Online Series: Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's not a woke show, there really haven't been any woke moments either. You could argue that nostalgia is making the show a bit better than it deserves, but we should also experience a full season before making any real judgments.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
All in all, this series never would've left the drawing board if it didn't have the Star Wars trademark all over, to milk the fans. Now, considering the movies Disney have made, that basically all are dog poo (with some few exceptions, they were at least ok), I can understand the decision, because really, it isn't much worse. But if this was any other genre or any show without a trademark, it would've been shot down so hard, we never would've heard of it. Imagine a western TV-series with this manuscript? Never. Never ever, ever.

I get it, the music is on point, the camera shots are beautiful and so on. But, the manuscript is absolutely laughable. The story isn't even there. I ask myself, 5 episodes into an 8 episode season, is there even a point to all of this? Is there a story they want to tell, or do they want to sell baby-Yoda merchandise (no, they don't, those morons at Disney didn't even think about that, that's how much this series matters to them)?

Every second episode is basically a filler, in an 8 story season x 30 minutes. You could somewhat call them all fillers. It's unbelievable. ALL the immersion comes from Star Wars fans wanting to see the story of a Mandalorian bounty hunter. That's all, because this show is so, so weak it's not even funny. It's at the point of ridicule at this point.

It's not because you're talented you get a job in Hollywood today. It's because you know someone, is related to someone or polished someone's knob. All that drain of talent really, really shows these days. Hollywood or Disney, it doesn't matter, it's all the same. Woke remakes or weak original movies, with a clear agenda. Good luck with that.

This show is a B-series and that they spent more than $10m an episode to me says everything about their strategy. They throw money at it, because the talent isn't there. They could've done SO much more with SO much less money, to make a series about a Mandalorian bounty hunter in the Star Wars universe. Amateurs have shown 10 times as much with 100 times less resources, because they have an actual passion for a story. You know, the story that isn't there at all in this show.

I'll still watch it, but it's not exactly like I'm excited to wait for another episode. I'll watch it the same night, or two-three days after, it doesn't matter, because I'm not excited, but I have 30 minutes to spare and I'm bored.

For every episode, the more sure I am they - yet again - ****ed everything up, because they don't understand a problem isn't solved by throwing money at it. You can't make an episode better by rendering an AT-ST in there for 100% fan service, when the episode itself is garbage.

It's a very, very mediocre show. I will be surprised it'll even sniff a second season, because it's SO bad. Then again, this is why Disney bought the franchise. They can milk fans to their bones with mediocre garbage until they die. Of course we'll see another episode with more pointless, shallow episodes leading to nowhere.

Hey, next time you create a series, how about an actual story, with an arc, characters and so? Too much to ask? I thought so. It's extremely mediocre. It's still better than most Disney has produced about Star Wars. That says alot. I wouldn't exactly be sad it this was cancelled, because there's nothing to miss. Then again, I wouldn't exactly be sad if Disney went bankrupt either, because they don't care about making good movies and haven't done so for decades now.

I'm glad you guys are starting to see it. This is an unbelievably bad project. A ****ing space bounty hunter and a baby Yoda in weekly woke space adventures? That's pure **** that would have been satire a few years ago. But let's watch a pure evil corporation rip off westerns in the hackiest soulless way possible to sell Baby Yoda dolls.

The fight scenes are beyond tedious and all they have. You're going to have to sit through 10 minutes of pointless ****ing fights every episode that go nowhere because they have nothing else. You know no good guys are going to die because it's ****ing Disney and you know nothing interesting is going to happen because it's woke ****, so half of every episode is just a pointless circle jerk.

Why are things based in years in Nu-Star Wars? How presumptuous is it that the entire universe is still operating in earth years? Earth has never been referenced in Star Wars yet the entire galaxy still operates in it's notion of time? Ha, okay. Let me get my ****ing Mayan Calendar out so I can start trying to figure out the moon cycles of when Disney will bless us with their next offering.

Also, fat ******ed aliens pray to God like fat ******ed hipster humans? Ha, okay.

What does this **** have to even do with Star Wars other than an evil corporation trying to shove baby Yoda dolls down marks' throats before Christmas?

It's probably one of the most mindless things I've watched but it's interesting in that it shows so much of why things are the way they are in current year.

Your main character is wearing a ****ing mask through the entire show with a bunch of woo woo hocus pocus horse**** around that. And it's contrasted by him having absolutely no personality and a monotone voice which is like watching someone on a world record dose of morphine locked in a broken elevator for a hour every week. So in between boring tedious pointless fights your main character is as interesting as paint drying except paint drying has the ability to convey more range without the limitations imposed on the main character you're supposed to invest hours of your life into. Neon Green paint has more range and conveys more emotion than this main character.

This was literally the only Nu-Star Wars project I was interested in. How could you possibly **** up something as cool as the underworld of Star Wars. But God bless 'em... Baby ****ing Yoda.

Holy shit guys we get it. Don’t watch the show if you’re this upset and hate it this much. Do everyone a favor and just stop watching if it’s truly the worst thing ever for you.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
if it’s truly the worst thing ever for you.

I don't really consider corporate attempts to exploit childhood loyalties as the "worst thing ever" in my life. I consider it sad for other people but I'm merely just an observer. The originals were cool but Star Trek was just some cool movies from the 80s, not a religion for me.

Consume product.
Get excited for next product.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't really consider corporate attempts to exploit childhood loyalties as the "worst thing ever" in my life. I consider it sad for other people but I'm merely just an observer. The originals were cool but Star Trek was just some cool movies from the 80s, not a religion for me.

Consume product.
Get excited for next product.

You just went on a nearly 10 paragraph rant about how much of a problem you have with it. We get it, you don’t like it.

Reactions: Mantis

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Just let people enjoy what they want to enjoy. There are reasonable critiques for the show, but it's still way more good than bad. If you don't like it, why waste energy in convincing other people not to like it?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm not the biggest Star Wars guy but I'm enjoying this. Although to be fair, I'm not sure if I'm liking it this much just because of how adorable that little Yoda is. Whoever came up with the design/animations for it is a genius.

I think the strong and silent lead works well for this though. The only real misstep for me was Episode 4, it felt far too hokey, and I also find Gina Carano to be a distractingly bad actress.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'm not the biggest Star Wars guy but I'm enjoying this. Although to be fair, I'm not sure if I'm liking it this much just because of how adorable that little Yoda is. Whoever came up with the design/animations for it is a genius.

I think the strong and silent lead works well for this though. The only real misstep for me was Episode 4, it felt far too hokey, and I also find Gina Carano to be a distractingly bad actress.

Yeah I wasn’t a big fan of episode 4 either. More people seemed to dislike episode 5 than 4 though. They’re the two weakest imo.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I'll take a bad actress that is believable in fight scenes than a good actress in fight scenes that are not believable. It makes it more realistic. I do feel she has improved as an actress from some of her earlier work.

Reactions: Osprey

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah I wasn’t a big fan of episode 4 either. More people seemed to dislike episode 5 than 4 though. They’re the two weakest imo.
Yeah, they are both filler type episodes, so it's a tossup on which one people like more. There were aspects I liked in 5 more, but I just didn't really care about any of the side characters in it, except maybe Amy Sedaris' character.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'll take a bad actress that is believable in fight scenes than a good actress in fight scenes that are not believable. It makes it more realistic. I do feel she has improved as an actress from some of her earlier work.

Oh yeah, I certainly appreciate that aspect. One of my biggest pet peeves is actresses that do not look the part of playing the muscle. That being said... I don't know, it's just tough. She's really poor in the non-physical part of the role, although it's just an opinion.

5 was definitely the next weakest but still decent overall IMO.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You just went on a nearly 10 paragraph rant about how much of a problem you have with it. We get it, you don’t like it.

HFboards trifecta isn't complete until he complains about it in the Episode 9 thread and other threads.

By the way, it turns out Pascal wasn't on the set at all for episode 4 as he was preparing for stage production of King Lear.

Reactions: LarKing

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Oh yeah, I certainly appreciate that aspect. One of my biggest pet peeves is actresses that do not look the part of playing the muscle. That being said... I don't know, it's just tough. She's really poor in the non-physical part of the role, although it's just an opinion.
I feel like Star Wars can at least get away with it considering anyone can be of any specific race or have some kind of special skill or something that gives them the upper hand over others.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I feel like Star Wars can at least get away with it considering anyone can be of any specific race or have some kind of special skill or something that gives them the upper hand over others.
They rarely use this on-screen. It happened a lot on Clone Wars and Rebels, but rarely on the movies and this show. They'd be wise to utilize aliens as main characters in future live-action shows and movies.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
The show isn't perfect, but it is certainly well made and enjoyable to me. It isn't going to be hitting my top 10 list or anything, not even top 25 for this year, but there are plenty of things I like about it and enjoy spending 30-40 minutes watching it per week.

I love how concise the story-telling is - there are a lot of very bloated shows on netflix and other streamers that regularly run their episodes for 50, 60+ minutes when 40 would do just fine, and The Mandalorian has managed to avoid that kind of pitfall. The western aesthetic and the quietness of it are also appealing to me - it's not a sith vs jedi/empire vs rebellion kind of massive story with incredibly high stakes, and I find it quite refreshing that we can just sink into the episodes and watch Mando go about his business. It moves quickly, but it feels like the right amount of time is spent on everything.

Reactions: Beau Knows

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm glad you guys are starting to see it. This is an unbelievably bad project. A ****ing space bounty hunter and a baby Yoda in weekly woke space adventures? That's pure **** that would have been satire a few years ago. But let's watch a pure evil corporation rip off westerns in the hackiest soulless way possible to sell Baby Yoda dolls.

What does this **** have to even do with Star Wars other than an evil corporation trying to shove baby Yoda dolls down marks' throats before Christmas?

Baby Yoda is going to hit the shelves obviously but you do know that they aren't going to be there by Christmas right? Seems like they didn't quite anticipate the populatrity, but more importantly Favreau and Disney had a deal that no products would start production until the show aired, so that's underway now but they're going to miss the Christmas window. Yes Disney is a money grubbing corporation like any other, but in this specific case they put the integrity of the show ahead of Christmas toy sales.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, the success of the season comes down the to final 3 episodes. If it ends up being a great opening 3 episode arc, followed by 2 fillers, finished with a great 3 episode arc, then it'll be a very good season 1. Once Clone Wars got going, the entire series was basically a series of 2-3 episode arcs for specific characters or group of characters, so instead of 20 minutes to tell a story and move on to the next episode, you'd get an hour with them, and move on to the next arc.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
But I was told earlier in the thread that these random side quests WERE the main plot. :sarcasm:

I don't want massive spaceship battles or good guys. The space western bounty hunter thing does enough on its own, IMO. However, when you only have 8 episodes, wasting 3 episodes and advancing the plot not at all is just bad pacing. Maybe I'm just too far removed from episodic TV shows, but this show has frustrated me. Also, more IG-88, please.

It may not seem like the plot is advancing but they actually are introducing something with every episode, at an intentionally slow paced wrapped around what you could call 'filler'. Just in general with the more low key episodes:

#2 - introduce the child's force powers and start building a bond
#4 - introduce what it means to wear the helmet
#5 - a lot more subtle, but I think the point was at the very end introducing a to be revealed bounty hunter who will be the Mandalorian's rival. An actual high stake challenger, possibly Boba Fett, as opposed to the riff raff he's knocked off so far.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It may not seem like the plot is advancing but they actually are introducing something with every episode, at an intentionally slow paced wrapped around what you could call 'filler'. Just in general with the more low key episodes:

#2 - introduce the child's force powers and start building a bond
#4 - introduce what it means to wear the helmet
#5 - a lot more subtle, but I think the point was at the very end introducing a to be revealed bounty hunter who will be the Mandalorian's rival. An actual high stake challenger, possibly Boba Fett, as opposed to the riff raff he's knocked off so far.

I do think it's kind of lame that the big thing added in episode 5 is essentially an unknown cliffhanger. We already know all the bounty hunters are after him, so the only thing interesting about it, is the identity of this bounty hunter. If it actually is Boba, then it's fan-service to the extreme. Although, they would deserve credit for keeping baby Yoda and Boba Fett a secret.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Don't you dare pairing up my criticism with the eternal struggle of "wokeness". My criticism has nothing to do with that. This show is just just ranging from bad to mediocre, for whole other reasons. I think they tried to make a solid show without that crap, but they still failed hard. An actual story and an arc would've been a good start after spending $80m on... what exactly?

If only you were more upstanding than a phoenix. And apparently less self righteous. Do you know what a chimp stands for? Apparently. Do you know the symbolism of a phoenix? Do you know how many times I've heard that insult of being a chimp on this board? Do you think I care? Do you think if I create the joke, that I get hurt to hear it?

Do you want to know if I consider it great irony, how you call yourself a phoenix, only to call the chimp "soo dumb", without further explanation, like my statute doesn't even deserve an answer as of why, because I'm too dumb to understand it?

Now if you could articulate an opinion regarding WHY you consider this to be your statement, I would be more inclined to give you a good response. As of now, you deserve the same meal you served.

But since you want the slander approach, go ahead, be that person and cling on to the ridiculous avatar of a phoneix. How ironic. And OH so much your insult hurts. Reeeaaallly. Do you know why I call myself a chimp? Because we're all monkeys in ties. Your contribution certainly didn't make a breakthrough in my observations. So you're a phoenix, because of your self allocated title? Bhahahaha! Yeah. Yeah. Good choice. Really. I might be the dumb one, but my vanity certainly doesn't blow through the sky. Because I think other monkeys in ties deserve an answer, not just a shallow statement like your opinion is obvious.

Get a grip, this isn't twitter, "phoenix". So tell me, why is the chimp so dumb and why is your opinion so superior, that I don't even deserve an explanation? I can claim your deodorant smells like peanut butter. It holds as much strength as your post. Get it?

But noo, you're the great phoenix, your word only requires submittance. Ooooh, I'm in such revelance of your wise words! Next time, argue the point, not the person, oh wise one.

Funny how any upbringing of a debate leads to a total debacle. That's what you get when a trademark basically achieves religious status. Believers will always submit, even if their pope is openly milking them of money. That's the only reason Disney bought the franchise, because no matter what they do, no matter how little they care, they can't screw it over completely. Almost.

I know, I could've been more diplomatic about it, but really, a baby-Yoda doesn't cover how crappy this series is unless the analytical level of the viewer is: "Look, a baby-Yoda! Soo cuuute! And he has armour and a laser gun! And it doesn't totally suck - as the new norm! Weee!". Bah!

On a slight variation of the adage, if an infinite number of monkeys typed on an infinite number of typewriters, then eventually one of them would write a thesis?...well, we just found that monkey.

I thought someone who named themselves Chimp would have more of a sense of humor.

As for ThePhoenixx thing, it is after the god of prosperity. I can be a dink if I want. Heck, I bet that god would encourage a bit of it. ;)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I do think it's kind of lame that the big thing added in episode 5 is essentially an unknown cliffhanger. We already know all the bounty hunters are after him, so the only thing interesting about it, is the identity of this bounty hunter. If it actually is Boba, then it's fan-service to the extreme. Although, they would deserve credit for keeping baby Yoda and Boba Fett a secret.

Well, we were told that all characters are original, and Boba should be dead. So I hope it isn't.

I saw one suggestion that it is the Moff who was featured prominently in trailers but has yet to appear.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well, we were told that all characters are original, and Boba should be dead. So I hope it isn't.

I saw one suggestion that it is the Moff who was featured prominently in trailers but has yet to appear.
I seriously doubt it's Boba or Cad Bane for that matter. I'm sure it's Moff to bring in the Imperials that wanted baby Yoda. That's the only thing that makes sense. We'll finish on a 3 episode arc where we learn a bit more about baby Yoda and the Imperial's plans.

It's why some SW fans are a bit weird, they are desperate for fan service.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I seriously doubt it's Boba or Cad Bane for that matter. I'm sure it's Moff to bring in the Imperials that wanted baby Yoda. That's the only thing that makes sense. We'll finish on a 3 episode arc where we learn a bit more about baby Yoda and the Imperial's plans.

It's why some SW fans are a bit weird, they are desperate for fan service.

I should dd I really don't think it's Boba Fett and agree it would be stupid, just threw that name out there as EU said he survived the Sarlac pit apparently and I've seen the name mentioned before. So not sure why they would keep the person a secret but my impression was that was a bounty hunter bad ass enough to legitimately go after and capture an elite underworld assassin, or whatever that lady was.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I should dd I really don't think it's Boba Fett and agree it would be stupid, just threw that name out there as EU said he survived the Sarlac pit apparently and I've seen the name mentioned before. So not sure why they would keep the person a secret but my impression was that was a bounty hunter bad ass enough to legitimately go after and capture an elite underworld assassin, or whatever that lady was.
I completely understand why fans speculate it's Boba, and it's a constant problem in Disney Star Wars. They try to be clever and have this unknowns and cliffhangers and all it does it get fan expectations out of whack and set the mystery up for failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad