#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I was super optimistic about the future even after the game 7 loss but I'll be crushed if we lose Stastny for nothing.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
In free agency some team is going to offer him $7-$7.5 million.

He's gone.

Should have moved him at the deadline. Another mistake by Sakic.
Moved him for what exactly? The same return Vanek got? No thank you. The trade market was crap.

Huis Clos*

Moved him for what exactly? The same return Vanek got? No thank you. The trade market was crap.

The choices being nothing or a prospect (albeit a weak one) and a second.

Not a difficult decision.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I have been (still am) in the sign Stastny camp for a while now and even I'm not getting excited or trusting Andy freak'n Strickland.

I have no idea where he's getting his info, probably nowhere, but almost all of us Blues fans think Strickland is a candy ass moron so I wouldn't look too much into it.

Good season for you guys and congrats on making a big comeback for this year and winning the central.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We can't lose Statsny. He's too big of a part of this team and there's nobody on the market that's worth spending that money on. If Suter was a UFA, maybe it'd be different.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Hope he comes back and I hope we got a decent top pairing LD. I wouldn't be too upset if Stastny is gone but I hope if he isn't with the team next year that we get a forward to replace him.

If it comes down to it, I would rather O'reilly to be on this team over Stastny.

I want him still on the team next year but I would want him at a hometown discount, which imo is in the rage of 5.25-5.8m. I wouldn't be upset if he isn't on the team next year though, O'reilly, Mackinnon, Duchene is a better 1-2-3. O'reilly wasn't be used properly this year. He's much better as a center.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I'm pretty fascinated with how the Nordiques rebuild compares to ours now. I was a kid at the time so I have no memory of it,but I see posters like Bender have a wealth of knowledge of it. I just saw a post with someone saying how this year was similar to the year before they moved to Colorado. My question would be how does it compare? It got me thinking if we are going down a similar route with that team and when Sundin was traded. Was it because we also had a excess of centers then? Could this be a sign Stastny may be let go because of it?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 7m
Those close to the #AVS aren't expecting the team to re-sign Paul Stastny.

Let's get it going guys.

I've been saying this all along. This is the most plausible scenario, IMO.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
In free agency some team is going to offer him $7-$7.5 million.

He's gone.

Should have moved him at the deadline. Another mistake by Sakic.

Agreed.

Though I said at the time, that I thought that Avs' Management would trade 2 home playoff games in return for losing Stastny for nothing. Turns out they got 4 games.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Yes, but then you make the best of a bad situation.

In the end, the Avs may have kept Stastny and essentially traded 4 home playoff games for a couple of 2nd round draft picks (or something like that). I'm not a fan of that swap, but I understand why Avs Management would be.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Guys... Strickland was the first to report Miller and Ott scratched from the Buffalo game and then the first one to report the trade to the Blues.

He hits some, he misses some. Hes involved and reports rumors. Some people dont understand that so if he get a couple things wrong people freak out and hate him forever because he got their hopes up.

Hes a beat-writer. Not a fact checker for the AP.

Last edited:

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Seems like a really reliable leak. I'm going to go get upset about this. Brb.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Strickland has any inside info when it comes to Avs. Roy has said he wants to re-sign Stastny and that he thinks Stastny wants to remain an Avs player.

Roy: "we believe that Paul wants to stay as an Avalanche next year. We believe that there's a good chance for him to re-sign with us. Now, how it will happen, it will be up to Joe and his agent. But I think Paul has the Avs in his heart and I think he's going to want to be in this town."

There is no reason to expect anything at the moment. I would think it makes sense for both parties to get it done. Duchene and MacKinnon can't do what Stastny can but are great at other things. There is both room and a need for Stastny on Avs.

Huis Clos*

Duchene and MacKinnon can't do what Stastny can but are great at other things. There is both room and a need for Stastny on Avs.

You bring up a good point. At this point Duchene and MacKinnon provide more offensive ability than Stastny will going forward. But Stastny played as the team's number one defensive forward and did an excellent job at it. He was also the Avalanche's most important face off man. When he walks it's going to leave a gaping hole defensively. Duchene and MacKinnon have the ability to get there eventually, but it might be a few more years.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
we all know the St. Louis connection has always been there, but I will be really, really displeased if we lose Pauly Walnuts for nothing - especially to a petulant division rival.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Guys... Strickland was the first to report Miller and Ott scratched from the Buffalo game and then the first one to report the trade to the Blues.

He hits some, he misses some. Hes involved and reports rumors. Some people dont understand that so if he get a couple things wrong people freak out and hate him forever because he got their hopes up.

Hes a beat-writer. Not a fact checker for the AP.

Wow a beat writer reported on a trade that actually happened? Dater has done that too. Hell, he's the one that reported the lockout was over!

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
This one is going to be up to Stastny no doubt. The Avs front office wants him. If they didn't they would have traded him at the deadline. Then Stastny goes and plays some of his best hockey ever after the deadline.

The front office will offer him a completely reasonable contract and it will be up to Stastny to choose if he stays or goes.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Wow a beat writer reported on a trade that actually happened? Dater has done that too. Hell, he's the one that reported the lockout was over!

Right. So why get so upset about it? Beat-writers report things. Sometimes rumors. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. No use getting all worked up about it. JMO.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
A quote by Staz on NHL.com about his late chance on Bryz and his feelings after the game:

"It nicked his shoulder," Stastny said. "It should have gone in. It's one I'll be thinking about for a while. It was back and forth all game. That's how the series was. Once overtime hit it could have gone either way again. It's frustrating, it's tough to take right now. In a couple days I'll digest it and take a look back and be proud of what we started and what we have to keep building on."

This to me, even after this loss, says that he plans on staying in Colorado.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=79484509&postcount=235
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=81201617&postcount=139

Nothing has changed. Stastny was never going to re-sign before July 1st. His agent would be downright Pejorative Slured if he signed anything before the market opens.

Not sure why everybody begins to panic over a Strickland rumor. Same status as the past year. Avs want to keep him, Stastny wouldn't mind staying, but any person with half a brain in his shoes would wait until free agency. Let's calm down.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=79484509&postcount=235
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=81201617&postcount=139

Nothing has changed. Stastny was never going to re-sign before July 1st. His agent would be downright Pejorative Slured if he signed anything before the market opens.

Not sure why everybody begins to panic over a Strickland rumor. Same status as the past year. Avs want to keep him, Stastny wouldn't mind staying, but any person with half a brain in his shoes would wait until free agency. Let's calm down.

Or at least wait until the talking period starts where everybody can get an idea of where they stand (they can't technically talk numbers, but nothing stating they can't talk comparables). I'd be surprised if he signs before that period starts (5? days before free agency?).

That said, I fully believe that Stastny re-signs with Colorado.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
A quote by Staz on NHL.com about his late chance on Bryz and his feelings after the game:

"It nicked his shoulder," Stastny said. "It should have gone in. It's one I'll be thinking about for a while. It was back and forth all game. That's how the series was. Once overtime hit it could have gone either way again. It's frustrating, it's tough to take right now. In a couple days I'll digest it and take a look back and be proud of what we started and what we have to keep building on."

This to me, even after this loss, says that he plans on staying in Colorado.

What else is he going to say? Guys say things like that all the time and then leave via UFA or trade. Hes still part of that team at that moment and if he says. "...take a look back and be proud of what we started and what they have to keep building on" is it that bad? He doesn't know his future yet but at that time hes part of that club.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Roy and Sakic were here during Lacroix's lucid era and surely know the value of spending cash to retain an impending UFA, like they themselves were.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
That said, I fully believe that Stastny re-signs with Colorado.

I am very much in the other camp. I would be pleasantly surprised to see Stastny re-sign with the Avalanche, but I expect him to sign elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad