Injury Report: Stepan Broken Jaw. No timeline. Prust susp. 2 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW Kevin Pollock--one of the refs--saw the Prust hit on Stepan and thought it was good. The NBC commentators McGuire and Olczyk had a big problem with it. So on the one end there's the official and on the other end there's the NBC NHL approved hockey commentators and they're completely at odds.

Now according to Prust in the conversation he had with Quintal to explain his part--Mr. Quintal told him the only thing wrong with the hit was it was too late. So apparently you can blindside people and hit them high enough so long as you don't hit the head area first but it's okay on the follow through on the hit. Mr. Quintal is new to this--perhaps he's uncomfortable laying down the law--he doesn't want the suspended guy to be mad at him afterwards. That's just a guess.

One might be forgiven for thinking that the NHL is back to caring less about head injuries. Or maybe just concussions count and Stepan is lucky in that regard--that he's not concussed.

To me the Prust hit was a deliberate and malicious attempt to injure. If the NHL is going to do nothing about hits like this then I'm sorry but teams are going to have to take care of their own. Even that can be problematic--witness the vigilante justice meted out on Brooks Orpik by Shawn Thornton and the league really did come down on Thornton like a ton of bricks for something that Orpik started with a cheap shot on Loui Eriksson. Perhaps instead of a goon we need a serious cheap shot artist. Someone who is always on the edge of illegality. Better to give than to receive. Maybe hire Orpik in the off season? He's a UFA. Matt Cooke anybody?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
FWIW Kevin Pollock--one of the refs--saw the Prust hit on Stepan and thought it was good. The NBC commentators McGuire and Olczyk had a big problem with it. So on the one end there's the official and on the other end there's the NBC NHL approved hockey commentators and they're completely at odds.

Now according to Prust in the conversation he had with Quintal to explain his part--Mr. Quintal told him the only thing wrong with the hit was it was too late. So apparently you can blindside people and hit them high enough so long as you don't hit the head area first but it's okay on the follow through on the hit. Mr. Quintal is new to this--perhaps he's uncomfortable laying down the law--he doesn't want the suspended guy to be mad at him afterwards. That's just a guess.

One might be forgiven for thinking that the NHL is back to caring less about head injuries. Or maybe just concussions count and Stepan is lucky in that regard--that he's not concussed.

To me the Prust hit was a deliberate and malicious attempt to injure. If the NHL is going to do nothing about hits like this then I'm sorry but teams are going to have to take care of their own. Even that can be problematic--witness the vigilante justice meted out on Brooks Orpik by Shawn Thornton and the league really did come down on Thornton like a ton of bricks for something that Orpik started with a cheap shot on Loui Eriksson. Perhaps instead of a goon we need a serious cheap shot artist. Better to give than to receive. Maybe hire Orpik in the off season? He's a UFA. Matt Cooke anybody?

No, I don't want to play that style of hockey. And your point about retaliation and the league coming hard is right on point. The players can't police the game anymore because the league does NOT want that and will punish you, but the league will not satisfactorily punish the players who originally do these things. So the end result is a #1C out indefinitely (or not, who knows) and a 4th liner suspended 2 games.

I also don't agree that it was a "deliberate and malicious" attempt to injure. He may have wanted to ring his bell, but I can't be certain he wanted to injure him. At best, it was reckless as ****, though.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

To me the Prust hit was a deliberate and malicious attempt to injure. If the NHL is going to do nothing about hits like this then I'm sorry but teams are going to have to take care of their own. Even that can be problematic--witness the vigilante justice meted out on Brooks Orpik by Shawn Thornton and the league really did come down on Thornton like a ton of bricks for something that Orpik started with a cheap shot on Loui Eriksson. Perhaps instead of a goon we need a serious cheap shot artist. Someone who is always on the edge of illegality. Better to give than to receive. Maybe hire Orpik in the off season? He's a UFA. Matt Cooke anybody?

It's going to take a similar situation like the one in the NFL, where players file a class action suit against the league. It won't take much to sink this league either. They don't have the resources that other leagues have. It will serve them right!

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's going to take a similar situation like the one in the NFL, where players file a class action suit against the league. It won't take much to sink this league either. They don't game the resources that other leagues have. It will serve them right!

Actually there are two class action suits against the NHL going on right now--of players forced out of the game due to concussion injuries. Maybe the NHL feels very confident they will squash them but IMO hits like the other night are not helpful to the NHL. Stepan could easily have been concussed on that--not only by the force of the hit but by the fall afterwards. It amounts pretty much to the same thing--only dependent on the degree of the effect on the player afterwards.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
No, I don't want to play that style of hockey. And your point about retaliation and the league coming hard is right on point. The players can't police the game anymore because the league does NOT want that and will punish you, but the league will not satisfactorily punish the players who originally do these things. So the end result is a #1C out indefinitely (or not, who knows) and a 4th liner suspended 2 games.

I also don't agree that it was a "deliberate and malicious" attempt to injure. He may have wanted to ring his bell, but I can't be certain he wanted to injure him. At best, it was reckless as ****, though.

Do I want Cooke or Orpik?--not really. The fact of the matter though is we're learning that hiring a cheap shot artist can be a tactical move. As long as he's willing to pay the occasional fine and serve a suspension now and again you can use him in situations to knock this player or that out of the lineup. Considering that should this series go beyond 5 games Prust will be back and there's no guarantee that we'll see Stepan until next year--if that's the case it's almost like you've traded a 4th line plug for a borderline 1st line center and also got another 4th line plug bonus (Carcillo) at the most critical point in the season--and you get your 4th line plug back in two games. Maybe if necessary he'll take someone else out. Good deal. If Stepan does come back--full cage and jaw wired--I think it's best to assume he's not going to play nearly as well as he was. So there's that too.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I really do think they punish based on concussion factor, which is an issue. Injury shouldn't be a consideration at all, let alone specifically head related injury. There isn't any consistency in these decisions and the result is exactly what's been mentioned many times over: we're out our 1C and they lose a potential healthy scratch. These suspensions do absolutely nothing to diminish these types of hits. The Habs don't care, Prust doesn't either.

All that said, I really don't think there was intent to injure. Just like I don't think Kreider was accidentally on purpose. I do think Prust was trying to get in our heads and was likely going to run around doing it all game. Shame he injured Step on his first silly play. Should have gotten called and resulted in a pp for us as well.

And then 10 on Carbomb for barely pushing against a ref. come on...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's going to take a similar situation like the one in the NFL, where players file a class action suit against the league. It won't take much to sink this league either. They don't game the resources that other leagues have. It will serve them right!

Actually there are two class action suits against the NHL going on right now--of players forced out of the game due to concussion injuries. Maybe the NHL feels very confident they will squash them but IMO hits like the other night are not helpful to the NHL. Stepan could easily have been concussed on that--not only by the force of the hit but by the fall afterwards. It amounts pretty much to the same thing--only dependent on the degree of the effect on the player afterwards.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
Do I want Cooke or Orpik?--not really. The fact of the matter though is we're learning that hiring a cheap shot artist can be a tactical move. As long as he's willing to pay the occasional fine and serve a suspension now and again you can use him in situations to knock this player or that out of the lineup. Considering that should this series go beyond 5 games Prust will be back and there's no guarantee that we'll see Stepan until next year--if that's the case it's almost like you've traded a 4th line plug for a borderline 1st line center and also got another 4th line plug bonus (Carcillo) at the most critical point in the season--and you get your 4th line plug back in two games. Maybe if necessary he'll take someone else out. Good deal. If Stepan does come back--full cage and jaw wired--I think it's best to assume he's not going to play nearly as well as he was. So there's that too.

The NHL's discipline system has been out of whack for years. The punishment always never fits the crime. Like you said, the NHL is basically "training" players that if you're willing to take one for the team, there's a place for you in the NHL.

Also, someone posted a quote from Georges Laraque's facebook, I believe, that he had commented about the Kreider incident. One thing he mentioned that I thought was interesting, was that when he was a player, he was given the green light by the coach to seek retribution on a goaltender. He ended up being fined for it which was COVERED BY THE TEAM. This was when he played for Pittsburgh, if I remember correctly.

That's like having someone ELSE pay YOUR parking ticket. If these players aren't even personally paying their fines, what kind of accountability is there?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
These suspensions should have a fixed X amount of game irregardless of injury. Then if a player is hurt they should have to sit out however long the injured player is out.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
These suspensions should have a fixed X amount of game irregardless of injury. Then if a player is hurt they should have to sit out however long the injured player is out.

I forgot who but someone mentioned that if an opposing player deliberately took out another player, either:

A.) That player remains suspended until the injured player returns to the line-up, or;

B.) The team suffers by forfeiting a roster spot.

That would be quite something.

Cake or Death

The NHL's discipline system has been out of whack for years. The punishment always never fits the crime. Like you said, the NHL is basically "training" players that if you're willing to take one for the team, there's a place for you in the NHL.

Also, someone posted a quote from Georges Laraque's facebook, I believe, that he had commented about the Kreider incident. One thing he mentioned that I thought was interesting, was that when he was a player, he was given the green light by the coach to seek retribution on a goaltender. He ended up being fined for it which was COVERED BY THE TEAM. This was when he played for Pittsburgh, if I remember correctly.

That's like having someone ELSE pay YOUR parking ticket. If these players aren't even personally paying their fines, what kind of accountability is there?

It was Pittsburgh, the coach that gave him the green light was Michel Therrien

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I forgot who but someone mentioned that if an opposing player deliberately took out another player, either:

A.) That player remains suspended until the injured player returns to the line-up, or;

B.) The team suffers by forfeiting a roster spot.

That would be quite something.

The league needs something w some teeth in order to limit the amounts of these dangerous plays.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
The league needs something w some teeth in order to limit the amounts of these dangerous plays.

Don't wait for an injury to drop the ban hammer and be more severe with the punishments. None of this "well, he's a first time offender." Take a look at the cash cow that is the NFL and copy accordingly.

In the NFL, if a player purposely targets the head or rams into a defenseless player, they in all likelihood will get a 1-4 game suspension. One missed game in the NFL is 6.25% of the season, as well as 6.25% of the player's salary.

Cake or Death

Thus ****ing coach needs to be investigated by the league! Remember what happened the the Saints? This is absolutely dispicable if true!

It's on Laraque's facebook page, in French and English. Frankly, what he said didn't bother me. Someone repeatedly runs your goalie I have no problem running their goalie or one of their players. What is uncool, and what the league should be looking at and fining, is the comments like knowing where Brass is injured. You want to project an image that saying stuff like that and spearing guys in the jewels is acceptable, but you fine guys for spraying water? It's mind blowing.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Larry Brooks had a great column in the post today regarding a league investigation of Thierry the whiner's comments.

Honestly, as mad as we all are, and as much of an immature ***** Michel has been the entire series, Brooks is starting to reach Defcon 1 levels of crying himself.

The hit is over, the damage is done and even if they do go out and re-injure Brassard the league will NEVER EVER in a million years investigate a club for putting out "bounties" on players or trying to injure anyone. It's just not going to happen.

The only response is for the Rangers to take justice in to their own hands and WIN THE ****ING SERIES. End.

Edit: Also, lol @ banning a ref from the rest of the series. Is Brooks new to the NHL or? The league's personal guard is never going to get punished. The NHL does their own business on the ice through the refs and these guys are as protected as they come. The idea of the NHL punishing or fining a ref is over the top absurd. Seriously.

Zaggs

Apr 20, 2014
Honestly, as mad as we all are, and as much of an immature ***** Michel has been the entire series, Brooks is starting to reach Defcon 1 levels of crying himself.

The hit is over, the damage is done and even if they do go out and re-injure Brassard the league will NEVER EVER in a million years investigate a club for putting out "bounties" on players or trying to injure anyone. It's just not going to happen.

The only response is for the Rangers to take justice in to their own hands and WIN THE ****ING SERIES. End.

Edit: Also, lol @ banning a ref from the rest of the series. Is Brooks new to the NHL or? The league's personal guard is never going to get punished. The NHL does their own business on the ice through the refs and these guys are as protected as they come. The idea of the NHL punishing or fining a ref is over the top absurd. Seriously.

Course the league won't due anything. If Driscoll isn't refing a game 6 I'd by truly amazed. BUT, the more they decided to act like jackasses, the more physical players are going to get. Maybe to the point of some 4th winger just called up from the NHL might just fight them. That might be the only deterrent to actions such as driscoll.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

I heard Prust apologized. He's probably sorry he failed in that he intended that hit to cause a concussion.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I really do think they punish based on concussion factor, which is an issue. Injury shouldn't be a consideration at all, let alone specifically head related injury. There isn't any consistency in these decisions and the result is exactly what's been mentioned many times over: we're out our 1C and they lose a potential healthy scratch. These suspensions do absolutely nothing to diminish these types of hits. The Habs don't care, Prust doesn't either.

All that said, I really don't think there was intent to injure. Just like I don't think Kreider was accidentally on purpose. I do think Prust was trying to get in our heads and was likely going to run around doing it all game. Shame he injured Step on his first silly play. Should have gotten called and resulted in a pp for us as well.

And then 10 on Carbomb for barely pushing against a ref. come on...

My theory is this: Canadiens are showing a pattern of targeting our centers. In game one it was Brassard going down in the first five minutes of that game. Game three, in the first five minutes again, they target Steps. This team is playing like a bunch of thugs. I'm thinking Richards will be next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad