Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
downie is a buffoon

but cherry is

among other things

xenophobic, borderline racist and a narcissistic sycophant who should have been put out to pasture years ago

Oh I don't disagree with Cherry in that respect. What I don't agree with is pointing the finger at someone else for your own ****** behavior.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He is right about Cherry though.
Cherry has toned down significantly in recent years but it was not right for him to label anyone with a visor as a *****. His constant making fun of European names and calling all russian and euros as dainty figure skaters was just wrong.
(mod)

Well Cherry was not wrong about guys wearing visors, esp. if you had someone like Claude Lemieux who was the poster boy for it. I mean even after his career Claude said he made it a mission to be a pest and have people lose their minds and then would hide and not respond to his actions. And wearing a visor was part of it. Now it's a different time cause the NHL are more intolerable toward people not wearing visors. You have to have one when you join the NHL. In many ways, it has not made the league better.

Also if Don was so wrong about Europeans/Russians why did they go ahead themselves and completely changed their training and style of play? When AO came to the league, Cherry almost changed completely his view on them. With one exception when AO showed off after a goal and from then on AO stopped bragging after goals.

Remember also that back in the day, the way Russians viewed hockey was completely different from how North Americans viewed it and they were trained differentely. North Americans viewed hockey like war and leaving your heart on the ice. While in Russia it was more like amateur sport, like training for any other amateur sport for a big event like the Olympics where it keeps that well-meaning sporting feel amongst all nations. It was almost like an artform or ballet for men. And I'm not saying this in a negative way. Everything they did was based on skills. Also since then the NHL only got the most talented Russians while from North American they got tough guys, grinders, etc....So it helped perpetuated the perception of Russians being soft. Eventually you got guys like Emelin, etc...

What happened over time was Russians and Europeans got stronger, bigger and tougher and North Americans got softer by the diminutions of hits and fights in the minor leagues. So you have more similar players coming from all over.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
They could have just as easily said 'basic' as opposed to 'remedial' and accomplished the same goal. Writing in a completely different manner than how you, and most other (educated), people speak in real life is limiting...if you can't tell that now then maybe time will help

Being 67 means I have less time left than the overwhelming majority of HF posters... :cry:

But more seriously, English is my second language and while making errors from time to time, I try my utmost to use correct spelling and grammar.

But again, being 67, it's most likely something I learned to do during the Eisenhower/St-Laurent/Diefenbaker era.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I still love Downie from his Avs days

He put up good numbers, despite his suspensions and penalty minutes. Those numbers remained consistent during playoffs too. It's unfortunate his message is lost due to his reputation as a goon and poor grammar.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Pretty much this. I'm no fan of Downie, but I'm less of a fan of Cherry and the absolute garbage that he spews sometimes. The more people that call him out, the better.
Cherry is a little outdated with his sterotypes

but most of the time the dude hits the nail on the head, he knows hockey. Gotta give him credit for that

cherry isnt even racist because he loves off guys like radulov and kovachuk who play physical and can score

he liked bure too

Marre

Mar 10, 2004
There is a correlation between reading, writing, the ability to articulate and intelligence. It is something that does matter, and people that dismiss it as "something that doesn't matter" just make me scratch my head. I guess not everyone values it, but don't expect to be taken seriously if you can't post your thoughts and ideas coherently.

But what has intelligence having to do with the matter? Maybe Downie is not a sharpest guy, but that makes what he says about Cherry even more relevant. People, who are not the sharpest are easily manipulated by characters like Cherry. They do not think twice, but assume that because this respected hockey icon says so, it has to be so. That to be a real man you are supposed to cause concussions to other people and yourself and not to think about real life consequences, but just that fans have their good time and you yourself appear 'tough.'

Smarter people are able to be more critical readers and listeners. Downie may be a smart guy despite not so great grammar, but if he is not, that gives even more noteworthiness to what he is saying about influence cherrys of this world are having to hockey players like him.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
What actually started off really pouty turned out to be quite enlightened and humble. He admits that what he did was wrong and shows remorse. Speaking up for what he sees as wrong should not be discouraged. That takes character and he's alright in my book

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Cherry is a little outdated with his sterotypes

but most of the time the dude hits the nail on the head, he knows hockey. Gotta give him credit for that

cherry isnt even racist because he loves off guys like radulov and kovachuk who play physical and can score

he liked bure too

Sorry, but the notion that someone can like __ or ___ therefore he is not racist is pretty absurd.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Anyone see what Corey Hirsch tweeted to Downie? I think he deleted it, but Downie replied to it.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
how is he racist?

On Russians: " "I've been trying to tell you for so long about the Russians. What kind of people they are and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism."

On Ron Maclean eating Seal meat ""What are you, a savage, a barbarian?"

Labeling European players as "cowards" for not understanding the "Canadian way" of hockey.

Can you imagine if some baseball commentator made a statement on how Japanese and Dominicans are ruining the game of Baseball? It's absurd, this guy needs to go.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Downie made some eye-opening comments, but man he doesn't come off as the sharpest tool in the shed himself.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Am example of one of those please.

I don't expect you to articulate a response. Those who throw those types of words do so because their not smart enough to think for themselves. How about let the white guilt go in 2017

Might be a good idea to learn how to properly string a sentence together before calling out the intelligence of others.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Guys he watched Rock Em Sock Em. It is any coincidence he tried to injure someone every time he stepped on the ice?????

I know even in Beer League I am filled with a bloodthirsty rage, I blame my parents though, it was my only guaranteed Christmas gift.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
What actually started off really pouty turned out to be quite enlightened and humble. He admits that what he did was wrong and shows remorse. Speaking up for what he sees as wrong should not be discouraged. That takes character and he's alright in my book

Oh please. He blames others for his current predicament. Cry me a river Steve.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
You forgot the comma after poor. You're making this site look bad.

The decorum of this site we few posters had put our best effort to sustain is going down the tubes. People! Please mind your commas! And if you must post on Twitter, please use complete sentences. Despite the fact that 140 characters and the need to hashtag each tweet mean that you can never string the simplest of sentences together in a single tweet, the need for decorum overrides any imperative to write anything with a message.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
But what has intelligence having to do with the matter? Maybe Downie is not a sharpest guy, but that makes what he says about Cherry even more relevant. People, who are not the sharpest are easily manipulated by characters like Cherry. They do not think twice, but assume that because this respected hockey icon says so, it has to be so. That to be a real man you are supposed to cause concussions to other people and yourself and not to think about real life consequences, but just that fans have their good time and you yourself appear 'tough.'

Smarter people are able to be more critical readers and listeners. Downie may be a smart guy despite not so great grammar, but if he is not, that gives even more noteworthiness to what he is saying about influence cherrys of this world are having to hockey players like him.

My original argument is directed at those who think spelling, grammar and articulation "aren't a big deal" or "don't matter". I'm not some grammar nazi, but I understand that it does matter. Anyway, I've already discussed my opinion on this in earlier posts.

As for the bolded, that is a terrible argument. Stupidity is never an excuse for ****** behavior. He needs to be held accountable and owe up to what he did. He's a grown ass man who should know right from wrong.

If he's stupid enough to not comprehend what constitutes as dangerous play, or even willing to put someone else's life in danger to further his career, then he has no place in this league, period.

Umm yeah, he's neither of those things and he has zero character. He states that he thinks about what he did to McAmmond every day, which comes off as remorseful, but doesn't take the blame for what he did. He makes it about something else entirely by pointing the finger at someone else for his reckless, dangerous actions. He also brings up the horse **** argument "I did what I did to play". Someone with even an ounce of character would owe up to their ****** actions.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Also, what's on these Rock em' Sock em' videos? I've never seen a full one so I don't know the full extent of what's on them, but the way Downie and others talk about Cherry, you'd think he's advocating injuring players and purposeful, reckless behavior.

A quick read of the description and short clips of them tell me that Downie is really reaching with this finger pointing bs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Oh please. He blames others for his current predicament. Cry me a river Steve.
Lol, gotta love when athletes try to start improving themselves and apologize for things and people still say this. It's a no-win situation for them because they'll never be perfect like their fans.

I know this may be shocking to you, but many players do play dirty because they are basically encouraged to play that way due to the culture. It's their last resort to sticking around and making it. Doesn't make it right, but you are absolutely clueless if you think every dirty player is the way they are just because they want to hurt as many people as they can. That's usually not the case.

A lot of what he has said is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany