Pre-Game Talk: Stars @ Sens Jan. 29. The Return of Mr. Giggles Part 2 Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch · 51m 51 minutes ago
Lehner tomorrow. #Sens

Giving Lehner another chance against the strong offense that is the Stars.

I would have done Andy tomorrow and Lehner on Saturday, but that is just me.

I like it

He needs to be better so give him the tough assignements

Enough of handling him with gloves

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Not sure how you're a Spezza fan if you're pumped for him to get booed in his old barn..

I'm sure there will be a few boo birds, but I'll be it's 99% applause.

I'll be applauding. Spezza wants to win and that wasn't going to happen here.
I wouldn't fault Phillips or Neil or anyone for asking out, in the end it's about being in the playoffs and it just shows a winning drive/instinct if you want out of a mediocre situation.

Also, LEHNZIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!! Finally the beast is unleashed!

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I'll be cheering for Spez, not for the Stars. I hope Spezza has a great game and the Sens win.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I'll be cheering for Spez, not for the Stars. I hope Spezza has a great game and the Sens win.

Same. I was a huge Spezza fan and was disappointed he left, but I understood when he wanted to leave, he did what was best for the team. Everything goes in life, need to accept that.

I hope we can play well like we did vs the Leafs, but for the whole game please. Don't want any heart attack...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Spezza interview tomorrow on his time in Ottawa. Hes going to say that we shouldnt have blown up the Stanley cup finals team so quickly. I agree with him.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Same. I was a huge Spezza fan and was disappointed he left, but I understood when he wanted to leave, he did what was best for the team. Everything goes in life, need to accept that.

I hope we can play well like we did vs the Leafs, but for the whole game please. Don't want any heart attack...

I'm thankful that he wasn't wishy washy about it. Gave Murray a firm answer with plenty of time to make a deal.

I still don't know why Murray announced it league wide TBH. I feel like we got a decent package, but who knows how Paul and the 2nd will turn out. I'll always wonder what the return would have been if Murray hadn't told everyone what was going to happen.

Spezza interview tomorrow on his time in Ottawa. Hes going to say that we shouldnt have blown up the Stanley cup finals team so quickly. I agree with him.

was this on TSN 1200 or on TSN tv?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'm thankful that he wasn't wishy washy about it. Gave Murray a firm answer with plenty of time to make a deal.

I still don't know why Murray announced it league wide TBH. I feel like we got a decent package, but who knows how Paul and the 2nd will turn out. I'll always wonder what the return would have been if Murray hadn't told everyone what was going to happen.

was this on TSN 1200 or on TSN tv?

No idea. They just showed a preview on sportsnet. He was saying he regrets that the finals team was deconstructed so quickly because although the team had a few bad months he still believed it was close to the cup. Im paraphrasing, i dont remember the exact quote.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
No idea. They just showed a preview on sportsnet. He was saying he regrets that the finals team was deconstructed so quickly because although the team had a few bad months he still believed it was close to the cup. Im paraphrasing, i dont remember the exact quote.

oh kk, I think that's from his previous interview before the game in Dallas. He'd said that basically verbatim in that interview.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
The guys on Sirius XM NHL network all thought Spezza would get booed and compared him to Ryan Kesler. I disagree with them.

Do you guys think Spezza will get booed?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
oh kk, I think that's from his previous interview before the game in Dallas. He'd said that basically verbatim in that interview.

Spezza said this in an interview with Friedman. He also explained why alfie left and why he left. He said alfie left because he wanted to win and he left because he didnt like the spotlight, didnt want everything geared around him and wanted to win . He said he wants the role Jeff Carter had in LA he doesnt want to be the it guy anymore. He felt like his time was up in ottawa.

He said alfie thought the sens were going to be going through a little bit of a rebuild and didnt think the sens could win. I thought he actually gave a lot of good insight into why not only he left but why alfie left.

Last edited:

Karlsson2Turris*

The guys on Sirius XM NHL network all thought Spezza would get booed and compared him to Ryan Kesler. I disagree with them.

Any player who demands a trade should expect to be booed imo. I mean some people were even booing Alfie in his return (probably couldn't hear on TV, but I was there) so Spezza will definitely be booed once the puck drops.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Spezza will be booed. Thats what happens to star players who leave ottawa. If some people were capable of booing alfredsson.. spezza will be booed

BigBush*

I'll be applauding. Spezza wants to win and that wasn't going to happen here.
I wouldn't fault Phillips or Neil or anyone for asking out, in the end it's about being in the playoffs and it just shows a winning drive/instinct if you want out of a mediocre situation.

Also, LEHNZIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!! Finally the beast is unleashed!
This is bull ****. Spezza had the opportunity to captain a rebuilding team. If Spezza just wanted to win, he wouldn't of sign an extension in Dallas.
He didn't want to be a captain in a media heavy market, I'm not blaming to going to Dallas where he can play behind Seguin and Benn in peace

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
This is bull ****. Spezza had the opportunity to captain a rebuilding team. If Spezza just wanted to win, he wouldn't of sign an extension in Dallas.
He didn't want to be a captain in a media heavy market, I'm not blaming to going to Dallas where he can play behind Seguin and Benn in peace

How is it ********? He wanted to be out of the spotlight AND have a chance to win. He also has to look @ salary caps and different team needs. Not every team needs a Jason Spezza or has the cap space to sign him to salary he wants.

It's not like he went to a team that is just starting a rebuild. Stars have a lot of good young pieces and they're willing to spend $$.

BigBush*

How is it ********? He wanted to be out of the spotlight AND have a chance to win. He also has to look @ salary caps and different team needs. Not every team needs a Jason Spezza or has the cap space to sign him to salary he wants.

It's not like he went to a team that is just starting a rebuild. Stars have a lot of good young pieces and they're willing to spend $$.

Delete

BigBush*

If I was a professional athlete and had the chance to captain a team, I'd embrace it, and look to be a difference maker. That's easy to say, I know.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I can understand not wanting to be in the spotlight. I was once at the Chapters' near IKEA, and he was there picking up books for his kids. It's like the entire store was tip-toeing around him. Everybody was respectful and didn't bother him, but still it can't be nice when you know everybody's looking at you or pretending not to look (same thing). In Dallas people are too crazy about football to know him, and he can live a normal life.

BigBush*

I can understand not wanting to be in the spotlight. I was once at the Chapters' near IKEA, and he was there picking up books for his kids. It's like the entire store was tip-toeing around him. Everybody was respectful and didn't bother him, but still it can't be nice when you know everybody's looking at you or pretending not to look (same thing). In Dallas people are too crazy about football to know him, and he can live a normal life.

Ya, and a can't blame him. I just don't think his motive was to win a cup.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

So quickly? The team had a spectacular flame out the following season (one of the most impressive flame outs ever I'd say), Harstburg messed everything up the following year and Clouston was hired far too late to make a difference, did ok in 2009-2010 and once again flamed out in 2010-2011: we were last in the conference in January once we started trading away players

Management didn't give up on the team, the problem was goaltending and everything they tried failed until they got Anderson

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
If I was a professional athlete and had the chance to captain a team, I'd embrace it, and look to be a difference maker. That's easy to say, I know.

Easy to say, for sure. Doing it is a completely different thing. I don't know a single star NHLer in a Canadian market that 'likes it'.

Aflie never cared for the spotlight. Luongo was glad to leave Vancouver, you never here a peep out of the Sedins, didn't Kesler specifically demand NOT to be a on Canadian team, all the leafs stars (don't need to add anything else to this), maybe Iginla? I don't follow Calgary much so I don't know how he was treated toward the end of his tenture there. Subban loves it, but he's still young. It really depends upon the age of the players IMO. All the young guys love the attention, but when you have a family and you start getting older I think the perspective changes.

It's also different being a captain when you are on the wrong side of 30 and the GM tells you we're going to have a budget for the foreseeable future, our coach is on thin ice and we think the defence (as is) is built for the playoffs.

BigBush*

Easy to say, for sure. Doing it is a completely different thing. I don't know a single star NHLer in a Canadian market that 'likes it'.

Aflie never cared for the spotlight. Luongo was glad to leave Vancouver, you never here a peep out of the Sedins, didn't Kesler specifically demand NOT to be a on Canadian team, all the leafs stars (don't need to add anything else to this), maybe Iginla? I don't follow Calgary much so I don't know how he was treated toward the end of his tenture there. Subban loves it, but he's still young. It really depends upon the age of the players IMO. All the young guys love the attention, but when you have a family and you start getting older I think the perspective changes.

It's also different being a captain when you are on the wrong side of 30 and the GM tells you we're going to have a budget for the foreseeable future, our coach is on thin ice and we think the defence (as is) is built for the playoffs.

So true, you're absolutely right.

And that's why I have no hard feelings. I had no problem That Spezza said he was going in a different direction and that Ottawa got a fair return

My BS comment more had to do with the fact that I don't think Spezza is very competitive and his only purpose is to win a cup

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Spezza ran because he was uncomfortable.
I applaud players who stay because they are uncomfortable.

Not saying i wouldnt applaud spezza but i respect players who feel loyalty to organizations. There is few if any left but i feel players who really do truly put the team ahead of themselves deserve some distinction.

i dont blame spezza for not doing it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad