#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
The timing strikes me as very odd. I cannot believe that those who are actually close to the Avs would say anything about Stastny's contract situation immediately after a game like this.

He might still be right, but it seems strange to me.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
IF TRUE, it's obviously Paul who wants to go. Or he is pricing himself out of Colorado with this great season and great playoff run.

If Avs wanted to let him go, they would have traded him at the deadline.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
IF TRUE, it's obviously Paul who wants to go. Or he is pricing himself out of Colorado with this great season and great playoff run.

If Avs wanted to let him go, they would have traded him at the deadline.

Not necessarily. Avs could be lowballing since they do have 3 other capable centres.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Not necessarily. Avs could be lowballing since they do have 3 other capable centres.

True. Avs has to be smart as well. We can afford Stastny perfectly well now. But how about in 4 years when he has 2-3 years left on a 6.0M+ deal when we have EJ, Barrie, Landy, Duchene, Mac, ROR on their REAL deals. Gotta think ahead here. And it's not as easy as it is on NHL14 where you just trade them when you no longer can afford them.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
I call BS. Roy said tonight we weren't winning a cup this year. If he didn't want him around and didn't think he would be around they would have traded him at the deadline.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I call BS. Roy said tonight we weren't winning a cup this year. If he didn't want him around and didn't think he would be around they would have traded him at the deadline.

It's absolute BS. How would he know? Who is giving him this info? Craig Billington? Stastny's agent? Roy? Sakic?

Very doubtful. What's more likely is wishful thinking from a guy trying to give his fanbase something to look forward to.

The Avs wanted to re-sign him earlier in the year and now because he had a great playoff, they don't want to anymore? :huh:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I highly doubt he knows anything, but I've prepared myself for Stastny walking as a UFA. His price went up even more in the playoffs and I don't think the Avs are willing to pay it when they've got Duchene, MacKinnon, and O'Reilly all capable of playing as top 2 centers.

Just my opinion.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I highly doubt he knows anything, but I've prepared myself for Stastny walking as a UFA. His price went up even more in the playoffs and I don't think the Avs are willing to pay it when they've got Duchene, MacKinnon, and O'Reilly all capable of playing as top 2 centers.

Just my opinion.

Blues fan here in peace. I empathize about the playoff exit.

Not a single poster over at the Blues' board thinks that Andy Strickland has any credibility whatsoever. He is a lapdog who has hung around simply because he is persistent and is a gigantic pain in the ass always clamoring for a fake scoop and is willing to tow the corporate line. He is a terrible writer, poor commentator and has the scruples of Bernie Madoff in that he loves to gin up a micro-kernel of information into a full bucket of buttered popcorn.

Paul Stastny and only Paul Stastny controls his fate. We shall see what happens.

Best of luck with all your wonderful forward depth!!

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
**** me I swear to god if we don't re-sign Paul Stastny...

Him and ROR are absolutely critical to the success of this team. Signing them is easily the #1 priority this off-season.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
This stickland guy has less credibility than dater and chambers. I'm sure he's just saying that to stir the pot and get the rumors circulating.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
Blues fan here in peace. I empathize about the playoff exit.

Not a single poster over at the Blues' board thinks that Andy Strickland has any credibility whatsoever. He is a lapdog who has hung around simply because he is persistent and is a gigantic pain in the ass always clamoring for a fake scoop and is willing to tow the corporate line. He is a terrible writer, poor commentator and has the scruples of Bernie Madoff in that he loves to gin up a micro-kernel of information into a full bucket of buttered popcorn.

Paul Stastny and only Paul Stastny controls his fate. We shall see what happens.

Best of luck with all your wonderful forward depth!!
Yeah thanks for the thoughts. That's what I thought and I know he isn't highly regarded by Blues fans. Funny how he tweeted instantly after the game was over.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
I just called this earlier today. :sarcasm:

I wasn't buying any of that "hometown discount" BS for a second. Like I said, they shoulda traded him at the deadline. Players that get this close to FA don't usually pass it up for less money. This is a business.

But I'm happy about this because I'd rather let him walk than overpay him to a long-term deal. Be smart with your money.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Just my opinion.

I hate to be negative but I feel the same way. Unless Stastny takes something less than 5.5m I doubt he's around next year. The Avs forward core is going to be built around ROR, Landeskog, Duchene and MacKinnon. I'm sure the Avs would love to keep Stastny around, but not if in three years he's hurting the team with a long term 6+ million per year contract. I doubt there's much urgency to re-sign him unfortunately.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
First of all, this "news" from the St Louis media is a bunch of BS. Second of all, if the Avs were not interested or optimistic in signing Stastny they would have traded him. A better "story" would have been to say Stastny wasn't interested in coming back. Third of all, the Avs apparently decided this minutes after losing and better yet let the St Louis media in on this? Come on, I could write better fiction than that.

I get that its a business and the answers are not known. I do believe an honest attempt at making it happen will occur. Roy loves that LSM line, there absolutely is a place for Stastny. The money is there to sign him. We'll see.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Game ended, I went to bed broken hearted and refused to check any internet sites. Now I wake up feeling a little better since I know this team has a great future. I come on here and bam, Andy Stickland!

I know he's not very reputable but it still hurts to see that Stastny may not be an Av in 2 months.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Meh...

Statsny played really well during his contract year. Not so good the others.....

Avs didn't resign him, kept him on his toes all year and kept him motivated by doing so.

I won't be hurt if he leaves. At the price he's going to ask, I'd rather have room for a defenseman.

The only part that will bother me is that we didn't get assets for him, which this team is historically a failure at, but it's emphasized by Roy telling anyone who would listen that we were not a Cup team. So then why NOT deal him?

Huis Clos*

In free agency some team is going to offer him $7-$7.5 million.

He's gone.

Should have moved him at the deadline. Another mistake by Sakic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln