Pre-Game Talk: Stars @ Sens Jan. 29. The Return of Mr. Giggles Part 2 Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Wrong. Try again.

Crosby had to resort to shoveling the puck to the blueline where a light wrister by Letang eluded Brian Elliott. The same goalie replaced by Pascal Leclaire later in the series.

This.

I'm far from a Spezza apologist, but that whole play was massively overwrought from the word go by PxP Bob Cole, and blown up into something it never was.. which was Spezza getting schooled.

The only reason anyone even remembers that play is because Brian Elliott **** the bed.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
They should do a video montage but just for kicks throw in the footage of Crosby schooling him

If by schooling him you mean cutting back and forth trying to get away from him but couldn't so he passed it to the point then yeah...

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The video where Spezza failed to seperate Crosby from the puck for like 30 seconds allowing Crosby to make a pass for a goal

Ohhh the one where spezza contains Crosby and Crosby's only play left is to throw it to the point. We all know what you're talking about now that I've clarified.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Hoffman-Pageau-Chiasson line has to potential to really exploit defensive matchups. A speedster with skill, a puck hound with speed, and a great boardwork guy with size. I see them causing some headaches for Dallas.

Michalek-Turris-Stone will be interesting, and hopefully MacArthur can regain some confidence playing with Zibanejad and Ryan.

Lazar Condra and Neil has the potential to disapoint imo. Not sure if I'd prefer Legwand or Neil in the lineup. Probaly Legwand to be honest. Neil doesn't help on Special teams and has to be sheltered at ES, but can add a spark with a hit or a fight should the team need a bit of a wake up call.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That goal was a million years ago. Who cares anymore?

Let's see how these new lines work out. I really want Turris and Mac to get their games going again. If splitting them up is the best option, then lets do it.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
If by schooling him you mean cutting back and forth trying to get away from him but couldn't so he passed it to the point then yeah...

The only reason why crosby didn't do a wrap around in front of the net was due to the fact there were like 4 players, and their respected defenders in a box and there was no room for him to do so. It had nothing to do with Spezza containing him.

Crosby was about 2 feet ahead of Spezza on that entire play and was simply faster. I don't really blame Spezza that much as it is hard enough to catch a player who is in that position, let alone if you are substantially slower and less mobile than the other guy. He could have attempted to cross check him in the back to knock him over, and probably should have.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
The only reason why crosby didn't do a wrap around in front of the net was due to the fact there were like 4 players, and their respected defenders in a box and there was no room for him to do so. It had nothing to do with Spezza containing him.

Crosby was about 2 feet ahead of Spezza on that entire play and was simply faster. I don't really blame Spezza that much as it is hard enough to catch a player who is in that position, let alone if you are substantially slower and less mobile than the other guy. He could have attempted to cross check him in the back to knock him over, and probably should have.

and take a penalty? Why is it Spezza's fault that the the rest of team was standing around watching him and Crosby?

Crosby barely got the pass away because spezza was defending him so well, despite being slower and less mobile. He doesn't let Crosby get to any prime scoring area so he's forced to dish it off to the point before he loses the puck.

It matters because people are tired of seeing 'sens fans' come in here and rag on Spezza for no reason. Did that poster really need to say, "in the video montage add the clip of crosby schooling him." I don't want this play being added to the narrative of Spezza. If you don't stand up against it people begin to think it's true.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
My thought was always that Spezza played that Crosby thing really well. I know people need someone to blame but really it was hardly his fault. Sutton fails to clear the puck with possession earlier in the sequence and Elliott completely whiffs on a routine shot that should always be saved.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I know this might sound funny because our goalies suck a wraparounds, but wraparounds are fairly easy to stop. That's why you don't see much of them after novice.

That had more to do with Crosby's decision of not doing a wraparound.

Yes, Crosby has scored on wraparounds but he's scored from anywhere.

The fact that his highest percentage play was to pass it to the point is evidence of good defensive play on spezzas part. Especially for an offense-first player.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
This.

I'm far from a Spezza apologist, but that whole play was massively overwrought from the word go by PxP Bob Cole, and blown up into something it never was.. which was Spezza getting schooled.

The only reason anyone even remembers that play is because Brian Elliott **** the bed.

I have a special bone to pick with the Sun on that one. Before that game the Sens came back with a split from Pittsburgh. And what was the headline and feature article in the Sun? Sens stars outplayed by Crosby!

There was a picture of Spezza and one of Alfie, one on the front page and one with the feature article. It was our old friend Donnie who said how much he hates to be thought a homer. I thought the whole thing was Donnie showing off for visiting sports writers. Anyway it threw a spotlight on them. I think that spotlight is why that one play drew so much negative response.

Anyway Donnie also thinks fans should boo Spezza tonight. Donnie is big on fans booing players.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
and take a penalty? Why is it Spezza's fault that the the rest of team was standing around watching him and Crosby?

Yes, somebody should have helped him. It is exactly the same fixed, ridged system paul maclean used, which caused so many embarrassing moments over the last two years. Thank god that seems to be over. It is such an iconic moment as it represented exactly what happened in the entire series. The whole team got killed off by Pittsburgh, and marked the moment a rebuild was necessary.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Yes, somebody should have helped him. It is exactly the same fixed, ridged system paul maclean used, which caused so many embarrassing moments over the last two years. Thank god that seems to be over. It is such an iconic moment as it represented exactly what happened in the entire series. The whole team got killed off by Pittsburgh, and marked the moment a rebuild was necessary.

1st time using the ignore button. Thanks.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Did you miss the goals Nyquist, Stamkos and others have scored by skating around our entire team this season? Here's a refresher...

Make special note of the fact that there is no one wearing #19 on our team.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The Hoffman-Pageau-Chiasson line has to potential to really exploit defensive matchups. A speedster with skill, a puck hound with speed, and a great boardwork guy with size. I see them causing some headaches for Dallas.

Michalek-Turris-Stone will be interesting, and hopefully MacArthur can regain some confidence playing with Zibanejad and Ryan.

Lazar Condra and Neil has the potential to disapoint imo. Not sure if I'd prefer Legwand or Neil in the lineup. Probaly Legwand to be honest. Neil doesn't help on Special teams and has to be sheltered at ES, but can add a spark with a hit or a fight should the team need a bit of a wake up call.
I agree. The first three lines are intriguing, but the 4th could use Legwand over Neil. Maybe they want to see Lazar play centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad