Rumor: Stars getting calls on Julius Honka

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't have the numbers but anecdotally, I wanna say this is incorrect. Honka seems to be at least an impact player in the American League and could serve as a call up NHL player. I want to say that most 4th rounders aren't even impact or regular guys in the American league.

Most 4th rounders do not turn into anything, but there is still a chance and you have a lot more time to go through the process to turn them into something a lot better than you are going to get out of Honka.

I would be willing to bet that teams would rather have a guy whom they season for multiple years than a guy who maybe has one more year of promise, and a significant amount of work that needs to be done in that time, to become maybe a guy similar in quality to what you could find in the 4th round.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
True enough but in that case I’d probably rather keep Honka as our own project.

That's fair. Really there is no reason to get rid of him unless you don't think he's going to be able to fit in with your team long term, is blocking someone, or you can get someone who has a better chance of turning out for your team.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Stars have moved on from Honka, and he won't stay (IMHO). Good skater but his confidence has been killed by the Stars to where he is a bit hesitant to make a mistake. That skating ability, plus the fact that guys the Stars couldn't develop like Jamie O and Nemeth turned out to be decent 3rd pair (at least) guys elsewhere will probably have someone taking a chance.

Doubt he brings much more than a 6th, but Stars probably lobbying for someone else's reclamation project they really like, probably a FW to be placed in the AHL this year. Or, a 5th, since that is their lucky draft round.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Dubas is a guy who values high IQ out of everyone. With his defensemen especially, he expects high defensive IQ. That's a question mark for Honka.

Honka does have good offensive IQ, but that hasn't come out in the NHL yet.

The Leafs took Kokkonen over Honka's brother this past year. Anttoni is what everyone thinks Dubas likes (smooth skating puck moving defenseman), but instead they took a guy with super high IQ but some skating issues. He does still have skill and puck moving ability though.

So no, I don't think he's Dubas' type because Dubas' type is having high hockey IQ.

That being said, Dubas has taken chances on IQ question marks. Loponen was a guy whose main issue was his defensive IQ. He has good offensive IQ, and has a nice skill set. He was also physical despite being slightly below average in size (5'11", 190 for now). However that was in the 7th round, and they are likely banking on his defensive IQ struggles being attributed to being a young guy in a men's league (he mostly played Mestis last year) and that it'll improve with age and experience.

Honka has age and experience in North America now. He's turning 24 this year. If it's a problem now, it likely won't ever be fixed. That being said, if it only cost Dubas something like Petan + Holl, perhaps he's a project for the development staff to undertake and he can watch most of the season from the press box again as he tries to improve his defensive ability (and harness his offensive ability). At best he's a sheltered offensive defenseman who can pass off being in an NHL top 6, but at least that is something the Leafs can use more than another smaller skilled winger like Petan.

I think he likes analytic darlings, and Honka fits that mould whether Dallas fans like him or not (See Kerfoot, Alex). He rates both above average offensively and defensively according to his isolated impact the last three years.

upload_2019-7-12_13-9-21.png

Above average in transition (especially exiting the zone), with above average shot contributions across the board. Weak at breaking up plays at the blueline, but not hopeless defensively.

upload_2019-7-12_13-14-26.png

Based on GAR/60 minutes, he ranks JUST behind Rielly/Gardiner which would make him our 3rd most valuable defenseman last season (per 60), which just shows that he's definitely doing something right even strength. Just keep him away from the PK/PP.

upload_2019-7-12_13-17-18.png

Adding him to our bottom pairing doesn't even seem like a project imo. Just let him play his game. He'll make mistakes, but he also brings value and potential :dunno:

Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Ceci (ugh)
Dermott-Honka

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think he likes analytic darlings, and Honka fits that mould whether Dallas fans like him or not (See Kerfoot, Alex). He rates both above average offensively and defensively according to his isolated impact the last three years.

View attachment 244377

Above average in transition (especially exiting the zone), with above average shot contributions across the board. Weak at breaking up plays at the blueline, but not hopeless defensively.

View attachment 244381

Based on GAR/60 minutes, he ranks JUST behind Rielly/Gardiner which would make him our 3rd most valuable defenseman last season (per 60), which just shows that he's definitely doing something right even strength. Just keep him away from the PK/PP.

View attachment 244383

Adding him to our bottom pairing doesn't even seem like a project imo. Just let him play his game. He'll make mistakes, but he also brings value and potential :dunno:

Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Ceci (ugh)
Dermott-Honka

That's in a heavily sheltered role though. Like if all he can do is be a semi-decent guy playing 13 minutes a night without special teams or going up against any competition, you can find a bunch of defensemen who look good in those situations. At least if they are expected to be puck movers. That just shows me that Honka is not a total lost cause as is, and there may still be something there worth investing in. If he had terrible possession numbers or whatever in that role, then what are you getting out of him?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I hope the Ducks aren't calling about Honka. Honka is gonna be a bust and his brother looks to be no different as he massively fell in the draft.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Stars have moved on from Honka, and he won't stay (IMHO). Good skater but his confidence has been killed by the Stars to where he is a bit hesitant to make a mistake. That skating ability, plus the fact that guys the Stars couldn't develop like Jamie O and Nemeth turned out to be decent 3rd pair (at least) guys elsewhere will probably have someone taking a chance.

Doubt he brings much more than a 6th, but Stars probably lobbying for someone else's reclamation project they really like, probably a FW to be placed in the AHL this year. Or, a 5th, since that is their lucky draft round.

Once Honka's moved, I'll make note of the return for later reference.......might get him back for a full refund in a year or two. :laugh:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
That's in a heavily sheltered role though. Like if all he can do is be a semi-decent guy playing 13 minutes a night without special teams or going up against any competition, you can find a bunch of defensemen who look good in those situations. At least if they are expected to be puck movers. That just shows me that Honka is not a total lost cause as is, and there may still be something there worth investing in. If he had terrible possession numbers or whatever in that role, then what are you getting out of him?

He's definitely been a 3rd pairing defenseman, but it doesn't appear to be in a "heavily sheltered role" based on his QoC and zone starts. Even if he's heavily sheltered, he put up enough GAR last season to be our 6th most valuable defenseman overall, in 29 games. That's not the kind of production you get out of the "bunch of defenseman" you're referring to.

It's not like we would need him on the PP/PK either.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He's definitely been a 3rd pairing defenseman, but it doesn't appear to be in a "heavily sheltered role" based on his QoC and zone starts. Even if he's heavily sheltered, he put up enough GAR last season to be our 6th most valuable defenseman overall, in 29 games. That's not the kind of production you get out of the "bunch of defenseman" you're referring to.

It's not like we would need him on the PP/PK either.

I'd do something like Holl and Timashov

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I wonder if something around Puljujarvi for Honka and a 3rd would make sense. I know dallas would love it. Seems like a realistic trade that will get absolutely bashed on from HF lol
Not bad as Dallas really dont need Honka.
Problem is Puljujärvi cant be sent to AHL, waivers.
And he needs time at AHL, Europe.
Well, baby Dallas could make a deal with Pulju so that he played one year at Europe.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Honka is like a faster defense version of Yakupov. Chased by bees but much much faster.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
will offer expiring Namest at 4.0
he's overpriced and has not found the magic he had with Stamkos
but
he is NHL capable.
And you might get lucky and he can find chemistry with the right linemates.

Will throw in rights to RD Julius Bergman, off to Sweden for 2 yrs.

Rangers will take cap relief and outside chance he suddenly puts it together.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
will offer expiring Namest at 4.0
he's overpriced and has not found the magic he had with Stamkos
but
he is NHL capable.
And you might get lucky and he can find chemistry with the right linemates.

Will throw in rights to RD Julius Bergman, off to Sweden for 2 yrs.

Rangers will take cap relief and outside chance he suddenly puts it together.
How nice of you...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars don't want anything back that has to be put on the roster. They're close to the cap and the roster is pretty much set outside a few spots where prospects will get a shot to make the team.

Honka had his shot when everybody but Lindell , Heiskanen and Polak was injured and he did not play well. His analytics allways look great but when you watch the games he just looks terrible. Montgomery , who is fond of analytics , refused to use Honka down the stretch and even played Dillon Heatherington over him in the playoffs. Honka beeing so bad is why the team traded for Ben Lovejoy at the deadline. Montgomery was overusing the 6 regular guys because Honka was not trusted even when some clearly needed a break .

Honka is a very mistake prone small puckmover who plays even smaller than he is. You often here of small guys who play like bigger guys , well Honka is the opposite . He plays like he's 2 feet tall .

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Honka was a healthy scratch for 30 games last season, and didn't get a sniff in the playoffs. And it's news that the Stars are trying to deal him? A shocker.

Seriously. a 5'11 and 180 pound d-man who generates virtually no offense, at least at the NHL level, is a liability few teams can afford. My guess is he eventually heads back to Finland or Europe to play.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta

View attachment 244377

View attachment 244381

View attachment 244383

Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Ceci (ugh)
Dermott-Honka

What you dont see in those stats are horrendous rookie mistakes he still does.
He can play well and then in a second gift opponent a goal.
And they are like ugly mistakes.

He is just unreliable.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Honestly think Vegas, TB, Winnipeg, Toronto, Pit or LA would be smart to acquire him. Needs a change of scenery. Low risk, medium reward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->