutless players happen to be young and talented (relative to that ****** roster).

I'm not condoning anything that's happening, but that's a ****** hot take.

First off, when you throw the word tantrum around with gutless I'll assume you mean Domi, admittedly a hot head. One of their most talented players. Prone to 'tantrums'. Not gutless. Who fights if they are gutless?

Second, what are they gonna do? Not be frustrated that they're ******? Are their best players supposed to say 'we had a good roster 5 years ago and it's been torn apart, we are losing, have crap coaching, crap depth, and a cocky young gm who is destroying his own reputation, so let's just be emotionless and pretend we don't care and aren't frustrated'?

I'd rather see frustration in their play and their comments than for them to just not give a ****. Not sure how being a ****** team and being upset about it makes them gutless.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Since when is Domi Arizonas' best player?

He's not. But the point still stands you don't want your top players fighting.

But it's really not new. Anyone that's good at fighting will still fight like Iginla. (Used to be)
And basically every other star/top player has fought at least a couple times.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I liked Downie when he played for Pittsburgh. Downie gets bonus points now for calling out the xenophobic clown Don Cherry, and the nepotistic moron Colin Campbell(who has caused more harm to the NHL than someone like Downie could in 5 lifetimes).

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Oh I remember the good old times when Steve Downie was a new player in the league with the Flyers and caused so much havoc, drama & pain. I didn't quite like him but I actually thought, or feared, he would become a really good player, as in also production wise and not only intangible wise. A semi star. He became a useful player, like in Tampa, but he never really took off.

What a shame. ;)

polepoplarpope

Nov 8, 2005
Alberta.
Also, what's on these Rock em' Sock em' videos? I've never seen a full one so I don't know the full extent of what's on them, but the way Downie and others talk about Cherry, you'd think he's advocating injuring players and purposeful, reckless behavior.

A quick read of the description and short clips of them tell me that Downie is really reaching with this finger pointing bs.

What you read and saw is probably accurate.

They're mostly highlights of the previous season. This year's copy is number twenty-eight. The 2015/2016 season. Goals, saves, checks and bloopers. Plus two or three fights. Which is called Tea Time because if you don't like fights, Don suggests making yourself a cup of tea. Don has said the NHL doesn't want many fights on the videos. There are also a few highlights from Coach's Corner and a gag reel. Every round of the play-offs are also documented each year. Sometimes they have footage from seasons that are years or decades old. This year's copy has some footage (an interview) from when Don was coaching the Bruins.

The best part this year was P.K. Subban's in studio and appropriately dressed impersonation of Don Cherry which was pretty funny. "He's no Bobby Orr."

:popcorn:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Good for you Steve. Glad to see you're looking for work in the Television and Broadcast Industry. I look forward to hearing further opinions.

Just remember, if you bite the hand that feeds you enough, eventually it will run out of food.

Good luck brother!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He says he's remorseful, but quickly points the finger at someone else, and makes up excuses for his actions. At no point does he take responsibility for what he did. He just says that "he feels bad". Should Don Cherry apologize to Dean McAmmond for what Downie did because he says he didn't know any better? Ridiculous.
So how do you know it's an excuse and not the truth? Sure he should take responsibility, but when he said he wished he never played, is that not doing exactly that? He gave the reason why he played that way. Not sure what else you want from him. Like I said, most players don't play dirty because they are sociopaths.

No, not every player plays the way Downie does, otherwise everyone would be getting knocked out and concussed on a daily basis.
Awesome bud, I never said they did.

There are plenty of players who are fringe and do everything in their power to play in the league, without playing dirty. There are chippy players who spear, hit hard, slash, what have you, without crossing the line of dangerous.

Anyway, the real issue here is that people are lauding the guy for "having character", when he's not owing up to his actions. We understand that there are players who play dirty. I also understand that people who do things like this should owe up to their actions, or at the very least keep their mouths shut.
Again, I didn't say it was right. But it's time to start looking at this logically. Hockey, and football, are popular sports and a lot of it is due to people liking violence. It is part of the culture and has been for a long time. Only recently have both sports really started cracking down on dirty hits. Players are almost groomed to play like that. Not all of them obviously, but Steve Downie is making a valid point. It's time to stop crying about his character or whatever it is you have an issue with and just look at what he's saying (this goes for other people too). He isn't wrong. He's just saying that as a kid he grew up watching big borderline hits be glamorized, and that's an issue. What's the big deal with speaking the truth? Can't do it anymore without somebody getting upset with it.

It seems Downie is speaking out in hopes that this stops other players from doing the same thing. Logically speaking, this is a positive thing for the hockey community. But according to HF Boards, he needs to keep his mouth shut just because he was a dirty player. :laugh:

You people are funny. You care way too much about who the messenger is rather than the actual message. If he wants to voice out against something, that is far better than him keeping his mouth shut and never saying anything about the way he played. That shouldn't be rocket science.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's about damn time that someone calls out Tippett, even though Downie isn't calling him out for the reasons that Tippett probably deserves to be called out for.

Tippett is constantly applauded for being able to coach a stifling defense, yet the Coyotes have been bottom 5 in shots against for the last 5 or 6 years, if I'm not mistaken. I think the only seasons they were good in that category since he's been there was his first year there, all the way back in 2009-2010. They've been allowing over 30 shots against for years now.

I'm not saying Tippett shouldn't be given another chance to coach elsewhere in the league if he's let go, but it's CLEARLY not working in Arizona anymore. And if it is working, that just means he can't coach defense anymore and probably doesn't deserve another head coaching job in the NHL. That's why I don't understand all the ''Chayka is a top 5 GM'' talk at the beginning of the season. Although, I'm not sure Chayka is the one really pulling the strings there, I think Tippett is really the one in charge there. He HAS to be, if he got a 4 year extension this year, with how little results they've gotten in the last half decade+ with him there and his ineptitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad