#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I am very much in the other camp. I would be pleasantly surprised to see Stastny re-sign with the Avalanche, but I expect him to sign elsewhere.

Do you get a sense of whether he wants to try elsewhere in particular (e.g. St Louis) or do you think he'll just go where he gets the most money?

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
I don't see why Staz would want to sign elsewhere. Most of the teams that are better than us can't afford him, and the Avs are tending upwards. He's been here for a long time and it looks like he had a lot of fun this season. I think he resigns.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Do you get a sense of whether he wants to try elsewhere in particular (e.g. St Louis) or do you think he'll just go where he gets the most money?

I won't do that, sorry. Anything I've posted for the past year is just my "fan thinking."

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=79484509&postcount=235
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=81201617&postcount=139

Nothing has changed. Stastny was never going to re-sign before July 1st. His agent would be downright Pejorative Slured if he signed anything before the market opens.

Not sure why everybody begins to panic over a Strickland rumor. Same status as the past year. Avs want to keep him, Stastny wouldn't mind staying, but any person with half a brain in his shoes would wait until free agency. Let's calm down.

Plenty of UFAs re-sign before July 1st. Not every player and agent uses brinkmanship as their main negotiating tool.

If Stastny wants to stay and Avs want him stay, there is no reason why this couldn't be done earlier.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't see why Staz would want to sign elsewhere. Most of the teams that are better than us can't afford him, and the Avs are tending upwards. He's been here for a long time and it looks like he had a lot of fun this season. I think he resigns.

IMO Anaheim is the big contender. St Louis is in a similar situation to the Avs where they still have some holes to fill in the lineup, and their window is much closer to ending than the Avs. Anaheim on the other hand is basically a 2nd line from competing for the cup for the next 4-5 years, and they have players coming up to fill in perfectly around Stastny and no real cap issues going forward.

I will say one thing about this though... while it would hurt, and the team would be significantly worse next year, this team is setup perfectly to replace Stastny. MacK can move back to center then Tangs and Landy can insulate him defensively, and the Avs have the cap space to go after a good defensive center to help replace Stastny's shutdown abilities.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Plenty of UFAs re-sign before July 1st. Not every player and agent uses brinkmanship as their main negotiating tool.

If Stastny wants to stay and Avs want him stay, there is no reason why this couldn't be done earlier.

This is what I think too. Absent any information I'm not aware of this seems most logical. If he wants to stay and gets a decent offer then it's irrelevant what another team would offer.

CrimsonPuma*

His playoff performance is gonna make him a much bigger target.

I would be shocked if he doesn't at least test the free agent waters.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He will get over 7mil per year if he goes to another team.
I would consider anything under 6.8 a hometown discount and would glady take him back if that's what it costs.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
This is what I think too. Absent any information I'm not aware of this seems most logical. If he wants to stay and gets a decent offer then it's irrelevant what another team would offer.

That's a nice, romantic way of looking at it, sure.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

So why did Phaneuf, Getzlaf, Perry and multitude of others sign before July 1st? They have incompetent agents?

If the player wants to stay it's just a matter of agreeing on a number. It's not necessarily easy but doesn't automatically have the player going to free agency to put pressure on the team. Not all negotiations are inherently adversarial.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So why did Phaneuf, Getzlaf, Perry and multitude of others sign before July 1st? They have incompetent agents?

If the player wants to stay it's just a matter of agreeing on a number. It's not necessarily easy but doesn't automatically have the player going to free agency to put pressure on the team. Not all negotiations are inherently adversarial.

This is how I see it too, Stostny seems like he wants to stay.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
A Blues beat writer reported it and his "those closest to the Avs" source is probably Dater.

I'm not believing this for a second until I see additional, more reliable sources.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

If I were Staz, I'd go for the most security and nicest offer. These guys have such a short career, it seems silly not to go with the offer that makes the most sense for them. The Avs will need to field a competitive offer if they really want to keep Staz. That said, let's cross our fingers that Staz's best option is staying in Denver.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
He will get over 7mil per year if he goes to another team.
I would consider anything under 6.8 a hometown discount and would glady take him back if that's what it costs.

Following the 2015-2016 season (2 seasons from now), the Avs will have some major contracts to extend. They'll have to extend MacKinnon and Erik Johnson. Ryan O'Reilly will be commanding a handsome sum by that time as well. Tyson Barrie will be more expensive then too, either coming off his bridge deal or from a long-term deal he signs this summer. Yes, Parenteau's and Tanguay's contracts will be coming off the books then, but we still have to replace them. We also will hopefully have another top pairing defenseman to put with Johnson by that time and he won't come cheap either.

Even with the cap going up, it will be a tight fit. Honestly, I think 6.8mil with a NTC (which I think will be a sticking point for him), could hamstring us. If he demands north of 6mil, quite frankly I think the Avs balk.

I don't want to lose Stastny, but this team is equipped to replace him. However, if we do let him go, it's absolutely essential we find a way to replace his salary with a top pairing defenseman either this offseason or the next one.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Hometown discount or bust, lets hope Peter Stastny isn't upset at the Avalanche for trading Captain Kirk and manbearpig anymore.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Should be interesting. I'm in the group that thinks Stastny will likely wait to see what other offers are out there before signing. It makes very little sense for him to do otherwise. No one knows what's going on behind the scenes so I could be wrong here but I doubt the Avs are prepared to pay him more than Duchene and give him the best offer he can possibly get. There's probably at least one other team out there that will give him over $6M/yr and then he'll have a decision to make.

I don't think Getzlaf, Perry, Phaneuf, etc are really relevant here. Getzlaf and Perry's cap hits puts them in the top 5 in the NHL among forwards, they're making Crosby money. Phaneuf is top 5 among defensemen. It was probably an easy decision for those guys to sign when they did. Stastny won't be getting some ridiculous offer from the Avs that he can't refuse. It's smart for him to wait.

CrimsonPuma*

I think that Walnuts will stay, but wouldn't blame him for signing else where for more money. This is his prime money making years and has earned the right to capitalize on his earning potential.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Stastny's made nearly 35 million dollars over his NHL career before the age of 30. If money, and it's not like he'd be paid poorly by Colorado, is his primary motivation in this next deal, he's free to go wherever he pleases.

CrimsonPuma*

Stastny's made nearly 35 million dollars over his NHL career before the age of 30. If money, and it's not like he'd be paid poorly by Colorado, is his primary motivation in this next deal, he's free to go wherever he pleases.

If will never get another chance to make this kind of money. If some team is willing to pay him $7/8M, he would be stupid not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany