Online Series: Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Oh man, another episode where he goes to a new planet and does a side quest with one of the locals.

This show desperately lacks direction and a main plot.
I mean, yeah, the show is about a bounty hunter, so we're going to see a lot of...bounty hunting. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I mean, yeah, the show is about a bounty hunter, so we're going to see a lot of...bounty hunting. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

Monster of the week shows with two minutes of story development an episode are fine when you have 20+ episodes in a season.. When you have less than 10 episodes, you expect to see story development at a regular pace rather than a collection of filler episodes.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Mando lost his family when he was young. He has no home other then his ship. His profession is bounty hunting and you don't tend to make a lot of friends doing that. He takes bounty hunting jobs as well as other jobs to pay for equipment,food,fuel and repairs for his ship.

Mando isn't a Rebel fighting against a evil empire. I don't understand peoples complaints about this show especially with side quests when it involves bounty hunting like episode 5 did. What exactly are people expecting a bounty hunter show to be?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Mando lost his family when he was young. He has no home other then his ship. His profession is bounty hunting and you don't tend to make a lot of friends doing that. He takes bounty hunting jobs as well as other jobs to pay for equipment,food,fuel and repairs for his ship.

Mando isn't a Rebel fighting against a evil empire. I don't understand peoples complaints about this show especially side quests when it involves bounty hunting like episode 5 did. What exactly are people expecting a bounty hunter show to be?

Well, if they hadn't had him stop being a bounty hunter in episode two and placed the focus on The Child... I'd agree with you.

But now the expectation is that this show somehow ties in with the Skywalker saga and they're taking their time getting there.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I wonder if they are ever going to dare come up with anything new with this show. Literally everything they've come up with is recycling something from the Star Wars movies. They return to Tatooine in the latest episode, and it's already the 2nd Jawa inhabited desert planet they've visited in five episodes of this show. How many desert planets are there going to be in the Star Wars universe? There's a segment of fans who will revolt over them taking anything Star Wars related into a new direction, but personally I have no interest in just watching something that reminds me of what came before. Yes Baby Yoda is cute, and kind of irresistible, the way videos of puppies and kittens are irresistible. But this Baby Yoda is performing some kind of Jedi Mind Trick on the audience, convincing them something that has absolutely no originality so far is something fantastic. Even Baby Yoda is recycled.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Well, if they hadn't had him stop being a bounty hunter in episode two and placed the focus on The Child... I'd agree with you.

But now the expectation is that this show somehow ties in with the Skywalker saga and they're taking their time getting there.

He tried finding a backwater planet for a safe place for the baby only to be found. He needs money to get around and survive and he knows how to bounty hunt so he is looking to do what he knows best. If he doesn't do that how else is he going to get money if he doesn't get it from side quest like helping to protect a village or from bounty hunting?

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
A very childish episode. Really bad acting and dialog.

It seems each episode is getting more and more childish, which is fine if that's what you want, but they might as well have made this a cartoon.

Baby Yoda's cuteness is wearing off.

This had the worst score of any episode also.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
He tried finding a backwater planet for a safe place for the baby only to be found. He needs money to get around and survive and he knows how to bounty hunt so he is looking to do what he knows best. If he doesn't do that how else is he going to get money if he doesn't get it from side quest like helping to protect a village or from bounty hunting?

You can have some of the "side quests" happen off screen.
I didnt have an issue with episode 4.
Episode 5 was just lazy filler with no purpose other than to make us wonder about a foot that shows up in the final scene of the episode.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seems like whether you consider the references to the past movies to be “fan service” or “Easter Eggs” depends on how cynical you are. It’s a Star Wars show, there are going to be references to past works - I wish some people would get over that.

I wish that some people would read what others wrote before commenting on it. No one has complained about there being any references to past works.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Some people, scratch that, a lot of people find bitching and complaining about every little detail a must in today’s society. It’s the “cool” thing now a days to shit on every little thing instead of turning the show off and not watching it.

I have enjoyed the show so far and will continue to watch it. I find it refreshing that we get a show that has a different perspective on the Star Wars universe with a little fan service added in.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I wish that some people would read what others wrote before commenting on it. No one has complained about there being any references to past works.

Kind of ironic that you yourself had a comment a few pages back about the latest episode being too fan-service-y.

Reactions: HanSolo

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Some people, scratch that, a lot of people find *****ing and complaining about every little detail a must in today’s society. It’s the “cool” thing now a days to **** on every little thing instead of turning the show off and not watching it.

We're all hockey fans here. When you love something enough, you don't necessarily stop watching just because you have criticisms.

Kind of ironic that you yourself had a comment a few pages back about the latest episode being too fan-service-y.

That's what I was referring to. You're equating calling the episode too fan service-y with complaining that there's any fan service.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Not being a part of The Guild doesn't mean you aren't a bounty hunter any less than going from the NHL to the KHL still makes you a hockey player. I really find this point baffling.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Not being a part of The Guild doesn't mean you aren't a bounty hunter any less than going from the NHL to the KHL still makes you a hockey player. I really find this point baffling.

To me, it takes the focus away. He's more adoptive father /babysitter than bounty hunter now.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Some people, scratch that, a lot of people find *****ing and complaining about every little detail a must in today’s society. It’s the “cool” thing now a days to **** on every little thing instead of turning the show off and not watching it.

I have enjoyed the show so far and will continue to watch it. I find it refreshing that we get a show that has a different perspective on the Star Wars universe with a little fan service added in.
I mean we should probably start getting used to complaints like this. Even in Game of Thrones' good seasons, people would complain about episodes that didn't advance the plot enough.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
To me, it takes the focus away. He's more adoptive father /babysitter than bounty hunter now.
Except he literally went seeking a bounty to do to continue moving along. Again, as others have asked, I don't know what you're expecting from a show about a bounty hunter. A bounty hunter's life is always focused on the next job. I really thought it was implied simply by the premise that this show would have monster of the week diversions.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I mean we should probably start getting used to complaints like this. Even in Game of Thrones' good seasons, people would complain about episodes that didn't advance the plot enough.

When you don't know where the show is going, and have 1/4 of the season shown back to back as filler, the second of which was a completely lazily written episode. .. It starts to create some frustration.

Except he literally went seeking a bounty to do to continue moving along. Again, as others have asked, I don't know what you're expecting from a show about a bounty hunter. A bounty hunter's life is always focused on the next job. I really thought it was implied simply by the premise that this show would have monster of the week diversions.

The first three episodes had a coherent arc that advanced at a decent pace. Fourth episode was a bit of character development filler. Fifth episode was empty calories.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
When you don't know where the show is going, and have 1/4 of the season shown back to back as filler, the second of which was a completely lazily written episode. .. It starts to create some frustration.
Speak for yourself, I'm fine with it. This show is clearly a sci-fi homage to classic Western serials that often didn't have grand overarching plots. This show isn't trying to be Breaking Bad in space and for your frustration's sake I'd suggest you stop expecting it to be.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Speak for yourself, I'm fine with it. This show is clearly a sci-fi homage to classic Western serials that often didn't have grand overarching plots. This show isn't trying to be Breaking Bad in space and for your frustration's sake I'd suggest you stop expecting it to be.

I'm fine with Veronica Mars in space too, but even they had better pacing with respect to a seasonal arc... Pure filler episodes have zero place in an eight episode season.

As far as it being an homage to Western serials, well, nowadays that's an incredibly small niche to appeal to without updating for current audience tastes.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
79131012_10162542974140257_3596674406161580032_n.jpg

Reactions: Burnoutboi

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm fine with Veronica Mars in space too, but even they had better pacing with respect to a seasonal arc... Pure filler episodes have zero place in an eight episode season.

As far as it being an homage to Western serials, well, nowadays that's an incredibly small niche to appeal to without updating for current audience tastes.

That's a subjective opinion masquerading as objective fact. You and others may want a show with each episode being important to the overarching narrative but I object to that being a question of taste.

You're holding the first live action Star Wars show to the same narrative principles that should ordinarily govern a cinematic saga. But that's not always how serials work. Maybe, just maybe, this first season isn't meant to have some grand operatic plot to it. Having "the Child" be a part of this narrative and The Mando gunning his way out of the Guild is what grounds the plot in having some stakes, but seeing as this show happens in the 30 years between episode 6 and 7 there's plenty of time and room for "filler" adventures.

It comes down to unreasonable expectations that you seem to have placed on what this show was supposed to be. It seems you'd only (I can only assume) accept a "monster of the week" device in a Star Wars show if the first couple episodes hadn't laid a plot and narrative stakes, but that would be a terrible show. Maybe it's not the most compelling thing from a narrative perspective but maybe it's fine for an action/adventure show to have a limited scope.

If you don't like that, that's fine. Maybe the show isn't for you. For others, a brief live action adventure with a self contained story is satisfying television escapism. What isn't okay is you deciding what is an objective failure of narrative decision making on behalf of the entire audience.

Like I said, I and many others are more than content with the limited scope and self-contained story. What I'm not content with is being told that I am wrong in how I am being entertained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad