Rumor: Stars getting calls on Julius Honka

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Surprised to hear anyone's calling about him, to be honest. Had a very forgettable past season
Means his value is low.

He has the potential and a change of scenery could be exactly what he needs. If a team is willing to try him on QBing the 2nd PP he could flourish.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
3rd Pair RD, 2PP, and is cheap cheap cheap has some value to certain cash strapped teams.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Remember Nikita Scherbak? The same thing is going to happen to this guy. He'll be snagged off waivers. The only thing working in his favor right now is his age and the fact that he's a RHD. That might keep him off waivers, but who knows.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Toronto could use him as 3rd pair D...we're gonna have a few holes to fill. Ugh...

I figured they'd finally give Calle Rosen a shot.....signed over two years ago and he's been stuck down with the Marlies ever since. :help:

He is a lefty though....but still, don't the Leafs have a couple other players they should be promoting from within? I figured that was the plan all along.

Reactions: TommyG29

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I remember watching OT game about 2 years ago and Honka looked like future star player. Weird that he can't put it all together.

Reactions: Kuola

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He’ll be a waiver pickup soon, don’t see him going for much.
He is in an extremely similar position to what Oleksiak was in when we traded him to the Pens. You might not like it as a fan but GM's tend to value players with the 1st round tag next to their name. I assume if we move him it will be for a similar mid round pick if not for a player that also needs a change of scenery

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
What went on with him. He looked promising in the AHL
Played great in the AHL, and then looked very solid under Ruff in the last 16 games of Ruff's Tenure. Then we went from a full offensive system to a Hitchcock system and Hitch tried to coach out the aspects of his game that made him a 1st round talent and he lost all confidence. Fast forward to this year and he still was not great but by no means was he awful. When Klinger went down he was given the opportunity to take over and unsurprisingly the kid working to regain his confidence couldnt replace the play of our best Dman.

From what we have heard thanks to Shapiros writing is our Coach loved him in pre season but he took a step back early season and then didnt nail his showcase during the Klinger injury. That made him fall out of favour in the coaches eyes but he apparently has a great attitude about all this and has worked his way back into good terms with all but Bowness, the assistant who is in charge of our D. So while he doesnt seem like a waste to all our coaches, Shapiro seems to think that as long as Bowness is running the D in Dallas Honka will never play a game

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I can see a Honka - Hudon deal being something interesting. If Hudon can regain his form then he's a decent 3rd liner.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Swap him with another struggling prospect. Change of sceneries could work for both sides

His value is extremely minimal but every team has a prospect that they are dissapointed in to potentially swap him for

Reactions: NNCbama

Taurrax

Jun 20, 2019
Leafs need to get in on this. Play him as the 6/7 Dman and hope he improves/fits in our system better. If it doesn't work out he's cheap and can be moved to the AHL or elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad