State of the Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Still wish the owners would sell like I have for a few years now. I don't see this team ever being successful with limp-dick owners that shy away from hard choices (look at Oilers). They just have their guys and leave them there - no matter what happens.

Then again, the buyer could be even more stingy on the roster. Tough place we find ourselves and the club.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Still wish the owners would sell like I have for a few years now. I don't see this team ever being successful with limp-dick owners that shy away from hard choices (look at Oilers). They just have their guys and leave them there - no matter what happens.

Then again, the buyer could be even more stingy on the roster. Tough place we find ourselves and the club.

Like signing Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Fowler, Lindholm, and Gibson to long term deals? They’re not limp-dick, they just aren’t hyper-aggressive with risky moves that MAY result in a Cup win then 3-10 years of futility. They’ve had 2 teams in the last 5 years that could have gone to the Cup. You’re describing the Ottawa, Phoenix, Buffalo, and Colorado owners of the world. It could be MUCH worse.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Like signing Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Fowler, Lindholm, and Gibson to long term deals? They’re not limp-dick, they just aren’t hyper-aggressive with risky moves that MAY result in a Cup win then 3-10 years of futility. They’ve had 2 teams in the last 5 years that could have gone to the Cup. You’re describing the Ottawa, Phoenix, Buffalo, and Colorado owners of the world. It could be MUCH worse.
The problem is I feel owners don't really care that much how we do as a team. I'm not saying they're cheap (now anyway)..

I would much rather have the Buffalo owner who is ready to pay the bills and also make changes (current standings don't even matter for this - would've preferred Pegula every single year after he became an owner).

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The problem is I feel owners don't really care that much how we do as a team. I'm not saying they're cheap (now anyway)..

I would much rather have the Buffalo owner who is ready to pay the bills and also make changes (current standings don't even matter for this - would've preferred Pegula every single year after he became an owner).
Pegula bought the team in 2011 mid-season. That’s the last time they were in the playoffs, and he’s been through FIVE coaches, and created a culture where the franchise player was allegedly refusing to re-sign if coaching/management changes didn’t occur. Having money and a big mouth doesn’t make you a good owner or Daniel Snyder would have a dozen Super Bowl rings.

Part of being a good owner is knowing when to NOT step in. I’d accept the argument that the great owners are the ones who DO know when to step in. I’m not sure we will ever know how often that does ordoes not happen here.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah, I’m fine with the owners, at least based on what we know. It’s possible they are handicapping the team more than we know, but that’s only speculation and there is no evidence. I’m very wary of owners who step in and interfere, because owning a team doesn’t mean you know how to run a team. That’s why there are general managers and other upper management.

If Murray does something ridiculously stupid, like re-sign Carlyle to a contract, then maybe I could see it being necessary for someone to step in. Beyond that, you need to let the people you hire do their job. No one likes a helicopter parent, and a helicopter boss is just as bad.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Put it this way: I'd much rather have the Samueli's as owners then not have them as owners.

They've done a lot of great work for the Ducks in growing the sport and attempting to grow the fanbase since taking over and I'm not going to buy they don't 'care' how the team does, Anaheim has effectively been a cap team for a few years which would mean even larger losses than usual as owners. I'd rather they aren't super aggressive in terms of decisions - you hire people to run the team who have more knowledge then you when it comes to hockey operations, and let's be honest - it's not like Anaheim has done so terribly under them as owners.

The second you have an owner who thinks they know more then the people they've hired you to run the team you end up with a Miami Marlins type situation when the owner starts signing players to ridiculous contracts and not even letting the GM know they have been signed, all despite the 40 man roster is full.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
My thoughts are the Samuelis want to make the playoffs every year; to do that in today's NHL, you need to do a few things:

- Draft well
- Avoid all-in trades that mortgage too much future
- Manage the cap well

No one disagrees with #1. Ducks are great at drafting.

#2 is where I read many complaints; we never make that all-in move, are never in on the big deadline names, etc...the fact is, the large majority of those moves never pan out for the teams making them. I feel our owners would rather make the playoffs, then see if the stars align (avoid injuries, have a hot goalie, etc...) and maybe they win it all.

I'd rather see the Ducks make the playoffs 10 years in a row, and maybe have a real shot at the Cup or win it in a few of those years, vs. a few "all-in" years then years of re-tooling near the bottom of the standings.

#3 I feel the Ducks are slightly above average at. They are amazing at RFAs, but spend too much on overpaid UFA vets. At least, they avoid long-term on these vets, though.

Can't complain about Kesler or Perry deals because they were absolutely necessary and paying for great players when they occurred.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Pegula bought the team in 2011 mid-season. That’s the last time they were in the playoffs, and he’s been through FIVE coaches, and created a culture where the franchise player was allegedly refusing to re-sign if coaching/management changes didn’t occur. Having money and a big mouth doesn’t make you a good owner or Daniel Snyder would have a dozen Super Bowl rings.

Part of being a good owner is knowing when to NOT step in. I’d accept the argument that the great owners are the ones who DO know when to step in. I’m not sure we will ever know how often that does ordoes not happen here.
The fact Eichel seemed like he was the GM or whatever was bad for sure.

Like you said, Ducks have made conference finals twice in 5 years. Then you have to consider we were not a cap team, but with internal budget. What if Ducks could actually beef up properly and not spend 10M less than the other team?

The fact we went in with a gimped budget really pisses me off more than it should it seems.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
How bad is the Pacific division?

Calgary 23GP 27 points
San Jose 22GP 26 points
Anaheim 24GP 25 points
Vegas 24GP 23 points
Edmonton 22GP 22 points
Vancouver 24GP 22 points
Arizona 21GP 20 points
Los Angeles 21GP 15 points

It looks like someone will be making the playoffs with 82-85 points.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010

Calgary 23GP 27 points
San Jose 22GP 26 points
Anaheim 24GP 25 points
Vegas 24GP 23 points
Edmonton 22GP 22 points
Vancouver 24GP 22 points
Arizona 21GP 20 points

Worst division in hockey.

Which unfortunately means it's going to let RC keep his job for the season.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Calgary 23GP 27 points
San Jose 22GP 26 points
Anaheim 24GP 25 points
Vegas 24GP 23 points
Edmonton 22GP 22 points
Vancouver 24GP 22 points
Arizona 21GP 20 points

The 5th place team in the Atlantic would be one point off 1st place in the pacific if they were in our division.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Liking our defensive depth all of a sudden. I think Dotchin is going to take the 3rd RD spot. Healthy lineup could be...

Lindholm - Montour
Fowler - Manson
Larsson/Mahura - Dotchin

Reactions: Dirk316

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
Idk why we’re a budget team, the Samuelis are billionaires. Just spend to the ****ing cap
I mean, if you're gonna moan about the owners - at least do a bit of research first.

Anaheim have been pushed right to the cap for the last 3 seasons. Anaheim are right at the cap this season (when everyone is off IR), 3m short in 17-18 (mainly as BM decided not to make any moves) and were the 3rd highest cap team in 16-17.

If anything, the Samueli's have shown they will spend if the team is looking like a contender - but a fringe playoff team is when the budget is tightened.

Reactions: kroypuck and dracom

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I mean, if you're gonna moan about the owners - at least do a bit of research first.

Anaheim have been pushed right to the cap for the last 3 seasons. Anaheim are right at the cap this season (when everyone is off IR), 3m short in 17-18 (mainly as BM decided not to make any moves) and were the 3rd highest cap team in 16-17.

If anything, the Samueli's have shown they will spend if the team is looking like a contender - but a fringe playoff team is when the budget is tightened.
Stephens just said in one of his tweets that the Samuelis are unhappy with the amount of money we’re spending

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Stephens just said in one of his tweets that the Samuelis are unhappy with the amount of money we’re spending
yeah because we suck, if we were good i am sure they wouldn't mind

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
Is it in an article? As I looked at his tweets and see nothing otherwise.

And either way, if I was an owner and I allowed the GM to spend to the cap (Anaheim are the highest cap team in the NHL when you take out Detroit's LTIR retirement contracts) which means sizeable financial losses barring a deep playoff run and then I saw the standard of hockey on display on the ice...I'd be pretty upset as well, this team couldn't be further away from a contender if it tried. Like I said, it seems pretty clear they are willing to spend if this team is a contender as they have allowed cap spending for multiple seasons. But are not so happy to spend to the cap if the team is a fringe playoff team or worse (like this current team is).

Anaheim has a lot of issues right now, and I'd put the owners pretty close to bottom of the list.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Is it in an article? As I looked at his tweets and see nothing otherwise.

And either way, if I was an owner and I allowed the GM to spend to the cap (Anaheim are the highest cap team in the NHL when you take out Detroit's LTIR retirement contracts) which means sizeable financial losses barring a deep playoff run and then I saw the standard of hockey on display on the ice...I'd be pretty upset as well, this team couldn't be further away from a contender if it tried. Like I said, it seems pretty clear they are willing to spend if this team is a contender as they have allowed cap spending for multiple seasons. But are not so happy to spend to the cap if the team is a fringe playoff team or worse (like this current team is).

Anaheim has a lot of issues right now, and I'd put the owners pretty close to bottom of the list.
My bad, it was actually Teaford.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Idk why we’re a budget team, the Samuelis are billionaires. Just spend to the ****ing cap
Above and beyond the fact that they do, you don’t get to be a billionaire by being stupid with money. You certainly don’t stay one that way.

It’s a pretty common practice for all sports fans to complain that their owner won’t spend money regardless of how well the team does, but I’m hard pressed to think of any owners in any sport that spend huge money long term in small markets that aren’t profitable.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Above and beyond the fact that they do, you don’t get to be a billionaire by being stupid with money. You certainly don’t stay one that way.

It’s a pretty common practice for all sports fans to complain that their owner won’t spend money regardless of how well the team does, but I’m hard pressed to think of any owners in any sport that spend huge money long term in small markets that aren’t profitable.
Being in the practice of defending billionaires and how they save their money seems out of date. I'm fairly certain I spend a bigger portion of my intake on this team than they do and they own the damn franchise.

Furthermore I have hard time clapping my hands for them spending money on their investment. That's why they bought the team. I don't expect gold stars when I get an oil change for my car, if I want it to run that's what I have to do.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Being in the practice of defending billionaires and how they save their money seems out of date. I'm fairly certain I spend a bigger portion of my intake on this team than they do and they own the damn franchise.

Furthermore I have hard time clapping my hands for them spending money on their investment. That's why they bought the team. I don't expect gold stars when I get an oil change for my car, if I want it to run that's what I have to do.

I’m not clapping my hands or defending them, I’m stating facts. The team is THEIR toy, not ours. Nobody gets to tell other people how to play with their toys.

I’m not being disingenuous saying I don’t know of any sport with a small market non-profitable team owner who just continually burns cash. If you do say so.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

I agree with most of what you say, but the argument that “they got to be billionaires by not being dumb with money” is an old one and not a good one. Of course the owners would like to make money year to year if they can, but the amount of money we’re talking about here is minuscule when compared to their overall portfolios. People become owners of sport franchises for reasons other than trying to make a yearly operating profit. Aside from the fact that they are banking on franchise value appreciation more, their main source of income comes from something other than the team they own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad