Speculation: status of our D post Deangelo

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Easy to say that now, but this was before we knew what we had in Miller/Fox/Lindgren.

When we traded for him, he was a 24 year old stud, and we were dealing with the shells of Smith, Staal, and Shatty. Trouba was the light at the end of the tunnel for this team.

We always do this. Sign a player to a massive deal only to start talking trades and buy outs 2 years later. You'd think we'd learn by now.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
With Tony, can't they put him on the taxi squad for this year with no cap hit? And a buyout in June costs less than $400,000 next year, and less than $900,000 the second year.

Why would they put a guy who literally is punching a teammate in the face around the club? I think he’s shown himself as a wasted talent.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
No one has really mentioned this but what if DeAngelo went in front of all his teammates, coaches, and team management and admitted everything was his fault and he wanted one final opportunity to salvage his career after having had the last 24-48 hours to reflect on his actions.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
No one has really mentioned this but what if DeAngelo went in front of all his teammates, coaches, and team management and admitted everything was his fault and he wanted one final opportunity to salvage his career after having had the last 24-48 hours to reflect on his actions.
source?

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
Just curious. Can we expose him in the expansion draft, and still buy him out if he wasn't claimed? Probably unlikely, but I imagine there is a small chance the Kraken would take him. Either way, this puts us in a position to potentially trade for a defenseman and not have to worry about the impacts of the expansion draft as I doubt we will protect Hajek or DeAngelo.

Reactions: CasusBelli

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
No source, I'm simply asking what everyone's opinion might be.
sorry, didn't see the "what if"
part of me feels like this would be treated like an alcohol abuse scenario. the other part though is that this is so beyond fixing now so he could say that but the Rangers would say thanks but no thanks. The fact no one put a waiver bid in on him speaks VOLUMES

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
sorry, didn't see the "what if"
part of me feels like this would be treated like an alcohol abuse scenario. the other part though is that this is so beyond fixing now so he could say that but the Rangers would say thanks but no thanks. The fact no one put a waiver bid in on him speaks VOLUMES

Yeah going the waiver route immediately hurt any little amount of trade value they would've had. Sending him home while exploring trade options in hindsight might have been the better play simply from an asset management perspective. He will probably sit out the remainder of the season and the Rangers will buy him out in the offseason.

BTW, the official NYR site no longer lists DeAngelo on the roster but they do list THE Jonny Brodzinski.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I suspect there might be a willingness with his teammates to work with him.

The challenge may be whether or not ADA actually sees anything wrong right now, or feels that he was the victim. He doesn't strike me as the mea culpa type.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
I suspect there might be a willingness with his teammates to work with him.

The challenge may be whether or not ADA actually sees anything wrong right now, or feels that he was the victim. He doesn't strike me as the mea culpa type.
I agree, Trouba and Zibanejad in their pressers yesterday seemed to feel sorry for Tony instead of seeming angry with him.

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
I didn't think about this option before Larry Brooks listed in his article on what to do with AD now.

Another option for the Rangers would be to wait for the Seattle expansion draft set for July 31, 2021. The Rangers could leave DeAngelo unprotected and hope the Kraken claim him.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
https://nypost.com/2021/02/01/rangers-should-name-chris-kreider-captain-after-tony-deangelo-mess
There have been all sorts of wild stories circulating through the internet the last two days regarding DeAngelo and his supposedly diseased relationship with K’Andre Miller. We have been told by numerous individuals that there is nothing to them and instead inventions to suit a narrative.

In addition, there are tales circulating that Kreider punched DeAngelo in the face after the initial imbroglio was broken up by Miller, as The Post reported Monday morning. That is simply not true, according to several individuals with knowledge of the situation.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I agree, Trouba and Zibanejad in their pressers yesterday seemed to feel sorry for Tony instead of seeming angry with him.

Until this relatively recent debacle, I can't say I've ever heard someone express a concern about ADA's interactions with his teammates. I've said it before, but it really was a non-issue.

For the most part, he really was well-liked by those around him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
As for the Kreider thing, I don't have him punching anyone from any of the sources. I don't know where that one started
It started on the Twitter yesterday where people were analyzing Kreiders post game interview

No one with any sort of credibility has said Kreider did anything

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I would stand behind the locker room's decision if that were the case. They accept it then I would. They think the locker room is better without him then keep him away.

I wouldn't let Quinn decide though.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Anyone know of cheapish guys out there with a year left on their deal who could hunker down the third pair and be an upgrade over JJ/Smith/Bitetto? Not necessarily looking for a lot of potential or long term solution, just someone who can be a solid bottom pairing player and not a liability.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
The D was always going to be in limbo this year, without or without Deangelo. Not sure what's changed long-term. Hang tight and wait for the guys like Lundkvist and Schnieder to arrive. As long as Miller, Fox, and Lindgren keep progressing there's no reason to freak out.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
The D was always going to be in limbo this year, without or without Deangelo. Not sure what's changed long-term. Hang tight and wait for the guys like Lundkvist and Schnieder to arrive. As long as Miller, Fox, and Lindgren keep progressing there's no reason to freak out.

These typos are just making me lol today.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00