Steve Downie Destroys AZ Coyotes on Twitter - Calls Tippett an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
He's not wrong about young players not buying what Cherry and his ilk and selling. Just very weird to come out now with all of this at once.

Watching Downie here with the Lightning you could definitely get the sense there were times that he just lost it. Hope he's doing well personally.

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
As someone who has suffered from repeated concussions... sounds an awful lot like a confused rage he's going through right now, bit of incoherence, not thinking of the repercussions. I hope not though, I really hope he's just letting off steam or something.

Also it's unfortunate so many fans are still blind to the plight of the grinder/fighter and will paint this man with one broad stroke all the while ignoring some of the valid points he brings.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Grammar police everywhere in this thread... seriously, its twitter... get a grip.

Regardless, it's not like he's wrong.

See, this is the problem. So many people these days have no standards. Who cares if it's twitter? Command your own language, for pete's sake!

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
What a clown. Just read his other stuff about his hits and Don Cherry. He's blaming Don Cherry for him being a dirty ass player? This guy is a clown.
Well, no. Is he not allowed to learn from his mistakes? Don Cherry has created all sorts of garbage by spouting his violent rhetoric. Downie is finally admitting he was wrong and people hate him for it? More than a little shameful when the guy is telling the truth.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tippett has been there for a long time. He is a good coach and if fired would quickly have success in his next job in short order.

Coaches go stale. Even the good ones. As it stands, he's stale, boring, and not a good fit for a rebuilding team.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Steve Downie is basically the term "Game Misconduct" personified. Picking on the Coyotes is a bit too easy, just like most fights Downie fought.

"Stumbling blindly through the midnight desert, the Arizona Coyote, stopped and perched cautiously on a cliff's edge for a better vantage point. Might be able to spot some prospective season ticket holders. It knew it might not survive the season, what with it's boring brand, stubborn mule of a head coach, and the inevitable Mike Smith groin injury. It's survival instincts maintained that a 26 year old would be the right man to see the pack through. The Coyote rose it's snout into the cool night, detecting what could be a whiff of another NHL franchise in the Desert. Letting out a low soulful howl, the Coyote dashed into the brush."

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Coaches go stale. Even the good ones. As it stands, he's stale, boring, and not a good fit for a rebuilding team.

Coyotes have been building/rebuilding for the last 10 plus years and he did a pretty good job for a while. Point taken though and I agree.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Domi is such an idiot, that interference hit he gave was dangerous and just plain stupid, he deserved to get filled in for it.

I said it when he was in junior and I will say it again - he has talent but too much of his fathers hot head. He easily gets taken out of the game by childish temper tantrums.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Tippett is much more than a coach with the Coyotes now, he's more like a Czar. They dumped Maloney and handed the keys to the franchise to Tippett. I'm not sure that was a great idea.

It's fine if your small star scorer fights once, but you do your best as a coach to make it rare. The outcome of his fisticuffs speak for themselves.

The reality is that Tippett is Chaykas puppet. He tells him who he wants to see and who he wants scratched. Some Coaches are meant to just be there during a rebuild as a reference point but Chayka is the one thats pulling the strings.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Domi is such an idiot, that interference hit he gave was dangerous and just plain stupid, he deserved to get filled in for it.

I said it when he was in junior and I will say it again - he has talent but too much of his fathers hot head. He easily gets taken out of the game by childish temper tantrums.

He is exactly what that team needs. [MOD] Name someone else other than Doan that might stick up for another guy?

Last edited by a moderator:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Downie would have more credibility if he was still in the NHL and didn't have the track record he has as an individual and a player. Most of the Tip bashing is from a handful of Coyote fans that hate Tip and constantly bash him. Tip just signed a 4 years deal, and this is year one. He won't be fired any time soon as he was a long term hire. Owners view this as year one of the Drummond/Chayka/Tip regime.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
This is one of those times where Steve, Dave and Max all look ridiculous. Steve is bitter that his career is over and couldn't live up to the expectations but he isn't wrong about the Arizona organization and Dave Tippett. Max thought he would get away with trying to take a run at a tough guy and be like his dad and failed miserably. Steve is also right on Don Cherry and the culture but it has been changing and Don Cherry can't do anything to stop it.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Lol to those entirely discrediting what Downie has to say because of his spelling mistakes. I'm glad Downie decided to do do, the stuff about behind the scenes is important and the hockey culture has to change. Cherry is seen as this legend in Canada but he's one of the biggest sources of the problem.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Haha so Downie "leaked" the real story behind the John Scott trade.

Campbell treated him like an ******* until Scott told him off? I guess I'll believe that more than the NHL stepped in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad