Speculation: status of our D post Deangelo

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I smell a stinky rat. This is ALL Quinn's fault. Not sure how much HIS bosses had to do with this if any (his benching), but seems to me they "goated him". It was to the detriment of the team that he got benched to begin with. Yes, he couldve handled it better, but dont blame him for being held more accountable than literally everyone else. He is/wqs the scapegoat and seems they wanted OUT of a big contract that "if indeed" they didnt want him......should have NEVER signed him to begin with. All the bullcrap that surrounds him IS his doing, but that should never have anything to do with his contract.
He IS an American and believes in what he believes. I support him for that, I AM A VETERAN and want nothing MORE than the best for OUR country. He has that RIGHT.

I had better NOT find out that our organization did him any more dirty than what is written already, true or false as it is.
This is MY stand, and maybe I will think MUCH LESS of the team that I have supported for 50+ years.
I'm hating on QUINN, and disliking Gorton & JD much more than I ever would have thought. This looks and smells like a bullying, and pretty sure TV and RADIO will jump on the anti-Tony D. Bandwagon.

Our Rangers just blew a really good and efficient PP. Congrats.

TBH the entire situation left a bad taste in my mouth. I am NOT surprised ADA blew up his career with the Rangers. I always knew he was one step away from blowing himself up and for that reason I didn't want the Rangers to sign him long-term 2 seasons ago, or this past off-season. I am surprised that he blew himself up in this fashion.

I feel like Quinn has been trying to figure out a way to get rid of ADA for a while and he took what amounted to 2 non-issues and made them mortal sins. Taking a bad penalty, ok it was a bad penalty. Bench the guy for the rest of the game. When did Slamming the penalty box door become this taboo thing? We have seen it before countless times by other players throughout the history of the game without issue. To my knowledge, ADA didn't break any rules or committed an offense that warranted a 2 game benching.

The other side of that coin is that Quinn was treating ADA like a parent would a child and give an inch on this he takes a mile. That really doesn't sit well with me either. This situation seems entirely engineered by Quinn, with possible involvement from Groton to push this kid out the door for whatever reason, IMO, it's mostly personal.

Groton comes out and says Tony couldn't get over the 2 game benching. The question I have is why couldn't he get over it. What did he feel was happening and why weren't his concerns addressed? It sounds like Groton had a one-way conversation with him and told him to f*** off.

To see all the fake news being thrown around out there by one person, in particular, to continue to stir things up makes it that much worse. I don't care what JD, JG, or DQ say. All the rumors and false stories allowed them to make this move in the hopes that it will all just go away once they set the record straight.

Shockingly, ADA as far as I know has been pretty quiet about things. I am curious what his side of the story is and I would like to hear from those that were actually there. It's doubtful any of that will happen at this juncture.

Up until now, I have been holding then online on Quinn keeping his job. That has changed a bit. I am down on him right now. You could see tonight he was very vocal on the bench in a way I haven't seen him in some time. Now that his favorite whipping boy is gone he has no more excuses, and I am curious to see if he starts to single someone else out.

I am also down on Groton too. He winds up trading Stepan away for virtually NOTHING. JD looked a bit worse for wear tonight. He didn't hire these guys and he has to be thinking maybe it's time to re-evaluate the entire heriracry. I think he would be wise to do so. At least keep the options open.

Hopefully, we can all move on and tonight starts the long winning streak. However, the questions of what happened in that tunnel and in the days before will still be there.

LGR
NYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'd refer people to Edge's explanation of what happened. Basically Tony was being warned not just about on ice but off ice in the locker room issues and refused to back down. A lot of his teammates weren't interested in his version of PolySci 101. He then had to be dragged off Georgiev.

If you want to be a hockey player be a f***ing hockey player. All this stupid twitter and podcast bullshit became a distraction for him. He can go to town on that when his career is over. His on ice play this year sucked--his defensive play sucked and you know what okay he wasn't on the 1st power play unit. It's not a reason to pout. It's a reason to play better and harder. You see Adam Fox?---he bears down and runs with his opportunities.

A last point on equivalence. No one really knows whether DeAngelo or Georgiev threw a first punch at the other. What we kind of know is that Alex hasn't been an issue for the rest of his teammates and that Tony has and that what set their confrontation off was a remark made by Tony.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
No one has really mentioned this but what if DeAngelo went in front of all his teammates, coaches, and team management and admitted everything was his fault and he wanted one final opportunity to salvage his career after having had the last 24-48 hours to reflect on his actions.

Heartfelt apologies and a real will to take responsibility and prove that you're willing to work to be better would no doubt fix this in the long run. Can ADA be that big of a man? #Doubt.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
The irony that fans of a sport that gives you 5 minutes for punching an opponent as many times as you can want to throw a guy off the team for punching a teammate once. These are hockey players. They don't back down when challenged. That's not a switch you throw when you see a jersey. That's how you're wired. So two teammates got into it. Everyone's heard the story of Eric Lindros mystery concussion at the hands of a "still unknown AHL callup". We saw Probert and Primeau go full tilt in practice. It's not the way you want things to be on a regular basis but the team isn't doing well and tensions are high. I don't agree woth throwing ADA off the squad over this of he got punched first. He has a smart mouth. I don't know what was said. But if it wasn't on topic with other shit he's been warned for in the past, this doesn't seem fair, and it's terrible asset management. Youll be lucky to get ten cents on the dollar for him now.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
lol, yeah ok. Strong position which you never mentioned until now yet you “knew” while he still received a contract just south of $10 million.
Yes, that is where the hypocrisy is. Very decent contract for 2 years, and then a complete turnabout? They KNEW everything he brought OFF the ice, and still signed him. Tony "should have" heeded the final warning, no doubt. If that is ME, I would be on my best behavior. He obviously acted like a child and rebelled. THAT is what is wrong on his behalf. They WERE his employer and pushed the envelope. He literally FORCED their hand, but make no mistake, I believe the Rangers simply changed their collective "minds", (toward defense?) as they see k'Andre, Lindgren and Fox as potential stars (if not already) and more coming soon. Less on offense, more on defense AND this was the easiest way OUT.
On the bright side, shouldn't this open up money for Buch?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Six months before DeAngelo was traded here, I was talking about how he would be a better fit in this market as opposed to ARI. The whole situation was similar to Avery, not all players do well in all markets. If Tony was Tony in ARI, he would have had protests outside his home last year. The world's perception of socially acceptable behavior has changed in the last couple of years. There are other Tony's in the workplace today. The difference is they were starting to enter the workforce in the last 18 months since they turn pro after college.

When a team needs to collaborate as unit, regardless of their profession, there is a level of synchronicity that's needed to perform at a higher level. Meaning to be greater than the sum of your parts. That's a byproduct of teammates coming together, to achieve a collective goal, and to meet their individual responsibilities with a sense of purpose.

That is very hard to put into place, or establish when you have to constantly deal with repetitive issues that require acts of remediation. This is a larger social issue, one that typically doesn't affect millionaires, but boy oh boy does it affect society. I posted about this in the past, but you are getting gen-z into the workforce. These kids grew up with iPhones in middle school. Wait till you get babies with iPads.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Finally got around to watching the presser.

That was the most awkward and uncomfortable press conference for the Rangers I’ve ever seen.

It was obvious both Gorton and JD skirted around a lot of questions. They said no that his social media use wasn’t part of the decision making but it had to be. Not sure how you would come out and say that publicly though without putting a political stamp on the organization.

There was certainly a lot that went into making this move. But I think everything is out there for us to know why. He wasn’t good for the room. He was given multiple chances. He didn’t quit and now he’s off the team. This is all on Tony. Unfortunate situation. Move on.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
The irony that fans of a sport that gives you 5 minutes for punching an opponent as many times as you can want to throw a guy off the team for punching a teammate once. These are hockey players. They don't back down when challenged. That's not a switch you throw when you see a jersey. That's how you're wired. So two teammates got into it. Everyone's heard the story of Eric Lindros mystery concussion at the hands of a "still unknown AHL callup". We saw Probert and Primeau go full tilt in practice. It's not the way you want things to be on a regular basis but the team isn't doing well and tensions are high. I don't agree woth throwing ADA off the squad over this of he got punched first. He has a smart mouth. I don't know what was said. But if it wasn't on topic with other shit he's been warned for in the past, this doesn't seem fair, and it's terrible asset management. Youll be lucky to get ten cents on the dollar for him now.

You're putting too much emphasis on this altercation as being the main driver of him being waived when it's obvious things have been snowballing for a while now and this was just the cherry on top.

I really thought ADA had turned a corner last season but some people just aren't able to leave their ego at the door for the sake of something more important. His one good season (offensively) is nowhere near enough to warrant having to deal with a ticking time bomb day to day. That kind of stuff wears teams down and is distracting from actual hockey stuff.

I think people are overestimating his value as well. Do you I think he'll get a second chance somewhere? Yes, but it's either going to be on a shitty team grasping for straws or a team that has sufficient leadership to keep this guy from being a distraction. I'm leaning towards the former.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Remember when Hags Brass and Zucc was over here posting BFF videos? Different times

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
You're putting too much emphasis on this altercation as being the main driver of him being waived when it's obvious things have been snowballing for a while now and this was just the cherry on top.

I really thought ADA had turned a corner last season but some people just aren't able to leave their ego at the door for the sake of something more important. His one good season (offensively) is nowhere near enough to warrant having to deal with a ticking time bomb day to day. That kind of stuff wears teams down and is distracting from actual hockey stuff.

I think people are overestimating his value as well. Do you I think he'll get a second chance somewhere? Yes, but it's either going to be on a shitty team grasping for straws or a team that has sufficient leadership to keep this guy from being a distraction. I'm leaning towards the former.
Ok, but admit, ADA isn't the sugar coat guy. So why does JJ move to golden boy when he's a disaster but ADA sits for two games for taking bad penalties? The line is clear here where certain players get tough love and other just get love. To turn a blind eye to this to favor a guy who has not earned anything with this group is blatant favoritism with no explanation. Lemieux playing his ass off blocking two shots, hobbling to the bench, takes a penalty? Benched. Brendan Smith, sat for a whole period. Kakko forgotten about. Tell me the last time a coach forgot a #2OA was on his bench. I think DQ is over his head and needs to go back to drawing up post game frat parties. I was giving him a chance but I thunk he's losing the team.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Is there a talented young/young-ish center with "attitude" problems we can swap him with ?

doubt when you sign high and put the kid on waivers yet passed on the deadline when he, Strome, Fast and Kreider were at their peaks.

Love how management says “we’re building a team here” yet two of the four names above are already gone and doubt Strome is long term while Kreider’s contract might lose the Rangers Buch (and if not him, others without question). They’re building a cap and asset allocation mess

Last edited:

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Six months before DeAngelo was traded here, I was talking about how he would be a better fit in this market as opposed to ARI. The whole situation was similar to Avery, not all players do well in all markets. If Tony was Tony in ARI, he would have had protests outside his home last year. The world's perception of socially acceptable behavior has changed in the last couple of years. There are other Tony's in the workplace today. The difference is they were starting to enter the workforce in the last 18 months since they turn pro after college.

When a team needs to collaborate as unit, regardless of their profession, there is a level of synchronicity that's needed to perform at a higher level. Meaning to be greater than the sum of your parts. That's a byproduct of teammates coming together, to achieve a collective goal, and to meet their individual responsibilities with a sense of purpose.

That is very hard to put into place, or establish when you have to constantly deal with repetitive issues that require acts of remediation. This is a larger social issue, one that typically doesn't affect millionaires, but boy oh boy does it affect society. I posted about this in the past, but you are getting gen-z into the workforce. These kids grew up with iPhones in middle school. Wait till you get babies with iPads.

The worlds perception has not changed one bit, the difference is that people have new platforms to point out how shitty some behavior is.

All DeAngelo needed to do was to not create drama and he'd be fine. But he was unable to and off he goes.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The worlds perception has not changed one bit, the difference is that people have new platforms to point out how shitty some behavior is.

All DeAngelo needed to do was to not create drama and he'd be fine. But he was unable to and off he goes.

I disagree with the first part, but agree with the second, I think those platforms influence behavior and perception. Not the place to get into it, but I don't believe the paradigms are the same when people can self-select their own reality.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I will say that I wanted to punch Georgiev when he played that puck away from Tony. It isn't at all unusual for team mates to get into it after something like this happens. Which, of course, leads me to believe that this was the straw that broke the camels back. Quinn has wanted Tony out for a while. Was it because he and others opposed Tony's political views? Or, was it because Tony just couldn't keep his mouth/fingers shut?

While I have never though of Quinn as particularly great coach, I am leaning toward him being the wrong coach for this team.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I will say that I wanted to punch Georgiev when he played that puck away from Tony. It isn't at all unusual for team mates to get into it after something like this happens. Which, of course, leads me to believe that this was the straw that broke the camels back. Quinn has wanted Tony out for a while. Was it because he and others opposed Tony's political views? Or, was it because Tony just couldn't keep his mouth/fingers shut?

While I have never though of Quinn as particularly great coach, I am leaning toward him being the wrong coach for this team.
Quinn invested a lot of time in DeAngelo to simply want him off the team. There is one thing to have opposing political views, it is another to be preaching them to the point that you are becoming a distraction in the locker room. And it is one thing for teammates to blow up at each other behind closed doors, but quite another for fists to actually fly.

Reactions: Ruggs225

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I think people are taking this as a single incident, or 2 incidents (the altercation + not taking the benching well). It seems very obvious to me that JD isn't in the business of airing out dirty laundry. I think if they totally want to sabotage his career they could just air it for Larry Brooks and all the other writers to salivate into for their juicy articles. The fact that they kept emphasizing that they wanted to move on sounded like it was like being in a relationship and the other partner was crazy. You love em, but your just sick of having to deal with them losing it every now and then.

Reactions: Cynical TyranT

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Quinn invested a lot of time in DeAngelo to simply want him off the team. There is one thing to have opposing political views, it is another to be preaching them to the point that you are becoming a distraction in the locker room. And it is one thing for teammates to blow up at each other behind closed doors, but quite another for fists to actually fly.
I'm not saying that what you have stated isn't true, but how do you know that this was the case? I have heard that Tony was well liked in the room. Also, was it Tony who threw the first punch? I don't think team mates fighting is a common occurrence in todays game, but its not unheard of and when it does occur, it is kept quiet.
I'm really not defending Tony. I only care about this team playing well and contending.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not saying that what you have stated isn't true, but how do you know that this was the case? I have heard that Tony was well liked in the room. Also, was it Tony who threw the first punch? I don't think team mates fighting is a common occurrence in todays game, but its not unheard of and when it does occur, it is kept quiet.
I'm really not defending Tony. I only care about this team playing well and contending.
My speculation is from piecing together items that came from our insiders and what I read. No one truly knows, but some scenarios are much more likely than others.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Has there been a less informative press conference than the one about Tony D yesterday? "There was an incident, things happened". What was the point of it?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
They are still trying to trade him.... did you think the press conference would be a Tony bashing show?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If Geo threw the first punch he should be gone too.
Absolutely, and wondered WHO exactly was there to see it?
Not trying to nail Georgiev but, seems to me if there was NO ONE to witness, then its ASSUMED Tony started it, BECAUSE he has a "prior record" so to speak?
Who's to say Georgiev didnt say s9mething belligerent, and Tony with his temper.........lost it. Possible, unlikely but possible.

"True to his word, the orginazation's word". Yeah, I get it. Dont want to look like an org. that plays patsy with future bad eggs.
OTH, this is WHY that ultimatum was a lose, lose. If it stayed in house, would have been better asset mgmt. Oh wait, asset mgmt.? What's that? I thought we turned that corner and better than yesteryear. Maybe not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad