Movies: Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi, for those who have seen it! (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Like the Red Letter Media guys said in their review, I also started to chuckle right before and as Snoke was being killed. His dialogue was so cartoon super-villainish it was another point in the movie where I started to actually think I was being pranked.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
"Jedi Knight force adept."

What is that and what way are you measuring it?

I'm hardly an expert but I think that's fair video game-y terms for Star Wars.

Force adept: someone who can use the force. Also works as the first 'rank' in that those with it have no control but can pull off incredible feats on instinct

Rankings:
Adept
Apprentice/Padawan
Jedi Knight
Jedi Master

Basically going by the OT, Luke would be an adept in ANH, an apprentice in ESB, and a Jedi Knight in RotJ. By the time we get to TFA he's a Jedi Master.

If you want to make a comparison out of it, at the apprentice level after getting his but kicked by Vader in ESB there's the iconic point in RotJ where as a Jedi Knight Luke voluntarily goes to Vader and ends up confronting the Emperor. With the new trilogy, that gets fast forwarded and Rey ends up confronting Snope with Kylo Ren right in the 2nd movie without much of a learning curve.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Have you watched ROTJ by chance?

While there are some similarities, there are some key differences, I think.

* The Emperor didn't berate Vader and make a big deal about knowing his thoughts to make his eventual death seem more humiliating.

* The Emperor had time to realize that Vader was turning on him and, arguably, fought back by directing an ultimately lethal dose of lightning into him. Snoke was dead before he could react (unless making a funny, surprised face counts).

* Vader killed the Emperor to save his son, which was a noble sacrifice (of both his position of power and his life). Kylo killed Snoke because he was mistreated and to inherit his position, which were bitter, selfish and power-hungry motives.

* Besides promoting the theme of sacrifice, the Emperor's death also provided redemption for Vader. Kylo killing Snoke didn't really contribute to any themes (except, maybe, karma).

Because of those circumstances, the Emperor's death didn't feel lame, IMO. It wasn't trying to be cool, but poignant and powerful. Snoke's death, on the other hand, lacked any poignancy or power and just came across as a cool scene that we were supposed to cheer for, and when you try to be cool and fail, you usually end up looking lame.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The scenes in ROTJ with Luke/Vader/Emperor are some of the best in the whole trilogy and all of Star Wars.

Ian McDiarmid is also fantastic as the Emperor. His portrayal is a bit over the top (in a good way) but never goes so far as to become campy or hammy. He takes it right to the edge but walks the line perfectly creating a fun memorable character. Snoke on the other hand is silly and forgettable.

Last edited:
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
* Vader killed the Emperor to save his son, which was a noble sacrifice (of both his position of power and his life). Kylo killed Snoke because he was mistreated and to inherit his position, which were bitter, selfish and power-hungry motives.

To be fair, this is what Vader wanted to do at the end of ESB.

I didn't really have an issue with how the scene was executed but more the lack of gravitas because there was so little build-up, either in the scene or in the two films up to that point.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We may yet find out. It also leaves it open for the growing canon EU to address. As well as the Resistance tv show that’s coming and is set in that time period.

I don't envy the "canon" people right now.

They must be doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to try and successfully incorporate the new films into the existing SW universe.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm hardly an expert but I think that's fair video game-y terms for Star Wars.

Force adept: someone who can use the force. Also works as the first 'rank' in that those with it have no control but can pull off incredible feats on instinct

Rankings:
Adept
Apprentice/Padawan
Jedi Knight
Jedi Master

Basically going by the OT, Luke would be an adept in ANH, an apprentice in ESB, and a Jedi Knight in RotJ. By the time we get to TFA he's a Jedi Master.

If you want to make a comparison out of it, at the apprentice level after getting his but kicked by Vader in ESB there's the iconic point in RotJ where as a Jedi Knight Luke voluntarily goes to Vader and ends up confronting the Emperor. With the new trilogy, that gets fast forwarded and Rey ends up confronting Snope with Kylo Ren right in the 2nd movie without much of a learning curve.

Rey didnt confront sh*t.

Snoke toyed with her and had her under complete physical and mental control like a child throwing around a stuffed animal. She showed zero power or resistance in the entire interaction.

It doesnt take any Force power to walk up to a main bad guy and get destroyed.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
While there are some similarities, there are some key differences, I think.

* The Emperor didn't berate Vader and make a big deal about knowing his thoughts to make his eventual death seem more humiliating.

* The Emperor had time to realize that Vader was turning on him and, arguably, fought back by directing an ultimately lethal dose of lightning into him. Snoke was dead before he could react (unless making a funny, surprised face counts).

* Besides promoting the theme of sacrifice, the Emperor's death also provided redemption for Vader. Kylo killing Snoke didn't really contribute to any themes (except, maybe, karma).

Because of those circumstances, the Emperor's death didn't feel lame, IMO. It wasn't trying to be cool, but poignant and powerful. Snoke's death, on the other hand, lacked any poignancy or power and just came across as a cool scene that we were supposed to cheer for, and when you try to be cool and fail, you usually end up looking lame.

you're leaving out that the emporer's whole end goal was to get Luke to kill Vader and complete his journey to the dark side.

Kylo killing Snoke was exactly that. Yes it was bitter, selfish and power hungry....because that's what the dark side is! Kylo killing Snoke was him completing his journey to the dark side and taking power as the supreme leader.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Do people still defend this pile of shit?

giphy.gif

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

landscape-1516636474-luke-skywalker-shoulder-brush-star-wars-last-jedi.gif

Reactions: NyQuil

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't envy the "canon" people right now.

They must be doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to try and successfully incorporate the new films into the existing SW universe.

Which, from my perspective, is an ass backwards way to approach it. I prefer to modify my understanding of the SW universe based on new information.

I agree with you. I don’t envy them either.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Which, from my perspective, is an ass backwards way to approach it. I prefer to modify my understanding of the SW universe based on new information.

Yeah but the writers really couldn’t give two shits about continuity so it’s up to the uber nerds to try and explain it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah but the writers really couldn’t give two ****s about continuity so it’s up to the uber nerds to try and explain it.

There are no continuity issues in the SW universe that I’m aware of... as long as you consider all of the old EU stuff to be out the window.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There are no continuity issues in the SW universe that I’m aware of... as long as you consider all of the old EU stuff to be out the window.

I'm glad they replaced Y-wings and B-wings with ships that have to fly over their targets and release bombs.

I'll just assume that technology took a few giant leaps backward.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm glad they replaced Y-wings and B-wings with ships that have to fly over their targets and release bombs.

1) that’s not a continuity problem
2) Y wing bombers did the same thing, although not with nearly the number of bombs and power. Yes, they were also equipped with torpedoes
3) the Resistance is nowhere near as well funded as the Rebellion was

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

couldnt possibly be that the resistance was decimated and those bombers were the best they had left.

and its not like any military has ever used slower/vulnerable bombers with large payloads (ahem, B52) while having faster ones that carry less (ahem, B1, B2) at their disposal

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
couldnt possibly be that the resistance was decimated and those bombers were the best they had left.

and its not like any military has ever used slower/vulnerable bombers with large payloads (ahem, B52) while having faster ones that carry less (ahem, B1, B2) at their disposal

This is more like the US bringing out the B-17 in the Vietnam War.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
More evidence of Star Wars brand damage, checking my email, EB Games Friday deals includes a bunch of old games for $5....the newest game on sale and the only current generation game in their flyer, Star Wars: Battlefront for PS4 is on sale for $5.00.

2med.jpg

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
More evidence of Star Wars brand damage, checking my email, EB Games Friday deals includes a bunch of old games for $5....the newest game on sale and the only current generation game in their flyer, Star Wars: Battlefront for PS4 is on sale for $5.00.

2med.jpg

its a recycled used game put up for sale by EBgames not a new version price drop by Disney. Really reaching here.

Oh wow a GOTG POP doll is on sale for 5.00 !!! must be brand damage from GOTG2 which wasn't that great!! see how dumb that sounds.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Rey didnt confront sh*t.

Snoke toyed with her and had her under complete physical and mental control like a child throwing around a stuffed animal. She showed zero power or resistance in the entire interaction.

It doesnt take any Force power to walk up to a main bad guy and get destroyed.

I was more talking about the big brawl after where she fought on equal footing with Kylo, who wasn't going to take down Snope in a straight on confrontation either.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
its a recycled used game put up for sale by EBgames not a new version price drop by Disney. Really reaching here.

Oh wow a GOTG POP doll is on sale for 5.00 !!! must be brand damage from GOTG2 which wasn't that great!! see how dumb that sounds.

There's still the fact that Disney closed down Lucas Arts studio's and hired EA to make all their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad