Rumor: Stars getting calls on Julius Honka

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
If he sucks HALF as a bad as people in this thread are saying then Dallas could have solved this problem by no qualifying him. That's simply not the case. He has SOME value, but I'm guessing Dallas is asking too much in return for somebody who has proven next to nothing.

That being said, I doubt any GM is going to give up a thieve's ransom for Honka, but if he were to hit waivers than he's 100% getting claimed. A 23 year old former first rounder and RHD would never pass through waivers in today's NHL.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
I wonder if something around Puljujarvi for Honka and a 3rd would make sense. I know dallas would love it. Seems like a realistic trade that will get absolutely bashed on from HF lol

Agreed. This is one of the more realistic trade proposals I've seen here. One reclamation project for another. Neither are waiver exempt and both are RFAs who need resigned. Edmonton takes on a player who could potentially help their awful defense and Dallas gets even more offense. Surrounding Poolparty with elite level skill could instantly boost his confidence. I like this move for both teams. It makes so much sense that it might just work haha.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
Agreed. This is one of the more realistic trade proposals I've seen here. One reclamation project for another. Neither are waiver exempt and both are RFAs who need resigned. Edmonton takes on a player who could potentially help their awful defense and Dallas gets even more offense. Surrounding Poolparty with elite level skill could instantly boost his confidence. I like this move for both teams. It makes so much sense that it might just work haha.

Dallas would need to clear some space. How about Honka + Janmark for Puljujarvi?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I’m mind blown by a positive response hahah

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
With the Stars shortage on draft picks I bet they're trying to get someone to give up a conditional 4th or something like that that can possibly become a 3rd. Stars writers seem to believe they're being patient to try and force desperate teams to pay their price for a RD as the season gets closer and cap situations get tighter

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If he sucks HALF as a bad as people in this thread are saying then Dallas could have solved this problem by no qualifying him. That's simply not the case. He has SOME value, but I'm guessing Dallas is asking too much in return for somebody who has proven next to nothing.

That being said, I doubt any GM is going to give up a thieve's ransom for Honka, but if he were to hit waivers than he's 100% getting claimed. A 23 year old former first rounder and RHD would never pass through waivers in today's NHL.

Jordan Schmaltz Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Waived: - Schmaltz Put on Waivers (cleared)

Reactions: Satan

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I’d just like a draft pick to be honest. Our roster is basically set so no need for a reclamation project on forward, we already have that in Perry and a big question mark with Gurianov.

a 4th + contract since he's waivers eligible??

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Definitely Dubas' type.

He'd fit in great here.

Dubas is a guy who values high IQ out of everyone. With his defensemen especially, he expects high defensive IQ. That's a question mark for Honka.

Honka does have good offensive IQ, but that hasn't come out in the NHL yet.

The Leafs took Kokkonen over Honka's brother this past year. Anttoni is what everyone thinks Dubas likes (smooth skating puck moving defenseman), but instead they took a guy with super high IQ but some skating issues. He does still have skill and puck moving ability though.

So no, I don't think he's Dubas' type because Dubas' type is having high hockey IQ.

That being said, Dubas has taken chances on IQ question marks. Loponen was a guy whose main issue was his defensive IQ. He has good offensive IQ, and has a nice skill set. He was also physical despite being slightly below average in size (5'11", 190 for now). However that was in the 7th round, and they are likely banking on his defensive IQ struggles being attributed to being a young guy in a men's league (he mostly played Mestis last year) and that it'll improve with age and experience.

Honka has age and experience in North America now. He's turning 24 this year. If it's a problem now, it likely won't ever be fixed. That being said, if it only cost Dubas something like Petan + Holl, perhaps he's a project for the development staff to undertake and he can watch most of the season from the press box again as he tries to improve his defensive ability (and harness his offensive ability). At best he's a sheltered offensive defenseman who can pass off being in an NHL top 6, but at least that is something the Leafs can use more than another smaller skilled winger like Petan.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I’d just like a draft pick to be honest. Our roster is basically set so no need for a reclamation project on forward, we already have that in Perry and a big question mark with Gurianov.

The reclamation project is likely going to be more worthwhile than the quality of pick you'd get, if you even get one.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

His QO is like 1.5 iirc and he has no arb rights so there's not a lot of risk to extending him a QO and keeping his rights. He could probably return you a mid round pick or be a throw-in in a trade. Or you keep him and give him one last shot, but I think Dallas has moved on and he will not play another game for the organization.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'd rather keep the 4th. It's more likely to turn out than Honka TBH.

I don't have the numbers but anecdotally, I wanna say this is incorrect. Honka seems to be at least an impact player in the American League and could serve as a call up NHL player. I want to say that most 4th rounders aren't even impact or regular guys in the American league.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I disagree. 2020 4th won't help the Leafs until 2023 at the earliest in all likelihood.

With the way the Leafs develop their talent, neither will our 2020 2nd round pick. Honka is not going to help the Leafs any time soon either. Not any more than the numerous depth signings we made. His value is 100% due to the potential he once possessed and perhaps, with a lot of work, being able to become something useful. That alone is going to take at least one year.

Unlike Honka, we have time to develop that 4th round pick and iron out their issues. Honka is turning 24 and have to fix problems that should have been fixed when he was 20. Really the only thing that makes him intriguing at all is that he gives us a project that is younger than Justin Holl. That's about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad